Wyvern Forums

Review Wyvern Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Arcade
Go Back   Wyvern Forums > Archive > Wyverneers Archive > Features and Ideas
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chatbox Today's Posts

Features and Ideas Suggestions on items, areas, quests etc

Old 01-20-2007, 10:45 PM

Veroule has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Default How to put some money in R's pocket for providing us Wyvern

I know it has been a long time since I have been around in these forums, and just about as long since I have been playing Wyvern. In any case I thought I might suggest a borrowed idea for how big R could hopefully at least get a chance at breaking even or turning a profit on Wyvern.

I have been playing a lot at another MUD for the past year, and since I had a really good job and they offer some rather interesting character perks to those with money to burn, I have burnt a fairly decent sum of money there. I think Wyvern might not have as much of an adult crowd as they have there, but there likely is enough for big R to make something.

The way they do it is you can buy CREDITS from the website. They are are also available for trade in game by way of a player run market where a player offers to sell them at a given price and other players may then purchase. These credits can be used to further train your character and also purchase special equipment with varying effects.

Now obviously if you buy the credits with real cash you can put them on the market to get gold, or you can use them towards equipments and training. The main thing being that the equipment bought by way of these credits are permanently attached to your character and can not be traded or given to another. That possibly could be different in Wyvern, but who would want to short change themselves that much if a credit market is available.

A few short ideas of items that could easily be added as available by 'credits' only, mainly due to the possibly overpowering potential of them.
Omnimagic Amulet (obvious)
Omniresist Gi (obvious)
ArchMage Amulet (+5% all resists, +1 all elements)
Wizard's Amulet (+8% all resists, +1 all elements, +1 all arts)
ArchWizard's Amulet (+10% all resists, +1 all elements, +2 all arts)

I am sure people could come up with thousands of ideas of truly overpowered items, the above is just a few fast ones on the top of my head, [b:21587]and not necessarily what I think should be in the game[/b:21587]. The whole goal would be to create a list of items that are an obvious advantage over anything that would ever be made. Even as an LQ prize! Then set reasonable prices in credits and establish a way for players to start buying.

I personally think that there are enough loyal older players that many would fork over some cash when there is a good advantage to be gained.
Old 01-21-2007, 12:56 PM

Veroule has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Donating is all well and good, I have done that lots of places that have provided me hours of enjoyment.

The idea of balance in all MUDs is skewed. In all cases there is an effort to balance different character paths against each other so that all paths have a reasonable set of strengths and weaknesses. Obviously players are never happy with this because they don't recognize that the path they have chosen for thier character must have weaknesses in order to be balanced compared to other paths.

Where the balance is skewed is often in the experience and levelling mechanics. As characters gain levels the experience they need for further advancement grows dramatically. Monsters that are 'in range' for that character's level often are much harder to kill than the experience they provide is worth. For example you can spend a half hour killing 1 monster for 1000exp or you can spend 10 minutes killing 10 monsters at 100exp each. This is generally true of all MUDs and games involving character levelling.

Wyvern being a largely non-PK base could easily handle a way for players to try to push beyond the current limits and achieve thier own balance against the monsters.
Old 01-21-2007, 01:29 PM

Drawcia has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

[quote="Veroule":23591]
For example you can spend a half hour killing 1 monster for 1000exp or you can spend 10 minutes killing 10 monsters at 100exp each. This is generally true of all MUDs and games involving character levelling.
[/quote:23591]

Which is exactly why, if I remembered correctly, weak monsters (kobolds, etc) give no exp at high levels.