Wyvern Forums

Review Wyvern Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Arcade
Go Back   Wyvern Forums > Archive > Wyvern Forums Archive > General
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chatbox Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General For serious discussions about general Wyvern topics.

Old 07-03-2016, 02:14 PM
Player Mod

Dracco has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown View Post
Yo Draco,

To be able to exploit every feature of the game (as long as you are not affecting the game experience of others) without fear of retaliation, that's what I mean. Please don't start making it personal and accusing me of god like complex... dude it's just a game, there's nothing wrong with me.

I got to admit, I was able to discover only 1 bug of medium relevance in the many years I played: been able to double the bonus you get from a guild by making some kind of sequence of wearing and unwearing stuff. Man how frustrating it was that upon discovering and reporting it, instead of a thanks and a reward what I got was a request to log off and threat that if I was saw doing it again I was joining the ban pile.

Now, how can you motivate players to explore find, errors, and report them if you gave no reward but just punishments? and isn't the whole purpose of beta testing to do that? to get people to handle what could potentially be the final product and provide feedback.

From what I can see, when/if the games comes out, there will still be the role of wizard, and they will still be generating new content (which I must say, I believe they did a fair job doing), and there will still be interaction between players and wizards, and that's ok what will change is the moderation bit... after reading the reddit logs I see now I was not the only one who found it extremely invasive for wizards to be able to pop out on private conversations, or to track you every move in the game for example.

But anyway, my objective on this post is not to trash talk about the wizes. I just have high expectations now that I have read all of Steve's announcements on how the game is coming back. Even the fact that it's oriented for tablets and phones I think it's a smart move, as it mean you have more flexibility to when and where you can play.
I never said a god complex was good or bad, you took it as having a negative connotation. You also didn't take the option of it possibly being something wrong with the game.

Wyvern was always a competitive game so abusing/exploiting a bug is destroying other players' game experience just as performance enhancing drugs destroy competitiveness in sports. A large portion of players were playing to see how far they can get up the various high score lists, be the top PKer, or win competitive end game content such as live quests.

I have reported quite a few game breaking bugs that I found on various characters (infinite mana pool, infinite gold, walking through walls) and never once got reprimanded or rewarded. The only time I was contacted about a bug was one I did not know existed and that was gaining exp from dying at level 30+ (I had not died since level 28), and they simply asked me to not put myself into situations that could risk death until the bug was fixed.

The only time a wizard had contacted me about breaking the rules was when my brother and I were RDing over the same IP address and I was accused of being on multiple characters. I simply responded saying it was my brother and it stopped at that.

I don't know where the players are coming from that had so many issues with wizards because I had not experienced it. I had far more positive encounters with wizards than negative. One time I finally finished that sidescroller quest less than 15 minutes from reboot and someone had killed the quest NPC. I had asked for help in shouts and what to do then got a whisper from Arilou telling me to leave the map so he can reset it. From what I can see, the players that had an issue with the moderation of Wyvern were the ones who were either breaking the rules and got caught or became hot headed at any accusation towards them and flipped out.
Old 07-03-2016, 04:04 PM
Player Mod

Jacksparow has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
finding a bug is something that you will actually look forward now as it'll be something you can exploit

now that the game scope is to be fun and not anti-cheating.
You must be a really fun person to be around.... If you enjoy exploiting things and cheating. I feel like you would be a very trustworthy person to watch over my dog as I go on vacation.
Old 07-03-2016, 04:10 PM

Unknown has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Dude, great that you had a nice game experience, I respect your opinion, but disagree with it...

Anyway it doesn't matter anymore, when/if the game comes back there will be changes that I personally l'm looking forward to... 4-5-8 years ago my mind set was to move on from the Wyvern I used to know (I quit by stages)... from what I see this new version will be like an entire new game in some aspects, and I can trash my pride and swallow my words:

Yep, I want to give it a try to the new Wyvern, I think its going to be better.
2008-06-14 12:58:18 Deathwish – killed by a poisonous Xipe Totec corpse
Old 07-04-2016, 12:15 AM
Player Mod

Clubbz has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Dude, great that you had a nice game experience, I respect your opinion, but disagree with it...

Anyway it doesn't matter anymore, when/if the game comes back there will be changes that I personally l'm looking forward to... 4-5-8 years ago my mind set was to move on from the Wyvern I used to know (I quit by stages)... from what I see this new version will be like an entire new game in some aspects, and I can trash my pride and swallow my words:

Yep, I want to give it a try to the new Wyvern, I think its going to be better.
The 'new Wyvern' will be a game with a small fraction of the content, and much of the content will be of a lower quality than what existed. Not to mention the game will be plagued with a type of player that is toxic to everyone around it. They've all come crawling out of the dark cracks like cockroaches, telling these stories about how they're the victims and did nothing wrong, when in truth any punishment they received they deserved.

I played Wyvern for years, I always received a warning before punishment, as did everyone I played with, with the very rare exception of someone being silenced for inappropriate shouting, which was normally quite a short silence. I received a temporary banishment once, was silenced several times, and was even muted once or twice(which to me was worse than banishment). I deserved every one of those punishments, I broke the rules, plain and simple. Ignorance is not an excuse, and even trying to use it as an excuse, there was almost always warnings, especially from the main Wizards who everyone complains about.

What everyone who is praising Rhialto, and chastising the Wizards need to remember, is R left the game for years. He can claim he was busy with work and family, but it honestly isn't that hard to answer some emails once and a while, or just pop in for an hour or two and see how the game was doing. They simply enforced the rules that he wrote, and because of it, they became the 'bad guys'. Everyone blames them for their punishments, and their bans when they simply enforced a set of rules that was written by someone else for them to enforce. If Rhialto really thought they were too harsh, or that a rule or two didn't belong anymore, he had the power to change the rules as he wrote them. It would have taken very little time, as far as I know they were only posted on the website. Editing a Webpage is actually quite quick and easy work, and it's something that he should have been capable of doing without any real effort.

That's why it's honestly the death of Wyvern. He's using the name to tug at the nostalgia strings of those who played it years ago and remember it fondly, but at the same time destroying everything that made it great and make's the vast majority of people want to play it again. But it's going to have no moderation, be full of toxic players, and have very little quality content.

Last edited by Clubbz : 07-04-2016 at 09:29 AM.
Old 07-04-2016, 05:29 AM

Unknown has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Hey Clubbz!

I do remember your name, but it’s been so long that I’m not sure if we ever team up in the game. Hope you don’t take me for one of the toxic players also I do hope to see you around for the Alpha, I’m planning to test if 100% support is competitive now, so if you see the name “Ambulance” that should be me.
2008-06-14 12:58:18 Deathwish – killed by a poisonous Xipe Totec corpse