Wyvern Forums

Review Wyvern Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Arcade
Go Back   Wyvern Forums > Archive > Wyvern Forums Archive > Wyvern Development
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chatbox Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Wyvern Development Here you can discuss anything and everything involving creating your own content for Wyvern. Have a problem with an arch file or a map? Want to show off something you've been working on? If so this is the place for you.

Old 04-24-2008, 11:57 AM

drewskee has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Default idea for map

I was wondering whether a wizard could let me know if this an acceptable idea or not. I am thinking of a sort of "elemental" town, in which most of the creatures are fire elementals or something along that line. I sent in one map a long time ago that involved an entire town, but it had many different races and so it got shut down (apparently towns should have a common theme). So my question is, will you wizards even review and evaluate this map? Or is there something against a purely elemental town? Thank you.
-Drew
Old 04-24-2008, 04:42 PM
Wizardess

Teshuvah has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Why are elementals living in a town is my first question.

Tesh
Old 04-24-2008, 04:46 PM

Crier has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Send a message via AIM to Crier

Well, of course because the elementals get an early bird discount at the Denny's.

Jeez Tesh, your a wizzie, you should know that.
"Big Brother in the form of an increasingly powerful government and in an increasingly powerful private sector will pile the records high with reasons why privacy should give way to national security, to law and order [...] and the like." - Justice William O. Douglas

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security would deserve neither and lose both." -Benjamin Franklin
Old 04-24-2008, 05:17 PM

Well perhaps they were tired of having to live in random dungeons all over the wyven world and so they decided to pack up and move on over to the new town . Does it really have to make complete sense? There are plenty of things in wyvern that don't but aren't questioned. Anyway, I appreciate that you responded to the thread, and if the wizards feel that I need to include background information before creating the town I suppose I could do so.
Old 04-24-2008, 05:52 PM
Player Mod

Clubbz has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

It's not the general idea thats the problem its the way you're putting it. In order to be able to give a decent story to it(believe it or not it should make some sense), you should change what you want in the town. Rather than having Fire elementals, have a group of elementally adept or attuned creatures(or whatever element you wanted). This leaves the inhabitants of the town open to be numerous things, it could be magically gifted humans in certain elements, it could be an entirely new creature, but using a Fire elemental makes no sense because of the way they are in wyvern.
Old 04-24-2008, 05:52 PM

Jessikha has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

You could either make it into a quest area, mini quest area, or a concept area. Either way, as long as you explain the history in some way to the player, I think the wizards would at least consider it.
Old 04-24-2008, 06:08 PM
Forum Admin

Arilou has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewskee View Post
Does it really have to make complete sense?
Yes, it does. Before making areas do your homework and learn about the monsters you want to use in them. Once you do you will find out how silly the idea of an elemental town is. Although one would hope that would be common sense.

Quote:
There are plenty of things in wyvern that don't but aren't questioned.
Wyvern doesn't aim to be pure fantasy. It's meant to a quirky game with a fantasy base. As such you may happen upon things that seem out of character, but they are always off to the side and they are always well crafted ideas (a fire elemental town is not such an idea). However, for every such area there are quite a few more "straight" areas that are set in that fantasy base and must make sense within a fantasy world. When a player wanders to a medieval town filled with anything they will consider it a straight area and so it will look stupid to see it filled with acid blobs, elementals, golems, etc., who call the town their home. This is not the case when one wanders into one of the areas you may be thinking of - Players generally get that they are meant to be wacky places and do not take them seriously, but at the same time they remain plausable given the magical nature of the world.

Someone who properly does their research would be able to balance between quirky and silly and so they are able to create extremely original and creative content...Being a successful mapmaker requires a lot of time and energy and isn't just a means to becoming a wizard by slapping together a bunch of maps and calling them an area. If you really want to become a wizard by making maps you need to be an extremely creative and intelligent individual with a detailed understanding of the source material. So, you have to think long and hard on the matter and be sure you are the type of person who is able and willing to do this kind of work otherwise you will be wasting your time.

Quote:
and if the wizards feel that I need to include background information before creating the town I suppose I could do so.
Doing so is one of the requirements that you can find spelled out in the wizard manual. While there you'll also learn about such things as the requirement that you not send wizards maps unless you have at least 40 and that you have to be at least 16 years of age.
Old 04-24-2008, 09:13 PM

I appreciate the creative criticism clubbz thank you. Now Arilou, i understand my idea may not fit into the standards of Wyvern as you so bluntly put, but is it really necessary to be so rude about it? The reason I started this thread was to get a feel on how wizards would react to the idea, thats all. I haven't even started the maps yet, and I do know the requirements of becoming a wizard. There is no need to shoot me down like that, all I'm trying to do is give something back to Wyvern.

Anyway since the idea of a town doesn't seem to work here, I'll get to work on some sort of new dungeon.
Old 04-24-2008, 09:36 PM

Salkand has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Send a message via AIM to Salkand

Some advice, don't argue with any of the wizards like that, do not make them made. You forget that Arilou is one of the wizards who will decide if you become a wizard, and if you respond to him in such a manner, what do you think your chances are?

No I am not implying Arilou will hold any sort of grudge against you, simply that you are making a bad impresion with him, one he will probably remember.
Old 04-24-2008, 10:06 PM
Forum Admin

Arilou has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewskee View Post
I appreciate the creative criticism clubbz thank you. Now Arilou, i understand my idea may not fit into the standards of Wyvern as you so bluntly put, but is it really necessary to be so rude about it? The reason I started this thread was to get a feel on how wizards would react to the idea, thats all. I haven't even started the maps yet, and I do know the requirements of becoming a wizard. There is no need to shoot me down like that, all I'm trying to do is give something back to Wyvern.
Being a wizard is a lot of work and most people who submit maps have it in their head that they just have to slap some things together and get the status/power that they desire. So yes, it's necessary to be hard on all would-be applicants. If my simple, blunt and to the point explanation of things seems overly harsh to you then maybe you should consider if this is for you as nothing I said was untrue or exaggerated nor was it an attempt to be rude. If you really intend to go through with this then you need to be able to deal with a little bluntness as we don't pull any punches with fellow wizards. We expect them to be able to handle it when we tell them an idea is bad and that it needs to be scrapped. We also expect them to properly research their ideas in the first place, (go get some fantasy books, start reading...brush up on your history, make use of google and any other resources you can find...) do all the things I mentioned in my previous post, deal with a lot player related stress, and so on. It's really not something you do just to "give back." If you don't love being creative and have a passion for being able to bring well crafted ideas to life via the mapeditor, it's doubtful that this is something for you. Again, not trying to be rude, just doing my best to give you a feel for what you're in for.
Old 04-24-2008, 10:12 PM

Ok, thank you very much for that last post. It's not that i can't "deal" with ideas i have being stupid, its just the way you said it. I did some thinking and I am going to try and create a town of mages. I had this idea i thought was kind of cool, where some of the houses in the town could have fire mages, and they had a spell where basically they heated up the floor so the player took fire damage while they were simply in the room. If it's really hard to create a spell like that i suppose i could just do lava, but i really like the idea of the floor itself becoming hot.
Old 04-25-2008, 12:56 PM

themadhobo has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

It would be challenging to create a spell that makes the floor hot, but you could create new floor tiles with similar effects to lava and to make the heat of the floor relate to the survival of the fire mage, you could make it stop if there are no fire mages present in the room. Then again, your maps have to be accepted and you have to become a wizard before you can create custom code.