Wyvern Forums

Review Wyvern Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Arcade
Go Back   Wyvern Forums > Archive > Wyvern Forums Archive > Wyvern Development
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chatbox Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Wyvern Development Here you can discuss anything and everything involving creating your own content for Wyvern. Have a problem with an arch file or a map? Want to show off something you've been working on? If so this is the place for you.

Old 04-20-2009, 01:49 PM

Bitsey has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Default prospects for becomming a wiz

Hello-

This is mostly a question for the active wizards in the game, as no one else would know the answer....

Before I invest the effort in making maps, I have a few questions about the odds of success. How many submission (serious) submissions do you get? Do you generally provide feedback? How many succeed and make it into the game? If you are granted wizard status and put your spiffy new area into the game, what's the time commitment after that?

thanks!

-bitsey
Old 04-20-2009, 02:26 PM
Wizardess

Teshuvah has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitsey View Post
Hello-

This is mostly a question for the active wizards in the game, as no one else would know the answer....

Before I invest the effort in making maps, I have a few questions about the odds of success. How many submission (serious) submissions do you get? Do you generally provide feedback? How many succeed and make it into the game? If you are granted wizard status and put your spiffy new area into the game, what's the time commitment after that?

thanks!

-bitsey
We get very few serious submissions. Once they look at the requirements (40 maps minimum, age 16 etc, good reputation , follow the map guidelines in the manuals etc) most decide it's too much work.

Yes, feedback is exactly what we do. You will either be told :
Don't bother, this idea is really bad.
or
This is good.. "change this, this , this and this".

The time commitment, after your area is in, bug tested and all running properly, is totally up to you.

Be aware that being promoted to Jr wizard is the first step. Then the real work on your maps begin as they are tested online etc. That is usually a longer time commitment than the initial making of maps and there is a large learning curve then. When your area goes live, you are promoted to Wizard.
For some this is weeks, for some months.

But after that, after it goes live and players have played it a while to test even more and you are reasonably sure it's bug free, we want you to log in regularly to check bug logs for problems and update anything as map guidelines change. But other than that, it's totally up to you and your schedule how much time you spend.

Hope that Helps.
Old 06-07-2009, 06:34 PM

Lanterra has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

I'm curious. If a person makes a bunch of maps and becomes a wizard, do they get to choose where in wyvern those maps are placed, or is it decided by other wizards?
Old 06-07-2009, 07:18 PM
Wizardess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanterra View Post
I'm curious. If a person makes a bunch of maps and becomes a wizard, do they get to choose where in wyvern those maps are placed, or is it decided by other wizards?
Both, The wizard usually has ideas where he or she would like their area to go. As long as that does not conflict with other game plans/history and it makes sense that's fine.
Often times more experienced wizards will offer ideas for them to pick from as well.
Old 06-07-2009, 07:35 PM
Forum Admin

Arilou has disabled reputation

Quote:
Ultimately it is up to the wizard who created an area to decide where they want to put it, but (of course) sometimes a location they have in mind has to be rejected. It's usually good when a wizard has a strong idea for where they want an area to go as they can tie the plot into the surrounding area and have the surrounding area mesh with their area. However, wizards quite often help other wizards find a suitable location by making suggestions.
Old 06-07-2009, 09:02 PM

My thanks to the both of you for answering that question. I've been wondering for years and never actually asked.
Old 06-08-2009, 11:06 AM
Forum Admin

Binyamin has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Now let me toss my twisted six-pence in.

What are we looking for? Something new. Something different. Something that makes us say, "Wow, I wish I'd thought of that!"

What we don't want: Zoos. A dungeon crawl that might as well be another RD. Something that's been done to death -- ie, dragon caves.

Perhaps something along the lines of ancient India? Or the Aztecs? Mayans? Easter Island monoliths? But of course, it has to have a back story that will mesh with Wyvern.

Ancient China? The "Great Wall of Wyvern?" But why would that particular area have this huge wall across the lands?

See, it's not just a set of maps. It's also a story.

What's the story in Toys in the Attic? Pure, unadulterated insanity. Your innocent childhood toys becoming your darkest nightmares.

And don't just think maps. We're always looking for fresh talent in the art department, too. Something to keep our current art Wizzies on their toes. Something we can point to and say, "Arisu, see? You can be replaced." (Although, you'd have to be pretty dang good to knock down the reigning art Queen...)
Old 06-08-2009, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binyamin View Post
And don't just think maps. We're always looking for fresh talent in the art department, too. Something to keep our current art Wizzies on their toes. Something we can point to and say, "Arisu, see? You can be replaced." (Although, you'd have to be pretty dang good to knock down the reigning art Queen...)
While it would be awesome to make better art than Arisu, my artist talents are lacking in that department. I can tell a good story and fit things together, but when it comes to putting together pixels to make a picture I'm left floundering.
Old 06-08-2009, 01:39 PM
Wizardess

Quote:
While it would be awesome to make better art than Arisu, my artist talents are lacking in that department. I can tell a good story and fit things together, but when it comes to putting together pixels to make a picture I'm left floundering.
lol so are the rest of us! That was just a list of things to spice up your area, you dont need to do them all lol

But making sense and a story are important.
Old 06-09-2009, 05:38 PM

Taren has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

This and some other posts are getting me more encouraged to try to make maps for Wyvern. Yes, I am over 16 years old. I'm acutally 21...
Old 06-09-2009, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taren View Post
This and some other posts are getting me more encouraged to try to make maps for Wyvern. Yes, I am over 16 years old. I'm acutally 21...
Well cheers to that!
Old 06-11-2009, 05:41 PM
Forum Mod

Cinaeth has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Just a quick aside from a sort of Inactive Wizard. I used to spend quite some tme developing a back-story before I even set mouse cursor to the Map Editor. I agree with everything the Elder Wizards have said on here, vis a vis; It has to make sense in the scheme of things that is Wyvern.

As to time; well that is up to you. As mentioned weeks is normal, months is not unknown. There was a lot of testing done by both Teshuvah and Arilou before any of my areas went on-line and believe me, they are both very strict. If you would heed my advise, and if you are serious about becoming a wizard, then take the time to make well thought out maps, with a well thought out story and then request that someone take a look. If you have done all of your homework, and crossed all (or most) of your "tees" and dotted all (or most) of your "eyes" and you meet the other requirements, there is a possibility you may be promoted.

Good Luck

Cinaeth the Confused
Old 06-11-2009, 07:53 PM
Wizardess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinaeth View Post
Just a quick aside from a sort of Inactive Wizard. I used to spend quite some tme developing a back-story before I even set mouse cursor to the Map Editor. I agree with everything the Elder Wizards have said on here, vis a vis; It has to make sense in the scheme of things that is Wyvern.

As to time; well that is up to you. As mentioned weeks is normal, months is not unknown. There was a lot of testing done by both Teshuvah and Arilou before any of my areas went on-line and believe me, they are both very strict. If you would heed my advise, and if you are serious about becoming a wizard, then take the time to make well thought out maps, with a well thought out story and then request that someone take a look. If you have done all of your homework, and crossed all (or most) of your "tees" and dotted all (or most) of your "eyes" and you meet the other requirements, there is a possibility you may be promoted.

Good Luck

Cinaeth the Confused
Hey! Get back in here you! You're missed!
Old 06-13-2009, 11:10 PM
Player Mod

Jacksparow has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

I've had one major question about the map editor since I've started using it. But I've always felt too stupid to ask. What does the poulator thing do in the special folder?
Old 06-13-2009, 11:30 PM
Forum Admin

Arilou has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard View Post
I've had one major question about the map editor since I've started using it. But I've always felt too stupid to ask. What does the poulator thing do in the special folder?
It spawns monsters around it that range in difficulty based on the map's danger-level.