Wyvern Forums

Review Wyvern Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Arcade
Go Back   Wyvern Forums > Archive > Wyvern Forums Archive > Off Topic
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chatbox Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off Topic Discuss anything unrelated to Wyvern here, within reason.

View Poll Results: Have you ever had a hard drive crash?
Yes, I lost a lot of good data. 1 33.33%
Yes, thankfully I backed everything up. 0 0%
No. 2 66.67%
Yes, it had my whole Wyvern clone on it! 0 0%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-10-2014, 07:09 PM
Player Mod

Nodlove has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Default Hard Drive Failure/Crashing

Hey Wyverneers
I've come to pose a question, have you ever had a hard drive crash? Most of us have, I assume. I would be interested in knowing about the worst hard drive crash you've had, when it was, and the magnitude of the lost data. Not out of sick joy, but due to a need to commiserate. I'll go first!
I've had an external hard drive for going on about 5 years. I've known for a while that its end would be soon, and I hadn't had a chance to back it up. Yesterday I finally sat down to back it up. I was in the process of sorting, rar'ing, and encrypting my files, when it crashed mid-backup, before I got almost anything from it.
We'll start with what I didn't lose. I didn't lose the end-product of all of the files that make up my graphic design portfolio. I lost a couple, but thankfully they're in my online portfolio already, and in some way salvageable. I know what all my work was on that front, and I could replicate it if I like. That was the first thing I grabbed.
However, the assortment of unsorted production files, lots of .indd's, .psd's, .ai's, .c4d's, .fla's, .unitypackage's, .py's, .flp's, and other raw production files, and lots of .jpg's I shot, are all (to the extent of my abilities), lost forever on a hard disk. Not to mention years of cherished memories, short stories, small projects... I have been a hobbyist electronic musician for years, and not that it was any good, but my whole discography is gone (unless this guy I once sold the 'every album' file I had still has it, gotta go ask him that after I'm done with this). Not to mention albums that my friends and I made in bands and what-have-you.
This also includes projects I was still working on that I was storing there because my hard drive on my computer was getting full. It was heart breaking. Memories I can never get back, except what I can summon from my brain. Pictures of dead pets, long-forgotten memories of some fun thing I was into...
I digress. Anyone else care to share your stories so I may potentially feel better?
I have yet to have access to a PC to attempt to salvage my files with, so we'll see what happens there, but my Mac doesn't recognize any of the files on it anymore as existing - I go in and it says, "0 files, 554 MB remaining." So here's hoping!

P.S., I wish my signature was true at the end of this story.
Old 10-10-2014, 09:07 PM
Forum Admin

Arilou has disabled reputation

I lost one paragraph on a short story and a couple pages of zany things someone I know said when the HDD died on my laptop. It was heartbreaking (multiply whatever you're feeling by a factor of 10). I'm very diligent about making regular backups and had backed up my data prior to that, but now I don't trust saving anything on my laptop. As such, I have come to always save things directly to a flash drive and then make regular backups of what I have stored there.

I still save things directly to my PC though and, before someone mentions it, I refuse to have my files automatically backed up online. Also, I do make backups of my backups and I'm not saying I have a fire proof box for my backups, but I'm not saying I don't.

On the plus side, I'm not so bad off that I save plastic wrap, so yay me.