Wyvern Forums

Review Wyvern Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Arcade
Go Back   Wyvern Forums > Archive > Wyvern Forums Archive > Wyvern Development
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chatbox Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Wyvern Development Here you can discuss anything and everything involving creating your own content for Wyvern. Have a problem with an arch file or a map? Want to show off something you've been working on? If so this is the place for you.

Old 12-09-2007, 11:16 PM
Forum Admin

Arilou has disabled reputation
Default Newspost (has nothing to do with Wyvern's eventual return)

As some of you may know I write ideas as I get them. Of course I hardly ever do anything about them, no matter if the game is online or not, but I got an idea for a newspost to an area I was once working on. So I wrote it out and, well, below is my finished product. I removed lines that give away what it's about as things I never finish get people excited and they bother me about it forever. Nevertheless, I think you can get the idea without it.

Quote:
From the disturbed mind that brought you the arena of Death and Chaos comes the next evolution in senseless murder...The <removed>. Located along the path to <removed>, is a multi-map <removed> of killing goodness. Should you risk this dangerous path you can reap new and detailed monster training areas that you will have all to yourself as your foes kill each other just outside those cold, dark walls. Are you brave enough to risk the madness and claim the long lost treasure of a dark evil before time runs out? Of course you aren't, look at the scrawny specimen I am conversing with. No matter, goblin food is not welcomed within...The <removed>, anyway.
Anywho, I'm not doing this to receive feedback, so don't feel obligated to reply. I just thought I would share something Wyvern related since you people have appeared extra depressed lately (that and Tesh wasn't around to bother). Also, just as a note, I imagine evil laughter after the last sentence, but that wouldn't be appropriate for a news post so I'm hoping the subject matter would bring people's imaginations to that on their own.
Old 12-09-2007, 11:28 PM

Bullfrogz has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Send a message via AIM to Bullfrogz Send a message via MSN to Bullfrogz

Is it a area you want to make? Because it really sounds like a LQ type event where we compete with each other to get some treasure. Sounds interesting though, madness is your specialty.

(Never found morgus yet in that no-quit area yet. Keep going back even though he's not there <.<)
Old 12-09-2007, 11:35 PM
Forum Admin

It's an area that I made a number of maps for and I suppose it sounding like a lq type thing is what I was going for. The original idea only included some vague idea of what I wanted the first sentence to be. Which is basically a knock off of promotions for thriller movies ("From the brave mind who brought you <insert movie> and <insert other movie> comes a something-something look into..." - you get the idea) and I liked it so much that I had to form it into a sentence and write the whole thing out. I don't know how it reads in your people's minds, but I'm getting over a cold right now so when I say it out loud it sounds so perfect.
Old 12-10-2007, 07:36 AM

Xae has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullfrogz View Post

(Never found morgus yet in that no-quit area yet. Keep going back even though he's not there <.<)
Now why would you wanna find that horrid beast.......
Old 12-11-2007, 12:37 PM
Forum Admin

Here's one of the maps for the area: http://www.wyvernrpg.com/images/secretproject.png As you can see I picked an unimportant one purposely so as not to reveal too much, but I wanted to show a map that displayed terrain flowing together with blackness. That is something I was just developing before the game went down and thus it didn't get much use in-game. Before, the trees closest to the blackness would've looked like square boxes and I think the simple change makes all the difference.
Old 12-11-2007, 04:25 PM

Logwad has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Send a message via AIM to Logwad Send a message via MSN to Logwad

That looks really nice Arilou, And you right, the soft edges make it look much better.
Old 12-11-2007, 04:30 PM

Linda has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

That screenshot wells up memories of the game . . . mm, such a good game.
Old 03-04-2016, 10:00 PM
Forum Admin

I'm currently being forced to go through my old posts looking for sources for something Teshuvah is making me do. While doing so I saw this. Anyway, I don't know if anyone remembered this thread well enough to get the connection, but what I was referencing was the PK Forest and here's the news post that came out of it...

Quote:
PK Forest & Applewood Farm
25-JUN-09

From the disturbed mind that brought you the arena of Death and Chaos comes the next evolution in senseless murder...The Player Killer Forest. Located along the path to Amita, for levels 8 and below, is a multi-map arena of killing goodness. Should you risk this dangerous path you can reap new and detailed monster training areas that you will have all to yourself as your foes kill each other just outside those cold, dark, dungeon walls.

Are you brave enough to risk the madness and claim the long lost treasure of a dark evil before time runs out? Of course you aren't, look at the scrawny specimen I am conversing with. No matter, for goblin food is not welcomed within...The Player Killer Forest. Which, by the way, comes complete with an interesting area by our newest wizard, Khalon, called Applewood Farm. Visit with the simple farmers, stop by the hot springs, or see what horrors lurk within the nearby forests...If you dare.
Interestingly, given Bullfrogz's comment, I did end up setting a LQ there, which I think was fun and would have been even more fun had the server been able to support more people. Here's that announcement...

Quote:
Upcoming Live Quest
19-AUG-09

Worshipers of the god, Sakragae, are sending out a call throughout the land for brave young adventurers interested in helping them collect strange magical gems from the player killer forest, south of Amita. In exchange for your services, they are willing to swap your gems with rare items and other valuables that they have found in their travels throughout New Verden and the surrounding areas.

By communing with their god, they have determined that the next appearance of these gems will be this upcoming Saturday at 6 PM Pacific Daylight Time. The phenomenon usually lasts between 30 and 45 minutes with gems randomly appearing every 5 minutes. However, be warned that there's likely to be competition from other adventurers who might try to increase their chances of collecting as many gems as possible, by stabbing you in the back. Fortunately, no xp can be lost within the pk forest, but it is recommended that you dust off your best level 8 or lower character and make sure you train and equip it as best you can before the event.

At the moment, the worshipers believe that future events will happen about once a month or so and as soon as they find out when one is coming, they will announce it on a soon to be released section of the website for scheduled game events (keep an eye on the news for more information about this upcoming website feature). However, the nature of these gems is mysterious and so, for how long they will keep appearing at a regular frequency and how long the worshipers will be able to determine when the phenomenon is going it occur, is anyone's guess. Therefore, in a few months it may be found that players only have brief moments notice to prepare themselves or that the gems have stopped appearing altogether. As such, we suggest you take part in the fun while you can!
The next step would have been to automate it so it could be added to the auto-lq list.

Anyway, overall, it was a bit of a proof of concept. The area needed more places to train in (I was hoping wizards wanting to make low level areas would want to put their areas there in future, as I convinced Khalon to do) and it needed a some coded features. For example, I wanted players to be unable to escape through a teleporter to a non-pk map if they had been in combat with someone within the last five seconds.

After I got all of that worked out I wanted to work on a mid to high level variant. In that case, there would be a more linear progression through the pk area. The further you go, the more high level content becomes available. And, of course, there would have been a gem collection LQ with higher level awards that came with it.

Obviously, these areas were conceived with the idea that they would work best when lots of people were playing at once as you need a whole lot of people online before the griefer aspect of their design came into play. In the case of the mid to high level variant imagine how annoying it would be to progress through fifty mountain valley maps, dodging annoying people trying to kill you just to reach the map that contains the entrance to the dungeon that has that unique item reward that you want only to be killed, and thus sent back all the way to the beginning, by someone laying in wait to kill people who passes by for his/her own amusement.

I was even planning to bring that element to traditional areas like Alaria. As with Amita there would have been different paths that you could take to get to the same location in the redo. Only, along the fastest path to a desired commodity, there would be a map where pk was enabled. You could try to pass, hoping that some high level player wasn't bored enough to sit there waiting to kill anyone who came along. Alternatively, you could use the much safer, but also much longer path.

Mix in some way to increase the incentive to PK without leaving the door open to friends letting friends kill their alts over and over and I think there would have been some oh so sweet screaming about the level 28 Naga making life difficult for mid-level players trying to train in Alaria.

Edit: Oh and I thought that would be fun for dungeons too. You're on your way to beat Morgos and you come upon a pk enabled map. You better hope you trust everyone in your group because this would be the opportune time for someone to either get his revenge for something that happened before or to have some laughs for no reason whatsoever. Also, do you have people trying to follow behind you? Here would be a good place to fight them off before they mess things up for you later or to leave behind a guard to ward off stragglers. Why would you do that exactly? Because right after this pk map the dungeon splits into different paths leading to different mini bosses and the last thing you need is someone stealing a key from one of those paths before your group can get to it.

By the way, in case you're wondering; "Can't I just leave someone in the subsequent map which serves as a hub for those mini boss paths and let the claiming system do its thing? Don't be silly. That's an empty no claimable map, of course. I'm not new here, you know.

See, aren't you happy I'm retired? Who else would design a six hour dungeon with the idea that other players coming in and potentially screwing things up for you would be part of the challenge to obtain the desired award? However, can't you just close your eyes and perfectly imagine all the screaming from people who thought it was an unintended consequence? Not to mention their reaction when, for the millionth time some fed up wizard told them it was a feature, not a bug. If that doesn't bring a smile to your face, I don't know what will.