Wyvern Forums

Review Wyvern Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Arcade
Go Back   Wyvern Forums > Archive > Wyvern Forums Archive > General
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chatbox Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General For serious discussions about general Wyvern topics.

Old 10-01-2012, 03:01 PM

VoidTeamNetwork has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Question Contacting Rhialto and bringing the game back

Recently I found a means of contacting Steve. A couple of my friends are long time programmers and players of Wyvern and we were thinking of at least attempting to buy the source code for Wyvern from Steve. I'm hoping to receive a response from him soon. I suppose the worst thing he could do is not answer at all, but if anyone knows a better way of contacting him, I'd love to know. I know that his email can't be shared via these forums but if someone has a way of contacting him and letting him know in case he doesn't check my message that I send him please let him know that we are interested.

Anyway, I hope he responds quickly and I will post back here if or when he does.

Last edited by VoidTeamNetwork : 10-14-2012 at 05:59 PM.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:11 PM

Iro has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

I don't see Rhialto selling off the rights to this game at all. Even if you were to disregard the fact that he still has things he wants to do with Wyvern (I'm pretty sure he does, anyway), I get the feeling he'd be more inclined to make it open source than sell it.

I appreciate that you seem to be putting in effort to get the game back up and running, but I'm not sure I'd want this game run/owned by anyone but Rhialto and the current Wizards.
Old 10-02-2012, 01:10 AM

We didn't think that everyone would be so upset, we only had what we believed to be best in mind. If even one person wasn't alright with these, then it's obviously not a good idea. We apologize.
Old 10-02-2012, 01:15 AM
Player Mod

Halloween has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Meh.

Like Silico, I greatly doubt R will sell rights to the game. While I also have reservations against new administration, I'd probably give it a chance if it ended up going that direction.
Old 10-02-2012, 01:54 PM

Morgus has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

I hope this doesn't sound in bad taste, but as long as I get to play Wyvern, I don't care what happens to it.
Old 10-02-2012, 03:16 PM
Player Mod

Dracco has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

There is a lot I have to say on the subject but I'm sure no one cares to read a wall of text based on my opinion so I'll just sit back and watch what transpires.
Old 10-02-2012, 03:38 PM

Iro has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoidTeamNetwork View Post
We didn't think that everyone would be so upset, we only had what we believed to be best in mind. If even one person wasn't alright with these, then it's obviously not a good idea. We apologize.
If I sounded at all inflammatory in my first post, I apologize. My objective wasn't to shut down your attempts to get the game back up, but rather to express the concerns that popped into my head when I read that someone might try to buy the rights off Rhialto. Like I said, I appreciate the attempt regardless of whether or not I approve of the outcome. If you and your friends feel that this is the best course of action to take to get the game back, don't let a couple of concerned forum posts stop you.
Old 10-03-2012, 12:31 AM

Frosten has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

While I honestly doubt that R would agree to selling off the source code for Wyvern, anything that would get the game up at this point would be better than no wyvern, besides completely open-sourcing it.

That being said, I don't know what you guys would plan on doing with it (i'm assuming your team would be the new "wizards" to work on the game) but if Steve does decide to sell it off I would definitely still play the nostalgic game.

Also, the complaint about not having the original faithful wizards concern popped up. Based on the numerous posts by Arilou and Teshuvah saying they are no longer going to be involved, it appears that if Wyvern came back up, there wouldn't be the Arch Wizard support there used to be. apart from those two, we also had Contrare, who was coding a ton of the new content, out doing his own thing.

My main point being, if you guys are really serious about wanting to bring the game back, have the programming experience you say you have, and have been honest, rule-abiding players of Wyvern, maybe you should try to get R to bring Wyvern back by showing him your skills as programmers and your willingness to become wizards. That way, the game is back, R still has control of the code, and you guys get to contribute.

Just a couple of thoughts, feel free to bash them up.

Glacio (Frost Giant Axeman) (level 30)
Then (Human Mage) (level 28)
Shoot (Rakshasa Caveman) (level 26)
Magiz (Halfling Enchanter) (level 26)
Patron (Human Conjurer) (level 25)
Dboss (Halfling Rogue) (level 25)
Old 10-03-2012, 03:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosten View Post
While I honestly doubt that R would agree to selling off the source code for Wyvern, anything that would get the game up at this point would be better than no wyvern, besides completely open-sourcing it.

That being said, I don't know what you guys would plan on doing with it (i'm assuming your team would be the new "wizards" to work on the game) but if Steve does decide to sell it off I would definitely still play the nostalgic game.

Also, the complaint about not having the original faithful wizards concern popped up. Based on the numerous posts by Arilou and Teshuvah saying they are no longer going to be involved, it appears that if Wyvern came back up, there wouldn't be the Arch Wizard support there used to be. apart from those two, we also had Contrare, who was coding a ton of the new content, out doing his own thing.

My main point being, if you guys are really serious about wanting to bring the game back, have the programming experience you say you have, and have been honest, rule-abiding players of Wyvern, maybe you should try to get R to bring Wyvern back by showing him your skills as programmers and your willingness to become wizards. That way, the game is back, R still has control of the code, and you guys get to contribute.

Just a couple of thoughts, feel free to bash them up.

I completely agree. First and foremost though, I'm speaking for myself at the moment, is that I would want the old community to be comfortable if these changes were to even occur. If to many were against it then I personally don't know if I'd feel completely comfortable with it. Honestly, I just want the game back. Like you said, anything is better than no Wyvern at all.

I wish I could get some of the old Wizards back into the project, and maybe if I can get a hold of them they would want to become a part of this possible future. I do like your idea of just letting R know that there are still people willing to work on the game out there, I only wish I had better means of communicating with him. As of now I haven't received a reply but I didn't intend to get a reply right away either.

Anyway, we are just a group of guys that loved the game and want it back up. No ridiculously big changes or anything, we just want it back. Personally I played with one of my best friends in the game and after he passed away I put it on myself to at least contribute slightly to bringing it back. I guess we'll just see what happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silico View Post
If I sounded at all inflammatory in my first post, I apologize. My objective wasn't to shut down your attempts to get the game back up, but rather to express the concerns that popped into my head when I read that someone might try to buy the rights off Rhialto. Like I said, I appreciate the attempt regardless of whether or not I approve of the outcome. If you and your friends feel that this is the best course of action to take to get the game back, don't let a couple of concerned forum posts stop you.
No worries, I'm only taking what each player says very critically because the game is just as much mine as it is anyone else's. If one person isn't comfortable with it, then who am I to say what should be done? I really appreciate your input though, but I suppose it's too early to say anything yet. I just want the game back. If I could just hear R say even "No, I don't want to do that" I'd be better off compared to where I am now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracco View Post
There is a lot I have to say on the subject but I'm sure no one cares to read a wall of text based on my opinion so I'll just sit back and watch what transpires.
I care! let me know how you feel if you'd like.
Old 10-06-2012, 06:02 PM

Harbringer Of Good Stuff is trapped in an Inn behind a dozen clones

You guys can all contribute to the game by getting it open sourced. Open source is the way to go, mark my words!

I look toward the day of being the best I can be.
Old 10-06-2012, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbringer Of Good Stuff View Post
You guys can all contribute to the game by getting it open sourced. Open source is the way to go, mark my words!

Is there any news on him making it open sourced?
Old 10-06-2012, 11:05 PM
Forum Admin

Arilou has disabled reputation

Quote:
Is there any news on him making it open sourced?
No, Harbringer is just open source obsessed and takes any opportunity to promote it as an option. He then tends to get in arguments with people who overwhelming think that it is a bad idea - At this point, I think he's just doing it to get a reaction from people. I recommend ignoring him.
Old 10-06-2012, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arilou View Post
No, Harbringer is just open source obsessed and takes any opportunity to promote it as an option. He then tends to get in arguments with people who overwhelming think that it is a bad idea - At this point, I think he's just doing it to get a reaction from people. I recommend ignoring him.
Thanks Arilou, I appreciate the notice. I'm just so gung ho lately about getting the game up I'd listen to just about anyone for any help.
Old 10-13-2012, 04:38 PM
Player Mod

Irlazy has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Yeah pay no heed to him he just runs off jamming his open source junk anywhere he can. I'm pretty sure atm the total amount of loyal wyvern players for open source is just him and all against numbers everyone else. Anyway back on topic I think I file into the cautiously optimistic group in regards to your idea. I like it better then where we stand now but having the game completely out of R's hands... I'm just not sure. This game was formed and built through an image he had and evolved through the image of himself and the wizards to be where it was when we last experienced it. The idea of it being someone else's vision means the risk of it being just a game called wyvern but not THE game called Wyvern. Don't know if that makes sense to anyone else or not but I guess that is just my two cents on it...
Old 10-13-2012, 06:34 PM

Dman has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

http://www.kongregate.com/games/adur...omplete=wyvern
Old 10-13-2012, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irlazy View Post
Yeah pay no heed to him he just runs off jamming his open source junk anywhere he can. I'm pretty sure atm the total amount of loyal wyvern players for open source is just him and all against numbers everyone else. Anyway back on topic I think I file into the cautiously optimistic group in regards to your idea. I like it better then where we stand now but having the game completely out of R's hands... I'm just not sure. This game was formed and built through an image he had and evolved through the image of himself and the wizards to be where it was when we last experienced it. The idea of it being someone else's vision means the risk of it being just a game called wyvern but not THE game called Wyvern. Don't know if that makes sense to anyone else or not but I guess that is just my two cents on it...
I completely understand where you're coming from. I myself am still debating if it's even a good idea. If it was some other group of people and not myself attempting to try to get Wyvern up, then I would be just as cautious. To put it frankly, I don't know what the right thing to do is. Should I just wait like everyone else, or should I try to take the next step? When I contacted R I asked him to even give me some kind of indication if he is even considering bringing it up to give me some peace of mind; many of my concerns rest on that answer. I know he's one to procrastinate at this point but if he is who I hope he is I would at least expect an honest answer. Maybe, all in all, just letting him know that there are still many people interested in the game will make him come around. I'm not saying my plan is the best course of action and I'm trying to take everyone's concern into consideration, but I need something you know? At this point everyone deserves an honest answer.
Old 10-14-2012, 02:05 PM
Forum Admin

Quote:
When I contacted R I asked him to even give me some kind of indication if he is even considering bringing it up to give me some peace of mind; many of my concerns rest on that answer. I know he's one to procrastinate at this point but if he is who I hope he is I would at least expect an honest answer.
He's said many times that the game will be back up one way or another. That's not the issue. The issue is of when and how.

From experience, I can tell you that things will likely be dragged out for awhile longer and the chances of getting a reply to any emails will be low. But, the game will be back at some point as, obviously, he's not going to just let the game that he spent so much time working on die off, never to be seen again.

He may get the game back by giving up responsibility for it. But, he's held on to it without regularly working on it for about 9 years under the basis that certain things will fall perfectly into place. So, I doubt it. It may seem like this downtime is him giving up, but it's no different than how things always have been, with the exception that he doesn't have to pay monthly server fees and deal with the headache of us complaining about outages. Whether it's limping along while up or costing him nothing while down, he still retains control over it and that gives him the option of holding out hope that he'll be able to do what he want with the game if X, Y, and Z happen.

Unfortunately, I've been hearing him talk of the day when he'll be able to move the game forward for as long as he's not been working on it. So, it will either happen for him or it won't and he'll have to give up on that and settle for the game as is... or he'll put it on hold and bring the game back up in a lesser than his idealized state because he feels bad for those of you who bother him... or he'll have to realize that it's never going to work out the way he wants it and either open source it or find someone else to run it. Again, what decision he'll end up coming to and when he'll do it is anyone's guess. The last thing he told players was that he was going to go with the pity option, which is that he was going to port the game so it would work on Amazon's cloud services and limp along like that until he could do something more. But, that was months ago and the call to bother him en mass has died down, so his responses seem to have stopped as well.

Just a quick disclaimer - I have nothing to do with any of this, I'm recapping what has already been said in previous threads. So, if you're going to bother someone, bother... Bullfrogz.
Old 10-14-2012, 05:56 PM

Quote:
He's said many times that the game will be back up one way or another. That's not the issue. The issue is of when and how.

From experience, I can tell you that things will likely be dragged out for awhile longer and the chances of getting a reply to any emails will be low. But, the game will be back at some point as, obviously, he's not going to just let the game that he spent so much time working on die off, never to be seen again.

He may get the game back by giving up responsibility for it. But, he's held on to it without regularly working on it for about 9 years under the basis that certain things will fall perfectly into place. So, I doubt it. It may seem like this downtime is him giving up, but it's no different than how things always have been, with the exception that he doesn't have to pay monthly server fees and deal with the headache of us complaining about outages. Whether it's limping along while up or costing him nothing while down, he still retains control over it and that gives him the option of holding out hope that he'll be able to do what he want with the game if X, Y, and Z happen.

Unfortunately, I've been hearing him talk of the day when he'll be able to move the game forward for as long as he's not been working on it. So, it will either happen for him or it won't and he'll have to give up on that and settle for the game as is... or he'll put it on hold and bring the game back up in a lesser than his idealized state because he feels bad for those of you who bother him... or he'll have to realize that it's never going to work out the way he wants it and either open source it or find someone else to run it. Again, what decision he'll end up coming to and when he'll do it is anyone's guess. The last thing he told players was that he was going to go with the pity option, which is that he was going to port the game so it would work on Amazon's cloud services and limp along like that until he could do something more. But, that was months ago and the call to bother him en mass has died down, so his responses seem to have stopped as well.

Just a quick disclaimer - I have nothing to do with any of this, I'm recapping what has already been said in previous threads. So, if you're going to bother someone, bother... Bullfrogz.
Thank you for the info.. I know you don't owe me anything and that you don't want any part of this but I really, really appreciate and value your input.

I've gone ahead and messaged Bullfrogz in regards to contacting R. I don't know how active he is, nor have I talked to him before, but I hope he responds soon.
Old 10-15-2012, 11:27 PM
Forum Admin

Quote:
I've gone ahead and messaged Bullfrogz in regards to contacting R. I don't know how active he is, nor have I talked to him before, but I hope he responds soon.
Seriously? *laughs* That's too good - I've been making jokes about how, in an epic bit of irony, people should bother Bullfrogz since he's become known for bothering Rhialto. But, I don't think anyone actually did it before.
Old 10-16-2012, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Seriously? *laughs* That's too good - I've been making jokes about how, in an epic bit of irony, people should bother Bullfrogz since he's become known for bothering Rhialto. But, I don't think anyone actually did it before.
At this point I'm pretty sure that Rhialto is just ignoring my messages, so Bullfrogz may be my last option. I really hope he pulls through, I don't know how he stands on the situation so I'm a bit worried I'm just bothering him.