Wyvern Forums

Review Wyvern Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Arcade
Go Back   Wyvern Forums > Archive > Wyvern Forums Archive > Wyvern Development
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chatbox Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Wyvern Development Here you can discuss anything and everything involving creating your own content for Wyvern. Have a problem with an arch file or a map? Want to show off something you've been working on? If so this is the place for you.

Old 01-21-2008, 10:45 AM

Myself has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Default Ethics of Recreating Wizard archetypes

Having toyed with the idea of becoming a Wizard, I've recently started making a few maps. A group of them are to represent a ruined building. To make the interior deserve that label, finding little in the map editor to help me, I began applying my poor artistic abilities by modding a few images, such as to create a plantless pot and a bare, wooden bed.

However, I then noticed some of Binyamin's beautiful ruined objects in Noir, such as the dead house plant, ruined clock, ruined bed, etc. What's more, I noticed that the images were automatically downloaded into my Wyvern client - but just the images, not the archetypes. Much as I might like to use them in my maps, as a non-Wizard, I do not have access tot he archetypes, and my options would be:

1)create the maps without them, and then add them in when/if I become a Wizard (assuming I get permission to use them - that is required, am I not mistaken?)
2)create my own temperary archetypes to use until whenever/if ever I become a Wizard (and then hopefully subsequently get permission to use the originals)

So, my question is: Would there be anything wrong with submitting maps that "plagiarize" other Wizards' images?
Old 01-21-2008, 05:40 PM
Forum Admin

Arilou has disabled reputation

Anything whatsoever in a wizard's directory is their private content. Using it without permission is not allowed and will automatically result in there being no chance of you getting promoted (it will also result in a banishment if done after becoming a wizard). Also, players are not going to be given permission to use wizard content so in case you or anyone had the thought of asking in mind, it would not fly (we share quite a bit with other wizards though).
Old 01-23-2008, 05:36 PM

Myself has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Okay, glad I asked!

I don't suppose there's any problem with modifying the graphics in /wyvern/art/game/, is there?
Old 01-25-2008, 05:07 PM
Wizard

Arisu has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Bow and arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arilou View Post
...Also, players are not going to be given permission to use wizard content so incase you or anyone had the thought of asking in mind, it would not fly (we share quite a bit with other wizards though).
Does this mean that if I started posting new images on my Freewebs site along with a .arch file, it would be open game for other players to use in their mapmaking attempts? I've totally always wanted to do this.. the purpose of my site is to (eventually) be a big huge stockpile so people aren't so limited in their choices. "People" being wizards and players.

This rule you stated gives me a strange scenario, and at the moment I'm not thinking of a simple resolution, except one that is probably not a good idea to post on the forums.

Okay, so firstly I could submit Newmonster.gif to a wizard and thus Newmonster.gif is no longer available for player use because it's wizard content. Understood. But if I include the .arch (that I either wrote myself or enlisted another player's help for) when I post Newmonster.gif to my site it's still just player content until the image is submitted to you or whoever. My question then, is does this image become player-ONLY content? (that is, until someone who uses my art in their map gets promoted, of course) it doesn't seem like wizards would be allowed to touch the image without my permission.. cause it's like, ganking it straight from my site. And if wizards can use this Newmonster.gif + the .arch, submitting my art to wizards is completely pointless.
How do we allow BOTH to use them?
Old 01-25-2008, 06:20 PM
Forum Admin

Arilou has disabled reputation

I'll be happy to answer your questions if you ask them again in private, Arisu.
Old 03-30-2008, 09:37 AM
Forum Admin

Binyamin has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

OK, let me make this official.

With the exception of the Demon Princes (Orcus, Demogorgon, et al -- which are Arisu art) and my LQ monsters, all my content is created for anyone to use in the game of Wyvern.

If you meet the qualifications for a Wizard applicant, then by all means, use my stuff.

Maybe even someday I'll get off my lazy duff and add it to the archtype exchange.

But if I were y'all, I wouldn't try holding my breath.