Wyvern Forums

Review Wyvern Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Arcade
Go Back   Wyvern Forums > Archive > Wyvern Forums Archive > General
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chatbox Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General For serious discussions about general Wyvern topics.

Old 02-02-2013, 02:33 PM

Funwill has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

In the throes of capitalism...

Sry, hopping in the discussion from the close follow-up of a dear game..
But a for a few questions: Does the branch claim its private property over the leaves to the trunk?? Aren't they sprouting as the creation of a common inheritance? And would that be reasonnable to cut off such a growth?

But the most of all: Wheeeeeen would that fruit be ripe again for our delight??
Old 02-02-2013, 06:38 PM

Harbringer Of Good Stuff is trapped in an Inn behind a dozen clones

Realistically speaking, if people want to open-source Wyvern, the only ones that can advocate for it, is the community itself.

I personally would really like to see a development model, that has our own stable Wyvern, and another cutting-edge Wyvern. The cutting-edge Wyvern would be for testers and developers, and the stable Wyvern is for those that just want to play good ole Wyvern, that gets updates here and there.

This model could be closed source or even open source, as long as the game is up, and actively developed. I really don't care at this point if Wyvern is open source or not.

Anyway, at this point I have kinda stopped caring, as I have found other better games than Wyvern. DCSS, for example.

I look toward the day of being the best I can be.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:27 PM
Player Mod

Halloween has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Open sourcing also requires the one with the code to be willing to do so.
Old 02-02-2013, 11:05 PM

Harbringer Of Good Stuff is trapped in an Inn behind a dozen clones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halloween View Post
Open sourcing also requires the one with the code to be willing to do so.
I think R mentioned something about it and that he was thinking about it..not sure about th post. :/

I look toward the day of being the best I can be.
Old 02-03-2013, 01:09 AM
Forum Admin

Arilou has disabled reputation

To quote myself from this very thread (and this very page within this thread, no less)...

Quote:
And as I've said in the past, he's flirted with the idea of open sourcing the game on and off since 2004. However, he has instead kept paying a bunch of money for it to remain up for years without much involvement from him, trusted select people with access to the source code so the game wouldn't die while he waited to decide what to do, (that was a huge deal for him) and for long stretches of time he has preferred that it remain down than up and in the hands of whoever. So, although he might reference that as a possibility from time to time, I wouldn't hold your breath on that one - It's rather evident to me that he likes the idea of possibly doing something with Wyvern in the future and, even though that seems rather unlikely to come to pass, at this point, I don't see him giving up that possibility after holding on to it for so long. Although, this is just my personal opinion - I can't say for sure what Rhialto will or will not do... obviously.
Old 02-24-2013, 01:48 PM
Forum Admin

As you can see, I moved all the severely off-topic posts from the "Guess when the server will be back" thread. Since moderating a forum for a game that I am retired from is rather tedious, I haven't had all that motivation to deal with some of this stuff in the past and, in fact, I still can't bring myself to deal with all the threads that Harbringer derailed with his open sourcing rhetoric. So, let's just focus on the future and, from now on, please try to keep all open sourcing and cloning Wyvern talk in this thread.
Old 02-24-2013, 10:15 PM
Player Mod

Nodlove has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Perhaps it deserves its own subforum, since people seem to revert to this topic a lot?
Old 02-25-2013, 07:31 PM

Enerath has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Oh lordy, I saw those posts and saw myself a few years back.
Anywho, can there really be a Wyvern clone/copy? It seems impossible to me, because even *IF* the R gave up on Wyvern completely, OpenSourced it, and a few Wizards gave up their directories, it still wouldn't be Wyvern. When stuff is OpenSourced people usually change the original game, something they didn't like, or thought would make it better, to sort of make it their own and lay some claim on it. I've never seen a game go OpenSourced, only to be re-hosted exactly the same, although I could be wrong.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:16 PM
Player Mod

Dracco has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enerath View Post
Oh lordy, I saw those posts and saw myself a few years back.
Anywho, can there really be a Wyvern clone/copy? It seems impossible to me, because even *IF* the R gave up on Wyvern completely, OpenSourced it, and a few Wizards gave up their directories, it still wouldn't be Wyvern. When stuff is OpenSourced people usually change the original game, something they didn't like, or thought would make it better, to sort of make it their own and lay some claim on it. I've never seen a game go OpenSourced, only to be re-hosted exactly the same, although I could be wrong.
When I think of a clone I think of someone making a game that is to Wyvern what Wyvern is to Crossfire. Meaning they take the graphical MUD idea and some other basic ideas that does not infringe on any copyrighted material (elemental spell systems, standard mythological creatures, etc.) and create an entirely new game. It is an incredibly difficult endeavor but certainly possible if a talented individual were to lead the project (in a more reliable manner than what has been the previous experience).
Old 02-27-2013, 01:15 AM

Lanterra has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracco View Post
When I think of a clone I think of someone making a game that is to Wyvern what Wyvern is to Crossfire. Meaning they take the graphical MUD idea and some other basic ideas that does not infringe on any copyrighted material (elemental spell systems, standard mythological creatures, etc.) and create an entirely new game. It is an incredibly difficult endeavor but certainly possible if a talented individual were to lead the project (in a more reliable manner than what has been the previous experience).
I wouldn't personally consider this a bad thing if it happened and was done respectfully- wyvern is more than just a game as I see it. It's an experiment and a legacy. Even though it wasn't open source, the concept of a game built partially by the community? A game simple enough to run on pretty much any computer? A totally free MMO? Those are all big things that you almost never see, and certainly never together. To my knowledge there are no other games where you can make such a true mark on the game as part of the community as Wyvern..... it was special, and I personally believe that concept and legacy should live on and spread, whether wyvern (hopefully) comes back, or not.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:11 AM

Brionac has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

That was beautiful.
Old 03-18-2013, 12:51 AM
Player Mod

Nodlove has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Default Thoughts?

What would be general positive/negative thoughts on a 3D game following a similar style to Wyvern? What I mean by "style" is the feel of movement (no animation), the quickness of action, etc.? I mean, without animation, dynamic lighting, etc., a 3D game could get away with behaving very similarly to Wyvern, even tiling. I was thinking of this the other day when I was modeling a goblin for something I'm working on for school, and how cool it could be to use Wyvern as a basis for a 3D game.

Obviously, I'm not a nutcase, nor do I have 1,000+ hours (at least) to put into finding a crew and doing the work on top of everything else I have to do. I was just thinking about how different, yet similar, Wyvern's style could be in 3D. Not only would it be a mostly, if not an entirely new concept to 3D games, it could stand to generate a lot of interest. What could 3D gaming learn from 2D? A lot, definitely. And this would put a lot of ease on developers - the less animating the code has to focus on, the more systems, locations, etc. can be put in place.
Old 03-19-2013, 02:00 PM

Salkand has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Send a message via AIM to Salkand

I would not play such a game. If I'm going 3D, then I want animation and everything.

What works in 2D doesn't mean it is the same in 3D.
Old 03-19-2013, 05:37 PM

Josiah has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

In case you were wondering(which I doubt you were) I may have just given up on making a game similar to Wyvern cause the computer crashed and I lost it completely.... I may have it back up on another comp but I cant check until tonight..... And no I dont expect you to care
Old 03-19-2013, 05:50 PM
Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arilou View Post
I was waiting for the excuse as to why nobody will ever be able to see proof of the 13 year old's far out claim. No offense, Josiah, I'm sure this all very personal to you, but I (and probably a lot of people here) have had this exact conversation with people your age many times before and your behavior is textbook at this point. Hence why nobody believes you and never will. So please, just drop it before you dig yourself into a deeper hole.

Mind you, I say that knowing it's extremely unlikely that you will as the 13 year olds who make these kinds of wild claims hate to have their claims challenged. I get it, people probably treat you like a dumb kid a lot of the time and you desperately want to feel like you're more than that so you convince yourself that you're capable of something far beyond your years. I'm sure you really believe that you could learn to create a MMO in short order and when people challenged that belief, you fell into the classic pattern of claiming that it was already under way, thinking that would validate your claim and that it didn't matter because you could get to where you claimed to be in this "project" anyway. However, having no concept of what is truly involved in making a MMO you made claims about how far along you were that were too out there. So, now you need an excuse as to why people won't be seeing it in your indicated time frame. If we were your parents, you'd probably repeatedly say some unexpected issues came up that delayed you. But since it's the internet you can just "punish" the people who are challenging you by letting them ever see proof of how great you are (and, indeed, you'd have to an amazing genius to be able to program a MMO from scratch at your age).

Again, I know it's extremely unlikely you will take any of this to heart and I'm sure if you reply at all you'll do so by again stating that nobody here knows you, but do yourself a favor and lower your expectations. You don't have to be capable of the impossible at your age. If game creation is really something that interests you, that's fine to pursue. Just be prepared for years and years of hard work before you get the kind of validation you seek and understand that maybe it won't work out for you. In which case, you'll have find something else to focus your efforts on.
I was waiting for the second round of excuses (this is textbook behavior).

Excuse #1: "I'm going to punish you and not let you see my great game because you're being mean to me. Na-na-na-nah."

Excuse #2: "My computer crashed and all my work is lost so you can't see the game. I know it's weird that I wouldn't for sure have a back-up as you'd expect from a genius who can code a MMORPG from scratch in under two years, but... actually, I don't know that and truly think this is a legitimate excuse because I'm a pretender. Also, this is another stall tactic as I truly believe I can learn to make a game like that in short order. So now when I do learn how to program, [and then immediately start making complex games because it is that easy] I can either say that my backup was X months old or say that I started up again from scratch as a way of explaining why I'm behind my expected due date. Although, really, that's never going to happen as I am just a delusional kid, but don't tell me that lest you wish for me to yell at you in AOL speak. "

Btw, I tried to avoid making fun of you (as others were doing) and even gave you a way out by explaining that a lot of people mistakenly go down this path at your age, but you refused to drop it. So you brought this on yourself.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:10 PM

Josiah has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Oookkkaaaayyy...... Obviously your stupider then i thought the computer did crash and got a blue screen that said something about the driver of the thumbdrive doing something? can someone tell me what that means? And I have never been treated as a stupid little kid lol.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:17 PM
Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josiah View Post
the computer did crash and got a blue screen that said something about the driver of the thumbdrive doing something? can someone tell me what that means?
How do you not know what is wrong being the computer genius that you are?

Quote:
And I have never been treated as a stupid little kid lol.
And that's exactly the problem. Everyone in your life pretends that your nonsense is cute so you have unrealistic expectations and get offended when people don't believe you even though you're legitimately not being truthful.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:40 PM
Player Mod

Clubbz has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Josiah, if you really didn't care what everyone thought, you wouldn't repeatedly be making posts that update us on your imaginary game, as well as excuses as to why it won't happen. Also, you wouldn't be retorting at every comment anyone throws your way if you didn't care. Saying "I don't care what you think, but here's an excuse anyways!", seems like nothing more than a child seeking approvement from those around him.
Old 03-20-2013, 03:12 PM

Salkand has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Send a message via AIM to Salkand

I know usually Arilou and I are the ones to banter back and forth (The score being Arilou 1,453,256.4: Salkand 000.6), and so me saying anything that contributes to Arilou's point of view will seem odd. But even after only 1 month studying html, web design, and graphic design. I learned to keep many backups of my projects, and to save them periodically through every day that I worked on them.

So Arilou's point on how anyone with any computer knowledge will keep backups of their projects, is very accurate. And anyone who has any computer knowledge over a year will keep various backups in various different formats.

Quote:
Oookkkaaaayyy...... Obviously your stupider then i thought . . .

And I also wanted to say that this is another one of those typical things people will say when they have nothing of value to contribute to their "argument." Instead of giving valid proof, or evidence to support their claim (Mostly because they don't have any), said arguer will start with the insults and attacks on said opponents character.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:15 PM

Steovanni has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
In case you were wondering(which I doubt you were) I may have just given up on making a game similar to Wyvern cause the computer crashed and I lost it completely.... I may have it back up on another comp but I cant check until tonight..... And no I dont expect you to care
Anyone starting a big programming project would at least have a repository for their code and would not only have a copy on a thumb drive.

Also, if you were as experienced as you say you are, you would be able to work out from the information given to you on the blue screen what the problem is.

On another note... I'm making my own Wyvern clone. It will be cool and have pew pew lazers and it will be just like Wyvern, except I'll be doing everything myself (with the infinite free time I have) so it's a little different .