Wyvern Forums

Review Wyvern Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Arcade
Go Back   Wyvern Forums > Archive > Wyvern Forums Archive > Suggestions
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chatbox Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Suggestions Post any suggestions for new Wyvern content here that is too complicated to explain in the idea log or that you want to first get feedback on from other players.

Old 03-09-2011, 06:29 AM

Kama has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiez View Post
Hmmmm. Kama, you bring up a similar point, but that is not really "Bad". We simply have more evidence for Goonyton's argument, which especially gives me some thoughts as to smithing Obsidian. Do you have any ideas about spells?

As for smithing and repairing the stuff, maybe the amount of blacksmith points you have should greatly affect your results. If you are very skilled you should have no problem, but if you are only "pretty good", that might not even be enough to forge a weapon or repair it successfully once out of 20 times. Basically, the curve should be late, but it should be very, very steep. You can't smith it for a long time, but once you do, it works wonders. Of course, I think it may be helpful to get the weapons into the game first, so maybe there should be a great store of natural weapons to be found, so that people can actually USE the weapon and see through experience, the value of the weapons. Either that, or maybe the difficulty to forge them could be lowered for a while, although I think this could lead to more frustrations after the difficulty was raised,
Nay, I don't know about spells - I'll leave that to one someone else. But I tend to agree with most of you've said about blacksmithing.

Also, due to an inability to sleep at the moment, I read over some of the earlier posts in this thread again, and have a few other things to add for reference purposes.

Interesting fact - Obsidian does not come solely in black, as some may believe. It comes in a wide variety of colors, my all-time favorites being rainbow obsidian and "red mahogany" (the latter's color I believe has to do with iron oxide content, btw). Knowing this, there are a wider range of possibilities for interesting game art than just 'black earth walls' (no offense).

Another thing is that Obsidian tends to form in both surface flows as well as beneath the surface in volcanic vents, though closer to the surface as the burial pressure must decrease some in order for the water content of the magma to dissipate and crystallization process to be frozen, (creating the 'glass' effect). Some of the best quality obsidian is found in those vents, just below ground level.

And Obsidian has a hardness rating of about.. 5.5, I think, on the Mohs scale. Which makes it more fragile than quartz by about 2 points, and half the hardness of diamond - being a rating of 10. (Lead, on the other hand, has a hardness of 1.5+ if I'm not mistaken)

If you follow that logic - any obsidian item, without enchantment, or perhaps being made balanced, should have at least a durability of 1/2 of a diamond item.

I know someone made a comment about picking up rocks instead of slabs, but it's actually not 'too' uncommon to come across very large obsidian deposits, some weighing up to several hundred pounds or more. I've pulled 50lb rocks out of the ground myself, with a little digging involved. Anyways, that would mean that slabs actually aren't that impractical an idea.

I realize that Wyv. isn't the real world, but being born of it, it shouldn't be too erratically different. But there's some more background information for you guys to get your creativity flowin'.. faster than obsidian flows, one would hope. >.>

Last edited by Kama : 03-09-2011 at 06:43 AM. Reason: Edited for grammar/flow :3
Old 03-09-2011, 07:22 AM

kiez has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kama View Post
But there's some more background information for you guys to get your creativity flowin'.. faster than obsidian flows, one would hope. >.>
I see what you did there...

But no, seriously, I am glad you brought up that it comes in different colors. That could lead to some absolutely beautiful artwork! It also corresponds nicely with the variants we were discussing in obsidian walls' properties earlier. Maybe the reddish obsidian could be what is dropped since the ore in it would likely make it stronger.

However, I would like to point out that I am fairly sure the Mohs Scale is not linear. So, it would be fairly impractical to utilize that as a point of reference for durability. I think a ten is ...four(?) times stronger than a nine... so maybe the durability should be something determined independently of reality.
Old 03-09-2011, 03:38 PM

Kama has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiez View Post
I see what you did there...

But no, seriously, I am glad you brought up that it comes in different colors. That could lead to some absolutely beautiful artwork! It also corresponds nicely with the variants we were discussing in obsidian walls' properties earlier. Maybe the reddish obsidian could be what is dropped since the ore in it would likely make it stronger.

However, I would like to point out that I am fairly sure the Mohs Scale is not linear. So, it would be fairly impractical to utilize that as a point of reference for durability. I think a ten is ...four(?) times stronger than a nine... so maybe the durability should be something determined independently of reality.
The different colors of obsidian all come from the minerals that are contained within them - iron oxide isn't the only one, just my favorite. But aye, I absolutely agree on it leading to some potentially beautiful artwork for the game.
Old 03-10-2011, 01:58 AM

goonyton has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kama View Post
I was reading through this thread and just wanted to say a couple brief things. Let see if I can word this the right way.. (and mind, I'm not sure if this has already been covered, but it's late and I don't feel like re-reading to find out).

I have used obsidian knives, as well as arrowheads that were crafted via the knapping method Goony has mentioned^. On arrowheads in particular, my experience is that they have a very durable and sharp edge, but upon coming into contact with something hard (i.e. certain bones, rocks, etc.), the 'point' will begin to dull rather quickly (but not before leaving quite the mark on the surface it came in contact with). Same things with the knives/cutting edge. They seem much better suited for cutting than anything else, and in a in-game sense, should probably be rather durable but not "too" durable.

I've also slipped and dropped them on other rocks before, and in all those cases most shattered almost instantly. It would seem to depend on the way they hit the other surface.

And granted, most of mine have been made rather on-the-spot, so if they were to be introduced as an addition to the blacksmithing skill, someone with a high level in blacksmithing/<weapon skiil> could likely make a much more durable item than I could in real-life.

If golems/weapons were to be added in addition to terrain - I would picture the weapons as doing mainly cut damage, and the golems being vuln. to pierce/smash. But that's just my opinion.

(And if there's the least hint of rambling in this post, I blame sleep-deprivation).

Edit: I went back and realized much of this is a re-statement of what Goonyton has said, and to an extent, that was the point. Just to clarify a bit more - these are my experiences with obsidian, and I don't expect it would operate in precisely the same ways in-game (if not soley due to the complexity of the code that would be needed), but hopefully this provides some insight nonetheless.
Thanks it is good to have someone else speak up. You did a better job explaining at lot of it than I did.

Good point on the colors. I personally like the straight black ones, or the ones that are so thin you can see through them. With the full range of red-brown some good art can be made.

I have not seen obsidian knife I think would work in a fight. In fact I had no idea were even made. Take a look here. I sure would not want to drop one, but they look good. Also if you get in close on some of them you can see the red Kama is talking about.

I did not do a very good job explaining how rare obsidian is. When you are in the area it is formed you can sometimes find acres of it. The big flow by me has 700 acres. The flow is on the right.
[IMG]http://vulcan.wr.usgs.gov/Imgs/Jpg/****erry/Images/****erry85_****erry_caldera_obsidian_flow_08-20-85_med.jpg[/IMG]

And the pieces can get big. This is not the best picture, but it is what I can find easy. When you break it, it looks more like what you are used to.
[IMG]http://www.bendguides.com/resources/****erryCrater_OR.jpg/IMG]

What makes it rare is that it is not found in very many places. The Indians in the southern Oregon region only had two places to get it and often had to travel or trade with other Indians who had traveled hundreds of miles with the obsidian. In other regions it is so hard to get they used other things to make their spears and arrow heads with.

Quote:
However, I would like to point out that I am fairly sure the Mohs Scale is not linear
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mohs_sc...neral_hardness
Take a look I learned a lot there.

EDIT: I am getting real tired of filters messing up what I am trying to say. The place is called New berry crater. Google "New berry Crater obsidian" make the first two one word and you can find a lot of pictures of it.

Last edited by goonyton : 03-10-2011 at 01:59 AM. Reason: Filter problems
Old 03-10-2011, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goonyton View Post
Confirming my suspicions. It isn't linear, meaning it is not really a good idea to follow reality here. Obsidian would wear out about 40 times faster than diamond if we listened to this scale...

Last edited by kiez : 03-10-2011 at 02:33 AM. Reason: An extra zero can really screw up your statistics
Old 03-10-2011, 05:00 AM

goonyton has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Did you look at the knifes on the first link? They look fairly impressive to me.
Old 03-10-2011, 05:11 AM

I did. The main thing I am hoping to hash out is still terrain details, but those knives are pretty incredible.
Old 04-12-2012, 01:56 PM

Lanterra has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Thread Necromacy time because I think this is a REALLY cool idea... maybe also add in a few other new terrain elements..... maybe red lava walls for the real "Journey to the Center of the Earth" lava tube feel and such (and also maybe some things such as that rainbow obsidian Rama mentioned. That stuff sounds rocking).

My thoughts on breakable obsidian walls are more HP than regular dirt walls, some cut resistance, maybe 20%-25%, either no pierce resist or no more than 5%-10%, as pierce would be one of the most obvious things for it. (I'm looking at the pickaxe specifically.) Probably about the same for smash as pierce. Maybe 30%-40% fire and electric resist.... idk for sure but I would think excellent acid resistance, cold should make it crack and shatter as it expands in place, so I'd say leave it indifferent to cold. Dig and Excavation should work, and I would thing Destruction should make this stuff EXPLODE. Add in a low level pierce damage for anyone taking it out at melee range.

I also love the idea of making an obsidian floor. Just an idea- not realistic at all, but in game AWESOME. Instead of slow, what if walking on the floor you had less control, similiar to the effects of a confusion spell. Also don't neglect the possibility of two new pit traps,one where you fall through a thin spot of it and into bits of broken obsidian, recieving cut damage, and the other (for higher level areas) where you fall into a pit of lava.

Third- I love the idea of obsidian based monsters, especially golems (not so sure on dragons, any area with obsidian seems like it would already be the obvious turf of wyverns and red drags, maybe as a boss monster)

And last, obsidian weapons. I'd say personally forget slabs of it, have crudely made obsidian weapons be drops of the lower level horde-type monsters in the area, perhaps have regressed cave-tribes that use it. And make them cheap, maybe comparable to the weapons goblins and kobolds use. Have other more valuable obsidian stuff possible, deep in hidden lairs of powerful beasts. And stick to weapons such as spears, daggers, arrows (actually arrows could be the one exception to cheap perhaps), and swords (not straight out obsidian swords, but the kind of obsidian edge wood club sword things the Aztecs are classically pictured with.

I do have one thought of a possible more powerful weapon with obsidian- the first is a well made thin dagger similiar to a glass stilleto- give it big bonuses to FW, high damage for a blade, and a SEVERE fragility problem. Maybe have a version that poisons as well. And of course Obsidian weapons would be a sweet base for new artifacts, but that's a discussion for another day