Wyvern Forums

Review Wyvern Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Arcade
Go Back   Wyvern Forums > Archive > Wyvern Forums Archive > Miscellaneous
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chatbox Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Miscellaneous For anything related to Wyvern that does not fit into the other forums (this is not a place to goof off and post whatever nonsense comes to mind).

Old 04-20-2011, 06:18 PM
Forum Admin

Arilou has disabled reputation

There are some nice, mediocre () Wyvern vids out there. So, for any who need their Wyvern fix, I compiled a selection of over 20 player ones at the following two locations:

http://arilou-wyvern.blogspot.com/2008/09/wyvern-videos-segment-1.html

http://arilou-wyvern.blogspot.com/20...segment-2.html

If you look in the forum's menu under "Wyvern Links" (top right, in yellow) you will also find a direct link to a Binyamin Video and a link to Contrare's Youtube channel if you want to see his LQ videos from the perspective of various bosses.

Between that... that should about cover all of the Wyvern related videos currently out there and, in the future, if you see a good video or make one yourself, feel free to use this thread to link to it. Hopefully some good ones will pop up after the game returns.

Edit: Almost forgot... there are also a couple of videos of Aimi performing some of the Wyvern music on violin. For anyone interested, you can view them here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fp1U8...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gxq5...eature=related
Old 07-15-2011, 02:04 PM

felorn has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Default Wyvern Videos

I was searching Youtube and found some Wyvern vids and It made me sad but happy at the same time so here they are... I know some of these are by Salkand

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWgruMNI7oo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wG70o...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wstmj...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDsJz2ED-yA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flp-i...eature=related

These are just some I can't watch anymore it makes me wan't to put my fist through a wall cause I can't play :P
Old 07-16-2011, 12:55 AM

Baurus has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Watching all these videos makes me miss wyvern a lot. I hope I can play with everyone sometime soon. I sure miss the community a lot.
Old 07-17-2011, 01:50 AM

Xerxes has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Can't believe I never even once took a video or screenshot of something interesting for the forums. <3 Wyvern, please come back!

"Strike the earth!" - Dwarf Fortress

Xerxes the Human Hall of Famer (Level 28)
Shatter the Dwarven Hall of Famer (Level 28)
Rumor the Rakshasa Hall of Famer (Level 25)
Old 07-17-2011, 02:36 AM

Salkand has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Send a message via AIM to Salkand

Quote:
Originally Posted by felorn View Post
. . . I know some of these are by Salkand . . .
What's the suppose to mean? because they are by me they are more awesome?
Old 01-13-2012, 01:03 PM
Player Mod

Rarkvar has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Default Vesrayech's Minath Monster Arena Video!

Finally got it uploaded to youtube >_>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPCNd...ature=youtu.be

The "glitch" around 7:20 in the underwater area is me being "banished" to another area in the map and it caused the map to reset.

Last edited by Rarkvar : 01-13-2012 at 01:09 PM.
Old 12-09-2012, 11:58 PM
Forum Admin

Okay so, for those actually interested in these Wyvern videos, we've lost two of them during this downtime. The first was the Google Videos version of the Minath Monster Arena by Irano. It is one of the oldest videos made of the game but, unfortunately, Google Videos has been shut down and all of its content was migrated to youtube as private videos. If Irano reads this or someone knows how to reach him, it would be nice if that could be made public (assuming it's that simple). The other was called "Killing Elves" and apparently was created by Silico. He left a comment on my blog saying he took it down because he didn't like the quality. However, I think it has value, especially since he captured something that no longer exists in the game (the old Minath Elf houses). So, if anyone else thinks it would be interesting see (especially since it captured the now removed Minath elf houses) maybe he'll reconsider if he gets a bit of encouragement (assuming he still has a copy to re-upload).
Old 12-10-2012, 03:57 AM

Iro has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

I removed the video because of the low quality, yes.

I don't have a copy of it anymore, unfortunately. It's gone for good.
Old 12-10-2012, 06:40 PM

Odolf has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

I'm interested that you feel those old videos have value, Arilou. I always got the impression in game that most of the wizards felt the march of progress (the new Blackrose and Glacier Point, for example) left nothing of value behind. I guess i just never thought of you as the sentimental type, no offense.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:21 PM
Player Mod

Jacksparow has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

if you've read Arilou's blog he keeps old screenshots and monster images and likes to show the progress made and allow people to see just how far wyvern has come from its past artworks.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:50 PM
Forum Admin

Yeah, you so don't know me. Ask Tesh - I'm a pack rat who insists on keeping, not just the things Blackbeard mentioned, but chat logs and emails and other little tidbits that others might find unimportant. I have a strong interest in history and, per what Blackbeard said, I think there's value to reflect and compare what has come before with where you're at now and where you want to go in the future. As Silicio felt about his video, I've felt about my early map designs, but I've nonetheless tried to keep them and made some public because they have history and they are important to understanding the state my maps (and all maps, really) are in today.

However, while I do find it important to maintain that history, I think it's also important to push forward the wheel of progress, lest things grow stagnant - As your ability to design maps grows, your old designs just don't hold up and, because of that, it's easy for them to become dead content as you and others push the boundaries in other parts of the game. There's also the sense of the potential that older areas could have had if only they were designed by someone with more experience and by someone who had access to everything that has come about since. Some of the oldest maps in the game, for example, were made entirely in XML as there was no mapeditor. So they didn't have the benefit that post-mapeditor maps have, which is that their creators can sit there and try out different things and then easily tweak and modify them until they are satisfied with it.

Then there's the issue of art/arch files. Areas are very often made based on what is available as we don't have a full time art staff that can make every little thing we envision come to life. So, you settle. But, as our database grew, so too did our options and wouldn't it be nice to incorporate those into your older designs? Take Forgotten Oak as an example. I was originally able to make it look dead, but I wasn't really able to give it the spooky look that I envisioned. So, of course, my re-design plans involved me making the spooky looking terrain, making the darker buildings, and making those little things like the blood dripping from the ceiling or the skeleton attached to pike. I was also waiting on things like a larger selection of undead monsters so that I could properly fill out dungeons rather than being limited to houses with a map or three.

All of those things remain true for areas like Glacier Point. It was Murlana's first area and so she was in-experienced and working with a substandard set of available options. Thus it didn't live it up to it's full potential. One of the most obvious things you'll notice is that she didn't really have cold themed monsters, but I had been working on that Frost Giant cave so I had some monsters that I was able to lend Teshuvah and she was able to flesh things out further with new designs and re-colorings of older monsters.

I would also point out that the area was unbalanced. It was a zoo with monsters in individual maps rather than behind gates and the maps were very close to healing fountains. So that needed to change and the same thing went for Blackrose, which I don't know why you mentioned as it was hardly touched appearance-wise. Teshuvah just took out the unbalanced zoo as it was that or shut down the area entirely and nobody wanted that. Also, a little tidbit - Avalon intended to upgrade the city's design and she came back briefly with the redone castle, but didn't stick around to do much else.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:07 PM

That was very enlightening, thank you Arilou. It's nice to get a glimpse behind the curtain of my favorite multiplayer game.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:26 PM

igorith has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arilou View Post
Teshuvah just took out the unbalanced zoo as it was that or shut down the area entirely and nobody wanted that.
I think I'm confused as to what defines a "zoo" in Wyvern. Isn't it an area that has alot of monsters that are easy to kill and lacking some sort of challenge or hidden surprise?

- Fortune Cookie
Old 12-11-2012, 10:39 PM

A "Zoo" in Wyvern is an area with monsters in cages or, in this case, individual houses where there's no risk in killing them. You can just take them one enclosure at a time with little or no difficulty.
Old 12-30-2012, 04:41 AM

Morgus has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fp1U8Sbg8CU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gxq5jplXC4

Good stuff.
Old 11-09-2015, 07:40 PM
Player Mod

Nodlove has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arilou View Post
Yeah, you so don't know me. Ask Tesh - I'm a pack rat who insists on keeping, not just the things Blackbeard mentioned, but chat logs and emails and other little tidbits that others might find unimportant.
This is what current me would have said were Wyvern still online:

It be cool if there were something like an archive, where you can explore the "Wyvern of the Past," maybe museum-style with signs and blocks of map that are like screenshots, but meant to be the museum art. Further, it would be cool if in the center of the screenshot, where the player would be standing, if there were a door to explore the maps of the "paintings" you found interesting. It rings in my head sort of like Super Mario 64, but is functionally different. The idea, then, is that you get gratification from exploring defunct areas, and gain no gold or experience for exploring them, but maybe got little knick-knacky items - like plush Sokoban items. This was kind of a stream of consciousness, so I hope it makes sense.
Old 11-09-2015, 08:08 PM
Forum Admin

Voir la citation:

Quote:
Timewarp: Follow the portal, outside of the tutorial, to be warped back in time to the New Verden of old. It's an approximation only and as such you may notice some inconsistencies (for example, any items that can be picked up or bought use new graphics and arch files, while reality beds are blocking). However, it's probably the closest there is to feeling like it was to have entered the game in 2002, short of actually being there.
Old 11-15-2015, 06:12 PM
Player Mod

Nodlove has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Whoops! I played off and on a bit - I never HoF'ed any characters, and I didn't play as much toward the last couple of years. It's unfortunate I never experienced this Timewarp. Sounds like fun.