Wyvern Forums

Review Wyvern Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Arcade
Go Back   Wyvern Forums > Archive > Wyvern Forums Archive > General
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chatbox Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General For serious discussions about general Wyvern topics.

Old 04-17-2012, 02:59 PM

Frosten has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbringer Of Good Stuff View Post
I like how you guys brought up the calculations, or the theory-crafting aspect of Wyvern. It really brings up some of the important questions of a game going open source. Especially, how a player could potentially make one of the best build's in the game easily, and test it rapidly.

Exile, regarding your statement about people making absurd changes, that ruin the game/game balance. I believe, if the game does go open source, it would have to be really done in a way that wouldn't brake the game. Whether that means developers sending patches to be approved off and merged, or some other system of development for our game.

I am sure the current wizards and R have an idea of what direction Wyvern should take. I can only hope that it goes in a direction that will benefit all of us, whether its open source or closed...
break, not brake.

Also, what "current wizards"? Valkon? Tesh and Arilou said they aren't going to be involved anymore...correct me if i am wrong, but the game has been down for over a year, which hasn't been known to keep developers committed to the game.

Your arguments are based off of pure opinion. It's obvious that he is not open sourcing Wyvern, simply based on his plans to host it on Amazon's cloud service and his own dialogue that he does not wish to do so.

Glacio (Frost Giant Axeman) (level 30)
Then (Human Mage) (level 28)
Shoot (Rakshasa Caveman) (level 26)
Magiz (Halfling Enchanter) (level 26)
Patron (Human Conjurer) (level 25)
Dboss (Halfling Rogue) (level 25)
Old 04-17-2012, 04:16 PM

Harbringer Of Good Stuff is trapped in an Inn behind a dozen clones

Code:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irlazy View Post
Listen dude I don't mean to bash anyone or anyone's ideas but the truth of the matter is the question do R and the other wizards have the time to monitor all the changes that open sourcing the game would have. I don't doubt that there are wonderful devs out there that can improve on the game. However I have faith in the games system of testing those devs both in terms of dedication and loyalty to the game and being capable of developing from know how stand point and ability to make unique content. Anyway in the end I still think that open source won't work for this game. I will gladly except that I am wrong if it ever happens and turns out to be alright but for now I will continue to think its a bad idea and hope that it stays in the capable hands of the wizards personally approved by R. Anyway don't take it personal Harbinger but that is my strong opinion on open sourcing.
No, you are right. Open sourcing something has its merits and its downfalls. Really, I am more worried about how involved the wizards themselves are going to be involved, if they are at all. Which, I hope they do!

I think at this point, we all want our server back and up. That is one of the biggest problems, but so far the new server is looking pretty neat.

I look toward the day of being the best I can be.