Wyvern Forums

Review Wyvern Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Arcade
Go Back   Wyvern Forums > Archive > Wyvern Forums Archive > General
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chatbox Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General For serious discussions about general Wyvern topics.

Old 01-17-2014, 04:08 AM
Player Mod

Halloween has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Maybe someday he'll understand that what you've actually wrote are words of wisdom.

Maybe.
Old 01-17-2014, 08:28 AM

Crier has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Send a message via AIM to Crier

Yeah and we'll all be sitting around in MAH laughing about it....

>.>
"Big Brother in the form of an increasingly powerful government and in an increasingly powerful private sector will pile the records high with reasons why privacy should give way to national security, to law and order [...] and the like." - Justice William O. Douglas

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security would deserve neither and lose both." -Benjamin Franklin
Old 01-17-2014, 06:52 PM
Player Mod

Nodlove has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arilou View Post
Let's play a game. Who can point out to me all of the things that Josiah said, which I ignored?
You ignored where he said something about being in school and not having time:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josiah
I'm 14, I have school, I know nothing about those programs
I guess elementary school is much harder than the college or work all the rest of us are doing. xD

Quote:
If you're not going put quoted text in quote tags or bold it or do something to differentiate it from what was previously said, the least you can do is start a new line when you start typing. Finding the dash so I could start reading what he wrote and then finding it again and deleting everything I had previously wrote so I could quote just his text was super annoying. As such, if I missed anything else, I apologize, but that's why.
I almost gave up reading the rest of what he wrote due to improper quoting. You'd think someone who calls himself a good programmer would be able to work his mind around phpbb tags.
Old 01-17-2014, 07:07 PM
Forum Admin

Arilou has disabled reputation

Not really - I told him that I believed he was messing around in GM. So even though he said that in a separate post where he was replying to what you guys said, (which had nothing to do with me) I did sort of back up that statement (although it is silly that he wants people to think that he's a skilled coder... who is also unable to use google). So no cookie for you, but thanks for playing.
Old 01-17-2014, 08:22 PM
Player Mod

Nodlove has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Not really - I told him that I believed he was messing around in GM. So even though he said that in a separate post where he was replying to what you guys said, (which had nothing to do with me) I did sort of back up that statement (although it iS silly that he wants people to think that he's a skilled coder... who is also unable to use google). So no cookie for you, but thanks for playing.
Darn, I really thought I was getting that cookie!
Old 04-20-2014, 03:31 AM

Josiah has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

So I have a question, I know I said I'm done arguing (which I am done), but what will you do when / if I do make a successful game? Will Arilou eat me? Will you all bow down before me and apologize? Will you take all the credit and say "It's because we challenged him and gave him a reason to prove us wrong"? Or will you simply be surprised, possibly play it, and not give a Lich's Wand? :P

P.S Don't take this the wrong way, I'm simply asking you a question!
Old 04-20-2014, 03:07 PM
Player Mod

Dracco has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josiah View Post
So I have a question, I know I said I'm done arguing (which I am done), but what will you do when / if I do make a successful game? Will Arilou eat me? Will you all bow down before me and apologize? Will you take all the credit and say "It's because we challenged him and gave him a reason to prove us wrong"? Or will you simply be surprised, possibly play it, and not give a Lich's Wand? :P

P.S Don't take this the wrong way, I'm simply asking you a question!
Old 04-20-2014, 07:19 PM
Player Mod

Halloween has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracco View Post
Basically this. In the grand scheme of things, we don't really care if you succeed or fail. You're a faceless, nameless nobody to us.
Old 04-21-2014, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halloween View Post
Basically this. In the grand scheme of things, we don't really care if you succeed or fail. You're a faceless, nameless nobody to us.
Oh really? Not what you made it seem like before? :P
Old 04-21-2014, 04:22 PM

Brionac has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

If you succeed in making the game, Tesh will throw you a pizza party. Heck, maybe even at Chuck E Cheeses. How does that sound buddy, would you like that? Would you like a party at Chuck E Cheeses?
Old 04-21-2014, 05:25 PM
Wizardess

Teshuvah has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Oh really? Not what you made it seem like before? :P
Don't make the mistake of thinking we care if you succeed or not because we think that you are full of it.
Old 04-21-2014, 11:42 PM

I'm not sure you guys realize, I honestly don't care what you think of me, I was just curious what you would do and whether or not you would be honest. If I did make one, I wouldn't even tell you >_<
Old 04-22-2014, 03:09 AM
Player Mod

Clubbz has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
I'm not sure you guys realize, I honestly don't care what you think of me, I was just curious what you would do and whether or not you would be honest. If I did make one, I wouldn't even tell you >_<
That's laughable. You don't care what we think, but yet you come back like a small child over and over trying to get attention. If you really didn't care what the people here thought, you wouldn't have brought up the topic. You also wouldn't have spent so long try to prove you 'were capable' of programming a game. Yet here you are, over and over again spouting nonsense which basically boils down to "Everyone look at me! Look over here! Give me attention!"

Last edited by Clubbz : 04-22-2014 at 02:11 PM.
Old 04-22-2014, 11:14 AM
Forum Admin

We've already established that you're not making your own game. Do I believe that you can make a faux game using Game Maker? Sure, any halfwit (no offense) can make a bunch of crummy content with that software and put it out there. We've had really young kids on Wyvern who wanted to be wizards and made a bunch of junk maps using the mapeditor and could have messed with some code a bit to further customize their content as wizards. But it doesn't mean they were making their own game (again, they, like you, were trying to work on an existing game) or that the stuff that they would have put together would have been at a high enough quality allow them to be "successful."

However, that shouldn't be the case because they were beginners, in the early stages of learning a craft. If they kept at it, then sure they could have gotten better and eventually transitioned into more serious game or level design. I have already told you in multiple posts (some of which you refused to read) that there's nothing wrong with using what you're doing now as a learning tool if you wanted to eventually be able to work on games professionally. You just shouldn't be fooled into thinking that what you're doing right now is actual game creation because, again, it's a tool that severely dumbs things down for novices and hobbyists and utilizes a concept that people can "make their own games" as a promotional gimmick. Non-14 year olds who aren't trying to make themselves seem more capable than they are understand that the game has already been built for them and they are just adding on to it.
Old 04-22-2014, 06:09 PM

I think you guys are in under the impression that I came back for attention, Arilou needs to suck up his pride and at least answer the question instead of being so high and mighty that he can't even PRETEND to think that I could do something. And Clubbz, I think we both know that I'm not here for attention... I never should have even asked in the first place since you're all thinking it's not physically possible for me to program.

Now will you just answer the freakin' question instead of telling everyone I'm here for attention? Because that is a huge lie -_-

EDIT: What do you mean by "(again, they, like you, were trying to work on an existing game"?

Last edited by Josiah : 04-22-2014 at 06:12 PM.
Old 04-22-2014, 06:56 PM

Brionac has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

So is that a no on the pizza party?
Old 04-22-2014, 07:11 PM
Player Mod

Clubbz has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
I think you guys are in under the impression that I came back for attention.......And Clubbz, I think we both know that I'm not here for attention...
Actually, we both don't know that. You keep coming back, despite such negative reception to wild stories of "I'm going to make a clone! I already made a game! I'm and experienced coder!". Nobody believes you except for you, every time that someone replies with a long, thoughtful response, you choose the childish response of "That's too long to read". You contradict your own statements, and then claim you never said them to begin with. But the big indicator is the fact that you keep coming back, and do nothing but claim that people are just out to insult you, make fun of you and ignore you, despite the fact that some people are giving you honest feedback. You're here for attention, you're here for acknowledgement, you're here for validation, and you keep receiving none.

Quote:
you're all thinking it's not physically possible for me to program.
Let's just focus on a few things wrong with that portion of your post. First of all, nobody said it's not possible for you to program, they said it's very, very unlikely of you to be at the skill level capable of not only programming a game, but a fully functioning game that is a clone of wyvern. So yes, you can program all you want, just not a good game. Secondly, physically really has nothing to do with it unless you're missing all your finger and possibly toes. Nobody has said anything about physical capabilities to type, it's been more about your mental ability to learn the complexities behind actually coding the game. I'm not saying you won't ever be able to learn code, I'm simply saying you won't be able to learn it as quickly as you imagine.

Quote:
EDIT: What do you mean by "(again, they, like you, were trying to work on an existing game"?

I would interpret that as they were working on a existing game(as wyvern was an existing game at the time) because he references the fact that they made maps for wyvern and submitted them to try to become wizards. They didn't create a game, they just slapped up some content the easiest way possible.

Although, Many novices who want to make games get sucked into things like game maker, and actually think they are making awesome original work. When all they are actually doing is plastering a skin on an existing game and slapping their name on it. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy playing with RPG Maker VX myself. But I don't think I'll ever have a marketable game, and I acknowledge that at the current point in time I'm not capable of actually programming a game from the ground up.
Old 04-22-2014, 07:51 PM
Forum Admin

Quote:
I think you guys are in under the impression that I came back for attention, Arilou needs to suck up his pride and at least answer the question instead of being so high and mighty that he can't even PRETEND to think that I could do something. And Clubbz, I think we both know that I'm not here for attention... I never should have even asked in the first place since you're all thinking it's not physically possible for me to program.

Now will you just answer the freakin' question instead of telling everyone I'm here for attention? Because that is a huge lie -_-
The answer to your question depends on what your definition of "making a game" is. If by that you mean that in some 10 years or so it's possible that you will have graduated college and be professionally making games, then I already answered you and told you that is a fine expectation to have. Hell, I said that 50 posts ago, but you said you "barely read" it: "If game creation is really something that interests you, that's fine to pursue. Just be prepared for years and years of hard work before you get the kind of validation you seek and understand that maybe it won't work out for you." (http://www.wyvernrpg.com/forum/showp...0&postcount=26). If, on the other hand, your definition of "making a game" involves completing your Game Maker project, then I think it's fairly evident I would continue to laugh at you because you still would not understand what truly making a game entails.

Quote:
What Clubbz said. I explained to you in previous discussions that the folks who made Game Maker already built a game engine for you (aka they made the game). So you are working on building content for an existing game, like people who worked on Wyvern were building content for an existing game. There's nothing wrong with that, (it's good experience, it requires a lot of work/skill when done properly, etc.) it's just that you naively keep depicting what you've been doing as actual game creation and it's not.
Old 04-23-2014, 10:15 AM

Bullfrogz has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Send a message via AIM to Bullfrogz Send a message via MSN to Bullfrogz

Josiah do yourself a favor and stop posting. Few years down the road you'll grow up and come back and face palm at some of the things you write.