Wyvern Forums

Review Wyvern Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Arcade
Go Back   Wyvern Forums > Archive > Wyverneers Archive > General
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chatbox Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General All around wyvern-related chat

Old 04-24-2007, 05:24 AM
Forum Admin

Arilou has disabled reputation
Exclamation Official Updates

The Wizard Contrare did a great deal of work weeding through many posts to put together this for you. I am thankful, and posting it for you.
Official updates will only be posted here for those who don't have the time to find the ones quickly buried in nonsense.
So here is one post, that is a compilation of them all.
Any others will be posted subsequently here.

Tesh

---------------
Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:08 pm Post subject: Wyvern is gonna be down

rhialto [ooc] shouts: greetings, all!
rhialto [ooc] shouts: I have good news and bad news.
rhialto [ooc] shouts: good news is: I'm going to be making some upgrades that should help with performance.
rhialto [ooc] shouts: bad news is, the server will be down for a few days.
rhialto [ooc] shouts: website too.
rhialto [ooc] shouts: all you'll have is the player forums for a while
rhialto [ooc] shouts: I'm upgrading the OS (it's like 7 years old), and the databse (it's like 5 years old), etc.
Town Crier shouts: The game will be rebooted in 5 minutes.
Please save and quit, and try back in a few minutes.
rhialto [ooc] shouts: a week or less
rhialto [ooc] shouts: hopefully only a few days
rhialto [ooc] shouts: if one or more of you would be kind enough to post on the forums about this for me... arilou will be in the forums later, I imagine.
rhialto [ooc] shouts: thanks!
Town Crier shouts: rhialto has cancelled the shutdown.
Town Crier shouts: The game will be rebooted in 1 minute.
Please save and quit, and try back in a few minutes.
rhialto [ooc] shouts: my ISP is coming, alas! I have to take the server now.
rhialto [ooc] shouts: see you all next week! I'll do my best to hurry.
rhialto [ooc] shouts: have a good weekend!
Town Crier shouts: System is going down NOW!

------------------------
Posted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:20 pm Post subject:
Per Arilou:

Wyvern's website should be back up some time this week. If it's not I'll email Rhialto again to see what's going on, but the last I heard he was trying to install a proper firewall that would work the way he wanted. Security isn't his forte, so it's taking awhile longer than it should, but he cannot bring the game back up until he knows it's secure from hackers.

---------------------------
Posted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:40 am Post subject:
Per Teshuvah:
We just heard from Rhialto. He found many more problems with the OS upgrade then he expected and is still working on it. But it's coming along he said.
We will let you know anymore as we hear it.

--------------------
Posted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 1:43 pm Post subject:
Per Teshuvah:
Latest word from Rhialto:
Quote:
It's looking like it won't be back until January at this point. Harsh, but it's that or lose my job. The webserver will be back up either tomorrow or sometime next week, though, so at least there will be news.
Endquote.

---------------------
Posted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:03 am Post subject:
Per Arilou:
Fredd, Fredd, Fredd, Fredd. You are as confusing as you are confused. There were never any problems getting emails FROM cabochon.com, there were problems sending email TO cabochon.com. If Rhialto wanted to allow you to bother him he would've fixed it one way or another. Instead he needed a filter which is the wizards. You pester us with your nonsense, we decide what is important enough for him to hear, and we email him. Rhialto does not have time to go through hundreds to thousands of nonsense emails and frankly no normal person does so I fail to see how not getting a reply to your question about when marilith nagas will come out will hurt exposure. Only the games with the smallest of playerbases have time to reply to all of your nonsense. That said the website should eventually be updated with information telling players where to go for help instead of using that email and Rhialto has suggested something in the past which would make that sort of thing easier.

Also, Rhialto has had problems with this ISP which resulted in the game being unnecessarily offline in the past and for that reason alone he has threatened to find a new one. However, as of right now when the game comes up it will be with the same old ISP. At a later date he may go with another one or he may even change his mind and find one while he's working on the server. However, since I've seen players claim him switching ISPs is the reason for the downtime I would simply like to mention that signing with a new provider and driving over to a new place takes hours at the most, not days, weeks, or months.

Anyway, once again you're just rambling about things far too complicated for your tiny little head, Fredd. In addition to the above, Rhialto cares for the game very much and has big plans for it's future. However, his job at google is far more demanding than his job at amazon was and he is now married which constricts his time. In the end his job comes first as without it he would have no money to host the server and frankly if you don't understand why a job (and family) comes before a hobby I pity you. As far as you expecting him to post here, no. He doesn't read the forums, he doesn't come to the forums, he no intention of ever doing so, and he hardly even knows they exist. If you want news directly from Rhialto's mouth you will have to wait until he gets the website up. Until then, everything we tell you is as clear as the information he has given us (Teshuvah even copied one email for you word for word). So, I fail to see what your problem is. The website will be up when it's up (he's been saying this week or the next for awhile) and the same with the game. Again, he's busy working on the game as much as he can in his free time and all of this is will be the betterment of the game in the long run. Right now, though, you people need to get lives or find other games to amuse yourselves with because the forum lurking is a little pathetic. Especially when you start making things up in your heads that have no basis in reality to explain your frustations.

-------------------
Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:12 am Post subject:
Per Arilou:
The last update stated that Rhialto was shooting for having it up this year. If that's not the case by January 1st, you can ask for another update. Not before.

------------------
Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 4:00 am Post subject:
Per Arilou:
We said no such thing. All that was said is that Rhialto is shooting to have it back up this year, but one cannot predict these things absolutely. So, if it's not up by Janurary 1st I will attempt to let you know where the situation stands. You guys warp every statement I make, it's almost as if you don't bother reading every word of one's sentences.

---------------------
Posted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:32 am Post subject:
Per Arilou:
Here's the latest quote from Rhialto.
Quote:
I have an obligation to get my computer game, Wyvern, back online: an obligation to some 50,000 players (out of 250,000 who've tried the game) that I dursn't easily turn my back on. Plus I have some pretty cool stuff in store there, for you Wyverneers who may be listening. Once I get this Google project reasonably secured, that is.

The context of the quote is basically that he's been busy between his job at Google and working on Wyvern to do much else. The second sentence means that he's still going to get the game up as soon as possible, but once he's done with his current project at Google he will start introducing some things that he thinks will amaze you. To be clear, since I know some of you people have a problem with basic English even though you've spoken it all your life, that does not mean that he cannot get the game up until he's done with his Google project. It simply means that he plans to make further advancements to the game (which can be done with the server online) after he's done with the other thing that is taking up a good deal of his time.

The hope to get the game up by the end of the year remains the same until you are told otherwise. This post is not meant to change that, simply to remind you all that he's hard at work and to give you a little teaser about Wyvern's future since updates have been poor in the past. If you still do not understand something, please ask instead of making assumptions and passing them off as fact. I know this time is difficult on some of you, but that is no excuse for irrational behavior. Be patient and it will all be worth it in the end.

------------------------------------
Posted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 7:12 pm Post subject:
Per Arilou:
Shreddy wrote:
Wyvern promised to be back by January

No such promise was ever made

-----------------------------
Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:55 pm

"I finally located a new ISP yesterday. I've been -very- reticent to put the game
back online until I had a trustworthy one, since my old/current ISP has been getting
gradually flakier (and has consistently overcharged me by 50% or more each month).
This new guy is in the same data center in downtown Seattle, but he also happens to
live across the street. I checked him out thoroughly and he's solid, so I'll be moving
the game server back downtown this week.

It'll probably take a few days of testing before I'm confident that my firewall is
reasonably secure. And I need a few days to run through basic tests of the game
server, since I made a bunch of really fundamental changes to the database in order
to support future web-based clients.

My guess is that I should have things back up by the end of the month, and all will
be back to normal. Well, hopefully. There -will- be bugs and stuff, but I'll try to fix
'em as people report them.

None of the game data has changed in any way - the player data, maps, areas, etc.
are all unchanged from when the server went down, so the game should be able to
continue normally."

R
Old 05-18-2007, 06:16 PM
Forum Admin

This is just a blurb which repeats what wizards have been telling players asking for updates lately:

Rhialto is still working on the game (mostly on the weekends) to get it back online. However, there will be no more estimates since they are largely inaccurate when it comes to game development in general. In fact, if Rhialto should give us one we will withhold that information from you in future updates.

Also, in this blurb you will not receive information as to why it remains down as I believe Rhialto's last update covered that, (obviously something went wrong that requires he take more time to work on the things mentioned there) but I want to state that there is no chance that the game will not return, rather it's just a matter of time. The reason for this is that Rhialto is one person with a very demanding job and the problems with the game have gone unchecked for many years (no you cannot help him in any way shape or form). Because of this we recommend you do not hang around waiting for the game to return, but rather go about your life. When the game comes back online everyone with an account on Pollux's forum will receive an email on the email account that they have listed for their forum account. So, as long as you check your email regularly you can do other things and still not miss much.

We appreciate your dedication to the game which we, the staff, have worked so hard to develop over the years and we want you to know that this downtime will be for the betterment of the game in the end. So hopefully when all is said and done you will be able to get more enjoyment out of it than you did under the old broken down system.
Old 05-21-2007, 12:07 AM
Forum Admin

This is an update for wizards only: Rhialto sent us (Teshuvah, Legolas, and myself) an update which he wishes for us to share with wizards only. It's important that if you're lurking you get in contact with us so you can see it and give your feedback. I have emailed a number of you at the email addresses you provided for your forum accounts, so check those accounts if you do not do so more often than you come here. If you have gotten nothing email me if you know my email address or send me a private message and stick around as I will get back to you as soon as possible.

If you don't already have an account with your username and you've been lurking all this time you will get the third degree so as to assure you are who you say you are and a player didn't get the idea to make an account with your name which btw will result in an instant ip banishment from all forums and the game for that player. This last line is not meant to discourage wizards from contacting me, but rather players who have no good sense as I have seen all the tricks and know one of you will be THAT stupid.
Old 12-18-2007, 12:48 AM
Forum Admin

From now on there's going to be a new rule. You are not to go around telling players that you believe that the game is coming back by/on so-and-so (you can still make guesses on that one particular thread though). I don't care if you think you have factual information or if you're just a troll trying to stir up trouble. It stops now.

Teshuvah and I have been conversing with Rhialto back and forth lately and we are very much aware of his new plans. However, we are withholding these plans from you because it is just talk. Just like it was just talk when he said the game should be back by the end of March, when he said he'd get it back in 2-4 weeks after he first removed the server, and when he really thought he could start working on it again in January and have it up soon after. I do not want you people going around getting people's hopes up unnecessarily just so you people can go back to lurking on the forums for hours on end, while doing nothing but waiting for the game to come up, only to be rewarded by finding out something happen which resulted in Rhialto taking longer to get the game back up than he previously hoped/expected.

Instead, you are going to need to trust us to give you information when we feel there is something solid to tell you. When we see progress being made instead of just talking about it, we will let you know. We will also be absolutely be sure to contact you through the mass email feature of the forum when the game returns. That could happen this month, it could happen next month, or it could happen six months of now. All I can tell you at this point is that I am sure Rhialto is still committed to bringing the game back and he will eventually do it. But I cannot, at this time, give you any guarantees and players trying to pretend like they can give you one will have their posts deleted and they will not be popular with myself or the other wizards.

Also, try to trust that we have your best interests at heart and are doing our best here. We have gone of our way thus far to make sure you have a place to talk while the game is down in a friendly environment (which led to lots of time spent moderating these things, especially back when spam bots could make accounts here) and to make sure that you knew that Rhialto had not abandoned the game. In response a number of you have been very disrespectful and rude to the point where you've crossed a line, while seeming only to care about yourselves and not at all caring what we have done to provide every little thing we could for you over here. In the past I've taken a passive approach to this and that's going to stop as well. I don't expect you to be cheerful that the game is down, but there's no reason for you to act the way some of you have been. We don't need to be here and we certainly don't need to pay money out of our pockets so you can be here. All I ask is you try to understand that when interacting with us in the future or you're quickly going to lose the kind of access to the wizards that you have enjoyed for so many years. You also may lose your own access to the forums if you take it too far and if you do something really awful, it will affect your account(s) in the game. Keep that in mind.
Old 12-26-2007, 11:21 PM
Forum Admin

The webpage (www.cabochon.com) is back up. The game is not and I have no comment as to when it will be back up so do not ask.
Old 12-27-2007, 05:10 AM
Forum Admin

Fyi, Rhialto may login under actual player accounts to test things during this time. He has done it twice already and may or may not login to a few more before this done. So if you notice that an account is online and it belongs to you, a friend of yours, or (more likely) is just some random name do not be alarmed. It's just Rhialto using a player's account to test something.
Old 12-27-2007, 09:43 AM
Forum Admin

You can now login to game. Don't go crazy and please report any all bugs you find using the bug command.
Old 12-27-2007, 08:58 PM
Wizardess

Teshuvah has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Default Short Downtime

The game was taken down by Rhialto to work on the server problem with new creation of characters and other character problems. He estimated the down time to be 30-90 minutes.

T
Old 12-28-2007, 10:56 AM
Wizardess

Teshuvah has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

I told a few that I would let you know when Rhialto fixed the ability to create and log on with new characters. He says he has done so. If you have any problems either use the bug command ingame, use ingame mail or leave me a pm here (only if you dont have other characters)

T