Wyvern Forums

Review Wyvern Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Arcade
Go Back   Wyvern Forums > Archive > Wyvern Forums Archive > General
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chatbox Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General For serious discussions about general Wyvern topics.

Old 01-10-2014, 03:23 AM

Marauder has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Default Can't believe I'm still waiting

It's nutts. I guess I really liked this game.
Old 01-10-2014, 12:09 PM

Exile has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

The game is never coming back up, check the reddit page for Rhialtos post, or check Bullfrogz thread on here.
Old 01-10-2014, 11:23 PM
Player Mod

Nodlove has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

From Rhialto's Updates Megathread on November 24th, 2013:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhialto
Greetings Wyvern fans,
I've at long last completed a comprehensive (and expensive) legal review of Wyvern with some of the best lawyers in the state where I live. Thank you for your patience while this was taking place.
There is good news and bad news.
The bad news is that I do not own Wyvern -- not even a majority stake. And the other owners are unreachable, out of the country and nowhere to be found. This means I can't do anything with Wyvern itself, not even open-source it. The game is, for all practical purposes, dead.
(Etc.)
I highlighted some things in bold to make the important information stand out, and truncated the rest of the message with the (Etc.).

Last edited by Nodlove : 01-10-2014 at 11:27 PM.
Old 01-12-2014, 03:16 PM
Forum Admin

Arilou has disabled reputation

Here are videos of a game and its clone:

Q Bert (original): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=karPYs22ACc

J-Bird (clone): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnDRpIdz0Uo

And here's another example using a Pac Man clone known as Mouse Trap: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxTSk77QxBQ I assume you're all familiar with the original, so I won't post a video of that.

In essence, they're the same games with new names and different graphics. I think you guys are [mostly] smart enough to get the point behind my posting this without me actually explaining the point, so that is all I will say for now.
Old 01-12-2014, 06:33 PM

Fergy has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Arilou, I agree with you. Maybe this explains why they may not.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPicL1AWrs8

(The other explanation is they are ignorant...)
Old 01-12-2014, 08:56 PM
Player Mod

Well, while I get the underlying principle, I won't believe it until I see it. My major issue is - promises have been made in the past that weren't kept, so how should I trust the promise of a new game? Let's say there is a new game, though. If it's like the difference between Q*Bert and J-Bird, I'd definitely want to play it, but if it's like the difference between Pac Man and Mouse Trap, I'd have to see how interesting it is. However, I have never heard of J-Bird or Mouse Trap, so thank you for that interesting look. J-Bird seems to teeter on infringement. Lol.
Old 01-12-2014, 09:09 PM

Fergy has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodlove View Post
J-Bird seems to teeter on infringement. Lol.
Here is a good primer on Game Design and Copyright, Trademarks, and Patents: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/4932...t-trademarks-a
Old 01-14-2014, 08:33 PM
Player Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergy View Post
Here is a good primer on Game Design and Copyright, Trademarks, and Patents: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/4932...t-trademarks-a
Though it is an interesting read, it does not refer to the rights of creators of electronic games (though I do not feign knowledge on such), nor does it refer to patent protection, which a lot of technological advances at the dawn of gaming had. And the reason I made that remark was actually similarity of artwork (especially the cubes he bounces around on and the snakes and orbs and such). But it was more an offhanded remark than a claim on my personal knowledge of copyrights. All I know is that as long as you don't copy work directly, you're good. =) As an artist, I'd like to think ideas are able to be protected, but game mechanics being protected is a silly notion at best - otherwise whoever made the first first person shooter would be making bank in court right now. I don't remember the point I was making. Either way, I hope R makes good on this promise. xD
Old 01-16-2014, 08:28 PM

Trayr is trapped in an Inn behind a dozen clones

I am sure it will happen eventually. The only reason that I keep checking this forum (well maybe not the only reason) is a part of me still believes the game will come back. You just have to believe.
Old 01-17-2014, 08:25 PM
Player Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trayr View Post
I am sure it will happen eventually. The only reason that I keep checking this forum (well maybe not the only reason) is a part of me still believes the game will come back. You just have to believe.
It won't be coming back as the same game, but hopefully similar enough. I'm not really sure how much of Wyvern was Cabochon created and how much was Wizard created, but hopefully most of it was Wizards.
Old 01-17-2014, 08:49 PM

Exile has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
It won't be coming back as the same game, but hopefully similar enough. I'm not really sure how much of Wyvern was Cabochon created and how much was Wizard created, but hopefully most of it was Wizards.
My main doubt is Rhialto actually taking the time to recode things when he wasn't involved with Wyvern for such a long time. Then again he went through all the legal trouble, so who knows.
Old 01-17-2014, 09:41 PM
Player Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
My main doubt is Rhialto actually taking the time to recode things when he wasn't involved with Wyvern for such a long time. Then again he went through all the legal trouble, so who knows.
Trust me, after all the promises, I have my doubts, too.
Old 01-23-2014, 05:58 PM

felorn has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Trust me, after all the promises, I have my doubts, too.
But we can't give up yet can we?

Even if our only hope is a slightly modernized clone.
Old 02-24-2014, 12:14 AM

Wanderer has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

I've been lamenting the loss of Wyvern again recently and came back to this forum, and this post about a reincarnation, if not "Wyvern 2" is awesome! Just what I needed to hear. But after so long I'm happy to hear anything.
Also can't believe how strong this community still is.
Old 02-26-2014, 08:54 PM

Barbarity has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Default Old Skool Playa

We had a whole group of friends that had multiple toons. Stone Giants, Halflings, Ice Giants, and on and on... I can't wait for the new game. We played years ago and still almost weekly I think about this game. I read the posting from R and it was so sad to hear the challenges.
Old 03-19-2014, 03:25 AM

Marauder has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Man I wish this game came back. I pulled several all nighters on this game. I play ps4, tons of call of duty, warcraft in the past, and IDKW, but I can't get over this game. I wish it was just as easy as turning it back on, but it's been off for years now.
Should have handed it over to the wizards. I mean, if he doesn't want to work on it anymore..you still have players that want to play it...let your creation live on. Make a subscription for it if it's about money. Don't let it die and leave your followers in the dust.
Old 03-20-2014, 04:48 PM
Player Mod

Clubbz has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

If you were really waiting for the game that much, you'd be up to date with the news and know he can't just 'release' the game to someone else to put up.
Old 03-22-2014, 02:13 PM
Player Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clubbz View Post
If you were really waiting for the game that much, you'd be up to date with the news and know he can't just 'release' the game to someone else to put up.
This is a very true statement. The only way it's going to come back up is if someone who knows the code behind it works on it - most of the wizards aren't actual programmers. Not to mention the legal trouble in trying to rerelease "Wyvern" itself.

Last edited by Nodlove : 03-22-2014 at 02:15 PM.
Old 03-30-2014, 04:54 PM

felorn has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Well we could always make Wyvern into a Tabletop RPG or D&D Setting.

Actually that is highly unlikely. I'm not sure if anyone even would have a full overview of Wyvern's setting.