Wyvern Forums

Review Wyvern Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Arcade
Go Back   Wyvern Forums > Archive > Wyvern Forums Archive > General
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chatbox Today's Posts

General For serious discussions about general Wyvern topics.

Old 11-14-2008, 11:17 AM

rilian has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Send a message via MSN to rilian

What are yalls opinions on using magic? I may not use any magic either, just mana shield pots and healing/med skill.

If I don't use magic then I will have to hunt potions and scrolls a lot but then I wont have to buy expensive armor, I can buy cheap bungling stuff.

I have no idea which i should do. I could save like 10 skill points though if I use pots and scrolls instead of magic. I dont know....erm

Last edited by rilian : 11-14-2008 at 11:49 AM.
Old 11-14-2008, 01:11 PM
Player Mod

Halloween has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

I just use potions, when I use anything at all. I usually just depend on the heal skill. I have 10 at the moment.
Old 11-14-2008, 01:51 PM

Logwad has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Send a message via AIM to Logwad Send a message via MSN to Logwad

While I have never been known for my amazing survivability, I shall contribute some more.

Unless you have 4 skillpoints per level, or lots of health, mana shield is the way to go. For surviving, you need to be able to stand in spells for a little while, and to be able to run away. If you have the hitpoints of a human or above, I would suggest using mana shield pots. You are strong enough to carry them, they give you a better ratio for your hp/mp stats, and free up tons of skillpoints and some lore points. As if humans needed any more. v-v

I used to use minor healing as anything else was overkill and a waste of precious lore points. Powerful physique my foot, I'm an elf; minotaurs two hit me. I would use it for whenever I was getting low from poison or spells or whatever, just run away and heal. This would let me put all my skill points in meditation, rather than meditation and healing. But this "strategy" is toast. Now I just don't heal.

I have always had elixirs for those worst case scenarios. Other pots get too heavy. But generally never used them because the by the time I realize I'm going to die, I'm doomed from lag (from connection problems or arrows), or I am surrounded and cannot run away anyways. Then I use quit.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:17 AM

happyrabitz has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Send a message via AIM to happyrabitz

What damage does plat bolts do?

Rabitz - human pally lv. 21 BANNED
golgren - fire giant cavie lv. 18 BANNED
erebus - lion axeman lv. 25 BANNED
subere - dwarf axeman lv. 18
tyranos - fire giant pally lv. 27
happyrabitz - halfling ranger lv 28 RETIRED
Ulin - human mage lv 25
habrab - human rogue lv 23
Old 01-07-2009, 10:56 PM

Shaieran has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Old topic, but eh. Dual shields > Weapons if you have the reflex and connection to do so. Magic is a good thing. Mana shield saves lives. If you have the skill points, teleport is a last resort (well, 'quit' is but I hardly ever used that). Um... I also had firebolt in my arsenal, which served as a door-killer due to the fact that it's more reliable than knock in RDs (and I didn't have a sword or the strength to use it well). And I'll corroborate the previous advice by saying that potions are your friends. Strength, See Invisible, Invisibility, Elixirs and the ilk- you don't have enough skill points to learn them all which is where potions come in.

And if you don't like dual shield, wield your bow as your weapon. Get one of the special bows that give bonuses to your skills and wield it to get the bonus. =D While melee is impossible with a bow, the good thing is that bows have no recoil and so you won't be affected by recoil should you end up next to something. It makes killing Shoggoths ridiculously easy as you can even stand next to them and shoot into them while their weak non-recoil attacks don't penetrate your health well.

Something I was experimenting with before I stopped playing was a max healing skill and max meditation skill with... 3? spirit for Mana Shield and the Regeneration spell. Whichever the cut-off point for 50% distribution to HP was- I'd rather put the skill points in different areas.

Healing potions + Maximum Regeneration + No Recoil + Teleport = pretty darn hard to kill. Of course, I never got far enough to text at HoF+ levels but it was working out well so far. The only problem I had was resistance to fire and petrification- scrolls are unreliable and difficult to stock up enough of. Dragon Breath and Stonewind/Petrify were the only real things that killed me at that point, as I could escape everything else. Anyways, my point is that healing skill is a viable alternative if you happen to have the skill points for it (ie. are a human).
Old 01-16-2009, 04:03 AM

Exile has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Max healing skill and meditation isn't needed, over 20 at least.. :|. You can just run, heal for a little, and come back. Archers are actually really good characters you just need to know how to play them, they actually take more than half a brain. You also need to know what arrows work best, and a lot of autobags, and aliases o_O.
Old 01-17-2009, 01:51 AM

Morphan has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

I saw an archer like 3 or 2 days ago, so they aren't extinct, just endangered!

You know what that means!

Bring out the torches and burn the bows!

Yeah, but don't worry, there will still be at least one archer active (at minimum). If I ever start an elf, I'll raise him up as an archer and increase the population by 1. Right now, I'm working on a Naga monk.
Old 01-17-2009, 03:14 AM

Exile has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

There will be another if I can ever think of an ok name for one.
Old 01-17-2009, 12:40 PM
Player Mod

Halloween has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Burn the bows? Bleh...

And how about Bowguy?
Old 01-17-2009, 04:04 PM

Joca has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Meh..archers should have sneaking added to their skills to a point where they're UNDETECTABLE by ANY monster, as long as there's ONE square between the archer and the enemy.

But it ticks away at their MP to be able to do it........
Old 01-22-2009, 09:52 PM

Shootout has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Between Shaieran and I in the guild, with several others aspiring its not that deserted of a guild as some others are.
Old 01-22-2009, 11:44 PM

Hamel has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Do not temp the wrath of the rogues. For they are a powerful, if small guild.

Last edited by Hamel : 01-22-2009 at 11:48 PM.
Old 02-06-2009, 05:38 PM

Tudwal has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Hammer

One thing the wizards could do is change the guild quest. You wouldn't have to make it easier, per se, just less enraging than Pirate Island.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 02-06-2009, 06:51 PM

Hamel has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

I actually found the archers guild quest to be one of the easiest. You just have to give it a few tries.
Old 02-06-2009, 06:51 PM
Wizardess

Teshuvah has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tudwal View Post
One thing the wizards could do is change the guild quest. You wouldn't have to make it easier, per se, just less enraging than Pirate Island.

Just my 2 cents.
*patpat* other guild quests are just as or more enraging....
Old 02-09-2009, 04:06 PM

Deaf has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Archer quest is very hard to do as an archer who are enhanced in boss-fight scenarios -more bang for the buck.
Old 02-09-2009, 05:16 PM

Beckhan has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Bow and arrow

I think the archer quest is great. Maddingly difficult for an archer to have to figure out, espcially that one part.. but that's what's good about it. If you can't be clever/dumb enough to beat that quest then you're not clever/dumb enough to be an archer.
Old 02-15-2009, 02:47 AM

Deaf has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Lol I almost did the archer quest on a level 10 human *pauses to toss the last dirt over adventuress Betrayed's quick burial* with nothing trained except 5 merchant and 9 range (and some level 1 skills I got from tutorial). Equipped with merely a crossbow and 150 bolts in a quiver.

Yeah... Lots of kind folks resisted me. Dracco, Enseru, and sorry if I forgot lol.

Since I knew the quest inside out, I knew I was at the end like by one map. Maddening! Everything had to run out at the last minute lol. Yeah anyways... I also calculated that to guild fast it is much more worth it to first train merchant then start looting. You pay 25k for 5 merchant, and then you collect 59 rare items to make 100k. That's only 84 rare items you need to collect (to get 5 merchant AND make 100k!!!) compared to collecting 100 rare items with 0 merchant to get the 100k to guild. Having 5 merchant should be first priority if you actually want to play the game with the good juicy ***age feeling. Yeah...those elves with wands and those masses of goblins...yum. Or you can be like me and get frustrated and hit the delete char button every so often.

Lol...I gave up though on the archer's quest haha because well I felt my hand starting to develop carpatunnel syndrome from playing hours on end. But yea dern...if only I could have gone back one last time with new resists and mana shield potion and heal potions...sigh...seems like everyone else just knew when to quit early. Levels I once had done it (go me!): 20 qdow elf, 15 thepixie pixie, and I can't remember the rest lol...Actually lol the quest was quite impossible... only able to do it with lots and lots of dying while peeling away at the monster defenses door to door slowly, and luck? or adrenaline? Yeah...wyvern is great for releasing our pent up dark sides...

Last edited by Deaf : 02-15-2009 at 04:08 AM.
Old 02-16-2009, 09:22 AM

Ellandra has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

What is meant by "dual shields"?
Old 02-16-2009, 10:15 AM

rilian has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Send a message via MSN to rilian

You can wear two shields and wield no weapon silly :P