Wyvern Forums

Review Wyvern Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Arcade
Go Back   Wyvern Forums > Archive > Wyvern Forums Archive > Suggestions
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chatbox Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Suggestions Post any suggestions for new Wyvern content here that is too complicated to explain in the idea log or that you want to first get feedback on from other players.

Old 03-16-2011, 12:59 PM
Wizardess

Teshuvah has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacemaster View Post
Give us a grouping functionality like hp/mp bars and we will gladly go group up to kill the large nasty DR beast when we bump into it. Current grouping system is based on everyone soloing while others solo in the same map. Let us play TOGETHER.
We have had this discussion and it's been addressed many times as well before on this forum and Arilou has addressed it, but to repeat. Grouping means grouping, interacting with other players, not you functioning with them like they are bots and you have their "numbers", that just has no RP value. Players using tells, talking to each other is how you keep track of when they need healed.

And I will add, without giving out names, many current successful groups do just that and do it amazingly well. Too well probably lol

So I would recommend (when the game comes back) that you try the groups with the new changes since you have been gone a long time and see how successful they are, it really works quite well.
Old 03-16-2011, 01:11 PM

peacemaster has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Send a message via MSN to peacemaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teshuvah View Post
So I would recommend (when the game comes back) that you try the groups with the new changes since you have been gone a long time and see how successful they are, it really works quite well.
I have tried grouping since I have come back and the post I made reflects my experience with the grouping system. I would like to ask those successful groups, if they are willing to talk about this, what they actually think about the grouping system and if they use any externals tools to keep track of this. I have previously used VoIP in grouping and desktop sharing only to be able to keep up with what was going on.
Old 03-16-2011, 01:26 PM
Wizardess

Quote:
I have tried grouping since I have come back and the post I made reflects my experience with the grouping system. I would like to ask those successful groups, if they are willing to talk about this, what they actually think about the grouping system and if they use any externals tools to keep track of this. I have previously used VoIP in grouping and desktop sharing only to be able to keep up with what was going on.
I'm sure if they feel like sharing the info they will pop in , as far as we can tell from logs they arent using anything external at all, just aliases to ask for healing, where exits are, what monsters who will fight etc, and really good system of communication. But Im sure others can add to this.

I will also add that I have found most group complaints , and this may not apply to you, are coming from a place of wanting to get back to being able to be as powerful/invincible, train as fast with as much xp and loot while Rding as they were before the spell/healing changes. And that just isn't happening for them and it isn't going to.
Old 03-16-2011, 01:31 PM

Omega has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
I read it, Arilou had already addressed the rest of it. It would have been redundant for me to repeat what he said. Death ray isn't changing and Arilou explained why.

It is supposed to be russian roulette with you dying sometimes according to Rhialtos vision of balance. You might want to go read that again. It is here on the forum. Trayr has linked to it many times for players.
You are always supposed to have a chance of dying , even to a goblin. So that you have a chance of dying to a few monsters that have one spell in the game is far below the ultimate balance plan. I'd venture to say there will be more spells like it in the future.

*starts to say As Arilou said and gives up* Go read it
First of all, if you were actually reading my post you would realize that I was more or less replying to what Arilou said the entire time, if you read it yet could not make a link between the two, then I suggest you to reread it another one or two times.

Next for the matter of Rhialto's image of balance...

Er well to be honest, it has been some time since I've read it but the site is down so I looked in Google cache. However I'm stumped. The closest thing I can find relating to what you've said in the list is:

Quote:
You can never "fall asleep at the wheel". You should always run the risk of dying if you stop paying attention.
Which isn't really what you've said. And even if we operate under the assumption that this is what you were referring to, it still doesn't make sense because getting away from death ray is not a question of attention. Either there are two of them or you read his idea of balance from somewhere else entirely.

Here's the source of where I read it: Click.

So uh well, we will set aside where exactly you are quoting from for now.

Now let me ask, why exactly would you want even goblins or any other random monster to carry a risk of death? What you're saying at this point is that we will be fighting anything and everything with the risk of dying like death ray.

If that is the case then wouldn't the game turn into dice rolling entirely and less about actual teamwork and skill? No matter how great and strong you are or how well prepared you are, you'll die anyway because of a dice roll. Worse yet, you'll lose massive amounts of experience when that happens.

And even worse, it happens against a monster some 20 levels lower than you!

One of my points I stated in my post is that death ray is becoming more and more common even on weak monsters, it's no longer just the "challenging" monsters that have it.

Therefore if you're going to let the entire game depend on the goddess of luck no matter what you fight, then there should at least be a good explanation for it other than "Rhilato said so".

Having a game depend on luck has nothing to do with the game being "hard". It's only irritating at best, since you did nothing wrong, only luck was against you.
Old 03-16-2011, 01:42 PM
Wizardess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega View Post

Having a game depend on luck has nothing to do with the game being "hard". It's only irritating at best, since you did nothing wrong, only luck was against you.
This is what Arilou addressed in detail. You wanting it to be different and having "other ideas" of how things should be done is irrelevant.
We do what we do because Rhialto said so and he wants it to his vision, not ours and not yours. This isnt the first time you go on some rant based on totally false info.
I will find the link to Rhialtos vision but Im not dealing with any of the other stuff you posted just because *you* think I should when I feel it's been addressed 100 times.
Old 03-16-2011, 01:43 PM
Forum Admin

Arilou has disabled reputation

*cough*Phoenix/Lifesaving*cough*

Btw, there are groups of static throwing darts in the Stensele Weapons shop and now that needleleaf traps are fixed you can easily get lots of needles off of them. They're only in a couple of places at the moment, but they'll probably be more widespread in the future.
Old 03-16-2011, 01:44 PM
Wizardess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arilou View Post

Btw, there are groups of static throwing darts in the Stensele Weapons shop and now that needleleaf traps are fixed you can easily get lots of needles off of them. They're only in a couple of places at the moment, but they'll probably be more widespread in the future.
Shhh you will give them ideas that they can't possible think of and then they can't blame us because it's too hard!! *Giggle*
Old 03-16-2011, 01:56 PM

Omega has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
This is what Arilou addressed in detail. You wanting it to be different and having "other ideas" of how things should be done is irrelevant.
We do what we do because Rhialto said so and he wants it to his vision, not ours and not yours. This isnt the first time you go on some rant based on totally false info.
I will find the link to Rhialtos vision but Im not dealing with any of the other stuff you posted just because *you* think I should when I feel it's been addressed 100 times.
Rather than false information, did I even state anything from information sources? They are pure facts from playing the game. But to answer what you've said, let us quote Arilou.

Quote:
The idea is for you to learn which monsters cast death ray and use other tactics than brute forcing them.
And that more or less summarizes what his post was about, now what does this have to do with death ray and the idea of goblins etc killing people some 20 levels higher and disregarding all forms of skill, group and anything of the sort?

Wyvern becomes a game of dice rolling. Death ray is acceptable for monsters that are truly supposed to be strong, like Raze and whatnot, but the idea of having a risk of death for everything is completely irrational.

Quote:

It's good to know that hurling ammunition will improve in the future. Although it would be nice if the amulet was fixed to properly teleport you out of the place upon death lol. Though I don't think the amulets work very well against things like DR.

Quote:
Shhh you will give them ideas that they can't possible think of and then they can't blame us because it's too hard!! *Giggle*
Old 03-16-2011, 03:24 PM

Lacuna has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

*Pops in*

Let me start out by saying that I've always really enjoyed RDs, and I think this last year or two of balancing has brought a new joy into what RDs were always supposed to be in this game.

Onto Peacy's questions: I've been RDing almost every night--with two to four others--for about the last three months. We have a really great grouptell system that, like Tesh said, includes positions of the downs, if the down is clear, who needs resists, and so on.

It boils down to this: you have to choose your people wisely. You can't just run around, run through downs, and do whatever you want to; that was the old way of RDing and I'm not sad to see it go.

We do play with a couple of external tools, although it's mostly just to help the mage of our group cope with not having four hands. In other words, when you're a mage in an RD, you can't type out full grouptells while keeping your fingers on your spell aliases.

One thing I would like to see is mage spells not harming your archer team mate's bolts. It makes actually cooperatively grouping, and not just soloing within a group, very difficult when you have an archer and a mage.
Old 03-16-2011, 03:29 PM
Wizardess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacuna View Post
One thing I would like to see is mage spells not harming your archer team mate's bolts. It makes actually cooperatively grouping, and not just soloing within a group, very difficult when you have an archer and a mage.
This has been mentioned and discussed amongst us many times. We haven't found a way to do it yet but it is something we'd like to see as well. We just have to convince Wyvern it wants to let us
Old 03-16-2011, 03:41 PM

Quote:
This has been mentioned and discussed amongst us many times. We haven't found a way to do it yet but it is something we'd like to see as well. We just have to convince Wyvern it wants to let us

I can see Jezrald now, jumping for joy.
Old 03-16-2011, 03:44 PM
Wizardess

Quote:
I can see Jezrald now, jumping for joy.
He needs to be careful jumping around in a dress like that.
Old 03-16-2011, 03:53 PM

Quote:
It boils down to this: you have to choose your people wisely. You can't just run around, run through downs, and do whatever you want to; that was the old way of RDing and I'm not sad to see it go.
I was not saying that I miss the old RD. It obviously had many problems and I am glad it is gone, the point I am trying to make is the groups are very unfriendly to players. Sure, you can make a group with people you always play but if someone comes to you and says: hey, let's group. You can't expect them to know what to do without explaining how your system works.
And well, as you said using external tools help. Do you think that hp bars would reduce the number of external tools you use, or maybe completely eliminate them?
I am just trying to figure out if it is just me who has a problem with the way groups work at the moment.
I don't want to be misunderstood. I would love to see more group interaction and group-oriented content. I just find it annoying having to rely on 3rd party applications.
Old 03-16-2011, 03:56 PM
Wizardess

Quote:
I was not saying that I miss the old RD. It obviously had many problems and I am glad it is gone, the point I am trying to make is the groups are very unfriendly to players. Sure, you can make a group with people you always play but if someone comes to you and says: hey, let's group. You can't expect them to know what to do without explaining how your system works.
And well, as you said using external tools help. Do you think that hp bars would reduce the number of external tools you use, or maybe completely eliminate them?
I am just trying to figure out if it is just me who has a problem with the way groups work at the moment.
I don't want to be misunderstood. I would love to see more group interaction and group-oriented content. I just find it annoying having to rely on 3rd party applications.
Ultimately, even if we liked the idea and we don't, it's just not possible to put another players info on your client at the moment, nevermind update it in real time etc. That would just make things worse.
Old 03-16-2011, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Our using external tools has nothing to do with hp bars. And it's of my opinion that hp bars would just end up cluttering the screen.

You're right though: you can't just RD with any random person and make it effective...but I don't see an inherent issue with this. You'd probably end up RDing/grouping with your friends anyway.
Old 03-16-2011, 04:06 PM

Thanks for that reply Tesh.
I am still interested if anyone else is willing to share whether they use any external tools for grouping, doesn't have to be public. It can be a PM on the forums. I am interested in why people use them the most.
Thanks
Old 03-16-2011, 04:23 PM

Astrus has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

When i group with my friends it helps a lot to use msn messenger for chat (team speak if its more than 2 of us) both are free and really aid in communication in not only wyvern but many other online games. Most importantly take some time to prepare when your planning on going into an rd, have short cuts ready and don't forget some potions and scrolls you might need.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:39 PM

Trayr is trapped in an Inn behind a dozen clones

Quote:

A death pro amulet is almost a necessity to having any hope of surviving a death ray, so wearing those amulets isn't that great. It does work occasionaly, but it is not full proof. There is the risk of the same death ray killing you again after your life has been saved, and the probability that now you will just die because of other spells (since your resists will expire.)
Old 03-17-2011, 04:28 AM
Wizard

Valkon has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trayr View Post
A death pro amulet is almost a necessity to having any hope of surviving a death ray, so wearing those amulets isn't that great. It does work occasionaly, but it is not full proof. There is the risk of the same death ray killing you again after your life has been saved, and the probability that now you will just die because of other spells (since your resists will expire.)
You can't get hit by the same deathray twice.
Old 03-17-2011, 04:43 AM

Steovanni has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkon View Post
You can't get hit by the same deathray twice.
Eh? So it isn't like firebolt / fear etc that hits you multiple times? I know that with 95% fear resist, it takes a while to get feared as the cone travels over me.

Pretty interesting to know that if the first hit doesn't kill you/you got saved by a lifesaving/phoenix amount, the rest of the Death Ray will just fly over you.

Though however, what if you got killed by Death Ray while running away from it and you move to an entirely new square, only for Death Ray to catch up to you as it travels, are you still immune to that same Death Ray?

Thanks.