Wyvern Forums

Review Wyvern Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Arcade
Go Back   Wyvern Forums > Archive > Wyvern Forums Archive > General
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chatbox Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General For serious discussions about general Wyvern topics.

Old 12-03-2011, 08:26 PM
Forum Admin

Arilou has disabled reputation
Default Arilou's a big meanie

"Ten years ago I opened Wyvern's doors to the public after 18 months of frantic full-time development. I felt like I was on to something big -- something that the game industry would never understand. I was thrilled that within minutes there were already people trying it out. One guy even stuck it out for a few weeks, despite the bugs and overall raw experience. If you think there are bugs today, you'd be amazed at what he put up with in 2001!

Over the years we fixed bugs, added features, created content and built a community. And the player base just kept on growing. Watching people play Wyvern and become hooked was what kept me going for another five or six years. During that time we had unprecedented contributions from amazing volunteers like Teshuvah, Arilou, Legolas, Janica, Kiz the Wiz and dozens of others. I told the game publishers that you could build a world entirely out of volunteer contributions, and they didn't believe me. They just didn't understand how addictive this thing would turn out to be, I guess.

Wyvern has been held back for the past few years by technology . Wyvern's world is a rich, extensible ecosystem, and it has pushed the available technologies to their limits and sometimes beyond. Java did not offer the dynamic features we needed, and still does not today. Databases could not deal well with our loosely tree-structured data model. Browsers didn't have quite enough "oomph" to let us create a compelling replacement for the browser client. And so on. In retrospect it's almost amazing that Wyvern works at all. And right around 2005, we finally hit the wall. Wyvern was just a little ahead of its time.

Since 2005, Wyvern's core development has been in temporal stasis as we wait for the technology to catch up. Wizards are busy creating new content, which is wonderful, and we all owe them our thanks and appreciation for their continued contributions. But for Wyvern to achieve its full potential, we need to solve the hurdle of scaling up to thousands of players. And we also need to offer a cross-platform client experience in browsers and mobile devices. We need to do these things while simultaneously making the game faster, more secure, more robust, and easier to build and manage.

I still believe we will get there.

In the past five years we've seen tremendous advances in exactly the technologies that Wyvern needs. We've watched as cloud computing services like Amazon's EC2 have made massive scaling accessible to small companies. We've seen fantastic new JVM languages appear, languages like Clojure and Scala, which should allow us to make the Wyvern world come alive with far less effort than it is today. We've seen huge advances in XML databases and other NoSQL-style storage frameworks. We've seen the emerging HTML5 standard pushing browsers to become powerful enough to host full-featured thin game clients, and we've seen matching protocols like Comet that can give us a rich channel from the browser to the servers.

The pieces are all lining up. They're all still fairly new, but they all show great promise. Wyvern should finally be able to get fancy new plumbing to replace the technological outhouses it's running on today.

The game industry produces a few hit games each year that people play and forget, as well as a few MMORPGs that -- in my opinion -- lack both the charm of Wyvern and its user-extensibility. The rest of what they produce is me-too throwaway titles that they fund because frankly they have no idea what they want.

Fortunately, with the way the industry is evolving, it's increasingly clear that we don't need game publishers anymore. Minecraft has been massive slap in their faces, and yet the publishing houses still think that Minecraft is somehow an accident, a one-off. They just don't get it, and fortunately for us, we don't need them to get it.

For years I labored away on Wyvern knowing that a game's greatness is entirely independent of how it looks. And for all those years, you folks -- both the players and wizards -- have labored with me, knowing that we're on to something amazing here. If anything, games like Zelda: The Wind Waker and Minecraft have shown us that simple graphics are *timeless*. If you want a game to remain new and fresh forever, then you need to sidestep the graphics race and focus on letting peoples' imaginations run wild. I believe Wyvern has the purest vision and the best execution of this idea in the entire history of computer gaming. It might sound immodest, but those of you who've stuck with it for the past decade know exactly what I mean.

It's worth observing that in the past ten years, not one thing has changed about my vision for Wyvern. Wyvern is still the game I want to play most. In fact the only reason I don't play it is to avoid getting sucked in and disappearing. I need to get my ducks lined up before the next massive push to scale it up. For the past few years it's been a waiting game on the technology and infrastructure. Now that we're approaching the end of that wait -- or so it seems to me -- I have some critical decisions ahead of me. I'm faced with decisions about the right way to scale the game, about game balance at massive scale, about monetization while keeping the game free, about the trade-off between security and openness, and many other choices that I believe I need to get mostly right before embarking on a big overhaul.

But I'm patient. And I know you are too, since Wyvern is still going pretty strong after ten years. I think the next ten years has great things in store for us. I hope you're looking forward to it as much as I am!"

-Rhialto
Old 12-11-2011, 10:21 PM
Forum Admin

Default Rhialto Speaketh (November 28)

"Greetings!

Yes, this is indeed my first ***** in a hundred zillion years. Happy anniversary!

I basically took this year off from Wyvern. Technically I worked on it in January and about half of February, and it's not quite December yet, so I'm only sitting at about 9 1/2 months so far. But when all is said and done, it'll have been a year.

As it happens, in roughly mid-2003 Wyvern reached a certain critical "mass", by which I refer to both the number of players and the size of the code base, at which I felt I was no longer able to innovate like I'd been able to do when I began the project in 1996. There were bugs to fix, and features to add, and none of them were being fixed or added to my liking. It was just getting too hard.

Let me be precise about what I mean by "too hard". It wasn't vague or fuzzy; it wasn't a sense that things were just generally "taking too long". It was more specific than that. I had reached a point in my programming career such that I could look at any task, large or small, and I would know how many days it would take me to finish it. That ability, in some sense, is the Holy Grail of software estimation. You want to know how long things will take, so you can arrange suitable plans.

However, the Holy Grail in this case turned out to be more of a Holy Tin Cup, because the actual answer was approximately ten times longer than it should have been. That is: when I thought something should take me an hour, it would take a day. And when I thought it would take a day, it would take a week or two. This didn't happen overnight, but it happened all the same, over the course of eight years working on Wyvern, and it disturbed me greatly.

Because whenever I saw something that I thought should take a month, it meant it would take a year. And something that I thought would take a year -- ten years. Oh dear. I don't have many bunches of ten years to spare, you know. Nor do you! I knew you were waiting for these things as well.

Of course, there aren't ten days in a week, nor are there ten months in a year. But there are about ten days in a week, on average, and about ten hours in a working day, and about ten months in a year. The United States hasn't switched to a pure-decimal or vigesimal numbering (or time-measurement) system; nevertheless the principles still apply. If you're off by a factor of 7, or 12, then you might as well be off by ten: an Order of Magnitude.

That hurt me, because I knew I could type almost as fast as a regular human being should be expected to type -- something like 130 words per minute, when I'm warmed up and I know what I'm supposed to be typing. And I knew the Java APIs like the back of my hand: this might not sound like much, but if you take a quick glance at the back of your own hand, you'll see that there isn't much unfamiliar ground there. I had reached the point where I was as good as I was going to get, using my current tools and technologies.

Now someone else in my shoes might have been tempted to say: "If I am as good as a person can get, then perhaps I should try to enlist the support of others in getting my project accomplished." And to some extent, I did that. The Wizards -- notably Binyamin and Teshuvah, Kiz, Janica, Arilou, Raeden, Zerth, and several others whose names also deserve along with Legolas to be in the Wizard Hall of Fame -- these folks have performed superhuman feats and given of themselves to an extraordinary extent, all in the name of producing the world's greatest game. I am grateful to all of them for their support, and although their only reward has been the work itself, I hope that it has been worth it.

Nevertheless, I've been unable to address their needs and concerns at the rate at which I felt accustomed. Initially, the Java platform served me well, and my limitations were my own, not Java's. But by 2003, the situation had changed for the worse: Java was rapidly outstripping my abilities to incorporate its advances into Wyvern!

This is, in no small part, because Java has (as I boldly wagered in 1996 when I began the Wyvern project) become the world's dominant programming environment. I am not unaware of the power of the Win32 and .NET frameworks, nor the Gnu/Linux environment and the Gnu tools and operating system, and I study and use them regularly in my own work. Java has fierce competitors. Yet as of today ******** Java reigns supreme. In fact, the work being done on Java-related technologies like Hibernate transcends and supercedes much of the work that I've put into Wyvern over the past * years.

Alas that it wasn't available at the time. I would love to discard reams of Wyvern code in favor of well-supported open-source software, but such a thing will, as I have noted, take me ten times longer than I feel it should. So while I could take this approach, I continue to look for other solutions.

My best solution appears to be to polish off Wyvern, and deliver and run it as an open-source application. There's a fair amount of work required before I could open-source it, because open-source Java applications nowadays have certain expectations: an Ant buildfile (and Wyvern has many complex build targets, although you might not realize it), documentation of the code and data organization, a process for checkins and version control... a great many things I would love to provide, but they all take time.

Time is the ultimate constraint on human endeavors.

I've spent the past year trying to resolve these issues for myself. I want to code faster, to reorganize the Wyvern code base to be more amenable to open-sourcing, to be able to create things almost as fast as I can think of them. I've studied functional programming and mathematics, linguistics and philosophy, languages and compilers, tools and productivity, and the foundations of innovation -- all important for getting me closer to my goal.

And I still find today's knowledge, today's technology, wanting. Fred Brooks Jr. has said that there is no silver bullet, but I fervently believe that the silver bullet exists, and that I can find it.

My vantage point today is one of knowledge, of proficiency: I've studied much of what Man has to offer in the realms and disciplines of creating code and managing computational complexity. I remain unsatisfied, and I study daily to improve my state of affairs. Math every day, languages every day: I aim not for a silver bullet of 10x improvement, but a silver maelstrom that gives me 1000x. You may believe that I'm on a futile quest, but my online gaming blood has instilled the Quest in my soul, and I intend to solve this one.

I have a vision for Wyvern that surpasses the current client-server model -- a fantasy, a chimera, a dazzling white conception of Wyvern's future, in which any player can create a story of great imagination, with little or no knowledge of technical detail... my future Wyvern will be the game of the century, precisely because it's the game you've always wanted.

The technology does not yet exist. But I can envision it, and with the right people, I can build it. I am working on a proposal, a specification, a grand plan for how Internet and online gaming technology will evolve to support my vision for Wyvern. My plan requires a great Benefactor, a Billionaire of a man both in wealth and in spirit, but I will persuade such with such means as are within my power. My plan requires staunch persistence from the greatest programmers known to the World today, but I believe I will prevail. I know the way.

If you love Wyvern, or have loved Wyvern at any point in your gaming career, then I would have you rejoice, because a new Wyvern, a Fiery Dragon no less, is poised to take the online gaming world by the storm of its very breath, by the fierceness of its gaze. You are welcome to wait, to take respite in anticipation of this new world. **** *** ***

I've spent most of my life gaming, most of my life building Wyvern. If there's anything at all that I can offer you, it's Hope. I can build something that nobody else has been able to build, because I have a unique perspective -- one that only you could give me -- that will compel me to build the Right Thing.

Stay tuned ****. It might seem a long way away to many of you, but most of you who read this will be thinking of * as a year in your Past. A year in which Wyvern made history."

Cheers,
Rhialto
Old 01-03-2012, 08:47 AM
Forum Admin

"I finally located a new ISP yesterday. I've been -very- reticent to put the game
back online until I had a trustworthy one, since my old/current ISP has been getting
gradually flakier (and has consistently overcharged me by 50% or more each month).
This new guy is in the same data center in downtown Seattle, but he also happens to
live across the street. I checked him out thoroughly and he's solid, so I'll be moving
the game server back downtown this week.

It'll probably take a few days of testing before I'm confident that my firewall is
reasonably secure. And I need a few days to run through basic tests of the game
server, since I made a bunch of really fundamental changes to the database in order
to support future web-based clients.

My guess is that I should have things back up by the end of the month, and all will
be back to normal. Well, hopefully. There -will- be bugs and stuff, but I'll try to fix
'em as people report them.

None of the game data has changed in any way - the player data, maps, areas, etc.
are all unchanged from when the server went down, so the game should be able to
continue normally."

R
Old 01-04-2012, 10:12 AM
Forum Admin

Okay, so as you've probably figured out by now, I posted old quotes from Rhialto above. The first was from our big 10 year anniversary, (a little over a month before the game went down) the second was taken from Rhialto's old blog, (posted November 28, 2004) and the third was posted as part of an update for the last downtime on March 12th, 2007 (nine months before the game returned last time).

Links:
1 - http://web.archive.org/web/201102230.../cabochon.com/
2 - http://web.archive.org/web/200504032...s/2004_11.html
3 - http://www.wyvernrpg.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1052

The first two are pure irony. You could take the anniversary post verbatim and people would get excited that it was talking about our future today. The second needed some dates edited out, but otherwise it has the same basic effect. The third was just mean. In my defense, I thought you guys would catch on faster since I grouped it in with the above and it was lifted right from the forum archive. Truly, I didn't think there was any way you'd fall for it unless I moved that old thread to a private forum for a bit, but I thought that would be too mean so I left it for you guys discover it quickly so I could follow it up with this post. However, even though Frosten caught on right away, people totally ignored his chatbox message and kept posting their excitement. Funny stuff.

But more importantly than my amusement, I did this to illustrate a point... which is that there's been a pattern of lofty ideas and dragging things out. Hence why I specifically said in the actual downtime thread that I would not be posting any updates from Rhialto. I was dead serious, but apparently nobody paid attention or they wouldn't have fallen for the above. Well in another moment of seriousness I'll say this; I have nothing to do with anything outside of the forum. I don't know what Rhialto plans to do with the game right now and I have no intention of ever asking either for your benefit of just for my own. I spent the entire last downtime acting as a go between and that's just not going to happen again.

Even if he asked me to post something here for your benefit I would decline and suggest he make an account here. But, let's be real, he's not going to go out of his way to update you on his own. I could have continued this joke by posting more talk from the last downtime, including one where he said he was going to find somewhere else to host the website so you guys could go there for updates. Last time that just never materialized, this time it wasn't brought up at all. Meanwhile, old sites that linked to Wyvern have moved the game into their defunct MMORPG listings (something I had to work to reverse after the last downtime) and so many players just think of the game as gone. All the while I doubt Rhialto is giving the game much thought as, unlike last time, Teshuvah and I are not bothering him about it... at all. As far I'm concerned this is between you guys and him. I have simply taken myself out of things. So if you want someone to bother him for you this time, you'd have to look elsewhere.

In the end, I do not doubt that the game will return. The question is simply how long will that take and in what capacity. All of which depends entirely on Rhialto's motivation. Now, I'm not advocating that you try to light a fire under him yourselves, but you have to decide if you want to fight for the game or continue lurking until Rhialto does something on his own. Although I may amuse myself at your expense, I do feel bad for you forum lurkers and I don't want to leave you with some notion that there's this big thing going on behind the scenes while you patiently wait on the forums. Unlike my character who thinks you're all "bags of worthless meat," I think you deserve more than that and so I leave you with this honest assessment of the situation. It may not be much, but it's all I'm capable of doing.
Old 01-04-2012, 11:23 AM
Player Mod

Rarkvar has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arilou View Post
As you know, Rhialto took the game down to change the static IP and the game has remained down for longer than intended. Short story short, something broke while Rhialto was trying to fix a keyboard problem and that has caused it to remain down all this time. There are, at this time, no estimates on when it will be back and we will not be giving any. If, however, Rhialto assures us that he can get the game back up at a certain time, we will relay that.

We will also be using the forum to email you when the game comes back up so you won't have to lurk here if you don't want. To make sure you receive the email, check your profiles to make sure your email is up-to-date and if you do not currently have an account, make sure to sign up. If you have problems registering an account and you need some assistance you can, for now, use the game's contact email, (wyvern@cabochon.com) but please make sure that you do not use that email for forum issues once the game returns (instead use in-game mail).
You're right. You did say you weren't going to relay that type of information unless Rhialto assured you about getting the game back up.

The quote from the last hiatus however is very believable to anyone who did not experience the last one. Especially because it says that it will be back by the end of January.

I seem to be missing something here. I understand you do not want to be involved because you were last time, and Rhialto puts things off (I know all about how annoying that is), but you did say you would let us know when he assures you all when it will be coming back up. I don't see your point. You wanted to prove to us that you were not going to be involved, which is fine I suppose, but you also contradict yourself, and that isn't cool.

If you hadn't put in that quote from the last Hiatus all would be fine, but that was a bit much. I guess the reason it went on as long as it did is because no one wanted to look for the truth, because they didn't want to find it.

Maybe this will inspire people to find his email and contact him so that you won't have to.

You're not that bad, Arilou, everyone likes to play a joke every now and again. If/when the game does come back up, I would really like to see you active once again. Even if you aren't doing anything for the game, you're a smart, interesting person, and we need more of those types of people. Your help would be nice in this fruitless effort as well, but I understand how you feel after the last hiatus. If you don't, that's fine, we understand. It is what it is, and there is no need in trying to make it anything that it is not.
Old 01-04-2012, 11:47 AM
Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rarkvar View Post
I seem to be missing something here. I understand you do not want to be involved because you were last time, and Rhialto puts things off (I know all about how annoying that is), but you did say you would let us know when he assures you all when it will be coming back up. I don't see your point. You wanted to prove to us that you were not going to be involved, which is fine I suppose, but you also contradict yourself, and that isn't cool.
The thing that I am not involved in is trying to get information from him or motivate him to actually do something. I think that was pretty clear. The only thing that might have been unclear is the bit where I said that I would tell Rhialto that he had to update you guys himself if he ever wanted to do so without any prodding. However, I meant in regards to these guesstimate updates. If he can seriously convince me that he's just about ready to get the game up, I would not be opposed to passing that along to you (though that would be pretty hard to do outside of a situation where the server is in place and he just needs time to test things before letting you all in). I will also make sure to email you all after the game comes back regardless of my lack of involvement in the game as I promised to do so.
Old 01-04-2012, 12:45 PM

Bullfrogz has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Send a message via AIM to Bullfrogz Send a message via MSN to Bullfrogz

When, or better question, will Wyvern's copyright ever expire?
Old 01-04-2012, 12:48 PM
Wizardess

Teshuvah has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullfrogz View Post
When, or better question, will Wyvern's copyright ever expire?
75 years after the death of the copyright owner
Old 01-04-2012, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teshuvah View Post
75 years after the death of the copyright owner
That is really unfortunate. If Rhialto really has no plans for the game the least he could do for the fans that have been their since the beginning is make the game open source.
Old 01-04-2012, 01:06 PM
Player Mod

Irlazy has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

I thought it all sounded too familiar. When I read Frosten's chatbox message I just facepalmed. Its all good, sooner or later I will play this game again or give up on it. As is I have gone from being here pretty much all day to checking in once or twice a week. Anyway despite the initial excitement I had when I read the post I really don't feel a huge letdown or anything from this. No hard feelings from my party though Arilou.
Old 01-04-2012, 03:41 PM

Harbringer Of Good Stuff is trapped in an Inn behind a dozen clones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullfrogz View Post
That is really unfortunate. If Rhialto really has no plans for the game the least he could do for the fans that have been their since the beginning is make the game open source.
I dont think we should go the open source route yet, going open source takes a lot of preparation. We want the community to not be clustered or segmented. Also, will the open source community accept us? Are they willing to help develop further? I think what we need is a game plan.

I really dont want open-source...No matter how great it might sound..

Here are some of my ideas for the future:
-The arch wizards could run the Wyvern server on a different isp, especially if the main server is down.
-Find a way to get more people interested in polishing up Wyvern..
-Distribute Wyvern to other portable devices?

I say we all try to pitch in for a new

I look toward the day of being the best I can be.

Last edited by Harbringer Of Good Stuff : 01-04-2012 at 04:00 PM.
Old 01-04-2012, 05:41 PM

Salkand has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Send a message via AIM to Salkand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbringer Of Good Stuff View Post
Here are some of my ideas for the future:
-The arch wizards could run the Wyvern server on a different isp, especially if the main server is down.

Yeah, I'm sure that is exactly what the Arch Wizards want to do, many of whom have been inactive themselves in the past. Teshuvah and Arilou being excluded from said assumption.

Are you ready to pay a monthly fee to play? Enough so that the wizards, who are now maintaining the game from their own pocket, will want to bother with all the hassle such an idea entails.

(side note) I am purposely playing devils advocate right now. I'm not just being a jerk for the sake of jerkdom[/sic].
Old 01-04-2012, 08:51 PM

Shootout has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

I'm not sure 41 active members on a forum can convince R to care about this game. I'm just impressed and grateful that there are administrators who clearly care about the game and, even if its just a little, the playerbase. I've spent some great years playing Wyvern but downtime has become the status quo.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:22 PM

Salkand has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Send a message via AIM to Salkand

I'm sure 41 active e-mails would pester Rhialto Quite nicely as well. It would be better, in my opinion, to draft one email from everyone, and signed by everyone. And send that one (correctly worded) email to him, as opposed to 41 separate half hearted messages.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salkand View Post
I'm sure 41 active e-mails would pester Rhialto Quite nicely as well. It would be better, in my opinion, to draft one email from everyone, and signed by everyone. And send that one (correctly worded) email to him, as opposed to 41 separate half hearted messages.
This is the right choice. Preferably use some sort of online petition service so we can sign with our emails, so it doesn't look like we are just listing a bunch of meaningless forum or character names. I believe google has a online petition service through google docs, but if someone knows a better one we should actually organize this.

We would also need someone to draft the message, and it should come from the players, not the wizards. I think that would be more meaningful. They are always welcome to sign though.
Old 01-04-2012, 11:19 PM

Morgus has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

That was so believable, Arilou. So convincing. Now I remember my previous ounce of suspicion at the frequency with which Rhialto cited the year 2003 in Arilou's second post from him. At first I was a little offended and angry, but that subsided already. Touché, though. I was completely fooled.
Old 01-04-2012, 11:25 PM
Forum Admin

From the below stats we see that in late November 2007, the numbers were pretty much the same as they have been (although, yes there were two forums). Back then, things begun to pick up in late December due to increasing bits of news - R made a blog post, someone posted claiming that R emailed them, and another someone did something else to contact R and also posted about it.

When things did come back, not only did the numbers go way up, but we were flooded with players online - For long bits of the day there were some 100 people online at once & it remained that way (despite crashes/char creation bugs) until we set the cap at 70 (then it remained at that for a little longer). I didn't even get to email players about the game until much later because so many people popped up at of nowhere that we couldn't deal with more right then.

So where did they come from? Well there are those who regularly check here without logging in because they don't want to post anything. But, more so, some of you are well connected with others in the community & can get the word out to a good chunk of people who don't bother with the forums very much, if at all. If you tap into that, I'm sure you could... well, you know (though numbers isn't the main issue).

November 23, 2007 - 17
November 24, 2007 - 22
November 25, 2007 - 20
November 26, 2007 - 24
November 27, 2007 - 24
November 28, 2007 - 20
November 29, 2007 - 21
November 30, 2007 - 24
December 01, 2007 - 22
December 02, 2007 - 23
December 03, 2007 - 20

---

December 23, 2007 - 31
December 24, 2007 - 31
December 25, 2007 - 29
December 26, 2007 - 27
December 27, 2007 - 36
December 28, 2007 - 37
December 29, 2007 - 63
December 30, 2007 - 31
December 31, 2007 - 37
January 01, 2008 - 75
January 02, 2008 - 75
January 03, 2008 - 89
---

December 23, 2011 - 17
December 24, 2011 - 20
December 25, 2011 - 11
December 26, 2011 - 16
December 27, 2011 - 18
December 28, 2011 - 17
December 29, 2011 - 17
December 30, 2011 - 16
December 31, 2011 - 17
January 01, 2012 - 18
January 02, 2012 - 19
January 03, 2012 - 28
Old 01-05-2012, 05:53 PM

Shootout has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

I suppose my post didn't come across the way I wanted it to. I'm not sure 411 emails could get him to care. It just seems that Wyvern has become a side side side project for a busy man.

Believe me, though, I'm all for trying.
Old 01-06-2012, 01:13 PM
Forum Admin

Right well the numbers don't really matter as he's very much aware of Wyvern's potential if work is put into it. He just feels that he's at an impasse with the game and had been putting off deciding how he should proceed for ages now. But he does care about the game and you could probably get him to make some sort of decision just by forcing the issue enough times (you have to get beyond the replies about down the road stuff). It's worked for us in the past, though the situation we were left with was always far from ideal...

First he promoted people to the position of elder wizard on the basis that they would be given more power to change things. However, the only thing that ever really came out of that was the whole bootstrap thing... aka the tool that you'd probably know best for allowing wizards to put boulders over training areas.

Following this he was motivated to ending the last hiatus in December of '07, but his involvement quickly waned, leaving us in a horrible state as far as balance and server performance went. His eventual solution to this was the whole arch wizard thing which we were not very happy with at all. Despite that, we pushed forward and made quite a bit of progress, but we still had no ability to do anything about the server itself, making it so that no matter how much work we did, the game could never truly grow again unless Rhialto did something about it. We were always hoping to try to motivate him to do that after the whole balance/bug fix thing was fixed, but now that he has a chance to look at it, he's saying that it needs to be replaced completely.

And so we come to our current situation where he has to decide if he wants to find a way to host it while continuing to put off getting involved again, push forth with his plans for moving the game forward himself, or give up on his plans and either open source the game or find someone to turn it over to. In my opinion, he truly wants to go with the second one, but he doesn't want to build on the game as it is, he wants to do some altogether non-trivial things that he has long believed couldn't be done until a future date.

Hence, the game got pushed to the side where it became, as you put it, "a side side side project." But, once again, he does care about the game (otherwise he wouldn't have paid to keep it going for so long) and he won't just let the game die, never to be seen again. So you can either wait for him to decide what to do on his own or force the issue which, as I said, has worked for us in the past but the results were much less than ideal. I'm sure most of you hardcore lurkers just want the game back no matter what, but to those who want more, who knows, maybe you'll have better luck this time.
Old 01-06-2012, 01:21 PM

Baurus has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Arilou, the players want to help you and the other wizards get R back into this. You guys gotta help us XD sign the petition and when we need to send it to him you and Teshuvah should be the ones to present it on everyone's behalf. Kind of as the heads of the pack.