Wyvern Forums

Review Wyvern Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Arcade
Go Back   Wyvern Forums > Archive > Wyvern Forums Archive > General
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chatbox Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General For serious discussions about general Wyvern topics.

Old 04-02-2013, 10:40 PM

Bullfrogz has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Send a message via AIM to Bullfrogz Send a message via MSN to Bullfrogz
Default Wyvern Subreddit

A wyvern subreddit was created where Rhialto plans to post updates about the game. You can find it here: www.reddit.com/r/wyvernrpg

All I ask is you read the rules on the sidebar and follow the posting guidelines.

Thank you!
Old 04-02-2013, 11:04 PM
Forum Admin

Arilou has disabled reputation

Aside from escaping the endless jokes of yours truly, what is the point of having this when people already have the forum?
Old 04-02-2013, 11:17 PM

Well a few reasons actually,

A lot of people prefer the reddit style of communication and have it integrated into their every day life. So it may just be a personal preference.

Rhialto posted there already and plans to keep doing so in the future (but on that we can only hope). He also asked we spread the word:

Quote:
In the meantime, tell everyone you know about this subreddit -- I'll be spending a lot of time here!
In the end, it doesn't hurt to have multiple areas and multiple ways to communicate about the game. Right now, with such a small number wyvern players who still check for updates about the game, it may not seem like another communication avenue is needed. But when the game comes closer to returning, who knows.
Old 04-03-2013, 11:38 AM
Wizardess

Teshuvah has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullfrogz View Post
Well a few reasons actually,

A lot of people prefer the reddit style of communication and have it integrated into their every day life. So it may just be a personal preference.

Rhialto posted there already and plans to keep doing so in the future (but on that we can only hope). He also asked we spread the word:

In the end, it doesn't hurt to have multiple areas and multiple ways to communicate about the game. Right now, with such a small number wyvern players who still check for updates about the game, it may not seem like another communication avenue is needed. But when the game comes closer to returning, who knows.
UGH... well just another reason to avoid it like the plague. Reddit is.. ugh...
Multiple ways to do the same thing.....
Start something when something already exists, waste of time and energy but that's the way it goes in the land of Wyvern.
Old 04-03-2013, 11:55 AM

Brionac has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Regardless.. R seems more comfortable posting updates there.
Old 04-03-2013, 11:59 AM
Wizardess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brionac View Post
Regardless.. R seems more comfortable posting updates there.
haha You don't understand. But I'm not going to waste my time explaining. Maybe Arilou will, he is good at that sort of thing.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:04 PM
Forum Admin

*steps up to say something [seemingly] very important* The player goes moo?
Old 04-03-2013, 12:04 PM

pruflas has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Old dogs, old tricks. Doesn't surprise me in the least that they are pessimistic about it.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:09 PM
Wizardess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arilou View Post
*steps up to say something [seemingly] very important* The player goes moo?
hahaha! I thought it was... Baaa....

Quote:
Originally Posted by pruflas View Post
Old dogs, old tricks. Doesn't surprise me in the least that they are pessimistic about it.
Yep, R is just doing the same old thing he always has.

For your sakes, I hope he follows through, but we've been down this road with him (I'll post updates here/by date) 9-10 times that I can count off the top of my head. So it's not something that in all honesty we'd take very seriously until something was actually done. We'd be dishonest to say otherwise. Only took him 2 years to get the game off the server by his own admission.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:29 PM

Any bit of light at this point is good light, sheesh.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:44 PM
Forum Admin

*burns Brionic's face off with a laser*
Old 04-03-2013, 01:02 PM

Alright, I laughed at that one.
Old 04-03-2013, 03:47 PM
Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teshuvah View Post
hahaha! I thought it was... Baaa....
Wait, isn't it a high pitched "Let's go!" followed by the sound of doors creaking open?

Edit: Scratch that, I don't know what I was thinking. It's clearly, "Oh no!" followed by the sound of an explosion. Like so -
Old 04-03-2013, 04:11 PM
Wizardess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arilou View Post
Wait, isn't it a high pitched "Let's go!" followed by the sound of doors creaking open?

Edit: Scratch that, I don't know what I was thinking. It's clearly, "Oh no!" followed by the sound of an explosion. Like so -
*laughs*wiping tears*

Come on, there is something inherently hilarious about a group of guys that probably have the most banished characters in total among themselves acting like they loved the game, as they go about ripping off graphics breaking copyright already *cough*choke*laugh*

Ok we really should behave....
Old 04-03-2013, 05:04 PM

You are correct about our banished characters Teshuvah, especially I can't deny you there. But I don't believe you can say that we don't love the game. I mean, would we still be here?

Although I can agree with you that it is hilarious.

Ironically some of the games most malicious players are also some of its most diehard.

Old 04-03-2013, 05:28 PM

pruflas has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

I can't speak for everyone, but I played by the rules for a very long time before I began to dabble in debauchery. What drove me there? Boredom mostly; I was a young kid looking to squeeze some more fun out of a game that (by wizard design) kept feeling more and more like a single player experience. At some point I just got so fed up with where the game was going; combine that with the boredom and my love for the game and still wanting to play, we got heavy handed into the exploits. Looking back I don't approve of what I did, but guess what, exploits or not it wasn't my mistakes that caused the bursting of the player-base bubble.

I, and Jeremiah, have had some recent correspondence with R about the game and what he says sounds very legitimate and promising. If it doesn't fall through, oh well, shame on us I guess; but we love the game we love what it has the potential to be, not the abortion it was turned into in the last few years. If R is serious and plans to work on it and get it back and running by fall, great! If not, well at least we had a couple months of hope and rehashing happy memories.

@Tesh saying "...as they go about ripping off graphics breaking copyright already..."

I have R's explicit approval to use these graphics and they belong to him. See below; thanks.

"Definitely grab a subreddit - that's a great idea. I'd love to be on there as a mod.

I got the game compiling today. Setting up the database later today. It's all local (non-cloud yet) and single-instance, but it's progress!

-steve"

I even requested his character sprite which he promptly sent to me yesterday...

I get that you guys are edit about the game going away as it did, seeing the fruits of your labors being "enjoyed" by a puddle of players compared to the relative monsoon that we had a few years before, but the least you could do is act like adults, bury the hatchet, and perhaps get excited that the game you love, I love, we love may actually be seeing new life.

That's all I have to say on the subject.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:19 PM

Odolf has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Pretty sure the adult thing to do when you disagree with someone is to turn the other cheek. If you can't say anything nice, etc. (:
Old 04-03-2013, 09:33 PM
Forum Admin

First of all, Pruflas, Teshuvah was referring not to using individual images, but taking a design that someone put together. I don't at all care as it doesn't make use of any images I created and it's just an updated version of Lego's design that was intended for use on cabochon.com when finished. Regardless, while technically you need actual permission to use game art (what you said did not give you free reign) I'm sure Rhialto doesn't mind people using things to represent the game in a fan capacity. However, I do think that by using the same name and image design as is used here you're going to run into problems with people thinking your ventures are an off-shoot of the official wyvern forums (I know people like to label it as unofficial because that was the case with pineapple's forum and it's not situated on the main site, but it is run by permanent staff members of the game so, really, it's pretty darn official). If that's what you want to do, I'm not going to ask you to stop because I truly don't care, but don't be surprised if someone laughs at the thought that someone in your group will abuse the situation by preying on the confusion of individuals down the road (let's just hope none of you get "bored").

Second of all, there is no hatchet to bury. I was frustrated with the situation and I've becoming skeptical as to whether the situation will truly improve, but I hold no ill will toward anyone (I understand Rhialto's reasons, I just wish he was more honest with himself so he could have been more honest with us). It may sound like that's not the case because my sarcastic brand of humor can come across as mean spirited, but try to remember that Teshuvah and I have been actively associated with the game for around a decade and even though we are no longer working on it, we haven't disappeared entirely on you guys like almost everyone else has. So, evidently we do care about the game, the work we did on it, and even the community (aka you guys). Otherwise we wouldn't have sacrificed so much to keep things going for so long, we wouldn't spend our time/money providing you with somewhere to gather for the last two years, and we wouldn't have given you our honest assessment of the situation (between the joking) all this time. So, really, I don't want to hear your sad sack nonsense. In-between our honest assessments we poke fun, we needle, but we're not the bad guys here.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:45 PM

The only thing that bothers me is when players come to this forum looking to help bring the game back or gather passion to do so, and they are reminded about their past. I understand I have broken rules, I think everyone knows at this point. I have also apologized and have accepted banishment of all characters involved and started new. When we come back and try and start new projects or new initiatives to get the game to come back, and all we end up hearing is about so and so event in the past, and how we actually don't care, it's just annoying and anymore just causes me to roll my eyes.

I understand that you guys have put a lot into keeping the community alive, and honestly it would of been dead if not for these forums. It just feels like when posting here trying to gather motivation or provide information for the players, you are met with a wall. None of us expect the wizards/moderators of this forum to help, but would appreciate it not feel like such a hostile environment to talk about new ideas or new news from Rhialto.

EDIT: And to explain what I mean about hostile environment, so it isn't misinterpreted: It feels like the players and the wizards are always on different teams. We both want the game to come back, for a mix of the same and different reasons. It would be wonderful if this forum served as a community where we could work together, and not have every post about the game dissolve into some comment on someone's past, and etc.

Last edited by Bullfrogz : 04-03-2013 at 09:49 PM.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:54 PM
Forum Admin

Again, my sarcastic humor may come off as mean spirited, but I don't really have anything against you guys. If you've taken it as such and wish for me to stop, you've always been welcome to send me a private message explaining such as I've always had a policy where I will stop poking fun of/including people in my jokes if they tell me it seriously bothers them and asks that I do so. Since nobody has been doing that and some of you even play along (Brionic, for example) I assumed that you guys didn't mind. Especially in your case as you've always been more too happy to pm about smaller issues.