Wyvern Forums

Review Wyvern Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Arcade
Go Back   Wyvern Forums > Archive > Wyvern Forums Archive > General
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chatbox Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General For serious discussions about general Wyvern topics.

Old 05-05-2014, 02:38 PM
Wizardess

Teshuvah has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodlove View Post
Lol, when did you mention a map editor?
He actually did, the message is up there on May 2.
Old 05-05-2014, 06:37 PM

Josiah has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

That I did, mate.
Old 05-06-2014, 09:30 AM
Player Mod

Nodlove has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Let me clarify, you said you're making a map editor just now, and you said before about having someone helping you make maps (using the map editor), this didn't seem like a declaration of making your own. I apologize for this assumption, but you really should specify WHICH map editor you're talking about, to me, "The Map Editor" = "The Wyvern Map Editor" unless otherwise noted. =)

And I'd definitely be interested to see this map editor you're making. Hopefully you programmed it cross platform, I'm running a Mac. I once tried my hand at making a map editor with the PyGame module and Python, and it sucked really bad, ate up too many system resources (my idiocy at the time led me to refreshing the text file I was saving to every time my loop ran back to where I was - It autosaved, but it also refreshed tremendous amounts of data at once.)

Maybe I'm feeding a troll right now, but I'd also be interested to see a little of your code (I'm not trying to rip it off, just want to see where you are now vs. where you were [nowhere?] a few months ago.) Why not take a screencap (video) of your map editor running and then your game running to show that your game actually loads your maps? You could always set it up so that in the terminal, you can just type (say you're using Java, for pseudo-purposes) java MySuperCoolGame AmazingMap.map ... That way testing your maps is much easier. You just need to have the program check for args, and if you have them, bring them into a function that will read your map for you, and if you don't, have it start from wherever either you last were or your default start location is. =D Many programming languages come with this functionality, so whatever your using shouldn't be a big deal in doing this, either.

Last edited by Nodlove : 05-06-2014 at 09:32 AM.
Old 05-06-2014, 12:11 PM

I think I made it pretty clear I was making one from scratch when I said
Quote:
I've been working on a map editor
And alas, I haven no idea if it works on Mac's, since it's an executable Gamemaker file, it's made in one compact file.

And I actually have no idea how to take a video aside from using certain things you download online (I have a camera in my laptop already), and if I just gave you screenshots, you wouldn't believe me anymore than last time I gave screenshots, so that really isn't an option.
But yeah, that's basically what I did, there is a function to save the map into a .ini file -- it saves it in an array, the coordinates, then an integer which will be the ID for a specific type of terrain (for unknown reason to me, I cannot use strings with arrays) -- then I also have a function that reads the file, and when it finds something like this
Terrain[32, 32] = 3
That might be a dark Grass Terrain at specific coordinates. But Game maker already has a built in function to make one of those pop ups that asks you where you want to save something (then you still have to do something with where you want to save it, it basically just finds a place in your computer for you). Did you want a piece of the actual code? Because I can do that :P
Old 05-06-2014, 01:05 PM

Brionac has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Well, i'm convinced.
Old 05-06-2014, 07:34 PM
Forum Admin

Arilou has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodlove View Post
Hopefully you programmed it cross platform, I'm running a Mac.
Ahahahahaha! Programmed... good one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josiah View Post
I think I made it pretty clear I was making one from scratch when I said
Only you didn't actually make it from scratch.

Quote:
you wouldn't believe me anymore than last time I gave screenshots, so that really isn't an option.
I, for one, totally believed you made those. If you were going to post fake screenshots, you would have went out and found something that actually looked good - As I told you at the time, I believed you were really doing this from the second you mentioned Game Maker, I just wanted to lure you into posting screenshots so I could see exactly how bad they were. Of course, they were about where I thought they'd be given your age and lack of experience. This is usually the part where you throw a fit and act all offended, but very few people are capable of designing quality maps on their first go. For many it takes quite a bit of practice so there is no shame in being inexperienced at this stage in your life.
Old 05-06-2014, 10:38 PM

Okay, I just want to get this straight, you do realize, that Game Maker is real language...right? In other words it should / would be considered making it from scratch?

So far (by what I've heard from you) it looks like any language that you have to use another program to work with, would not considered making something from scratch, which would mean if you make a game with Eclipse it isn't from scratch. Which would be completely and utterly ridiculous to say >_<
Old 05-06-2014, 10:45 PM
Player Mod

Halloween has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
GameMaker allows users to create a cross-platform video game using drag and drop or a scripting language known as Game Maker Language, which can be used to develop more advanced games that could not be created just by using the drag and drop features. GameMaker was designed to allow novice computer programmers to be able to make computer games without much programming knowledge by use of these actions."
Quote:
GameMaker is designed to allow its users to easily develop video games without having to learn a complex programming language such as C++ or Java through its proprietary drag and drop system, in the hopes of users unfamiliar with traditional programming creating games by visually organizing icons on the screen.[4] These icons represent actions that would occur in a game, such as movement, basic drawing, and simple control structures. It is also possible to create custom "action libraries" using the Library Maker.
None of this sounds like "from scratch" or even an accepted coding language.
Old 05-06-2014, 11:08 PM
Player Mod

Irlazy has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

I just wanna say it has been really amusing watching all this over the months. Also I agree with Salk. Either accept the criticism or stop coming back and drawing attention back to yourself Josiah. At this point there isn't a single person here that doesn't believe you are working on something. Just stop trying to act like your doing something on a larger scale then you are. I hope you continue your endeavors and make progress with what you are doing if its something you are really interested in but dude come on! If you need help with something just ask for it. The way you have handled things though has really showed everyone how immature you are and you have alienated a lot of people that could of been allies and teachers. I wish you luck with your project but I really think that it has been crippled by your combative and overly defensive attitude you have had over the course of this thread.
Old 05-07-2014, 12:31 AM

Honestly, I wasn't looking for allies / teachers, I learned Game maker by myself, along with several other languages. And for the allies, I honestly just wanted feedback, Arilou is the main source for this whole 'debate'.

Quote:
None of this sounds like "from scratch" or even an accepted coding language.
My answer to this. after asking someone if it is considered a real language
Quote:
short answer: yes.

long answer: Technically it's a scripting language: and a scripting language is defined according to Wikipedia:

Quote:
A scripting language or script language is a programming language that supports scripts, programs written for a special run-time environment that can interpret (rather thancompile) and automate the execution of tasks that could alternatively be executed one-by-one by a human operator. Environments that can be automated through scripting includesoftware applications, web pages within a web browser, the shells of operating systems (OS), and embedded systems. A scripting language can be viewed as a domain-specific language for a particular environment; in the case of scripting an application, this is also known as an extension language. Scripting languages are also sometimes referred to as very high-level programming languages, as they operate at a high level of abstraction, or as control languages, particularly for job control languages on mainframes.

So, yes, GML is a real programming language, a high level programming language. It's major downfall stems from the fact that it can only, realistically, be used in the GM IDE which again is the main source of the ridicule. If GML would be a stand-alone language it would be just as valid as any other language.To be honest it is no different than JAVA; which is essentially bound to its interpreter. Game maker is bound to the IDE while Java is bound to the executioner, albeit the interpreter is so common we don't even consider it to be bound at all, it is considered a stable to have some variation Java.

Last edited by Josiah : 05-07-2014 at 02:33 AM.
Old 05-07-2014, 12:50 AM

Salkand has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Send a message via AIM to Salkand

Hay, did anyone else hear about Arilou building that Bookshelf? All he had to do was open up the box and put it together via the instructions. He did it totally from scratch! It's amazing! He's such a good carpenter that I think I should pay him top dollar to build that bench I bought at CVS today.
Old 05-07-2014, 12:54 AM
Player Mod

Halloween has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Interesting. Still, on a wider level it's unlikely than GML will get the same recognition as established languages (C, COBAL, Java, etc.), or even runs the same. I did notice an interesting point in the wiki for it, though:

Quote:
The GMLC first turns GML code into C++ code
Without firsthand experience with the language I can't accurately compare it to COBOL, C, or Java, but I'm also not too interested in looking into it either. I made a couple of games in the past and, as simplistic as they were, they're hard to make from scratch.

If you end up with anything decent, though, you should show it off. Accomplishing a good game even with help is hard.

EDIT: Though, I will note, depending on exactly how high-level this language is, the comparison of building a bookshelf from mailed parts with instructions and everything may not be inaccurate. All programming languages are higher-level, to a degree, but it seems to be a very high-level language.

Last edited by Halloween : 05-07-2014 at 01:08 AM.
Old 05-07-2014, 01:35 AM
Player Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arilou View Post
Ahahahahaha! Programmed... good one.
xD that was just for you.

And for the record, I made Parmesan Crusted Chicken from scratch the other day. TGIFriday gave me a menu, I ordered it, and it was done, and let me tell you... I make a mean PCC (that's what me and my chef buddies I went with call it for short.)

Last edited by Nodlove : 05-07-2014 at 01:36 AM. Reason: accidentally deleted end quote tag
Old 05-07-2014, 02:32 AM

Quote:
The GMLC first turns GML code into C++ code
That sounds cool o.o
But what is GMLC...?

Parmesan Crusted Chicken :O
Sounds delicious :P
Old 05-07-2014, 03:15 AM
Forum Admin

Here is part 1 of a 4 part video on putting together a map editor with Game Maker - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3xPjtPstnE

It shows a truncated approach with minimal GML use, but it nevertheless gets across the point that all one has to do is select the objects they want to include, make some quick edits to customize variables of one's choosing, and do a little bit of scripting. Anyone who knows what they are doing can design a proper map editor using this approach in about a day. In comparison, Rhialto, who also knew what was he doing, spent a month coding a map editor from scratch, writing every aspect of it all by himself. Likewise he spent years coding every aspect of Wyvern which amounted to around 500,000 lines of code. But apparently we are not supposed to treat that as a special accomplishment and instead lump what he did in what what Josiah has been doing by saying they both "made" a game "from scratch." Hmm... yeah, that makes total sense.

Oh and did anyone else catch the bit where Josiah said he now taught himself multiple programming languages? As of a few months ago he was unable to figure out javascript and knows so little about languages like Java that he cannot speak about them himself and instead has to resort to posting quotes from other people (notice he doesn't ask these people if what he is doing with Game Maker is equivalent to coding a whole game from scratch). But now we're supposed to believe he's the programming language guru?
Old 05-07-2014, 02:27 PM
Player Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arilou View Post
Oh and did anyone else catch the bit where Josiah said he now taught himself multiple programming languages? As of a few months ago he was unable to figure out javascript and knows so little about languages like Java that he cannot speak about them himself and instead has to resort to posting quotes from other people (notice he doesn't ask these people if what he is doing with Game Maker is equivalent to coding a whole game from scratch). But now we're supposed to believe he's the programming language guru?
It's funny because he probably can barely write a "GML" (shortening such an awful scripting language makes a bad taste in my mouth) script anyway.

Josiah, there are programs you can use to make video screen captures.

And the argument that
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josiah
So far (by what I've heard from you) it looks like any language that you have to use another program to work with, would not considered making something from scratch, which would mean if you make a game with Eclipse it isn't from scratch. Which would be completely and utterly ridiculous to say >_<
is totally ridiculous - any legit programming language could be written in a plain text editor (Notepad on Windows, TextEdit on Macs, etc.) and compiled using a terminal - things that are not externally made specifically for the languages but can be made to function with them. If GML does not pass this test, it is not a REAL programming language. End of story. If you have a problem with this, feel free to contact any college professor in a Computer Science division, I'm sure they'd be happy to talk to you about it. But I'm sure since this is a long paragraph, you're going to disregard it like with all of Arilou's posts.

The only reason programs like Eclipse exist is for the IDE aspect, (Integrated Development Environment), as in it will help you code more efficiently by pointing out syntax errors and highlighting functions, variables, classes, etc., automatically indenting for you to keep the code clean. But you don't HAVE TO use eclipse, netbeans, IDLE, or any of those things. Plain text editor and a command line - all you should need. You may have to set some PATH variables, but that's not too hard for a programming genius like yourself.

Last edited by Nodlove : 05-07-2014 at 02:30 PM.
Old 05-08-2014, 12:21 AM

All I have to say to you, Arilou, is I got JS and Java mixed up, so I thought JS was the one you would use with Eclipse.
Old 05-08-2014, 12:23 AM
Player Mod

Quote:
That sounds cool o.o
But what is GMLC...?

Parmesan Crusted Chicken :O
Sounds delicious :P
I'm assuming the C stands for compiler.
And it is extremely delicious, when you get the big boy menu you should order it, and a mudslide! =D

Last edited by Nodlove : 05-08-2014 at 12:24 AM. Reason: correcting my phone's auto correct mistakes
Old 05-08-2014, 12:25 AM

Ahh, thanks, and Arilou, I just saw the video, that guy barely even used any of the actual language >_<

I probably should have said this before, but
Quote:
But I'm sure since this is a long paragraph, you're going to disregard it like with all of Arilou's posts.
Just because I don't mention it, doesn't mean I ignored it.

Quote:
The only reason programs like Eclipse exist is for the IDE aspect, (Integrated Development Environment), as in it will help you code more efficiently by pointing out syntax errors and highlighting functions, variables, classes, etc., automatically indenting for you to keep the code clean. But you don't HAVE TO use eclipse, netbeans, IDLE, or any of those things. Plain text editor and a command line - all you should need. You may have to set some PATH variables
And yeah, the only thing I didn't know here was what IDE stood for, and seriously, stop calling me a 'coding genius', I never implied that I am, because I most definitely am not, but I do know more than almost everyone else my age.
Old 05-08-2014, 07:29 AM
Forum Admin

Quote:
All I have to say to you, Arilou, is I got JS and Java mixed up, so I thought JS was the one you would use with Eclipse.
*face palm* I was getting the impression that you didn't know the difference between the two of them awhile back...

"My only point was that GML was no C++... or Java... wait, you know Java ≠ Javascript, right? I'm kind of getting nervous that you think I was shortening Javascript by just calling it Java."

http://www.wyvernrpg.com/forum/showp...&postcount=157

Quote:
Ahh, thanks, and Arilou, I just saw the video, that guy barely even used any of the actual language >_<
If you did see the video then you would have heard him explain at the end of the first one that people should use GML at that point, but he was skipping past it for the purposes of his demonstration. Like I said in my previous post, it truncates the process, but the full process really isn't all that much more complicated. It's just a little more scripting and a little more time intensive. But someone who knows what they're doing should be able to do it in about a day.