Wyvern Forums

Review Wyvern Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Arcade
Go Back   Wyvern Forums > Archive > Wyvern Forums Archive > Miscellaneous
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chatbox Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Miscellaneous For anything related to Wyvern that does not fit into the other forums (this is not a place to goof off and post whatever nonsense comes to mind).

Old 02-09-2016, 10:24 PM
Forum Admin

Arilou has disabled reputation
Default Example of Power Hungry Wizards Doing Whatever They Want

Steve Yegge <steve.yegge@gmail.com>

4/30/09

to Teshuvah, me

Hey you two,

Normally I make it a point not to intervene on behalf of players when they get into trouble. You two have been around long enough to have developed a good feel for these things.

However, in myke's case, we're talking about one of the oldest old-timers in the history of the game. She pre-dates both of you (I'm pretty sure myke is a "she" in RL, though she doesn't like to advertise that) and most of our other wizards. She's been one of the most rock-solid and reliably trustworthy players for the better part of a decade. When she says she had good intentions, my inclination is to believe her.

Please reconsider this banishment. Thanks!

R

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 10:45 AM
Subject: Dispute with a Wizard, please help.
To: steve.yegge@gmail.com

Dear Rhialto.

A couple of days ago, April 28th, 2009, my character, Myke***ie, was banished by Teshuvah. The reason was that she believed I was risking death (something I am not allowed to do due to the current level cap) by delivering WyvernPost errands to NPCs in Glacier Point. I believe this was not a valid reason, as I was certainly not running any risk of dying. To be precise, the only aggresive monsters that I would actually encounter, are Wolves. I don't believe that such a low-leveled monster could possibly have any chance of killing a fully-aware level 32 character, who also happened to be invisible.

I wish to get a second opinion on this matter, which is why I have came to you, as I hope you might be more sympathetic to my plight. I have played Wyvern for about seven years now, and it is my sincere wish to be able to continue playing this game. Please ask Teshuvah to reconsider my banishment.

Thank you.

--------

Arilou

4/30/09

to Steve, Teshuvah

I'm not really sure what else to do at the moment. We can't really monitor everyone who will gain xp upon death so we asked them (both personally and in the news) not to do anything that might lead to that happening while we waited for this to be resolved. The best thing for everyone affected by it right now would be to go play on another account, but some have persisted in getting themselves into combat situations. So they were banished only until this can be resolved (at which point we fully intend to restore Myke***ie and another player who we also had an issue with in this matter).

If you want us to undo the banishment right now, you don't have to ask, we'll just do it - You're the boss. However, doing that will not only force us to have to trust him to make sure he can avoid death, but it could potentially make others in this situation less inclined to take us seriously when we tell them not to train (several are already suspected of intentionally abusing that bug in the past so they can't really be trusted).

To be frank, this situation could've been dealt with months ago. We stressed how serious the bug was and asked for help in emails several times. We even got Legolas to look into it and I'm told you ignored an email from him about it as well. Now, we could potentially get Contrare to do something about it, but he still hasn't been promoted and I'm not sure if it's because you don't have time or you don't want to promote him and for some reason won't just tell us no. Which is an answer we'd prefer to hear if that's the case as we kind of feel like we're being strung along much of time. What we really need is an active arch wizard who knows what they're doing and we're not it - We're just mapmakers and admins who can only do so much and so we're trying to deal with these long standing issues that we have no way to resolve as best we can. Which, unfortunately, has lead to a lot of high level players being unable to play the game in full for the last few months because of the seriousness of this bug. I hate that it has to come to that, but I really don't know what better option we have available to us. If you have one or you just want me to unbanish him before it is fixed, let me know. I'm more than happy to go with whatever you decide on the matter.

---

Steve Yegge <steve.yegge@gmail.com>

4/30/09

to me, Teshuvah

I understand that it's a serious problem. It's also a very tricky one to solve,
or I'd have done it by now.

How about if we compromise: you unbanish myke, and I'll find time to promote
Contrare this week. He's welcome to take a look at the issue; I can even give
him some starting pointers.

R

---

Arilou

4/30/09

to Steve, Teshuvah

I understand, it's just rather upsetting that serious issues like this have been going unresolved for periods of time throughout the years and have so greatly impacted game balance. We have players with insane amounts of xp and we can't trust that any of them were gotten altogether fairly.

Anyway, there's really nothing to compromise about. Teshuvah and I are strong believers in you being the boss and will go along with any decision you make. So, I unbanished Myke***ie and if you don't want to promote Contrare, that's up to you (please, let us know though). I'd have prefered a system where we remained elders and had more access to specific things that we could help with. Although, I understand that's a lot of work, I feel like this promotion was giving up in a way for you and that as a result things are going to remain as is for awhile, so we feel that we need someone who is experienced to balance out our skill sets. But, it also feels like you're in a state where if we complain enough you just promote people and I don't want that to be the case. I just want to see some progress (or know progress is coming) as I've been at this for quite a number of years now without a lot of support and I've been wondering what the point has been lately and the promotion kinda bummed me out more so for the above reasons. But, I'm unloading and I'll stop now.
Old 02-26-2016, 01:02 PM
Player Mod

Rarkvar has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

I've just dropped in to do my random check on things and noticed Rhialto's post about porting the game to iOS, but this has me rather curious right now. I'm assuming that someone claimed that Wizards were power-hungry and in fact did whatever they wanted (Weren't they, though?). Is it appropriate to ask who might have said it?

Regardless, I've always heard you and Tesh mention how things were behind the scenes, and I've got to say that I'm impressed with your professionalism in this situation. It's a shame that I missed out on this bug, the extra levels could have really helped me get those rings of OmniMagic that I was after.