Wyvern Forums

Review Wyvern Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Arcade
Go Back   Wyvern Forums > Archive > Wyvern Forums Archive > Wyvern Development
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chatbox Today's Posts

Wyvern Development Here you can discuss anything and everything involving creating your own content for Wyvern. Have a problem with an arch file or a map? Want to show off something you've been working on? If so this is the place for you.

Old 02-07-2011, 08:35 AM

Enerath has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Hammer Simple map making help

Just two things for now,

I've made my own art by cutting the wyvern images from monster and redoing it slightly. This is for my maps.
I've gotten the arch-file to work and got the image to show up in map maker. (Many thanks to Arilou and Teshuvah).

However when I put down the custom image monster it still has a background.
I've tried going into editing software and removing it but it still stays there.

And,
Would it be a "Zoo" if I put my special wyverns in cages in one area for viewing and then later on in a training spot where you encounter them?
You can't open levers and release the wyverns but you can find them later and fight them.
Does that make sense?
Old 02-08-2011, 08:22 AM

Odolf has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

I'm not 100% sure on the background because i'm not a spriter myself, but it sounds to me like your problem is that the background isn't transparent.

As for zoos, from the wiz manual: "A Zoo is any map that has a long hallway with gates on both sides, where you pull levers to release monsters from their cages. It doesn't have to be called a "zoo" in order to be a zoo. "

And later on: "If you can't kill the monsters in a zoo, and they're really just there for display, then it's probably OK. "

The wiz manual isn't the most up to date thing, but you have to submit your maps to a wiz before they're even tested anyway, so i'm sure they'll let you know if it isn't allowed.

Last edited by Odolf : 02-08-2011 at 08:25 AM.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:42 AM
Player Mod

Rarkvar has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

You need to download and install the GIMP program, or another similar program such as photoshop (Photoshop costs money, GIMP is free).

With gimp, when you make a new file, use 32x32 as the dimensions, and select background color and change it to Transparency.

You can edit a lot easier in GIMP as well, but you don't have to start over.
If you have GIMP, and it's opened, select file>open>yourmonster, so you open the file that you're going to use in your maps. I'm not sure how to change the background color from opening your file, but I know an easy solution.

With your image file opened, press ctrl+n, to make a new image (it won't close the file you opened), select 32x32 as the dimensions, and change the background color drop down bar to "Transparency". Press "ok", now go back to your image file, press ctrl+a (select all), then ctrl+c (copy), and go to the image file that you just created, and press ctrl+v (paste). No click on the Layer drop down bar on the top, select "create new layer", just make sure its the settings are still 32x32 and transparent (they should be), press "ok". Then Go back to the layer drop down bar, and select "Merge layer down".

Now you're where you need to be to delete the background color. Look at the toolbar window, (the panel with all of the different tool icons). You need the color selection, which looks like a verticle rectanle with the three colors, Red, blue, and green. Select the color selection tool, and click on whatever the background color is (like if the character is all blue, and the area around him that you want to delete is all white). Just click on the background color, and the color selection tool will select all of the colors in the image file that match the color you selected, and other ones that are very similar, just press the delete button on your keyboard.

The only problem with this is that the color selection tool will select all of the colors that match the one you selected. So if the background color is white, and the teeth on the wyvern are white, when you delete the background color, the teeth will be deleted as well. You can use the eraser to go around this, just make sure you completely erase the background color.

As far as your Zoo theory, you will want to confirm it with a wizard, but this is what I would do if I were you.

Just make the cage about 6x6 (if you're putting a 64x64 wyvern in there, {64x64 being 2x2 in game}), put the wyvern in there, right click it and for its orientation (I forgot what it's called), select "peaceful". You will have the choices of "Nuetral", "hostile", and "Peaceful". In the map properties you will have to change the setting so it doesn't allow any spells or summons in the map. That way players can't blink into the cage and kill the monsters. Or ask Arilou or Teshucah what the code is to put into the maps text file to only disable teleporting, rather than spells and summons all together. (To access the maps text file just go into wordpad or notepad and open the map file and put the code somewhere in there, I'm sure they will explain it if you ask and they answer).

As far as the zoo goes, if you cannot get into the cage to fight the enemies, then there shouldn't be a problem. Just watch how many enemies you have in one area, especially spellcasters. Best of luck.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:57 AM

Zeofar has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

First question: I'm not sure, but are you remembering to add transparency to the image?

Second, that isn't a zoo. For a zoo (not the official definitions, but the gist of them, since you've probably already seen the official ones), you must be able to fight the monsters with little risk even when fighting them should be risky, entirely on your own terms rather than that of the map, or be able to completely control access to monsters so that you can pick and choose which you fight. The last part is probably the most important characteristic of a zoo, as the first two would mostly matter when the map itself is what gives the abilities; seeing them in a cage isn't related. Supposing that those are intended to be the same individual monsters that you fight, be aware, though, it may be a little odd if you can kill creatures and see them again later in another map, so make sure you consider that.

Edit: Don't click "Submit Reply" 10 hours after you've written something
Old 03-17-2011, 07:53 PM

Enerath has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Question Ah hah.

Many thanks for the help.
I've gotten rid of the background with much needed help.
This forum account is completely untraceable *I beleive* to my wyvern accounts.
What I mean is *Normal* Players can't find my Wyvern account through this.
Which makes it perfectly okay *I beleive. Please correct me if I'm wrong*
to put the background info etc.
This is going to be a 1-? Years project so I can perfect it.
I may show photos.

You are walking along *World map* when you see an abandoned place/cave/etc (Whichever fits in best). You enter this mysterious area.
You go forwards into the ruins of what was once an undeveloped town.
*Meaning there IS a place to heal but no shops that you can buy items at. I beleive Wyvern has enough towns and needs more wild places.*
Upon entering the town you go into an abandoned building.
You enter and go downstairs.
*Basic run through now.*
You read a journal has notes of mad scientist etc.
You advance and see a *Stone* wyvern in a cage.
You cannot release this *Particular* wyvern however may fight others just like it. You cannot blink into it either.

Quick question.
I have a custom Arch-file for it.
Must I make the basic area submit it and if accepted add in the custom arch myself? * I beleive this is true but I'm just making sure*
And,
If I can't use the custom Arch can I use the Original Arch file for a normal wyvern and put it for my *Stone* wyvern?