Wyvern Forums

Review Wyvern Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Arcade
Go Back   Wyvern Forums > Archive > Wyvern Forums Archive > General
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chatbox Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General For serious discussions about general Wyvern topics.

Old 11-11-2014, 05:18 PM

Josiah has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Default Why doesn't Rhialto just continue from scratch?

I don't see why Rhialto won't just make it from scratch, I thought it was perfectly legal to make a game like Wyvern as long as he doesn't take the name/graphics/music/etc, and at the rate he has been dealing with these "Legal Issues" I think he could have finished by now...

And yes I know one of the most time consuming things in programming is making hundreds of sprites, but so much of it was fan made last time, why not new fan art this time?
Old 11-11-2014, 05:43 PM
Forum Admin

Arilou has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josiah View Post
And yes I know one of the most time consuming things in programming is making hundreds of sprites, but so much of it was fan made last time, why not new fan art this time?
I'm sorry, this is going to come across as mean, but...

You don't make graphics "in programming."
Old 11-11-2014, 07:40 PM
Player Mod

Clubbz has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

It would make for some interesting discussions.

"Woah dude, can I see the source code for that dragon sprite? I think I know the line that made it's eyes appear on it's feet."

All jokes aside, clearly you haven't been paying that much attention to the news, not to mention you don't comprehend the amount of time it would require from a DEDICATED programmer to create a game from the ground up. It's been well established that Rhialto is not heavily dedicated, due to a family, a job, and if I may take a guess, the waning of interest in a project after such a long time. Not everyone loses interest in projects they work on, but when you spend years of your life working on something, there does come a point where you need a break from it. Not to mention how you would feel if someone just flushed all that hardwork down the toilet and told you that you couldn't keep it and to start all over.
Old 11-12-2014, 02:08 AM

Thanks Clubbz, and Arilou, seriously, put the grudge aside!! We both know what I meant.
Old 11-12-2014, 01:09 PM

Bullfrogz has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Send a message via AIM to Bullfrogz Send a message via MSN to Bullfrogz

Is it that time of the year for Josiah to come back and ramble nonsense?
Old 11-12-2014, 10:13 PM

Really guys? This is kind of sad that you are still angry...if there is one thing I'll never understand it's a grudge after all this time, and if you want me to apologize, then I'm sorry, but will you just stop please?

And a side note: If say, someone waaas to make a game like Wyvern, what would you suggest a pixies starting abilities to be, and how much hp/mp should they gain per level?
Old 11-12-2014, 10:40 PM
Forum Admin

It's nice that you can just dismiss whatever I tell you as it being a "grudge," but shocking as this may seem I hold no ill will toward you. You say silly things, I point it out and laugh... you know, like I do with everyone regardless of if I know them or they're brand new or they talk to me all the time but I can't be bothered to remember their name so they're new to me (aka 99.9% of all players ever)

You built this thing up in your head that any criticism toward you is anger based, but I have no reason to be angry with you. All you've ever done is made a bunch of false claims. There's no reason to be upset over that, especially considering your age. It can be tiresome at times, sure, but overall it's amusing. Hence the s. Which I stand by.
Old 11-12-2014, 10:42 PM

Or by people that have never actually met you, that will look look like an almost perfect case of a stranger being passive aggressive. Hence, me thinking you were angry.
Old 11-12-2014, 10:51 PM
Forum Admin

List of words and phrases you've used in this thread despite seeming to not know what they mean:

in programming
grudge
passive aggressive

Openly laughing at someone and telling them the things they do are stupid is not passive aggressive. Passive aggressive is when you display negative emotions toward someone in indirect ways. For example, if you had a problem with your forum account so you PMed me about it and I ignored it because I was annoyed with you but I never bothered to tell you that was the reason why wasn't helping you, that would be passive aggressive.
Old 11-13-2014, 08:45 PM
Player Mod

Jacksparow has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

haha good ol' passive agressiveness... The midwestern method to fixing all personal or private issues with everyone.

Aaaaanyways.... to bring this back on topic. I can assume the main reason R doesn't want to start from scratch would be that he would have massive amounts of content unavailable to him, and would have to rewrite an insane amount of coding just to even get the basics of Wyvern down without even making any areas to play in. Most MMOS have a large collection of programming/graphics/testing employees that R just doesn't have access to in an indy game (for lack of better term) that a Wyvern 2 would be. Also I forget who it was that brought it up, but having to write the exact same code that you've written in the past can be discouraging knowing full well that you've lost it in the past and history can and usually does repeat itself. But I'm by no means an expert on the coding industry and this is just my 2 cents and an educated guess on the mindset of recreating a game from scratch.

Last edited by Jacksparow : 11-14-2014 at 09:31 PM.
Old 11-14-2014, 09:15 PM

Thanks Blackbeard!
Old 11-15-2014, 11:21 PM
Player Mod

Nodlove has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arilou View Post
List of words and phrases you've used in this thread despite seeming to not know what they mean:

in programming
grudge
passive aggressive
You forgot the word "both."

Anyway, as input to the comments on the original question from Josiah, when R first made the game, he had a team.

And to the question from Josiah about pixies, if you're going to make a Wyvern clone, I suggest committing a lot of this and this as well to memory, as a basis to start out. (Yay for the archive working again!)
Also, perhaps you should read the Dungeons and Dragons manuals (it doesn't really matter which edition, so much so as you read a player manual, a dungeon master manual, and a monster manual), and a lot of other books and articles on game design.
Basically, live for reading up on game design, there's a lot out there on the subject, and it's really important that you understand it on a fundamental level before you try to make a balanced system.
Speaking of making a balanced system, try writing your system with pen and paper first. You're going to want to have a calculator with you to do on the fly calculations of how different things affect other things, and how an encounter might happen. There's a lot of inner complexities that you can avoid hours at the computer working on by just planning first.
If you can't answer your question on pixies after that, you might want to give up because making a whole game world by yourself is a lot more complicated than just being able to decide a pixie's starting HP/MP. And don't think that it should ever be a set thing, you should be considering balance constantly, and every time a new thing is introduced into your system, you'll want to consider how it affects the other things within that system.

(Sorry for any typos, it's "International Sleep on a Keyboard Day" for cats around the world.)

Last edited by Nodlove : 11-16-2014 at 01:51 PM.
Old 11-23-2014, 02:47 AM

Thanks man, it's nice to have someone agree with me(even if it was unintentional), I totally learned my lesson to plan before doing things while working on other projects, and it can sometimes cut the script in half just by using math to place object automatically in the correct places.

And I actually do have two siblings to help workout character stats/spells/damage/etc, and it helps alot, but I'll take a look at those! Also one of the biggest things I'm working on is making sure the pixie isn't too overpowered by increasing/decreasing stats.

Thanks man!
Old 11-24-2014, 06:42 PM
Player Mod

Nodlove has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josiah View Post
Thanks man, it's nice to have someone agree with me(even if it was unintentional), I totally learned my lesson to plan before doing things while working on other projects, and it can sometimes cut the script in half just by using math to place object automatically in the correct places.

And I actually do have two siblings to help workout character stats/spells/damage/etc, and it helps alot, but I'll take a look at those! Also one of the biggest things I'm working on is making sure the pixie isn't too overpowered by increasing/decreasing stats.

Thanks man!
That's not what I meant. But you're welcome, I guess.