Wyvern Forums

Review Wyvern Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Arcade
Go Back   Wyvern Forums > Archive > Wyvern Forums Archive > Wyvern Development
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chatbox Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Wyvern Development Here you can discuss anything and everything involving creating your own content for Wyvern. Have a problem with an arch file or a map? Want to show off something you've been working on? If so this is the place for you.

Old 06-15-2009, 07:57 PM

Trayr is trapped in an Inn behind a dozen clones
Post You guys should sit down and read this.

Warning, if you have a short attention span this post is not for you.

You guys should read the information on this page.

http://www.cabochon.com/wyvern/balance
Old 06-17-2009, 11:46 PM

Lanterra has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trayr View Post
Warning, if you have a short attention span this post is not for you.

You guys should read the information on this page.

http://www.cabochon.com/wyvern/balance
That's actually an interesting read. And while alot of it doesn't apply specifically anymore, I can see where alot of the things still apply to one extent or another. Seems like the recent updates have done alot to help with many of them though.
Old 06-19-2009, 11:24 AM

windia has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

The Wizards still try to make the game live up to this. It explains many things such as why spam healing was nerfed, why areas such as Minath were changed, and some monsters become harder or give less XP. If players only depend on certain spots of the game, then they have no need to explore. The need to explore is fundamental to Wyvern. It shouldn't have "steps" to become a HoF, etc.
Old 02-02-2010, 04:23 PM

igorith has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Default Yea I found an imbalance...

I found an imbalance. Alot of spears, shields, and rusty cutlasses from low level skeletons weigh very little and sell for fair amounts of money (at least for me its alot). From one run through the catacombs just south of New Verden can fetch maybe 2000 gold if you know what to loot and what not to loot. Maybe this isn't an imbalance, but Perhaps to combat this you could increase the weight of some of these objects.
Old 02-02-2010, 06:08 PM
Wizardess

Teshuvah has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorith View Post
I found an imbalance. Alot of spears, shields, and rusty cutlasses from low level skeletons weigh very little and sell for fair amounts of money (at least for me its alot). From one run through the catacombs just south of New Verden can fetch maybe 2000 gold if you know what to loot and what not to loot. Maybe this isn't an imbalance, but Perhaps to combat this you could increase the weight of some of these objects.
It's not an imbalance, but thanks.
Old 02-17-2010, 08:04 AM

Dandor has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
yeah, it's too easy to get money by selling stuff from them!
Old 02-17-2010, 04:07 PM

chessman has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Not only is that not an imbalance, that's an intended feature. The best ****ie sales item has always been tiny round shields.

Edit: Really? That's offensive to... what, to low-level player characters? New Verden used to be called (apparently unacceptable term)ville.

Last edited by chessman : 02-17-2010 at 04:12 PM. Reason: incredulity
Old 02-17-2010, 05:01 PM

Kabroz has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Maybe this isn't an imbalance, but Perhaps to combat this you could increase the weight of some of these objects.
Those things are heavy, man...
Old 03-17-2010, 12:04 PM
Player Mod

Rarkvar has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Try being a human mage >_>
I can only go so far in RD's because of item weight. Don't get me wrong, I love finding good items, but if I find a DSM, even with strength it weighs a lot >_>

So in a sense, The more stuff gold I get (In items), the less exp I get. In RD's anyways.
Old 03-17-2010, 04:22 PM
Wizard

Valkon has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

That's exactly how it's supposed to be. You're not supposed to be able to RD forever. You'll have to make choises about what you pick up and what you don't.
Old 03-19-2010, 11:43 AM
Player Mod

Rarkvar has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Honestly, I think Wizards should just fix RD's to go down either 75 or 100 floors instead of wherever they cut off at now. 62 floors in 2 hours ended up getting me over one million exp and about 55k gold. I need to train in merchant >_> If I had 5 merchant I wouldn've made almost 100k
Old 03-19-2010, 12:52 PM
Forum Admin

Arilou has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rarkvar View Post
Honestly, I think Wizards should just fix RD's to go down either 75 or 100 floors instead of wherever they cut off at now. 62 floors in 2 hours ended up getting me over one million exp and about 55k gold. I need to train in merchant >_> If I had 5 merchant I wouldn've made almost 100k
"The second gift is that Random Dungeons now go much deeper than before. There is still a limit, but we will see if any of you are good enough to find the bottom. This is a temporary change while we continue to tweak other things, so enjoy."

Random dungeons need a complete overhaul. Until we have time to do that, you get to enjoy random dungeons in their current state. What we were trying to avoid, by making them go deeper, is a repeat of spam healing type updates of the past where things are changed as part of a larger fix, but that fix was so far off the initial changes left things in a place where they shouldn't have been for too long.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:18 PM

Beckhan has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arilou View Post
...but that fix was so far off the initial changes left things in a place where they shouldn't have been for too long.
I don't understand what you mean there. Are you saying that the fix took too long to implement or that the fix did not accomplish what you wanted it to and that it took too long for you to realise it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arilou View Post
The best way to do that is to wait until you see how we implement our ideas, play around with them a bit, and then give us your feedback. As is, you have no idea what we're planning or what we might plan, so you have no way of knowing how your ideas would mesh with ours. Thus, this is not all that helpful..
I can't wait till life settles down and I have hours to spend on a new character.. I am a little concerned though knowing how impossible it was for me to HoF my last character (big ol' 3 year wall at level 24 (I blame me not you ) I can't help but interpret the implementation of further "balancing" as an increase in difficulty to level and thus to get to that magic level when I no longer care about death and XP but only exploration... (summary: please don't make it too much harder I beg of you )

Last edited by Beckhan : 03-23-2010 at 10:32 PM.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:48 PM
Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckhan View Post
I don't understand what you mean there. Are you saying that the fix took too long to implement or that the fix did not accomplish what you wanted it to and that it took too long for you to realise it?
Spam healing was intended as a multi-part fix. The concept that we discussed with Rhialto was to make the initial change, judge the effects, and then continue working on balancing it based on what we saw and the other things we discussed. For example, we talked about the issue of giants and full heal at length, but decided to hold off on that so as not to make so dramatic change at once. Which was all well and good, but then Rhialto became pre-occupied and had no time to work on further development. Where as we're at the point with random dungeons where the overhaul needed is so extensive that we don't have time to focus on it right now as there other things we want/need to get done first. Thus, we are saving it for later.

Quote:
I can't wait till life settles down and I have hours to spend on a new character.. I am a little concerned though knowing how impossible it was for me to HoF my last character (big ol' 3 year wall at level 24 (I blame me not you ) I can't help but interpret the implementation of further "balancing" as an increase in difficulty to level and thus to get to that magic level when I no longer care about death and XP but only exploration... (summary: please don't make it too much harder I beg of you )
Things won't necessarily be harder, just different. If you take the time to adjust, you should be fine. Although, much of our larger changes have already been made, while now we're focusing more on fine tuning and tweaking so you won't run into as many dramatic changes in the near future.
Old 03-24-2010, 08:32 AM
Wizardess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckhan View Post
Did you read the first post in this thread that has Rhialtos balance thoughts?
Now *Thats* hard. Us removing players ability to become invincible and need Spirit Travel (that Rhialto considers a necessary skill) isnt hard
Old 03-25-2010, 04:49 PM

Unknown has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Balance... I do agree that the game is not balanced at the moment, and it's hard to figure out what is the best approach… ‘cos on one hand you can nerf races+armors+spells+etc… making the game harder, on the other hand you can make stuffs more powerful to make them equal… making the game easier.

To be honest I think both approach are valid (also I think wizards have used more the nerf approach than the overpower one). But the thing is affect wyvern the most is the time is taking to execute such actions, it’s been years, and there are still making changes after change, going back and forth (trust me… changes aren’t welcome, “new stuffs” are!, but change is always a pain in the neck)…

From my point of view, it makes me think the game is never going to be balanced, or never going to change the “beta testing” status. And to be honest, I think the game is “fine”… and perfection is your enemy. So it depends on me… I think the best idea would make a time limit and go on with it… Launch wyvern 2 once and for all.

To be honest now that I have some free time I been having second thoughts about resurrect hail =P.
2008-06-14 12:58:18 Deathwish – killed by a poisonous Xipe Totec corpse
Old 03-25-2010, 05:17 PM
Forum Admin

No, the game will reach a state of balance. There is no such thing as perfection, but it's very much possible to get things to a nice, stable state where things are not too hard, not too easily and all around fun (for the target audience). That is what this stage of development is all about. The reason it has taken so long is because next to nothing was being done for a number of years. So, as usual, I don't know what you're rambling about - The game was working its way through its early stages when development stopped and it wasn't until last year that we've been able to start things up again after years of only being able to make superficial changes. After all that time, there was a lot of work that needed to be done, but we've made tremendous progress in a short amount of time. So things are moving along just fine.

As for you coming back - Please don't. Please don't even come back on the forums. Please...please.
Old 03-25-2010, 08:31 PM
Player Mod

Clubbz has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Personally I see no reason for any complaints. Wyvern is a FREE game, which works on pretty much any computer, even if its from the stone age of technology. The fact that it has remained free should be something that those who choose to play it should be grateful of. Despite all the changes, Wyvern remains a fantastic game.

As for the changes themselves, I see nothing wrong with them. We've been warned for a long time that there is a lot of imbalances in Wyvern and that a great deal of things need to be tweaked, changed, and updated. Crying over a change just because the game has increased in difficulty a bit isn't going to make it any easier. This is what is to be expected when changes are implemented, some ways of playing will be more difficult, but others will seem like a more balanced option.

Also, please note, Wyvern is and will always be what Rhialto decides, as it should. He has put a lot of work into wyvern, and it is rightfully his decision the direction the game should be heading. Just because you don't hear or see much of him anymore doesnt change a thing, he has a family, a job, a life, Wyvern is expected to take a backseat to all of that.

Myself, I enjoy all the changes, it keeps the game fresh and exciting. Am I a little sad I can't train my Conjurer Pixie successfully anymore? Of course, but I accept it and move in, it is only a game after all. In fact I'm in favor of even more 'extreme' changes, but I won't hold my breath. Anyways, sorry to drone on like that, but I felt the need to state my thoughts. I appreciate everything that Rhialto and all of the Wizards have done and still do for wyvern, and I hope they keep up the good work when schedules permit it.
Old 03-26-2010, 10:41 AM

Slowlight has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Wyvern is hard.

*constructive post*
Old 03-26-2010, 11:07 AM
Wizardess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowlight View Post
Wyvern is hard.

*constructive post*
*slaps you around*
How do you know? You haven't played in years.