Wyvern Forums

Review Wyvern Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Arcade
Go Back   Wyvern Forums > Archive > Wyvern Forums Archive > Off Topic
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chatbox Today's Posts

Off Topic Discuss anything unrelated to Wyvern here, within reason.

Old 04-17-2009, 09:42 AM
Wizardess

Teshuvah has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Default Pirate Bay File-Sharing Four Found guilty

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,516918,00.html
Old 04-17-2009, 12:55 PM
Player Mod

Clubbz has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

boooo, i use that site
Old 04-17-2009, 01:00 PM
Wizardess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clubbz View Post
boooo, i use that site
I wouldn't admit that.
Old 04-17-2009, 01:03 PM
Player Mod

Clubbz has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Meh, another day, another pirating site gets sued
Old 04-17-2009, 02:07 PM
Wizardess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clubbz View Post
Meh, another day, another pirating site gets sued
They did not get sued.
They are going to jail.
Old 04-17-2009, 03:23 PM

Orihime has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Ouch, that really is to bad
Old 04-17-2009, 03:29 PM
Wizardess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orihime View Post
Ouch, that really is to bad
LOL too bad. It's about time.
Old 04-18-2009, 04:25 AM

Crier has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Send a message via AIM to Crier

What I like about this ruling is that it goes against all logic, to me at least, well not all logic, but a little over-reaction. I have long been a fan, and advocate of torrents, and p2p sharing, even by getting nearly my whole campus on the bandwagon by using torrents. The ruling is nothing to do with the people and the supposed "damages" done to the Entertainment businesses, it is a ruling against the new technology of torrents.

This just makes me angry, and considering it is 4 in the morning and I am coming off a 13 hour shift...If anyone wants to continue this debate when I am less tired, let me know.

For now, I leave you with a link to a site with a movie to download, that I found VERY informative and provocative.

http://www.stealthisfilm.com/Part2/
"Big Brother in the form of an increasingly powerful government and in an increasingly powerful private sector will pile the records high with reasons why privacy should give way to national security, to law and order [...] and the like." - Justice William O. Douglas

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security would deserve neither and lose both." -Benjamin Franklin
Old 04-18-2009, 08:42 AM
Wizardess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crier View Post
What I like about this ruling is that it goes against all logic, to me at least, well not all logic, but a little over-reaction. I have long been a fan, and advocate of torrents, and p2p sharing, even by getting nearly my whole campus on the bandwagon by using torrents. The ruling is nothing to do with the people and the supposed "damages" done to the Entertainment businesses, it is a ruling against the new technology of torrents.

This just makes me angry, and considering it is 4 in the morning and I am coming off a 13 hour shift...If anyone wants to continue this debate when I am less tired, let me know.

For now, I leave you with a link to a site with a movie to download, that I found VERY informative and provocative.

http://www.stealthisfilm.com/Part2/
*laugh*
There is jail time and damages. So you are wrong on. It is very much about paying back those you stole from as well as paying for your crime.
Wait until someday when you create some amazing software/movie etc. and 90% of it is just stolen , never paid for. I think,You will feel very diffferently about "just sharing software" instead of actually making money for your work.

That anyone thinks you should be able to steal someone elses property and not pay for it, and that you think no one should be punished for it, is really just a symptom of a sense of entitlement that , if it wasn't so sad, would be funny.

The reason I posted this article in the first place is that we had a player recently use this site as an example of why he could steal any of wyverns code/art etc and it wasn't illegal or against any copyright laws.
There very much are copyright laws and torrents and sites like these break them and think nothing of them among other things. Copyright gives only the owner and who he gives permission to the right to give/sell or share whatever he owns , he even has the right to decide how the item can be used. It's his, not anyone elses.

The sense that "I can take it therefore it is mine" is wrong on many levels.
But computer folk have been battling software piracy for years and the battle just makes things harder for those who do not steal movies/software. Prices go up, software becomes harder to use legally with all of its protections etc.

There really is nothing to debate. It's illegal.

Last edited by Teshuvah : 04-18-2009 at 08:50 AM.
Old 04-18-2009, 12:46 PM

I know that stealing files is illegal, I may have said that, I don't remember I was tired. However, what I was driving more at was the way the entertainment companies track and compute their "losses." No matter what the case, the entertainment companies tally up EVERY single song, movie, book w/e that was downloaded and calls it a loss of revenue, where for the most part, if the media were not free, then no one would go out of their way for it. The is no way a company can gauge how much lost revenue there really was, all the can do is look at the numbers and say "we didn't sell X number of movies, the were stolen," where in the first place they probably would not have gotten sold anyways.

I know that violating copyright laws is an illegal act, however if anyone watched the movie, they will see there is a long history of "copyright infringers" such as the VCR. That's why I was saying this was an overreaction.
"Big Brother in the form of an increasingly powerful government and in an increasingly powerful private sector will pile the records high with reasons why privacy should give way to national security, to law and order [...] and the like." - Justice William O. Douglas

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security would deserve neither and lose both." -Benjamin Franklin
Old 04-18-2009, 01:05 PM

Logwad has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Send a message via AIM to Logwad Send a message via MSN to Logwad

While it is true that there are many who have a sense of entitlement, mass filesharing is really a symptom of how companies have behaved over the years. A lot of what I see is a reaction.

To declare the debate is over because something is illegal is in and of itself illogical. 70 million people[s] happened to disagree with you in 2004 alone. It's the same with many things, to be sure. There is something fundamentally wrong with how things are done now, and all the laws in the world won't stop people if that is the case. But don't get me wrong I'm not advocating information anarchy.

It should also be noted that they will appeal. The real end if this could be years away.

I'm also laughing because a wizard started a politics thread, even if the intent was to scare us. u:
Old 04-18-2009, 01:12 PM
Wizardess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logwad View Post
While it is true that there are many who have a sense of entitlement, mass filesharing is really a symptom of how companies have behaved over the years. A lot of what I see is a reaction.

To declare the debate is over because something is illegal is in and of itself illogical. 70 million people[s] happened to disagree with you in 2004 alone. It's the same with many things, to be sure. There is something fundamentally wrong with how things are done now, and all the laws in the world won't stop people if that is the case. But don't get me wrong I'm not advocating information anarchy.

It should also be noted that they will appeal. The real end if this could be years away.

I'm also laughing because a wizard started a politics thread, even if the intent was to scare us. u:
Lots of people disagree , they are the thieves. Somehow I have a hard time listening to folks who steal out of the cash register telling me I should leave it unlocked.

This is politics? Hardly. Re appeals, this is Stockholm, not the US. So I would have to look up their process to see if they even have a right to appeals.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2...ke-beating.ars

Another article on piracy destroying gaming.

Another "symptom" of how they treated you? They expected you to pay for a product and not steal it. I fail to see how that is treating you poorly.
Stealing has always been illegal. That isnt an illogical statement.
It's called "consequences of ones actions" which folks just think they shouldnt have to take.
So you will have to explain to me how expecting you to pay for a product and not steal it or get it free is fundamentally wrong.
Old 04-18-2009, 01:12 PM
Forum Admin

Arilou has disabled reputation

Discussion of laws and discussion of politics are not mutually exclusive. Do you see us telling people to be quiet when they go on their freedom of speech rants?
Old 04-18-2009, 01:16 PM

So, I assume you owned a VCR right?
So I also assumed, you probably weren't always home to watch the show you wanted to see, or the big game, so you threw a blank tape in the recorder saying you will watch it later right?

By that token, unless you have the written consent of The Entertainment Cooperation, and of the producers of the show, you are also a thief. And by your argument they are thieves regardless, and their arguments should not be listened to, no matter what because they are stealing...does that mean your argument is the same?

Old 04-18-2009, 01:24 PM
Wizardess

Quote:
So, I assume you owned a VCR right?
So I also assumed, you probably weren't always home to watch the show you wanted to see, or the big game, so you threw a blank tape in the recorder saying you will watch it later right?

By that token, unless you have the written consent of The Entertainment Cooperation, and of the producers of the show, you are also a thief. And by your argument they are thieves regardless, and their arguments should not be listened to, no matter what because they are stealing...does that mean your argument is the same?
lol you need to study a little bit more. The copying of a program for your replay is not a crime or you couldnt rent videos. So please dont spout nonsense without looking it up or you just prove what I said above.

You folks are destroying pc gaming and its all going to console which is not *at the moment* so easily stolen.
But go you!

Btw, this is in sweden, one of the most liberal countries in the world.
I'll come visit you in jail really I will..
Old 04-18-2009, 01:31 PM
Forum Admin

Arilou has disabled reputation

Why stop with videos, games, and other viral data? Want some toys, go shoplift them - http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090403/...al_shoplifters Just don't be stupid and try to sell them like this bunch and it's okay, right?
Old 04-18-2009, 01:34 PM

You are correct, it is only legal for personal replay...once. Otherwise the companies would count the taped movie or what ever, as lost revenue because you did not buy it, yet you watch it more then once.

The way I look at torrents is if you are in an apartment complex, and you ask your neighbor if you could borrow a movie to watch, because I make no money off of his movie and I just borrowed it and watched it, no harm was done. Are you saying that is illegal? That is how I approach p2p and file sharing, as if there was a transfer between friends of neighbors, no one is making money, and I watch it once, and if I really like it, I will go out and buy it. it is essentially, like you said renting, but no one is making money.

But I can see this is going to fall into one of those "debates" where you two fall back on your sense of superiority and will yell "your wrong, you don't know what you are talking about," until I give up.

So I give up.

Old 04-18-2009, 01:44 PM
Wizardess

When you have one copy you share and return, we can make the comparison.

Otherwise it is not the same thing. That is what the lawyers decided about videos as well.
It is not the same. Legally it is the difference between physical property and intelletual property. And never the twain shall meet. (at least so far)

You can, legally, take a game you bought, give it to a friend and delete your copy from anywhere you might have it, according to copyright laws, btw feel free!

Just do not randomly shoot people while doing it. *nod*
Old 04-18-2009, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teshuvah View Post
Legally it is the difference between physical property and intelletual property. And never the twain shall meet. (at least so far)

Just do not randomly shoot people while doing it. *nod*
Which is why in my first post I was spouting about laws against technology, the languauge of the law is inadequate in the informational play ground of the internet, how does one tell a "copy" from a store bought "digital copy" that some companies have started to include in with the DVDs (http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2008/01/15fox.html) That is what I was spouting about in the first post, there is a distinction between as you sai, physical and intellectual property, and there should be none, as far as I am concerned it just creates a double standard when it comes to digital data and physical media.

>.> I haven't shot anyone yet.....

Old 04-18-2009, 01:59 PM
Wizardess

Quote:

>.> I haven't shot anyone yet.....
There is a huge difference between "driving in the street" and "driving on my lawn" that is why there is a difference between physical and intellectual.
Somethings aren't yours to drive on they belong to someone else.

*looks at the shot comment.. starts to stay something and changes her mind*