Wyvern Forums

Review Wyvern Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Arcade
Go Back   Wyvern Forums > Archive > Wyvern Forums Archive > Off Topic
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chatbox Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off Topic Discuss anything unrelated to Wyvern here, within reason.

Old 03-31-2013, 05:37 AM
Forum Admin

Arilou has disabled reputation
Joystick Europe loses to Native forces!

*blinks* I don't imagine anyone cares about this, but I have waited so long to hear the following words that I had to share it with as many people as possible. "Congratulations, exalted leader! You are victorious! You alone are the supreme leader of the New World. May your enemies grovel before you and offer their humblest blessings to your health."

For some 15 odd years I, from time to time, have been playing something called Conquest of the New World and have spent a half dozen or so games trying to lead the natives to victory over the colonial powers. My latest attempt has been spread out over about a year and a half and finally, this morning, I did it. I couldn't build cannons or buildings over level 2 (meaning, for example, that my new troops always started out at a 3 compared to a 5 for the Europeans) and I've run out of pool memory countless times for building massive armies to try to combat the smaller but oh so powerful enemy forces. That is a huge pain as you need to build and protect so many more colonies to support larger armies and, in fact, the limitations are so great that when playing the natives your objective is not to beat the colonial powers, but federate 15 native tribes.

Of course, that is far too easy when playing against a computer, as is playing as one of the European powers. So I have always wanted to lead the natives to victory the hard way and, like the crazy Q Bert guy, I have spent untold hours in pursuit of my goal. So, to the British, who always seems to overwhelm the other European powers in my native controlled games, resulting in a long drawn out war between the two of us, I say this: YOU LOSE! Mwahahaha! *drools*

So this isn't just about my insanity... does anyone have any war based strategy games that they love playing?
Old 03-31-2013, 01:30 PM
Player Mod

Jacksparow has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

I played a game called SpaceO for a long time. I won it's round system multiple times, and am now one of the admins for it. I don't code though, because the owner doesn't trust anyone with it's coding (sound familier). But it's a very fun space turn based game that occupies a lot of time. If anyone asks how you found out about the game just say that Borg sent you, and they'll be sure to help you out with playing.
Old 04-01-2013, 05:22 PM

Lanterra has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arilou View Post
So this isn't just about my insanity... does anyone have any war based strategy games that they love playing?
Depends what you mean by war based? I've played both Tribal Wars and Grepolis, and they're awesome. I've never done well however, due to the fact that every time I get into one I loose access to constant internet and I either get wiped out, or deleted if it lasts long enough.

I love the Age of Empires games from the PC..... take awhile to get going but once I do I really annoy people. My strategy tends to be to absolutely max out my population on workers in games that allow it, grab as many resources as I can fast, and then start building squared in areas with walls (two or three sets of walls thick if I have the chance) and gates, then filling those in with castles and/or towers (depending on resources, space, and of couse which game, as castles are only in 2) so that everyone has to fight their way through horribly multilayered defenses to attack me later in the game. When I'm sure of my food and wood supplies I'll deleted the workers on them and begin making armies. If the game goes long enough I might eventually delete all my workers and go full army, or I may leave workers building walls and castles and towers. Overall I just build my economy as fast as possible, making it horribly hard for anyone to get at me, and wait for them to run out of resources, using a small army to rush out and kill their long range siege weapons if needed. (On a small map in single player random map I once spent twelve hours on this strategy, until the whole map was walled in, at which point I finally destroyed the remaining enemy building)

Also like Rise of Nations but haven't played it as much.

Last edited by Lanterra : 04-01-2013 at 05:25 PM.
Old 04-02-2013, 03:24 AM

Logwad has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Send a message via AIM to Logwad Send a message via MSN to Logwad

Nothing feels as good as conquering a pointless self imposed challenge. I remember when I accidentally did such a thing to myself in the gameboy game "Link's Awakening". I had to defeat the final form of the final boss using only sword beams, requiring me to stay at full health throughout the whole bossfight. All because I only checked once if the other weapons worked (you had to hit a small area dead on) and I had apparently missed.

Never got too much into hardcore strategy games but Master of Magic and Heroes of Might and Magic 3 (with the wake of Gods fan expansion/mod) are my two favorite strategy/turn based games.
Old 04-02-2013, 04:45 PM

Knop has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logwad View Post
Never got too much into hardcore strategy games but Master of Magic and Heroes of Might and Magic 3 (with the wake of Gods fan expansion/mod) are my two favorite strategy/turn based games.
HoMM3 rules! I've been playing it on and off for 14 years. I've purchased multiple copies of the game, because I've lost mine several times over the years. A month ago I bought HoMM3 Complete off GOG.com and have been enjoying that with the HD addon. Send me a PM if you want to do a match or something. I've almost never played over the net, usually I would hotseat with buddies instead, but it could be fun.
I actually would do studies of the Heroes 3 sprite art to improve my pixel art skills for Wyvern back in the day, and it helped. Homm 3 still has a lot of fans, and there's a widespread sentiment that it's the best in the series, mainly due to its charming art style.

A fun challenge that I find myself repeating often in that game is to play a random map on top difficulty with max monsters and a starting hero with diplomacy. Early and mid-game are tough, especially if the opponent gets to you soon, because they start with a lot of advantages, but then the monster stacks on the map start growing exponentially and if they start joining you, you turn into a juggernaut very rapidly. I guess that's not really a challenge, although it can feel like you're very gimped in the beginning.
Old 04-02-2013, 05:02 PM

Frosten has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knop View Post
HoMM3 rules! I've been playing it on and off for 14 years. I've purchased multiple copies of the game, because I've lost mine several times over the years. A month ago I bought HoMM3 Complete off GOG.com and have been enjoying that with the HD addon. Send me a PM if you want to do a match or something. I've almost never played over the net, usually I would hotseat with buddies instead, but it could be fun.
I actually would do studies of the Heroes 3 sprite art to improve my pixel art skills for Wyvern back in the day, and it helped. Homm 3 still has a lot of fans, and there's a widespread sentiment that it's the best in the series, mainly due to its charming art style.

A fun challenge that I find myself repeating often in that game is to play a random map on top difficulty with max monsters and a starting hero with diplomacy. Early and mid-game are tough, especially if the opponent gets to you soon, because they start with a lot of advantages, but then the monster stacks on the map start growing exponentially and if they start joining you, you turn into a juggernaut very rapidly. I guess that's not really a challenge, although it can feel like you're very gimped in the beginning.
ZOMG a wild Knop!

Glacio (Frost Giant Axeman) (level 30)
Then (Human Mage) (level 28)
Shoot (Rakshasa Caveman) (level 26)
Magiz (Halfling Enchanter) (level 26)
Patron (Human Conjurer) (level 25)
Dboss (Halfling Rogue) (level 25)
Old 04-04-2013, 02:09 AM
Forum Admin

Arilou has disabled reputation

Conquest of the New World would be an epic game to play with people, but sadly I didn't take the opportunity to play online when there was a possibility that I could and the people I know in my life aren't inclined to play such a long drawn out strategy game. But I love stuff like that. I actually was introduced to Axis and Allies, the board game, when I was five and although I lost every time until my pre-teens, I would love strategizing for days and doing everything possible to drag things out. Technically, you can tell that the game is over once your enemy captured certain key territories, but I always insisted on playing to my last man. I remember once, I lost everything but a small portion of southern Africa where I had a small army of British troops and the remains of my fleet. Did I give up? No, I made a play for Japan - I loaded up my transports and made one last desperate struggle to reach the then under defended nation state in hopes of claiming it and restarting the war from there. I think it takes 3-4 turns to get there and I never made it, but it was fun trying.

With Conquest of the New World, it combines city building, exploration, and war, but the AI is terrible so once I learned how it operates, the experience that I had when I first started playing was gone. At that point, the only challenge left was to play as the natives. Of course, you can still work the AI (I don't think I could ever win as the natives against real people). For example, they never build up a proper fleet. Every now and then they'll build a ship from each of their cities, but it's rare and they only ever build one port per city. Meaning they can only ever build one ship at a time. Whereas I always build as many ports as I can and completely blockade any attempt to bypass my land defenses and hit my cities head on. Meanwhile I quickly take any islands and build as many colonies as I can on them as I know they are completely safe and so I can always fall back there if my main colonies are lost and I can use them to build additional armies. Also, they never sit back and build a proper united force to come get you. They just keep sending waves of small armies after you whereas I defend as best I can while building additional colonies so that I can create more troops. I then hit the small incoming armies with my own armies before they can reach my city and retreat my troops rather then let them fight to the death. So my generals level up (allowing them to manage more troops, allowing their troops to do more attackers per turn, etc.) and so do my troops. Therefore, I am properly equipped when I take the offensive.

This takes awhile to do, but it's simple and doesn't present a challenge anymore. What would be really great is if you had 5-6 different people all with their own motivations, strategy, and the ability to team up. Is the British about the take Holland's last colony? I don't think so. Not only will the British become too powerful for me to handle right now, but Holland serves as a nice buffer between our colonies so I'm going to team up to knock the British down a peg. But wait, then Holland becomes too powerful, so maybe this time I'll team up with Spain. A game like that with different people could take weeks to play through and it would amazing. But, people seem to be more interested in quick and to the point games. That slow build up and long period of scheming doesn't seem to interest many people and certainly when it comes to a computer game from the mid 90s.

Another 90s pc game that I rather enjoy is Lords of Magic. It's a fantasy game where you can play one of 8 elemental lords (Lord of Life, Lord of Fire, etc). They all have different troops that they can create and special abilities. Your goal is to capture nearby hamlets, mines, and breweries and use the resources to level up your state so you can build up your forces and go after the other lords. There's a world map that you move armies through but combat takes place in a map of its own where you move individual forces (archers, mages, fighters, thieves) against your enemies in a strategic way. It's not as random as Conquest (the map that you explore and colonize is randomly generated each time you play in that game) but I rather enjoy that there's the possibility to capture enemy troops and have them fight for you. Since they're troops you can't create on your own, it makes things rather interesting. Sadly, while you can can capture enemy vessels in Conquest (that's really good for the natives as it's their only chance to have level 4 ships - they can only build up to level 2) you can't do the same with troops. So I can't build a native army with artillery which really annoys me. Granted, it's perfectly reasonable not to expect the Europeans to serve Native masters, but I should at least be able to take their equipment.

Oh and to go back to board games for a bit - Risk is fun, but people don't seem to know how to play. They always try to take Australia first and while they get a nice bonus from having the whole continent, they have nowhere to go from there. It's simply not a good launching off point - They can't just go and take/hold all of Asia and trying to divert forces to a continent far off makes you more vulnerable. My strategy? Go for South America first.

The benefit of Australia is that there's only one point of entry to the continent so it's easier to defend, whereas South America has two entries. But once you have those points secure, you can split one of your armies in two and take North America. From there you can prevent your enemy from claiming any one continent besides Australia. Is someone taking Europe? Simply move the army defending Greenland one space into Iceland. You have the same level of defense and then you can branch into a third continent. I usually go for Africa, then Europe, then Asia, and finally Australia.

Granted, that is an overly simplified method and you have to be careful when playing against multiple people as they're apt to team up against you if you take North America. But if you manage your cards properly, you can use the continent bonuses to create enough troops to maintain control of your borders if you're ready to go on the offensive. You also have to mix things up if you're playing with the same people as they will catch on and do everything they can to block you from getting South America after a few games. But, it's a good strategy against new opponents.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:54 AM

Well if we're going into board games, I've seen Axis and Allies but haven't gotten my hands on it, however I've played a little bit of the Catan games. Sadly it's very little as noone in my life likes strategy games much, especially ones involving trading....

Going back to computer games does anyone here know Battle for Wesnoth? I've played that one a ton, usually as rebels or loyalists.

Also got a open source remake of the original civilization game but haven't played it much as it's impossible to properly fit it on my screen.

On the topic of giving yourself personal challenges, I rarely do it in strategy games other than sometimes going one again vast numbers of opponents (and usually getting creamed), but I've done it in other types of games, such as RPGs or Shooters- Examples are trying to get through RPGs on only items found (depending on the RPG may be easy constant, hard constant, or may be hard at one point and easy at others), or to go through the game using only the most basic and mundane weapons and armor (always a challenge, and one that works best with a game with no level limits and the ability to way surpass what could be considered reasonable levels for the later monsters/bosses.....and a ton of patience), or going through a FPS without dying at all (either per level or ever... I'm actually really bad with this, dying and being brought back tends to hurt my suspension of disbelieve unless there's a good reason given for my ability to come back, for example in Planescape: Torment, or any game with a ressurection spell/item and teammates to use it- but then a TPK would be it, or Star Wars: Battlefront with reinforcements, or whatever. I intensely irritate my brother, who is more of a smash 'em up, blow 'em up, get killed and come back for more type of gamer with the amount of false starts I tend to have with games before I either get fed up and throw suspension of disbelief out the window, or manage to finish the game my way, or find a compromise.), or using only the pistol or melee.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:22 AM
Player Mod

Clubbz has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

I was never a big fan of HoMM 3, I did however, thoroughly enjoy HoMM 2 a lot. I still have the hard copy, I just can't get it to run on windows 7.
Old 04-10-2013, 04:50 AM

jezrald has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanterra View Post
Going back to computer games does anyone here know Battle for Wesnoth? I've played that one a ton, usually as rebels or loyalists.
I like BfW a lot, mostly the campaign side; I've never been that amazing at MP strategy. HttT and UtBS are probably my favorites.

Jezrald is a Level 27 Halfling Archer; my other alts are all below 20.
Old 04-10-2013, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jezrald View Post
I like BfW a lot, mostly the campaign side; I've never been that amazing at MP strategy. HttT and UtBS are probably my favorites.
I mostly like the campaign side to, but playing the multiplayer maps vs. the computer can be nice, I also like playing a single computer multiplayer game sometimes