Wyvern Forums

Review Wyvern Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Arcade
Go Back   Wyvern Forums > Archive > Wyvern Forums Archive > Wyvern Help
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chatbox Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Wyvern Help Ask, answer, and provide information regarding the game or forum.

Old 06-04-2010, 10:28 PM

Zarnium has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Default New Player- Have some questions

Hello all, obviously I'm new and just have a few questions before I make my character:

1. Which race is the best to start on and what exactly are the strengths and weaknesses of each race, generally? I know there are descriptions in the manual, but without actually playing the game myself yet I don't really understand them.

2. I can't seem to download the client properly. I have Mac OS X 10.6.3. Every time I try to open the Jexpressinstaller icon, it gives me these ".log" files that don't do anything and say "Unable to find JRE 1.4.1 on your system." In any case, the web client appears to work fine.

3. How do you pronounce the name? Why-vern? Way-vern?
Old 06-05-2010, 07:23 AM

Machuno Besar has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

1. Go start with a dwarf, they're really cool first characters.
2. Have you tried the pure java version?
Old 06-05-2010, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machuno Besar View Post
1. Go start with a dwarf, they're really cool first characters.
2. Have you tried the pure java version?
Alright, I may start out with a dwarf then. And thanks, the Java client seems to work fine .
Old 06-05-2010, 12:27 PM
Player Mod

Halloween has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

3. Why-vern

Old 06-05-2010, 11:46 PM

Thanks . I was also wondering couple other things:

4. How much do you need to trade with other players to survive in the game? I only ask because the game's population seems rather sparse right now and I'm worried about having to find people to buy stuff from.

5. I'm usually more of a loner in MMOs. I don't like to join playergroups or anything because then you've gotta set times and appointments when you're going to play. Can you survive without assistance from other players? Of course, there's obviously some things you won't be able to do alone, but I'm speaking generally. The whole thing about teaming for quests being nearly forbidden makes it sound like there's stuff you can do without teaming.

(For the record, I do still like MMOs because the option of playing cooperatively or competitively is still there. I will do things with other players, I just don't like making commitments in case something comes up.)

6. Anything in particular I should now about in-game rules and stuff? I'm having trouble finding a definitive code of conduct, and finding a lot of rather vague rules in the manual.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

EDIT: Oh yeah, one more thing... what does "stealing kills" mean? Is that just killing someone's monster right before they do?

Last edited by Zarnium : 06-05-2010 at 11:49 PM.
Old 06-06-2010, 03:21 AM

Kabroz has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

4. You don't necessarily need to buy items from other players to survive, although it does help save gold and perhaps also save you the trouble of looking for said items in shops. Also, if you farm decently (The merchant skill helps with this) you can actually buy all the items you want in shops.

5. One can survive alone, without the help of another player, but this requires good preparation and plenty of resistances/scrolls/potions as well as knowledge of the area you plan on farming/training in.

On a side note, there are some key skills that a newer player can get that help quite a bit in the long run. Plus, with the untrainer, you can ditch the skills later on if you wish to. Some of these skills are: Merchant (increase gold from sales, and decrease cost of purchases), Spirit Travel (decreases exp lost upon death), Healing (it... well... increases hp regeneration rate), Meditation (increases mp[sp] regeneration rate, good for mana shield users and casters).
Old 06-10-2010, 01:56 AM

Exile has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarnium View Post
6. Anything in particular I should now about in-game rules and stuff? I'm having trouble finding a definitive code of conduct, and finding a lot of rather vague rules in the manual.
http://cabochon.com/wyvern/rules

Basically use common sense. Don't share quest information with anyone, don't bypass the filter in any way, including using characters or implying things that you mean. Don't harass people. Report bugs immediately and don't abuse them.
Old 06-11-2010, 09:03 AM

Cyrus has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Much has been said already. I just add few words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarnium View Post
4. How much do you need to trade with other players to survive in the game? I only ask because the game's population seems rather sparse right now and I'm worried about having to find people to buy stuff from.
One possibility is to post in those forums (Auction House subforum), what exactly would you like to buy. It increases the chances that people who are not online when you are online, notice your request and can make some arrangements with you.

Quote:
5. I'm usually more of a loner in MMOs. I don't like to join playergroups or anything because then you've gotta set times and appointments when you're going to play.
Same with me. Besides the fact that i usually play at late evening when my 1y4m son is sleeping. If he should wake i need to help him to get back to sleep again. That's why it's almost impossible for me to group in nowadays. Besides the fact what you already mentioned: i like to play when i want to play and sign out when i need to

Quote:
Can you survive without assistance from other players? Of course, there's obviously some things you won't be able to do alone, but I'm speaking generally. The whole thing about teaming for quests being nearly forbidden makes it sound like there's stuff you can do without teaming.
Yes, you can. I'm 20th level dwarf and i have never grouped (well, i still have plan to do it someday, when i have plenty of time and nothing hinders me). Of course i admit, that i have levelled very slowly (this is my one and only character as dwarf since i started in April 2004), but it is due to the fact that i take the game easy, and not because i haven't grouped yet.

Quote:
EDIT: Oh yeah, one more thing... what does "stealing kills" mean? Is that just killing someone's monster right before they do?
I'm not sure, but i bet that it means stealing the loot from the monster who was killed by someone else. I might be wrong, though. Still, there are players who don't care about loots from low level monsters, so it depends on situation IMO.

Last edited by Cyrus : 06-12-2010 at 05:33 PM.