Wyvern Forums

Review Wyvern Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Arcade
Go Back   Wyvern Forums > Archive > Wyvern Forums Archive > General
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chatbox Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General For serious discussions about general Wyvern topics.

Old 01-14-2014, 03:44 PM
Player Mod

Clubbz has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josiah View Post
Convinced yet? This is what it looked like before I started from scratch multiplayer....
No I am not convinced. If that's "what it looked like before you started again from scratch", why did it take so long to post a screenshot? There is many tools online that would enable someone to create enough of a product to get a few screenshots.

I'm not here to ridicule you either, I could care less how much you want to make a clone of wyvern, but the reason why people poke so much fun at you is because you keep acting like you have something to prove to them. You keep looking for validation for what you claim you are doing. Applause is supposed to come after the show, not in rehearsal. If you're so determined to gain credit and prove people wrong, quit coming back here to try to tell people how wrong they are, and how awesome you are. Just do the work, and finish what you consider to be the product. It's alright to have goals and ambitions, but you shouldn't be so blinded by the desire to have others acknowledge it.

Now you'll probably reply in some way saying we don't read your posts, or we really are slow, or blah blah blah. But really, you're the one who keeps coming back to it, and you're the one who literally talked himself in circles and contradictions.
Old 01-14-2014, 08:54 PM
Player Mod

Nodlove has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clubbz View Post
No I am not convinced. If that's "what it looked like before you started again from scratch", why did it take so long to post a screenshot? There is many tools online that would enable someone to create enough of a product to get a few screenshots.

I'm not here to ridicule you either, I could care less how much you want to make a clone of wyvern, but the reason why people poke so much fun at you is because you keep acting like you have something to prove to them. You keep looking for validation for what you claim you are doing. Applause is supposed to come after the show, not in rehearsal. If you're so determined to gain credit and prove people wrong, quit coming back here to try to tell people how wrong they are, and how awesome you are. Just do the work, and finish what you consider to be the product. It's alright to have goals and ambitions, but you shouldn't be so blinded by the desire to have others acknowledge it.

Now you'll probably reply in some way saying we don't read your posts, or we really are slow, or blah blah blah. But really, you're the one who keeps coming back to it, and you're the one who literally talked himself in circles and contradictions.
*Starts a slow clap.*

And bravo on figuring out how to start world building in Game Maker, Josiah, and ripping arch files. You're only 1/200,000 of the way there! 1/500,000 if you consider going back later and removing all copyrighted content. (Though, I admit, if I didn't know any better, I may have been slightly impressed with your screen shots. But I do know better. x)

Also, I'd be more interested to see a screencap of actually gameplay, rather than screenshots, especially since you're showing that you "shout"ed, and that you have a fighting system at least partially in place. Speaking of which, "enjoy your name"?

Last edited by Nodlove : 01-14-2014 at 08:58 PM.
Old 01-15-2014, 12:39 AM

Josiah has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
In case you forgot, I'm 14, I don't go browsing the internet for these things, also, how could I possibly do that so fast? this took me about 5 minutes to take a screenshot, then put on imgur and share. Also, I don't want to share a video because that would make me go outside of the building, which is pretty embarrassing, due to my town having about 6 building, and its all grass and dirt roads. And I took so long to post a screenshot, because nobody asked for one up to now(not that I know of anyways).
Quote:

I don't have anything to prove to you, because you wouldn't believe me either way, you just think it is completely and utterly impossible for me to program. And really, when nothing interesting happens, I leave the forum for a couple weeks, and I come back, and every once in a while I find someone decided to go back to this forum and 'ridicule' me as you say. Am I really the one that keeps coming back?

And Nodlove, I can show you a hundred more like this, I can show screenshot after screenshot, would you even believe me if I showed you a video? And I don't even know what ripping arch files is....?
EDIT: The name thing, you would have to see my username/password system to understand that...

Last edited by Josiah : 01-15-2014 at 12:46 AM.
Old 01-15-2014, 09:24 AM
Wizardess

Teshuvah has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Haven't been on since my last post :P
You want a screenshot you say?
http://imgur.com/W2KDrze,eWiRtSd,ccdcms5#0
http://imgur.com/W2KDrze,eWiRtSd,ccdcms5#1
http://imgur.com/W2KDrze,eWiRtSd,ccdcms5#2
Convinced yet? This is what it looked like before I started from scratch multiplayer.... It has some things I am going to change, like the chatbox's font, and some graphics are horrible. But I would be willing to change anything that would be illegal due to copyright problems.
Your photoshopping of screen shots of Wyvern is commendable.
Old 01-15-2014, 11:58 AM

Wow guys..... Is there anything I can do to convince you? Other then taking a video? Don't you need some kind of software to take videos on your computer?
Old 01-15-2014, 02:42 PM
Player Mod

Dracco has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Wow guys..... Is there anything I can do to convince you? Other then taking a video? Don't you need some kind of software to take videos on your computer?
A free program called FRAPS, and don't use my art.
Old 01-15-2014, 04:29 PM

Okay, I have no idea what FRAPS is, and I am not using your art, dude. look more closely
Old 01-15-2014, 04:52 PM
Player Mod

Clubbz has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
In case you forgot, I'm 14, I don't go browsing the internet for these things,
You're age really has nothing to do with what you search for, or what you have the ability to search for online. If you can claim that you're creating an awesome multiplayer game similar to wyvern, you're much more than capable of finding online tools.

Quote:
And really, when nothing interesting happens, I leave the forum for a couple weeks, and I come back, and every once in a while I find someone decided to go back to this forum and 'ridicule' me as you say. Am I really the one that keeps coming back?
Yes, you are the one who keeps coming back. These people don't "decide to come back". They're people who typically check the forum on a regular basis. I have no real expectation of reading anything of value here, but I still check it quite frequently. I don't always log in, but I'm here, as are others. You on the other hand always reply to other posts trying to tell them they're wrong about you or your post, you post about what leaps and bounds you're making. These people clearly don't believe you, and yet you keep coming back to try to prove that it's real, and you're right. So you can claim that you have nothing to prove, but you seem bent on proving that you do.
Old 01-15-2014, 05:16 PM

Yeah, because I'm sure you would just click x if you saw that people were trying to convince everybody that your just some lying little kid. And really, I'm 14, I have school, I know nothing about those programs that you make worlds or whatever, I wouldn't even know what to search for? If you don't believe me, why do you put up with me? Why not just ignore all my posts?
Old 01-15-2014, 06:29 PM
Player Mod

Dracco has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Okay, I have no idea what FRAPS is, and I am not using your art, dude. look more closely
In the thread http://www.wyvernrpg.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2453 you asked to use my elf picture, in which I never gave you permission, and now you posted evidence that you blatantly edited my art slightly to use for your own purposes.

As for FRAPS, there is a thing called a search engine which have existed for around 20 years now.
Old 01-15-2014, 06:49 PM

Can you honestly tell me these 2 images are the same?
http://imgur.com/gC7UI8p
Put them in paint, zoom in. I made it from scratch. I saw yours, and tried to make one as good as it, but seriously. Mine isn't half as good as yours, thanks for the compliment thought.

EDIT: Yes, I know, I just realized how alike the pants are. But look at all the body proportions, totally different, mine also looks a little deformed, but hey! I'm not the best artist, and this took me about an hour and a half tops.

Last edited by Josiah : 01-15-2014 at 06:51 PM.
Old 01-15-2014, 09:23 PM
Forum Admin

Arilou has disabled reputation

If it makes you feel better, I have believed that you were messing around in Game Maker since you first mentioned it in the chatbox. What I have never believed (and what nobody here has ever believed whether or not they believe you about your latest claims) is that you were coding a MMORPG from scratch. The problem is that even though you're now saying that's not what you were doing, people had repeatedly said that's what they thought you were up to and you would proceed to respond by saying they didn't know you and you didn't understand why they didn't believe you. Thus indicating (by your lack of denials) that that was in fact what you were trying to do.

However, now you're attempting to claim that when you said you were making your own game all that time, you were really just messing around with an amateur program and you weren't even making a multiplayer game (again, despite all the people saying they didn't believe you could make a MMORPG). You even said that you were experienced in response to someone saying that you would need experience "in building large scale applications involving a Server" in order to complete the kind of project it looked like you were talking about. But you're not only inexperienced where that is concerned, but you're inexperienced with the software you're using.

After all, you bought Game Maker's line that you can use it to "make" your own game when really it's used to do level design work within an existing game engine. Also, you admitted that you were learning a scripting language for the first time after announcing this endeavor so you're not an experienced coder and your designs are so poor that you clearly don't even have experience making areas. So I can't even imagine what experience you were claiming to have.

All in all, that software is for people who want to pretend that they're actually making their own games (like you've been doing - you're no more making your own game than I did when I used the map editor to make stuff for Wyvern) and for people who want to develop experience so that they can graduate to actually making their own games or working on professional ones down the line. The reason I asked you to post screenshots was not because I didn't believe this latest Game Maker claim of yours, but because I wanted to confirm the poor quality of what you were doing. You actually surprised me because they were worse than I thought - I expected the lack of detail, but I didn't expect the numerous rip-off attempts.

Obviously, at your age you don't know better and you actually should be messing around with scripting languages and software like this if you want to develop your craft. But, as I tried to tell you in an early post that you said you didn't read, it's perfectly reasonable to be trying to gain experience right now, (that can't be accomplished by copying other people's layouts/work - if you're not going to try to push yourself to come up with stuff on your own, you're learning very little) but it's quite another to claim you're already experienced and can make a complete game of your own. I'm perfectly fine with the explanation that you just have no idea what you're talking about, so what you think you've been doing and how you attempt to explain that has been all over the place. But because it's been all over the place, are you really surprised people don't even believe what you've been saying lately? Unfortunately, that's a stupid question on my part because you're not even aware of how over the place your posts have been based on your repeated claims that other people were the ones who weren't paying attention to what you were saying.
Old 01-16-2014, 01:31 AM

Arilou, I have no idea why you are talking about, you mix up everything I say. I never said I'm not making one, and I never said I don't understand why you don't believe me. Seriously, why do you hate me so? You have pretty much been mad at me since sentence number one, all the way back of when Wyvern actually existed.

And that stuff about a server? Either that was a while ago(when I was either 12 or 13) where I was just angry at you guys, and I just don't remember it, or you are making this up(Yes, I'm to lazy to go through the 7 pages of posts). And the language, it is not just an engine, it is like Eclipse, and it is even similar to JavaScript, but it has a few built in variable. And the bad Quality, how are you supposed to know from three screenshots? Half of the things you were looking at were probably the ones that were temporary, then there are a couple I plan to keep permanently.

And last of all, I actually find your lack of faith in the next generation pretty funny, people actually say that experienced people will not be able to compete with us because we grew up in it, which I do not believe, but still, I find it humorous how opposite you are from them.

EDIT: Yes, I do realize how all over my posts were, but half of those seem like things that they were not meant to mean (if that makes sense?).

Last edited by Josiah : 01-16-2014 at 01:33 AM.
Old 01-16-2014, 09:16 AM

Crier has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Send a message via AIM to Crier

Quote:
And that stuff about a server? Either that was a while ago(when I was either 12 or 13) where I was just angry at you guys, and I just don't remember it, or you are making this up(Yes, I'm to lazy to go through the 7 pages of posts).
Why can't you remember what happened a year ago? Not only that...too lazy for seven pages? Too much reading for a coder right?
Quote:
And the bad Quality, how are you supposed to know from three screenshots? Half of the things you were looking at were probably the ones that were temporary, then there are a couple I plan to keep permanently.
I just wanted to point out how vague and foolish this last part sounded.
(I added the bold to show why I was confused)
"Big Brother in the form of an increasingly powerful government and in an increasingly powerful private sector will pile the records high with reasons why privacy should give way to national security, to law and order [...] and the like." - Justice William O. Douglas

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security would deserve neither and lose both." -Benjamin Franklin
Old 01-16-2014, 11:37 AM
Forum Admin

If you want to prove that you have the attention span to make your own game, a good way to go about that would be to prove you're capable of reading [and understanding] a post of this length:

Quote:
I have no idea why you are talking about, you mix up everything I say
No, you forget what you say and have problems understanding what I write, mostly because you don't properly read my posts. Apparently the same laziness that prevents you from rereading something you said in the past, makes you unwilling to fully read anything that is longer than a paragraph.

Quote:
I never said I'm not making one
I'm aware that you did not say that you weren't making your own game. What I am saying is that by you stating that you are using Game Maker, you have revealed that you're not making your own game even though you don't understand that you're not. I had this conversation with you in the chatbox, but you don't seem to recall.

Basically, I told you that GM allows people to do level and basic game design work. It doesn't allow you to actually make your own game. For people who want to build their way up to that, using this software is a good way to obtain experience. But, there isn't enough of a market for a program targeted specifically to people who are seriously trying to work their way up to actually making games. So they market it as something that allows anyone to "make" their own game as a way of attracting 13 year olds who want to feel like they're capable of that.

It's like how sites like freewebs promote their services by saying people can use them to "build their own websites." In reality, they're not actually building their own website, they're inputting some text and hitting submit so that the site's code then builds the website for them. Hence, people can put these sites together without actually knowing html and you can put these games together without knowing how to actually code (please don't respond to this by again saying that your basic understanding of a scripting language means you're a coder).

When I said this, you didn't understand what I was talking about as you proceeded to say that you would've been lying if you didn't say you were "making" your own game and happily went on your way thinking that that was actually what you have been doing all this time. When, again, you're making content for an existing game that has a platform in place which allows for customization so it seems like what you create is its own game

Quote:
I never said I don't understand why you don't believe me.
Yes, yes you did.

Quote:
Seriously, why do you hate me so? You have pretty much been mad at me since sentence number one, all the way back of when Wyvern actually existed.
You kept breaking the rules and wouldn't listen then either. I wasn't angry with you. However, it was frustrating to try to repeatedly explain to a 9 year old that they needed to stop doing something if they wanted to be able to play when they wouldn't listen to you and have too low of an attention span to read the rules as you told them to do. Since you didn't understand what rules I was enforcing, you seem to be of the mindset that I had it in for you, but I did not.

Quote:
And that stuff about a server? Either that was a while ago(when I was either 12 or 13) where I was just angry at you guys, and I just don't remember it, or you are making this up(Yes, I'm to lazy to go through the 7 pages of posts
Oh for Pete's sake. I just quoted the post where you said that at the bottom of page 7. But since you apparently didn't read that, here's a direct link to the post of yours I was referring to: http://www.wyvernrpg.com/forum/showp...4&postcount=11

Quote:
And the language, it is not just an engine, it is like Eclipse, and it is even similar to JavaScript, but it has a few built in variable
You're not understanding. The language (GML) that you're using is a scripting language (yes, like Javascript). It is not an engine... at all. The existing game engine I was referring to is the one that the people who designed this software made. You are making areas and scripts for that engine which other people coded in a complex language like C++ or Java. That is why I keep saying that you're not making your own game. They made the game for you and put things in place that allow you to customize it.

Again, what you're doing is the same thing any wizard on Wyvern could do. They make maps in the mapeditor, arch files in XML, and write brief code, usually in python, that allows them to customize things further. They are not making their own games when they are doing this, they are working on an existing one. And so are you. It doesn't matter that there aren't other people also working on content for your game. It may have a different facade, but at its core it's the same old game.

Quote:
And the bad Quality, how are you supposed to know from three screenshots?
I have been receiving bad map submissions from players wanting to be wizards since 2003. In all that time I've never encountered anyone as young as you who was capable of producing well designed maps. The youngest person who did so was 15 and he he had an exceptional eye for design, so he was a fluke. But every single thing from 12, 13, and 14 year olds was always bad and almost always exceptionally bad. 16-18 is the age group from which we'd start getting decent map submissions.

What you presented is no different from any submission from someone in your age group. In a word, they're bland and I don't need to see more maps to know that the rest will be as well. Again, I have a lot of experience reviewing people's work and so I know that people who are capable of well designed content aren't going to have a few poorly designed maps and then a bunch of really good ones. Plus, these are the ones you picked to showcase, which means you likely think they are among your best (even if they are the best of your "experimental" maps). Especially considering you said you would be embarrassed to show any of your outdoor work because it wasn't well developed.

None of this is to put you down. At 14 you're supposed to be coming up with horribly designed content. The point for anyone in such a position is to work at it and try to develop their craft over several years. They may find that they aren't artistically inclined and don't get anywhere at it, but they may also find that they have a knack for it and in fact get good at it with experience (very few people come out with amazing designs right out of the gate).

My issue with you is that you have fallen into the trap of thinking you can just sit down and make a high quality game at your age, which you cannot. But, again, that's not a bad thing as nobody but a few prodigies can. For everyone else, now is the time to work toward becoming experienced by tinkering away at lower levels (which you are doing regardless of whether you want to accept that that's what the software you're using is for).

Quote:
And last of all, I actually find your lack of faith in the next generation pretty funny, people actually say that experienced people will not be able to compete with us because we grew up in it, which I do not believe, but still, I find it humorous how opposite you are from them
I'm not so old that I haven't grown up with computers. That quote is tailor made for my generation and has been reapplied to your generation as there will still be pre-PC geriatrics around when you get into the work force. The reason you likely don't believe it's true is because you encounter a lot of young(ish) adults who also grew up with computers, whereas that wasn't the case for my generation.

That means there are a lot of people older than you who know all the tricks and so they're not going to buy it when teenagers try to convince themselves/others that they are more capable than they are. In my day, *waves a cane at you* the mass majority of older people might as well have thought of computers as magic. So all kids had to do to convince them that they were computer whizs was to throw in a few technical terms and show an aptitude to use basic functions. Then you could claim to be a super hacker, which was the "I can make my own games" of the day.

Basically, I'm not saying your generation is incapable, I am saying that you have a ways to go before you can obtain real experience because I am all too familiar with people of my generation pretending (and trying to convince themselves) that they were further along than they were at young ages. So I can spot it when people your age do that too. Not to mention I spent a decade moderating a game filled with people of your age who would do this same thing time & time again. Anyway, I told you something similar in an early post that you chose not to read. Here's a link (read the last paragraph): http://www.wyvernrpg.com/forum/showp...0&postcount=26

To sum up, I was trying to be nice and let you know that you could maybe develop an ability to design your own games over time if you worked at it. But now is the time when you need to learn the fundamentals so you can work your way up to that (playing around in GM is a good way to do that, just don't be fooled into thinking you're doing more than you are by using it). However, after you told me you barely read any of that I stopped feeling bad for you and begin posting snarky replies.

Quote:
Yes, I do realize how all over my posts were, but half of those seem like things that they were not meant to mean (if that makes sense?)
Yes, you have a problem explaining yourself, I get that. The issue is that you then get angry and accuse people of not reading what you wrote when really you're angry with people for not knowing what's in your head (you often seem to be of the impression that you've put things you think into words when you have not).
Old 01-16-2014, 06:14 PM

'I have no idea why you are talking about, you mix up everything I say' - Don't try and tell me you have never had a typo. And seriously, I've probably read more than my mom and dad together, so don't even bother with the
'Apparently the same laziness that prevents you from rereading something you said in the past, makes you unwilling to fully read anything that is longer than a paragraph.', you guys are so busy criticizing me you don't realize how stupid some of the things you say sound.

'Basically, I told you that GM allows people to do level and basic game design work. It doesn't allow you to actually make your own game. For people who want to build their way up to that, using this software is a good way to obtain experience. But, there isn't enough of a market for a program targeted specifically to people who are seriously trying to work their way up to actually making games. So they market it as something that allows anyone to "make" their own game as a way of attracting 13 year olds who want to feel like they're capable of that.

It's like how sites like freewebs promote their services by saying people can use them to "build their own websites." In reality, they're not actually building their own website, they're inputting some text and hitting submit so that the site's code then builds the website for them. Hence, people can put these sites together without actually knowing html and you can put these games together without knowing how to actually code (please don't respond to this by again saying that your basic understanding of a scripting language means you're coder).' - Maybe if you actually tried Game Maker, you would know what you were talking about? As I said, I have tried JS, and honestly I think it was easier than GM. There are a lot of shortcuts to doing things, whereas in GM, you have to do some harder things with larger pieces of code. And really, if it wasn't a real language, would it have Booleans? For Loops? Switch Statements? Executable Code? It has pretty much everything, except a couple like the Math.floor, where it would be more like floor(Math). But the majority, I think is like JS.

'When I said this, you didn't understand what I was talking about as you proceed to say that you would've been lying if you didn't say you were "making" your own game and happily went on your way thinking that that was actually what you have been doing all this time. When, again, you're making content for an existing game that has a platform in place which allows for customization so it seems like what you create is its own game' - You seem to think everything I say is directed at you, and you alone. You are the only one(and someone else whom I prefer to keep his privacy so you don't start criticizing him) who believes I am making a game at all, whether with a fake language, or not, you're still the only one(s).

'You kept breaking the rules and wouldn't listen then either. I wasn't angry with you. However, it was frustrating to try to repeatedly explain to a 9 year old that they needed to stop doing something if they wanted to be able to play when they wouldn't listen to you and have too low of an attention span to read the rules as you told them to do. Since you didn't understand what rules I was enforcing, you seem to be of the mindset that I had it in for you, but I did not.' - Actually you banned me after about 5 minutes of me trying to explain I didn't know it was against the rules(and no, people that age usually don't read rules).

The part where I said I am experienced, I meant in programming, not servers. Can you not understand the mind of a kid just because he as no grammar? Or can you just not imagine the possibility that I didn't say something really stupid?

'I have been receiving bad map submissions from players wanting to be wizards since 2003. In all that time I've never encountered anyone as young as you who was capable of producing well designed maps. The youngest person who did so was 15 and he he had an exceptional eye for design, so he was a fluke. But every single thing from 12, 13, and 14 year olds was always bad and almost always exceptionally bad. 16-18 in the age group from which we'd start getting decent map submissions.' - Here you made it sound like you were talking about my graphics, and really, this is what I was going for for this specific shop, genius. Any programmer would make a map like that on purpose, unless you still don't believe I know a real language?

'What you presented is no different from any submission from someone in your age group. In a word, they're bland and I don't need to see more maps to know that the rest will be as well. Again, I have a lot of experience reviewing people's work and so I know that people who are capable of well designed content aren't going to have a few poorly designed maps and then a bunch of really good ones. Plus, these are the ones you picked to showcase, which means you likely think they are among your best (even if they are the best of your "experimental" maps). Especially considering you said you would be embarrassed to show any of your outdoor work because it wasn't well developed.' - I was talking about the graphics, seriously, you need to be more open-minded, or maybe re-read it several times until you have thought of at least two possibilities?

'They may find that they arn't artistically inclined and don't get anywhere at it,' - Remember what I said about typos?

'My issue with you is that you have fallen into the trap of thinking you can just sit down and make a high quality game at your age, which you cannot. But, again, that's not a bad thing as nobody but a few prodigies can. For everyone else, now is the time to work toward becoming experienced by tinkering away at lower levels (which you are doing regardless of whether you want to accept that that's what the software you're using is for).' - Everyone has to start somewhere, I don't expect it to be perfect with its first release, sheesh.

'I'm not so old that I haven't grown up with computers. That quote is tailor made for my generation and has been reapplied to your generation as there will still be pre-PC geriatrics around when you get into the work force. The reason you likely don't believe it's true is because you encounter a lot of young(ish) adults who also grew up with computers, whereas that wasn't the case for my generation.' - Yes, but you didn't grow up in the generation where all kids, can figure out how a computer works like the back of there hand by age 10. I have been able to set one up since I was 8 probably (not impressive, but still, you get my point). My brother, by the time he was my age, he was being paid to make a website for someone, I'm not as interested in HTML as he was, but I think I know more of a variety, and more of a lot of other languages than he did at my age.

The link you gave me to another post, that is what angered my most 1-2 years ago, because none of it was true, in all the classes I have ever taken, I was one of the best in the class, nobody thinks I'm nerdy like a couple people I know, in other words only the people that know what I'm capable of come to me for help about techy stuff, and honestly, I don't talk to any of my family about issues I am having in programming, because there aren't interested in games of any kind.

'Yes, you have a problem explaining yourself, I get that. The issue is that you then get angry and accuse people of not reading what you wrote when really you're angry with people for not knowing what's in your head (you often seem to be of the impression that you've put things you think into words when you have not). ' - As I mentioned, do you really expect someone that age to be good at explaining what he means to people that don't know the first thing about what goes on inside a kids head?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crier View Post
Why can't you remember what happened a year ago? Not only that...too lazy for seven pages? Too much reading for a coder right?

I just wanted to point out how vague and foolish this last part sounded.
(I added the bold to show why I was confused)
Just because I am a coder doesn't mean I will read hundreds of paragraphs of criticism to a 12-13 year old. I don't see how that was vague or foolish, please, enlighten me.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:08 PM
Forum Admin

Quote:
Don't try and tell me you have never had a typo.
Typically, when I make a typo or phrase something incorrectly and that leads someone to believe something that I didn't intend, I see that from their reply and then make a reply of my own to correct them. You did not do this. Instead you said something like; "Hahaha! You guyz dont get me," indicating that you were in fact doing what they were saying you were doing.

Quote:
And seriously, I've probably read more than my mom and dad together, so don't even bother with the
They must not read very much then.

Quote:
'Apparently the same laziness that prevents you from rereading something you said in the past, makes you unwilling to fully read anything that is longer than a paragraph.', you guys are so busy criticizing me you don't realize how stupid some of the things you say sound.
You have said you were too lazy to read things multiple times. Not just in regards to the last 7 pages, but after I made a couple of multi paragraph replies. So what am I supposed to think? If you're now going to claim the reason you were "too lazy" to read those things is because they were critical of you, why even bother to keep replying? Do you know what I do when I don't want to read someone's reply? I don't say anything because I know I cannot make an informed response.

Quote:
Maybe if you actually tried Game Maker, you would know what you were talking about? As I said, I have tried JS, and honestly I think it was easier than GM. There are a lot of shortcuts to doing things, whereas in GM, you have to do some harder things with larger pieces of code. And really, if it wasn't a real language, would it have Booleans? For Loops? Switch Statements? Executable Code? It has pretty much everything, except a couple like the Math.floor, where it would be more like floor(Math). But the majority, I think is like JS.
I have years of experience using a program to create content for a game and am quite aware of other programs like Game Maker (which has been around since before you were born) given my years of researching game and level design. So I am aware of the software and I can therefore tell you that it is set up to allow people to "make" games in much the same Wyvern was set up to allow people to make areas. This is not complicated work.

As for the language, there's a reason why they made their own language instead of making people use an existing language to further customize their content. Which is that doing so allowed them to dumb things down so it's easier for novices to pick up (they say as much in their own promotional material). Does that mean it's the easiest language ever, even more so than Javascript? No, of course not. I never said otherwise, so I don't know why you are comparing the two in difficultly. My only point was that GML was no C++... or Java... wait, you know Java ≠ Javascript, right? I'm kind of getting nervous that you think I was shortening Javascript by just calling it Java.

Quote:
Actually you banned me after about 5 minutes of me trying to explain I didn't know it was against the rules(and no, people that age usually don't read rules).
Ignorance of the rules is not an excuse. I would often go out of my way to talk to people and try to make them understand the rules before I banished them so they wouldn't get into trouble again on other accounts. But, if you took that as an opportunity to try to talk your way out by claiming ignorance instead of paying attention, I don't know what you really expected.

And it's one thing to ignore the rules before playing the game for the first time, but it's another thing to refuse to read them when you kept getting in trouble and the wizard who you were getting in trouble with kept asking you to read them so that wouldn't happen again. What more was I supposed to do? Short of just letting you get away with things that older players who did read the rules would get in trouble for, there's nothing I really could have done (the ball was in your court).

Quote:
The part where I said I am experienced, I meant in programming, not servers. Can you not understand the mind of a kid just because he as no grammar? Or can you just not imagine the possibility that I didn't say something really stupid?
At the time, you wrote that you had just begun to learn about a scripting language and you're now saying you thought that qualified you as an "experienced" programmer? You were and remain a novice based on what you have said.

Quote:
Here you made it sound like you were talking about my graphics, and really, this is what I was going for for this specific shop, genius. Any programmer would make a map like that on purpose, unless you still don't believe I know a real language?
I am talking about the map designs themselves, which has to do with how you place the graphics, not how you draw them. I am not sure what you mean by any programmer would make a map like that on purpose - Do you mean any programmer would use substandard graphics in the early stages and then replace them with the finished product later? If so...

1) You said months ago that your game was in beta "like Wyvern." You should not still be using experimental graphics in the beta stage, but perhaps you don't know what beta is.
2) Yeah, again, I was talking about the design of the maps themselves, which is independent from graphical quality. Good graphics or not, the maps look bland. Anyone can put down some tile and walls. It takes a real "artist" to bring a map to life.

Quote:
I was talking about the graphics, seriously, you need to be more open-minded, or maybe re-read it several times until you have thought of at least two possibilities?
You said that the reason you were embarrassed is because your town had only 6 buildings and was otherwise made up of all grass and dirt roads. That's a design issue, not a graphical one. So I don't what you're talking about.

Quote:
'They may find that they arn't artistically inclined and don't get anywhere at it,' - Remember what I said about typos?
A) That doesn't change the meaning of what I said.
B) You were posting, on average, 2-3 sentence replies. My post was over 10,000 characters (including your quotes) which is the posting limit for this board. So I had to go over the whole thing multiple times, trying to find things to cut and words/phrases to switch off with shorter ones. As part of that I looked for any words that I could make into contractions and so I happened to make a typo while changing "are not" while quickly scanning my post for more things to edit. That's a little different than your posts which, up until recently, could be seen without having to scroll around.

Quote:
Yes, but you didn't grow up in the generation where all kids, can figure out how a computer works like the back of there hand by age 10. I have been able to set one up since I was 8 probably (not impressive, but still, you get my point). My brother, by the time he was my age, he was being paid to make a website for someone, I'm not as interested in HTML as he was, but I think I know more of a variety, and more of a lot of other languages than he did at my age.
All kids, no. Computers were still too expensive for the average family. But for those who it wasn't too expensive for or for those could regularly access a computer at school or elsewhere, they had the same aptitude levels as kids today. I was one of those people who had access to computers and I was particularly taken with them, so I picked it up quickly and I picked it up young. Same as you.

Quote:
As I mentioned, do you really expect someone that age to be good at explaining what he means to people that don't know the first thing about what goes on inside a kids head?
I do kind of expect a 12 year old to be able to say; "No, I'm not making a MMORPG, it's a single player game and I'm using a program called Game Maker" when people say the things they did to you, yes. Also, I happen to know more about how kids think than you may believe, so much so that I know saying this to you is something you won't like hearing and wouldn't believe. But, nevertheless, being introspective about my own thoughts and studying the behaviors of others is something I've been doing since I was younger than 5 and I have a good recall ability for my past thoughts. I can get into a big thing about, but it's not worth it.

I will, however, say that while it's possible that I did not analyze you properly from the brief posts you made in broken English, I maintain the opinion that you fall into the pattern of someone your age who wants validation. As such, you gravitate toward trying to make what you're doing sound more noteworthy/significant. Whether you're aware that you're doing this or have simply been taken in by the advertising and thus legitimately believe you're further along than you really are, I cannot say for sure. While there are plenty of children who are inclined to buy into things like that (just like some younger kids really buy into the sea monkey thing) those who knowingly try to increase the importance of their activities would never admit that's what they're doing. People seeking this kind of validation tend to feel like others don't take them seriously, so the very idea that someone wouldn't believe them (even when they are purposely lying) isn't something they take kindly to.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:27 PM

Okay, I'm done, we are getting nowhere because yet again, you did ignore half the things I said, I don't care how much you deny it, I never said I just started programming, and a couple other things I won't even mention, because no matter what I say, you twist it to you benefit. And no matter how many times I tell you something is not what I said, you still seem hellbent on changing what I say, and using it against me. Goodbye, mr(mrs?) Arilou, I honestly don't care how much you do thise to get people to believe you, if you reply I won't say anything(for realz this time), because it will most likely be like all your other twisted comments. It must be really convenient how you 'misunderstand' me.
Old 01-16-2014, 11:10 PM

Frosten has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
EDIT: Yes, I do realize how all over my posts were, but half of those seem like things that they were not meant to mean (if that makes sense?).
Ummmmmmmmmm, no.

Glacio (Frost Giant Axeman) (level 30)
Then (Human Mage) (level 28)
Shoot (Rakshasa Caveman) (level 26)
Magiz (Halfling Enchanter) (level 26)
Patron (Human Conjurer) (level 25)
Dboss (Halfling Rogue) (level 25)
Old 01-16-2014, 11:28 PM
Forum Admin

Let's play a game. Who can point out to me all of the things that Josiah said, which I ignored? I left out a handful of lines between both of my last two replies because each were at the 10,000 character limit and I deemed those things unimportant. But I'm pretty sure I replied to the mass majority of it without it seeming like I was ignoring things he said in the quoted text.

Also, call me crazy, but I'm pretty sure I never once said he just started programming. Is that what he thinks my saying "you were and remain a novice based on what you said?" means? Does he really not get that I was simply saying that anyone who is still learning Javascript and besides that only uses GML [in whatever capacity] is a novice? You know, because that's what GML is for... novices.

In any case, it's interesting how much the suggestion that he is a beginner at something (that he obviously is a beginner at) sets him off. It confirms my suspicion that it's a validation thing. The sad thing is that I was the only one here who even tried to be nice by telling him that he could potentially become good at it if he stuck with it and he thinks I have it in for him simply because I also told him that he should be realistic about where he is at right now. But, that's not really a surprise as that's what they all do when you try to be reasonable with them. Hence why I gave up and turned to jokes.

Edit: Oh, sorry, I did miss one thing - "Everyone has to start somewhere, I don't expect it to be perfect with its first release, sheesh." But in my defense, his refusal to properly quote things made me confuse that for part of my post. So my previous post looked like this before I just edited it:

Quote:
A) That doesn't change the meaning of what I said.
B) You were posting, on average, 2-3 sentence replies. My post was over 10,000 characters (including your quotes) which is the posting limit for this board. So I had to go over the whole thing multiple times, trying to find things to cut and words/phrases to switch off with shorter ones. As part of that I looked for any words that I could make into contractions and so I happened to make a typo while changes "are not" and then quickly scanning my post for more things to edit. That's a little different than your posts which, up until recently, could be seen without having to scroll down.

'My issue with you is that you have fallen into the trap of thinking you can just sit down and make a high quality game at your age, which you cannot. But, again, that's not a bad thing as nobody but a few prodigies can. For everyone else, now is the time to work toward becoming experienced by tinkering away at lower levels (which you are doing regardless of whether you want to accept that that's what the software you're using is for).' - Everyone has to start somewhere, I don't expect it to be perfect with its first release, sheesh.
If you're not going put quoted text in quote tags or bold it or do something to differentiate it from what was previously said, the least you can do is start a new line when you start typing. Finding the dash so I could start reading what he wrote and then finding it again and deleting everything I had previously wrote so I could quote just his text was super annoying. As such, if I missed anything else, I apologize, but that's why.