Wyvern Forums

Review Wyvern Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Arcade
Go Back   Wyvern Forums > Archive > Wyvern Forums Archive > Bug Report
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chatbox Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Bug Report Report any bugs with the game or the forum here. Note that it is usually best to use the bug command to report problems, so use this forum only as a last resort. If the bug involves quest information, mail a wizard.

Old 06-05-2009, 05:43 AM

anatil has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Default Durability, repairing, and blacksmiths. What do they have in common?

What do they have in common? Stupid question, ignore it. Moving on...

The main issue is that stupid appraisal glitch of the durability of repaired items. Ever since the system of repair damage was introduced one flaw always remained, the fact that an appraisal of an item which has been repaired 10+ times is the same as a brand new item. While the 10+ is extremely fragile...it looks exactly as durable as the brand new item? Makes buying auctioned armor and weapons kind of annoying: since we don't know which have been used severely and which are brand new.

Last edited by anatil : 06-05-2009 at 05:49 AM.
Old 06-05-2009, 07:23 AM
Wizardess

Teshuvah has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by anatil View Post
What do they have in common? Stupid question, ignore it. Moving on...

The main issue is that stupid appraisal glitch of the durability of repaired items. Ever since the system of repair damage was introduced one flaw always remained, the fact that an appraisal of an item which has been repaired 10+ times is the same as a brand new item. While the 10+ is extremely fragile...it looks exactly as durable as the brand new item? Makes buying auctioned armor and weapons kind of annoying: since we don't know which have been used severely and which are brand new.
You might want to try bug reporting this ingame as well. But do it in a way that makes more sense than this rambling, which makes absolutely no sense.
But blacksmithing itself is more than likely on the list to be totally redone anyway, but bug report it ingame anyway, this might be important.
But might not, since I can't tell.
Old 06-05-2009, 01:13 PM

Hamel has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

I think he's trying to say that if you appraise a weapon/piece of armor that's been repaired several times and has lost a good deal of durability, it will still say it has the same durability as before it was repaired.
Old 06-05-2009, 01:49 PM
Wizardess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamel View Post
I think he's trying to say that if you appraise a weapon/piece of armor that's been repaired several times and has lost a good deal of durability, it will still say it has the same durability as before it was repaired.
ah yes messages for blacksmith have a lot to be desired. But they arent "Wrong" per say just not what you are expecting I guess. But to explain it isn't going to help , yeah the whole blacksmith system is a mess, you wont ever get more exact messages, we are an RPG we dont do "numbers" but the system itself needs to be more helpful.
With a wider range of messages.
Old 06-05-2009, 02:37 PM

Zeofar has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
I think the ideal solution is to simply lower the possible of "newness" that an item can obtain when it has been repaired. If something is in "excellent condition", wears down, and is repaired, then it might never be in "excellent condition" again and the highest it might be is "fair." I don't know if the condition of an item has any effect on its usefulness, but even if this solution would degrade the usefulness of an item, it makes sense since a "new" sword that will fall apart as readily as a "badly worn" one doesn't have cause to function any better.
The only foreseeable problem for this is that it would stop players from auctioning highly repaired items, which means one of two things: (1), Well, good then, or (2), you need remove the obligation for an item to be repaired before being offered, and make sure that players understand that there's a "Buyer beware" policy. In my eyes, the second one seems fair, since in some cases the item doesn't need to be repaired to be useful, and sometimes players need to pay more attention to what they are actually doing.

Last edited by Zeofar : 06-05-2009 at 02:44 PM.
Old 06-05-2009, 03:14 PM
Wizardess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeofar View Post
I think the ideal solution is to simply lower the possible of "newness" that an item can obtain when it has been repaired. If something is in "excellent condition", wears down, and is repaired, then it might never be in "excellent condition" again and the highest it might be is "fair." I don't know if the condition of an item has any effect on its usefulness, but even if this solution would degrade the usefulness of an item, it makes sense since a "new" sword that will fall apart as readily as a "badly worn" one doesn't have cause to function any better.
The only foreseeable problem for this is that it would stop players from auctioning highly repaired items, which means one of two things: (1), Well, good then, or (2), you need remove the obligation for an item to be repaired before being offered, and make sure that players understand that there's a "Buyer beware" policy. In my eyes, the second one seems fair, since in some cases the item doesn't need to be repaired to be useful, and sometimes players need to pay more attention to what they are actually doing.
Thats the basic problem with the code, it looks at the full Hit points of the item and then the current damage, not the original HP of the item.
Repairing changes original hp.
Old 06-06-2009, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teshuvah View Post
Thats the basic problem with the code, it looks at the full Hit points of the item and then the current damage, not the original HP of the item.
Repairing changes original hp.
Like you just said: "repairing changes original hp". The bug is that with the appraisal of the item it continues to give the same durability status message as before it was repaired.

To use a diamond axe for example: before appraisal it gives you this message- "This weapon is extremely durable", after appraisal of the weapon you get this message- "This weapon is extremely durable". While its maximum hp has dropped, its still appraised as "extremely durable"...even if it will only lasts only 10% as long as a new one would,, it still gives that message. This is the bug.

The reason I didn't use the bug report is because this is a massive description and probably has more than a few angles than I know of (since I usually break my weapons long before the second or third repair). So I though a bit of a discussion couldn't hurt.

Old 06-06-2009, 01:13 AM
Wizardess

Quote:
Originally Posted by anatil View Post
Like you just said: "repairing changes original hp". The bug is that with the appraisal of the item it continues to give the same durability status message as before it was repaired.

To use a diamond axe for example: before appraisal it gives you this message- "This weapon is extremely durable", after appraisal of the weapon you get this message- "This weapon is extremely durable". While its maximum hp has dropped, its still appraised as "extremely durable"...even if it will only lasts only 10% as long as a new one would,, it still gives that message. This is the bug.

The reason I didn't use the bug report is because this is a massive description and probably has more than a few angles than I know of (since I usually break my weapons long before the second or third repair). So I though a bit of a discussion couldn't hurt.

I understand , but you dont understand my explanation why its doing it, but it doesnt matter, its just on the long list of things that need redone: blacksmithing
Old 06-06-2009, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teshuvah View Post
its just on the long list of things that need redone: blacksmithing
With that said, is there a way for us normal mortals to see said list? I'm a little curious as to what else is on it now.

Old 06-06-2009, 04:36 AM

Zeofar has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Here is a hyper-outdated Rhialto to-do list, which was likely still outdated in 2006 (When this archive was made), and contains lots more than bugs and things to be redone, and most likely has numerous bugs that have been fixed and things that have already been redone, while also probably not containing many important bugs that now exist; however, it is the best I can do myself, and might be the best us players will do for a while. I hope you like it.
http://web.archive.org/web/200608270...m/database.txt

Last edited by Zeofar : 06-06-2009 at 04:39 AM.
Old 06-06-2009, 01:00 PM

Thanks. Vast majority of these have, or at least I think they have, been fixed. Still fun to read through

Old 06-17-2009, 02:29 PM

Bitsey has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

today I saw an item in 'superb' condition. I believe this is new. Any relationship of superb condition to this issue? (e.g. ability to detect the durability/condition of items that have been repaired)
Old 06-17-2009, 02:32 PM
Wizardess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitsey View Post
today I saw an item in 'superb' condition. I believe this is new. Any relationship of superb condition to this issue? (e.g. ability to detect the durability/condition of items that have been repaired)
This message is caused by a separate bug that we are currently trying to solve, and has nothing to do with this issue at all (since nothing has been done to change that the messages are based on the hp of an item and not the original hp before repair that would entail recoding weapons entirely to keep code that it currently does not keep)and is only happening on a few items of janicas that we are aware of currently. If you get this message and the item is not :
whirly axe
poison sword
enchanted mallet

please bug report it.

PS I don't know that we want to give players the info if a weapon has been repaired x times etc or what its durability is, that really removes a great deal of RP , communication between players/trust between players.
If anything , possibly price should change, as other items do, but that is even doubtul because the only reason you know that is the current min/max system. Without that you would have no idea what the price of an item is currently.