Wyvern Forums

Review Wyvern Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Arcade
Go Back   Wyvern Forums > Archive > Wyvern Forums Archive > General
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chatbox Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General For serious discussions about general Wyvern topics.

Old 04-15-2013, 11:52 PM

Bullfrogz has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Send a message via AIM to Bullfrogz Send a message via MSN to Bullfrogz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullfrogz
Just want to say how happy I am to see wyvern returning to us. The weekly updates are a real treat. Just as a player I wanted to ask a few tings.

1) After the website is complete, I know a lot of us really want to start testing the game again in it's original form the way we all remember it. Bringing the game up before working on a mobile client would really excite all the fans that have been waiting years and years for the return. Most have agreed that we would pay money to keep the servers running with the stress of a normal client, and all think it should be the biggest priority for wyvern. It is the game we all love after all.

2) Contrare has done extensive work with the code and might be willing to help with any of the work if you asked. Arilou and Teshuvah are also around still on the forums. Just thought I would remind you about him since he has done a lot of work for the game and if you were looking for help could be a good resource. His email is Contrare@gmail.com

Otherwise we are all happy work is being put into the game, we all just hope the priority is the game we all love so we can help beta test and make it better once again. Thanks R!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhialto
Hiya!

I think getting the basic server up and running, just as it was before, is going to be the first order of business. There will be some testing allowed -- probably whitelisted to a small group of trusted players.

Google has told me that today they are kind of expensive for running things like Wyvern. They are not yet competitive with Amazon's pricing structure for long-running jobs. If Google gives me free computing access (which they might!) then I can run a copy of the old Wyvern for as long as we want, and open it up to anyone, just like before. If I have to pay for it, well, we'll have to figure something out.

I may be able to farm out some of the work to Contrare; I'll ping him. E.g. he may be able to help me port the website, after I get it down to a mechanical thing.

Cheers,

R
This is an email from Rhialto. These sentences are to reach character minimum. <.<
Old 04-17-2013, 11:36 AM
Player Mod

binsenkind has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

oooohhh oooooooooh OOOOOHHHHHH...

*gasps*

iīm so bloody damn awesome trustful, let me in !!!!!!!!!!!!

if u canīt trust in dwarfs u can trust in noone...

...ehm... except those wearing fancy white gloves ^^
Old 05-09-2013, 05:18 PM

Bullfrogz has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Send a message via AIM to Bullfrogz Send a message via MSN to Bullfrogz

This is his response to asking for his mailing address for donations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhialto View Post
Hi Jeremiah,

Thanks for the offer! However, I don't think I necessarily need to ask for donations just yet. I found out 15 minutes ago that I am officially approved to host Wyvern on Google's cloud platform as an external, personal project at a steep employee discount. w00t! I was really happy they allowed me to do this.

So now I just need to get it up and running!

I also finished moving into my house this week, finally. So I'm ready to start doing Wyvern updates to the subreddit again. After a long, painful move, I'm ready to work on it regularly again.

I'll keep you guys posted.
Old 05-09-2013, 06:45 PM

Halfaxe has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

I think that as much as we would like to believe that Steve was put on this Earth to bring us Wyvern, the fact that someone with as much going on in his life still puts in the time to worry about a video game, is a blessing to us. Now that word has gotten out about weekly updates, and Wyvern's eventual return, I think we may have gotten a little impatient and need to remember that he does have a life, and as long as Wyvern is up someday, it will be soon enough. Thanks for keeping in contact with him though Bullfrogz, it definitely makes the waiting that much easier.
Old 05-09-2013, 08:38 PM
Player Mod

Dracco has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halfaxe View Post
I think that as much as we would like to believe that Steve was put on this Earth to bring us Wyvern, the fact that someone with as much going on in his life still puts in the time to worry about a video game, is a blessing to us. Now that word has gotten out about weekly updates, and Wyvern's eventual return, I think we may have gotten a little impatient and need to remember that he does have a life, and as long as Wyvern is up someday, it will be soon enough. Thanks for keeping in contact with him though Bullfrogz, it definitely makes the waiting that much easier.
He has so much going on what with playing guitar, playing video games, and writing insanely long blogs about playing video games. He also says this summer that maybe he will upload a video of him playing an Ocarina of Time song on the guitar!
Old 05-12-2013, 06:50 PM
Player Mod

Nodlove has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halfaxe View Post
... Now that word has gotten out about weekly updates...
Define, "weekly."
Old 05-12-2013, 09:52 PM

Marauder has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

I've not logged in since January of 2009, but I've been a lurker and player way before that. Excited about the possibility of it coming back!
Old 05-13-2013, 12:50 AM
Player Mod

Clubbz has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracco View Post
He has so much going on what with playing guitar, playing video games, and writing insanely long blogs about playing video games. He also says this summer that maybe he will upload a video of him playing an Ocarina of Time song on the guitar!
That's a bit harsh to be honest. While he isn't dedicating as much time to wyvern as we'd all like, he is entitled to a personal life and some leisure.
Old 05-13-2013, 01:35 AM
Player Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clubbz View Post
That's a bit harsh to be honest. While he isn't dedicating as much time to wyvern as we'd all like, he is entitled to a personal life and some leisure.
What is harsh is the excuses instead of an "I didn't get to it.".
Old 05-13-2013, 10:37 AM

Frosten has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
He also has 20% of his time at Google for Wyvern as a side project....

Glacio (Frost Giant Axeman) (level 30)
Then (Human Mage) (level 28)
Shoot (Rakshasa Caveman) (level 26)
Magiz (Halfling Enchanter) (level 26)
Patron (Human Conjurer) (level 25)
Dboss (Halfling Rogue) (level 25)
Old 05-13-2013, 11:58 AM

Exile has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Dedicating as much time as we'd like? I know it's his game to do whatever he wants with but the game went down over 2 years ago and it wasn't until recently that he started to actually do something about it. He hasn't been actively involved in developing Wyvern in TEN YEARS. While he might of been there to email or pop in every now and then to give the ok to things Teshuvah, Arilou and Contrare wanted to do, he wasn't actually involved in it. Keep in mind that this is the game that he created and clearly he lost interest for a long period of time. Part of me feels like it would be better off in someone else's hands that has more free time or is more willing to allocate time to work on the game or at least put forth more effort to bring the game back up. It is his game though, so unless he decides to give/sell it to someone that's not going to happen; I'm just getting a little bit impatient.
Old 05-13-2013, 12:01 PM

Brionac has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

*lights a torch and grabs a pitchfork*

Old 05-14-2013, 12:43 AM

Jeremytq has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

I was just wondering... When the website comes back up is it still gonna be called cabochon?
Old 05-14-2013, 08:58 AM
Player Mod

You guys all act like he owes it to us to do anything with the game. The truth of the matter is it's his game, and his alone to do whatever he wants with. You should consider yourselves lucky that after so much time he's even willing to offer any time to give it a second thought.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:17 AM

Brionac has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubbz
You guys all act like he owes it to us to do anything with the game. The truth of the matter is it's his game, and his alone to do whatever he wants with. You should consider yourselves lucky that after so much time he's even willing to offer any time to give it a second thought.
I think Exile's post covers this pretty well.

And if he owes it to anyone, its not the players. He owes it to the people who worked on Wyvern for 10 years without an R around.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:37 AM
Player Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremytq View Post
I was just wondering... When the website comes back up is it still gonna be called cabochon?
It's already up and currently at http://wyvern-web.appspot.com/
I don't know if he wants to change the name of it in the future.
Old 05-14-2013, 04:50 PM

Josiah has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Took the words right out of my mouth...... or fingers..... But anyways you guys are really ungrateful towards him just be glad he is trying.
Old 05-14-2013, 05:35 PM
Player Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josiah View Post
Took the words right out of my mouth...... or fingers..... But anyways you guys are really ungrateful towards him just be glad he is trying.
"Ungrateful" says the guy who wanted to ripoff Wyvern.

I feel like the people who think we are being ungrateful don't know Rhialto or Wyvern's history very well. Rhialto makes more progress when hounded, not praised as a lord who graces us with his presence.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:36 PM
Player Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracco View Post
I feel like the people who think we are being ungrateful don't know Rhialto or Wyvern's history very well. Rhialto makes more progress when hounded, not praised as a lord who graces us with his presence.

I'm well aware of Rhialto's work habits and wyvern's history. But at the end of the day, there is no deserved entitlement for the players. If he gets it up, great! If he doesn't, then life goes on. Making comments on what he does isn't the way to do things. Everyone need's leisure. Saying he now gets 20% of his time from google to work on it won't really speed it up that much. The fact that he's now trying make it part of his work at google will also include paperwork and testing. It will be up when it's up, so just have a little patience.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:07 PM
Player Mod

Quote:
I'm well aware of Rhialto's work habits and wyvern's history. But at the end of the day, there is no deserved entitlement for the players. If he gets it up, great! If he doesn't, then life goes on. Making comments on what he does isn't the way to do things. Everyone need's leisure. Saying he now gets 20% of his time from google to work on it won't really speed it up that much. The fact that he's now trying make it part of his work at google will also include paperwork and testing. It will be up when it's up, so just have a little patience.
You should break up your post responding to different quotes, you are replying to what 2 different people said.

My comment on what he does was evidence that he does have free time. The rest of your post does not even pertain to what I have said.