Wyvern Forums

Review Wyvern Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Arcade
Go Back   Wyvern Forums > Archive > Wyvern Forums Archive > Wyvern Development
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chatbox Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Wyvern Development Here you can discuss anything and everything involving creating your own content for Wyvern. Have a problem with an arch file or a map? Want to show off something you've been working on? If so this is the place for you.

Old 11-01-2010, 08:04 AM
Wizardess

Teshuvah has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

I just want to add that this topic is old and the changes already were done months ago.
So what the wizards thought needed addressed already was.
Doesn't mean there won't be other changes in the years to come, of course, this is Wyvern.
Old 11-01-2010, 08:54 AM
Player Mod

Jacksparow has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Aye Semper Gumby (Always Flexible)

edit: corrected spelling.

Last edited by Jacksparow : 11-01-2010 at 09:54 AM.
Old 11-01-2010, 09:20 AM

Trayr is trapped in an Inn behind a dozen clones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard View Post
Aye Semper Gumby (Always Flexable)
What does flexable mean? Is that Latin too?

Last edited by Trayr : 11-01-2010 at 09:23 AM.
Old 11-01-2010, 09:54 AM
Player Mod

Jacksparow has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

In a nutshell it means always remain able to adjust.
Old 11-01-2010, 10:57 AM

Fergy has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Off-topic:
He was making fun of your spelling of flexible, not asking for the definition.

On-topic:
Tesh, what about my suggestion of reordering the skills conjurer's already earn (to make it 2 skill points each guild lvl)?

Blackbeard, I think a more effective argument could be made if you compare rangers to mages (since both can lvl off from magic whip). (assuming the characters are going to use mana shield)

Mages:
-5 whips
+10 meditation
+x% Mana bonus (can't remember and server is down)

Net gain: 5 skill points & X% mana

Conjurers:
- 5 enchant
- 5 evocation
- 5 incantation
+ 5 Whips
+5 Death
+5 air
+5 meditation
- cloak (assume -10 dodge)
+ y% Mana Bonus

= (remove skill points to make up for -10 dodge, death and meditation are both usually trained above lv 5 but not trained to max. I will remove those.)

-5 enchant (will probably train over negative to use enchantments)
-5 evocation (should not use. . .)
-5 incantation (will be missed, but probably not retrained)
+ 5 whips
+ 5 air (Not much of a bonus, it provides longer magic whips, maybe better enchantments if the conjurer goes that route.)
+y% Mana bonus (less than mages)

Net gain: 0 to +5 skill points, +y% mana bonus. The mana bonus is also less than mages.

Not much incentive to use conjurers guild over mages guild for mana shielding whipper... (this ignores that Mages guild gets a staff that gives +2 death, and rangers get non-bungle resist armor)
Old 11-01-2010, 12:32 PM
Wizardess

Quote:
In a nutshell it means always remain able to adjust.
haha but unable to spell even when edited for typos
Old 11-01-2010, 12:33 PM

Exile has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Rogue's Guild - I find this under par with most guilds too
30% HP bonus (lower then Ranger's, but allowed all armour slots)
Makes up for HP with 10 dodge
has no incantation negative making it easier to use healing spells
The 10 dodge makes up for not being able to wear a shield. The healing spells is still off, as you get -5 life magic and you really don't want to use healing spells without the shortest timer which would require you to train 15 life magic.

Quote:
Now for The finisher. My opinion on what should be changed given these aspects of the game.
HP bonus could be tweaked to being up to 60% bonus (A small thing, but still makes it lower then most. debatable)
+5 healing (odds)
+10 Dodge (for both whipsman, and conjurer to make up for lack of cloak [see monk])
+5 strength (even)

Those bonuses some may think make it overpowered, but comparing it side by side to the axemen's guild even with my inputted bonuses make it slightly worse with the lack of 5 FW (but it has 10% more HP to make up for that).
I like this part of it, even though Axeman seem to have really taken a big hit from the -10 axes from the guild. Even so, I don't think the changes they already made to the rangers guild were really that effective, they seemed to balance it, but still no one is all like, "Lets make a ranger now!".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergy
Not much incentive to use conjurers guild over mages guild for mana shielding whipper... (this ignores that Mages guild gets a staff that gives +2 death, and rangers get non-bungle resist armor)
You get 10 more whips in conjurers than as a mage since they get -5. You also get +5 death magic, compared to 0. That's incentive enough for me. Also, the mages guild gives 50% to sp, and conjurers gives 40%, which isn't a very large difference.
Old 11-01-2010, 12:34 PM
Wizardess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergy View Post
On-topic:
Tesh, what about my suggestion of reordering the skills conjurer's already earn (to make it 2 skill points each guild lvl)?
It is generally purposely done that way to make it so you don't get something "wonderful" every level. Major skills one level, secondary/minor the next etc.
And honestly it depends on your build thinking if those are important or not.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:18 PM

Burba has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

I haven't played in a while, but I stopped by to see what's happening with Wyvern and saw a thread on rangers, so I thought I'd say something. Obviously I'm not going to criticize the balance since I haven't played the game in the current state, but I played a couple high level rangers so I thought I might make a few comments. Forgive me if it's more indulgence than useful.

Personally, I found the whipster to be a very viable build. Most people that I talked to seemed negative toward it in favor of playing a conjurer for the sp and buffs. My argument was always that you could get everything you need from equipment and items. Not splitting skill points trying to make a spellcaster/melee hybrid really made a more robust build. I'd like to think it could do a lot of damage as well, with all of those points I put into death magic. It'd be pretty lousy to think that I made a character that trained 28 death just so an axeman could buy a better weapon.

Anyway, the main advantage I saw with playing a ranger is damage type. A magic whip with a flame blade scroll could go through xipes, armored titans, and reapers easily. Cycling through weapons was impractical because of curse, but even that was easier with magic whip since you could cast another one incase something immune to fire shows up. Of course that would cost a flameblade scroll which makes it a bit impractical, but not as bad as otherwise. On the other side of the coin, most boss monsters were pretty much immune to any sort of damage type a ranger could do.

The main weakness during the days of heal spamming was, of course, survivability. I have no idea what it's like now, but back then, a bit of bad luck (or lag) could easily mean death. And, of course, I didn't even bother with most of the LQs.

From what I've read, the main change that seems like it would hurt my old whipster build is with resists. He used a skull shield, so fear might not be a big issue, but if a free action potion isn't enough and unicorn horns aren't viable, it would be a nightmare to play, at least if there are the same amount of creatures (practically all of them) that cast confuse, paralyze, and slow. This is probably intended to promote grouping or something, I guess.

To conclude, I think that in regards to the place of the Rangers Guild among other guilds, rangers (or at least whippers) should focus on doing unique melee damage. Rangers use a unique type of weapon, so why not expand on it? Personally, I think it would be cool to cast a magic whip or blade spell or buy a whip that has a chance to paralyze the opponent or maybe poison or fear or something like that. Also, and this may be the case now, but more areas that benefit from using a certain damage type would favor the ranger's selection of whips and blade spells with magic whip.