Wyvern Forums

Review Wyvern Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Arcade
Go Back   Wyvern Forums > Archive > Wyvern Forums Archive > Off Topic
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chatbox Today's Posts

Off Topic Discuss anything unrelated to Wyvern here, within reason.

Old 07-30-2011, 08:51 PM
Forum Admin

Arilou has disabled reputation
Computer Mouse IE users have lower IQs

If you're stupid and you know it and you really want to show it... tell people you use Internet Explorer:

Quote:
A new study published by online psychometric testing company AptiQuant Psychometric Consulting Co. has found that a user's choice of web browser is related to their cognitive ability.

"There was a clear indication...that the subjects using any version of Internet Explorer ranked significantly lower on an average than others," said Aptiquant. Out of all the IE versions, "subjects using IE 8 [fared] a little better."

People using Opera, Camino and IE with Chrome Frame scored slightly higher than their not-so-bright Internet Explorer-using friends, suggesting that people with a lower IQ "tend to resist a change/upgrade of their browsers."

"There was no significant difference in the IQ scores between individuals using Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox and Apple's Safari; however, it was on an average higher than IE users," said Apitiquant.
Source: http://www.independent.co.uk/life-st...y-2328907.html
Old 07-31-2011, 10:31 AM
Player Mod

Jacksparow has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

another proud moment to admit that I use firefox.
Old 07-31-2011, 11:40 AM
Player Mod

Clubbz has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

It's not that people have a lower IQ for using IE. The reason the study has results like that is because most average people who buy computers use IE because the computer comes with it. I know numerous people who use IE simply because it was on the computer when they got it, it works well enough for anything they want to do. Even for me IE works well enough for what I do, given I use both Firefox and IE depending on what it is I'm trying to do. Firefox just plains loads some things better, and the same can be said for IE too.

Still, as I was originally saying, the study could show the same results for any of the other browsers, IF they were a default browser on a computer when it was purchased. Most regular, non-computer oriented people don't know, or care about the differences between the browsers and just want to get online.
Old 07-31-2011, 06:34 PM

Kama has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clubbz View Post
It's not that people have a lower IQ for using IE. The reason the study has results like that is because most average people who buy computers use IE because the computer comes with it. I know numerous people who use IE simply because it was on the computer when they got it, it works well enough for anything they want to do. Even for me IE works well enough for what I do, given I use both Firefox and IE depending on what it is I'm trying to do. Firefox just plains loads some things better, and the same can be said for IE too.

Still, as I was originally saying, the study could show the same results for any of the other browsers, IF they were a default browser on a computer when it was purchased. Most regular, non-computer oriented people don't know, or care about the differences between the browsers and just want to get online.
"Well enough" is hardly a good reason to stick with a browser... not to mention IE is riddled with some horrendous security holes.

You make a good point, nonetheless..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard View Post
another proud moment to admit that I use firefox.
So I suppose this is one of the proud moments where I should admit that I use Firefox, Midori, Seamonkey and 5 other LW browsers?

Last edited by Kama : 07-31-2011 at 06:36 PM.
Old 08-01-2011, 01:18 AM

Trayr is trapped in an Inn behind a dozen clones

Google chrome anyone?

No?

Oh well.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:42 AM
Wizard

Valkon has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

This says enough about IE users, lol

http://www.aptiquant.com/news/aptiqu...xplorer-users/
Old 08-01-2011, 01:30 PM

Salkand has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Send a message via AIM to Salkand

Good ol' Safari. I have firefox too, but I don't use it that much.
Old 08-03-2011, 10:05 AM

On that note, I think Firefox Portable deserves an honourable mention.

*nudges IE users innocently*

Thought I should share this - According to the BBC, this story was "an elaborate hoax".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-14389430
Old 08-03-2011, 01:28 PM
Wizardess

Teshuvah has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kama View Post
Thought I should share this - According to the BBC, this story was "an elaborate hoax".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-14389430
Umm of course it was. That's what makes the IE users sueing so hilarious. Everyone else knew it was a hoax rofl
Old 08-03-2011, 04:16 PM
Forum Admin

Must you ruin my fun? I wanted to see more people argue that they weren't stupid because they use Internet Explorer. *growls at you*
Old 08-03-2011, 04:49 PM
Wizardess

Teshuvah has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arilou View Post
Must you ruin my fun? I wanted to see more people argue that they weren't stupid because they use Internet Explorer. *growls at you*
*Cackle* They still will, they have low IQs
Old 08-04-2011, 12:30 AM

Aww, be nice Arilou. IE users aren't stupid, they're just "Intelligence Deficient".

Plus, allowing Remote Code Execution when an application loads an external library is always good thing, right? I mean, it just *sounds* cool.

(Almost as cool as "Buffer Flow Exploit"!)

Last edited by Kama : 08-04-2011 at 12:39 AM.
Old 08-04-2011, 09:00 AM
Forum Admin

I didn't say they were stupid. I just find it funny when people get offended and try to defend their intelligence. Mind you, I also find it funny when others start acting superior and laughing at others for bogus reasons (I, personally, could care less what browser anyone uses - I've used most of them at one point or another in my life). And you, my soon to be flayed alive little kitty... you put an end to all that amusement. *glares dangerously*
Old 08-04-2011, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arilou View Post
I didn't say they were stupid. I just find it funny when people get offended and try to defend their intelligence. Mind you, I also find it funny when others start acting superior and laughing at others for bogus reason (I, personally, could care less what browser anyone uses - I've used most of them at one point or another in my life). And you, my soon my flayed alive little kitty... you put an end to all that amusement. *glares dangerously*
I was being facetious, if it wasn't obvious. >.>

(And my points about IE's security issues stand - those are legitimate issues, and serious ones at that. Not saying any other browser is inherently better, but at least some of them seem to get patches out in a reasonable timeframe. For that matter, I always sandbox my browser, and recommend others do so.. which I doubt most IE users do, or know how to, unfortunately. But, then again, I'm not an average user. *shrug* )

*runs now*

(Edit: Err.. and to clarify, "sandbox" in this context basically refers to limiting browser permissions, so that it can't write/execute files places it shouldn't, etc., in case anyone was confused by that. That nasty e-mail virus that's going around? A properly sandboxed browser has a *much* lower chance of infecting your computer when you click that innocent-looking link.)

*runs faster*

Oh, plus Firefox has the NoScript add-on (which works on any Mozilla-based browser, so far as I can tell). Go firefox!

Last edited by Kama : 08-05-2011 at 10:35 AM.
Old 08-05-2011, 02:44 PM

Lanterra has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clubbz View Post

I agree with you. Although it seems like the trend this days is tipping more and more back to apples, so eventually it will probably be their browser that has those results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kama View Post
Aww, be nice Arilou. IE users aren't stupid, they're just "Intelligence Deficient".

Plus, allowing Remote Code Execution when an application loads an external library is always good thing, right? I mean, it just *sounds* cool.

(Almost as cool as "Buffer Flow Exploit"!)
"Intelligence Evading" you mean :P Sorry I know it's not the best, but there's not many equivalents to deficient that start with E.

Last edited by Lanterra : 08-05-2011 at 02:50 PM.
Old 01-04-2012, 12:41 PM

Gate has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

I use google chrome too Trayr. I used firefox for years but then I switched when I got my new computer.
Old 01-10-2012, 02:58 PM

rilian has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Send a message via MSN to rilian

My experience in tech support definately goes in favor of this "research". Only because a majority of the population uses windows, its default browser is ie, and since the (1)majority of the popultation is computer retarded(that is the official term, trust me) they don't know how to download another browser. And the truth is, my users can barely find out how to get on the internet. I definately dont want them doing something as *difficult as downloading a browser.

*= see (1)
Old 01-19-2012, 08:00 AM
Player Mod

binsenkind has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

when i moved to firefox many years ago, i did it because firefox was a small and quick browser. i still use firefox, but itīs not small and quick anymore.
on my 2006 thinkpad (Pentium M 2Ghz, 2GB Ram, Windows 7, PATA SSD) firefox is running horrible, even if i delete my profiles and make a clean install. itīs probably because those databases firefox is running.
why must a browser take hundreds of megabytes in ram ? on my android-phone my browser is doing a good job and takes maybe a tenth of memory-space
the newer IE versions are ok, i think most prejudices against IE are because of version 6 and because itīs from microsoft
i donīt like chromes look and feel.
so i have no satisfying browser a the moment

maybe iīm too smart for all of them