Wyvern Forums

Review Wyvern Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Arcade
Go Back   Wyvern Forums > Archive > Wyvern Forums Archive > General
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chatbox Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General For serious discussions about general Wyvern topics.

Old 03-21-2013, 02:44 AM

Josiah has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Are you guys paying attention to anything I say at all?? I use a thumbdrive and 3 computers because my parents are divorced so i got back and forth between houses...... and i keep many many backups which is why i actually didnt lose my data
Old 03-21-2013, 02:57 AM

Morgus has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josiah View Post
Are you guys paying attention to anything I say at all?? I use a thumbdrive and 3 computers because my parents are divorced so i got back and forth between houses...... and i keep many many backups which is why i actually didnt lose my data
Of course we're paying attention. It's good that you didn't lose your data. I don't know anything about programming though. Is it just programming data? Or is it stuff like sprites and images?
Old 03-21-2013, 07:50 AM
Forum Admin

Arilou has disabled reputation

Who's not paying attention to the things you say... us or you?

Quote:
Quote:
In case you were wondering(which I doubt you were) I may have just given up on making a game similar to Wyvern cause the computer crashed and I lost it completely.... I may have it back up on another comp but I cant check until tonight..... And no I dont expect you to care
Last I checked, there's no reason to give up on making a game if you're confident that you didn't lose any data because you of course have multiple backups. Also, one doesn't say they "may" have a back up on another computer when they know they have multiple copies. The level of absurdity in trying to claim the opposite of what you just said on a forum where anyone can go back and read what you wrote is extreme. And then on top of it, your genius programmer self admits that you're struggling to learn javascript in the chatbox...

Quote:
Josiah: Does anyone know how to use Javascript? im learning on a website... but i dont know how to actually turn on javascript to program....
If I didn't know you, I would think you were trolling as it is beyond me how anyone can be this dumb. I am sorry, I don't mean to insult you, but there is no nicer way to express your latest nonsense.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:30 AM

Brionac has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Reading all these posts beating up on Josiah is a great addition to my day.

*nudges Josiah* Are you just going to stand there and let him talk to you like that?

Old 03-21-2013, 04:05 PM

Wooooowww you really arent paying attention i have like 4 backups most of them are a few weeks old and the other one that i got is like a day old so im not giving up.... And did you seriously just say 'if I didnt know you'? cause that is the most ridiculous thing you've said yet
Old 03-21-2013, 06:02 PM
Forum Admin

Would I be correct to assume your issue with me saying that I know you has to do with you thinking that means I was saying I am closely connected with you? If so, you do realize that saying I "know' someone is not the same as saying I know them personally, right? "Knowing" someone is subjective. You could be in the same class with someone you never talk to and then saying "Hey, I know you" when you see them out of that setting or you could be bosom buddies with someone and when a third party asks you about him you could say; "Oh yeah, I know him all right." Both instances portray different levels of knowledge. For the latter, you are stating that you really know someone and for the former you are stating that you sorta know someone. In my instance, I was referring to the fact that I know you from you antics in Wyvern and therefore feel that I have enough experience with you to know that this is not an act.

As for your repeated assertion that you have backups, you once again have failed to pay attention to what your past words while ignorantly proclaiming that others are the ones who have failed to pay attention. As I said in my last post, your statement of; "I may have just given up on making a game similar to Wyvern cause the computer crashed and I lost it completely," does not denote the existence of a backup. If you, in fact, were this sure that you had backups when you posted that why would you say that you were giving up on making the game and why you would you say that you lost it completely, followed by the line I quoted in my previous post where you said that you may have a backup on another computer, but will have to check to be sure?

Of course, you most likely will fail to fully read/comprehend what I wrote here just as you seem to have done not only with my last post but with your very own initial post. So I imagine you will see/gather that I don't believe you and jump to reply with some whining nonsense about how I am the one not paying attention (which is amusing considering I would always get near perfect reading comprehension scores in school and you're a thirteen year old kid who doesn't know the difference between "your" and "you're").
Old 03-21-2013, 11:24 PM

I only ready the 3rd paragraph cause im to lazy to read whatever stupid stuff you write to annoy me but i do know the difference.... shall I explain it to your tiny brains? You're is short for 'you are' and your is.... well what i used to for...
Old 03-22-2013, 12:10 AM
Forum Admin

First of all, thank you for proving my point that you're the one not paying attention and therefore shouldn't be accusing others of such. Also, thank you for proving my thought that you can't focus long enough to read anything more than a few sentences and therefore would never be able to make your way through a lengthy programming textbook.

Second of all, by googling the difference between "you're" and "your" you're missing the point, which is that you previously said the following:

Quote:
Oookkkaaaayyy...... Obviously your stupider then i thought the computer did crash and got a blue screen that said something about the driver of the thumbdrive doing something? can someone tell me what that means? And I have never been treated as a stupid little kid lol.
Needless to say, the ironic humor of someone calling someone else stupid in the same sentence where they display horrible grammar is tremendous. In case you are wondering, it should read; "Obviously, you're stupider than I thought; my computer did crash..." I won't correct the rest, but here's another tip for you - You don't end such a sentence with a question mark.

I'm going to stop now though as I feel bad arguing with a delusional thirteen year old. All I'll say is one day you'll look back on this and realize how ridiculous you were acting. I hope you then find yourself having to deal with younger versions of yourself who won't listen either. Trust me... it's not a fun position to be in.
Old 03-22-2013, 11:05 PM

Astrus has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodlove View Post
What would be general positive/negative thoughts on a 3D game following a similar style to Wyvern?
I agree with Salkand for this. There are many games that already feature auto attack systems with similar game play mechanics. What differentiates Wyvern was the old school 2d graphics.

@Josiah It was mentioned in an earlier post that you were looking for help with JavaScript. I would highly recommend reading through the tutorials on http://www.w3schools.com/default.asp. Make sure to read both the JavaScript and JQuery tutorials. If you're goal is to make a chat box you should consider looking into the use of HTML5 web-sockets or create the site using Ruby on Rails.

To anyone who is currently making a Wyvern clone I'm interested in knowing what server technologies you have chosen to use and why.
Old 03-23-2013, 04:00 AM

Astrus the problem is I'm learning JavaScript on CodeAcademy(its a website to learn programming on) but they dont mention how to actually turn on the freaking Javascript thing.... whatever you use for it and if you dont believe me search Code Academy
Old 03-23-2013, 04:20 AM
Forum Admin

I'm sure everyone believes you're trying to learn javascript from that website. What people don't believe is that someone who needs to learn javascript from it is skilled enough in the other, much harder languages, that one would need to know if they were half-way through making a MMORPG (as you claimed to be).
Old 03-23-2013, 01:04 PM

Bullfrogz has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Send a message via AIM to Bullfrogz Send a message via MSN to Bullfrogz

I'm on hour 36 of being up straight at Penn State's hackathon, currenlty working on a multi screen open library game engine, so I may be a little bitter but I have to rant.

/beginrant

All you people commenting on how you would make the next Wyvern don't know anything. If I even mentioned the concept of node and sockets to you, yeah you could do a quick search, I'm sure, but you don't know the first step of making what wyvern is. Steve is a celebrity in the Computer Science field and his blog "Execution in The Kingdom of Nouns" is a masterpiece and known world-wide. If he ever opened source the game, I wouldn't touch any of your versions, because I bet none of you even know the first step in dealing with such a product.

The only version of wyvern that would survive open sourceing is a coding wizard who would be willing to host and understands the process. I guess this is the double edge sword to the situation of wyvern. In order for it to survive it basically has to become available to someone else to work with, but the only version that I would ever trust would be in a wizards hand. If I ever got the product, I would just host it and never touch the code.

Sorry I guess I'm just bitter that such a great product, that has affected so many people, to the point we get hundreds to come out of no where and express interest in the form of a letter that we want the game to come back up, was trashed. I understand being busy, but neglecting something that you spent years of your life on and still has a cult following and die-hard fans just because you're too lazy to go host it somewhere just baffles me. I don't even want to hear the money excuse anymore, if your working for google, your making more than enough money. Hell, with my starting salary out of college I could host multiple wyverns and still be more than well off.

I'm just bitter. As a software developer who has made countless games in my free time, if I ever had an audience that Wyvern has I would be honored and overwhelmed. Steve doesn't deserve us.

/endrant

Last edited by Bullfrogz : 03-23-2013 at 01:26 PM.
Old 03-23-2013, 01:22 PM

Brionac has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

*Starts slow clap*
Old 03-24-2013, 01:59 AM

Odolf has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

You can't make someone care, mate. It's not possible. Every programmer does a "hey, wouldn't it be neat if i wrote a _?" project and if he feels it's run it's course, what can we do? The Wyvern community is amazing though. I can't believe how many awesome people i met playing this game, and it defies explanation how this little, under the radar game attracted so many awesome and dedicated people, who really came to love it, and in some cases eachother.

I can think of many people i met in this game i'd have liked to know a lot better, especially some of the wizards, but the friends i made back on Wyvern in 2005 are still my friends today. I know that if the game came back up tomorrow i'd be playing again in a heartbeat. No other game i've ever played has that appeal.
Old 03-27-2013, 04:39 AM

Bitsey has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

oh...where to begin.

Josiah - the fact that there is any discussion of something as quaint as monolithic 'backups' or multiple copies of your source is enough to make it clear you're not ready to handle a project of this scale. Look into source-code repositories, my good man. SVN is your friend.

I say this as someone who has written several million lines of shipped source...including open sourced projects I (nearly) single-handedly wrote that were subsequently used by others to launch multi-millon dollar businesses. I've both participated in and driven software projects ranging from tiny to those involving dozens of engineers on multiple continents spanning a decade, from one-off in-house utilities to tools with 20K+ users.

I aplaude your enthusiasm! I really do. Run, Forest, Run! This is what drives the next generation of innovation. Many have set out to build things formerly requiring a whole industry, amid nothing but nay-saying and scoffing, and succeeded. It can be done. I suggest, however, you begin somewhat smaller and actually ship something...say..an iPhone app game. You'll learn a lot and have a good time. SW that does not ship does not exist...so build something you can ship, then go bigger next time.

Bullfrogz is right - 'Rialto' has rock-star status among much of the Computer Science community, for good reason...and I don't believe for a minute the issue is the cost/effort of getting a server + net connection up and maintained. There's more than enough support from the game's die-hard fans to cover that and I know what principles at Google make.

I suspect he's abandoned the game, long ago, because it's just no longer interesting enough to merit the kind of focus/effort such a thing takes but he's also not ready to give up ownership/direction setting for it. I expect nothing will happen till he decides to just let go and let others develop their own vision for it. Till that happens it'll go nowhere, really.

Finally - the primary innovation and complexity (but also, the thing that made it win) in Wyvern isn't anything to do with the combat system, the graphics, etc. It's that he developed an extensible platform. He didn't just build a thing - he built a thing that other people could use to build things from.

Anyway - rant off.

Last edited by Bitsey : 03-27-2013 at 04:55 AM.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:55 AM

Lanterra has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodlove View Post
What would be general positive/negative thoughts on a 3D game following a similar style to Wyvern? What I mean by "style" is the feel of movement (no animation), the quickness of action, etc.? I mean, without animation, dynamic lighting, etc., a 3D game could get away with behaving very similarly to Wyvern, even tiling. I was thinking of this the other day when I was modeling a goblin for something I'm working on for school, and how cool it could be to use Wyvern as a basis for a 3D game.

Obviously, I'm not a nutcase, nor do I have 1,000+ hours (at least) to put into finding a crew and doing the work on top of everything else I have to do. I was just thinking about how different, yet similar, Wyvern's style could be in 3D. Not only would it be a mostly, if not an entirely new concept to 3D games, it could stand to generate a lot of interest. What could 3D gaming learn from 2D? A lot, definitely. And this would put a lot of ease on developers - the less animating the code has to focus on, the more systems, locations, etc. can be put in place.
For one thing it would depend on the style of 3D.... when I first read this I had horrible visions of a 1st or even 3rd person 3D game done in the art style of say WoW, with no animation.... it was horrifying. But then I thought about it and considered a top-down, or slightly angled top down 3D style, using a grid base the same as wyvern, and it wasn't as bad, I've played 3D chess games on computers that where like that, and it could be cool.

I like wyvern as a 2D game though. It is simpler and has a nice retro feel. But I have had thoughts of a 1st person 3D with animation that uses wyvern's skill, spell, and guild system, I think it's intriguing.

Another thought I've had that I'd love review on is of using the wyvern style setup for other settings- my original thought was a sci-fi setting- rework the races as humans and aliens. Have laser swords, laser guns, etc. Seems most of the work would be in artwork and stating. Other options I've thought of are modern day, post-nuclear wasteland, zombie apocolypse, prehistoric, age of sail, wild west, WW1-2 era. Of course not replacing the classic fantasy world we all know and love, but offering those settings in addition to it.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:38 AM
Player Mod

Dracco has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanterra View Post
Another thought I've had that I'd love review on is of using the wyvern style setup for other settings- my original thought was a sci-fi setting- rework the races as humans and aliens. Have laser swords, laser guns, etc. Seems most of the work would be in artwork and stating. Other options I've thought of are modern day, post-nuclear wasteland, zombie apocolypse, prehistoric, age of sail, wild west, WW1-2 era. Of course not replacing the classic fantasy world we all know and love, but offering those settings in addition to it.
From what I can recall, Wyvern had a laser gun, aliens, spaceships, pirates, zombies etc.. It was not only a medieval-style fantasy game but a generalized fantasy game where any setting was possible.

What came to my mind when thinking of a 3D Wyvern without animations is that old Windows maze game where the walls were brick and the ceiling was stone but instead of simply moving through the maze it would be the open landscape of Wyvern. Kind of like a tile-based Wolfenstein 3D.
Old 03-27-2013, 12:07 PM

Lanterra has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracco View Post
From what I can recall, Wyvern had a laser gun, aliens, spaceships, pirates, zombies etc.. It was not only a medieval-style fantasy game but a generalized fantasy game where any setting was possible.

What came to my mind when thinking of a 3D Wyvern without animations is that old Windows maze game where the walls were brick and the ceiling was stone but instead of simply moving through the maze it would be the open landscape of Wyvern. Kind of like a tile-based Wolfenstein 3D.
Well obviously Wyvern had zombies :P. But what I meant was having servers or whatever where those where the main theme instead of just off on the fringes. A different feel.

Not sure what you mean by the maze game. I remember the screensaver though, that was a maze, dirt floor, stone roof, brick walls, the computer went through it looking for a yellow smiley face, and could be flipped onto the ceiling. Something like that?
Old 04-07-2013, 06:35 PM

Harbringer Of Good Stuff is trapped in an Inn behind a dozen clones
Default Harbringer Nonsense

My answer to everything in this subreddit, is to JUST open-source the game. Honestly, if we are going to have a lack of development and a lack of commitment. We might as well open-source it, or atleast pressure R to do so.

You "arch-wizards" are more convincing than us, since you actually know R, and could probably get him to get rid of the game once and for all, if you wanted.

Honestly, I just want to play the game at this point of time, and I want to keep my hopes UP. But if worst comes to worst? I have other games with better developmental models, that I can go to. But they won't ever replicate Wyvern...

I look toward the day of being the best I can be.
Old 04-07-2013, 06:54 PM
Forum Admin

This is the last time I'm replying to your nonsense (which better be limited to this thread moving forward if you're really going to persist with it).

In what world do you think now is a good time to advocate open sourcing the game? Rhialto just started his longtime goal of actively working on Wyvern again. He has plans for where he wants to take it and has gone to "great" lengths to get the ball rolling. He's not going to suddenly forget all that by surrendering all control and giving up all his plans because some wizards pester him, which we wouldn't do anyway because we are the biggest advocates of not open sourcing the game.

Now, I was saying that at some point in the future his current mindset may change and may decide to back off from the game like he did in the past. Perhaps because he only likes the idea of working on the game and will tire of it once he actually does it for awhile or perhaps because something comes up that leads him to think he needs to wait for X, Y, and Z to happen before he can work on the game again. But, that's not where his head is at now. Therefore, this open source nonsense is more pointless (if that's even possible) than it usually is.