Wyvern Forums

Review Wyvern Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Arcade
Go Back   Wyvern Forums > Archive > Wyvern Forums Archive > Suggestions
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chatbox Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Suggestions Post any suggestions for new Wyvern content here that is too complicated to explain in the idea log or that you want to first get feedback on from other players.

Old 12-27-2010, 01:37 AM

Xerxes has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Question Ranger's Guild Suggestion

I've been trying to manage a high level human ranger for some time now, and I repeatedly find that I can't invest in free action potions and unicorn horns (together) to sufficiently cover my resistance needs (which are remarkably frequent in LQs and some high level areas). I noticed that with several of my other characters, I use Brown and Green Dragon Scale Mails, because poison has become so powerful, or because paralysis/confusion resistance is so necessary, yet difficult to get now.

If Rangers had mail versions of the Brown and Green DSM, or could simply equip DSMs in general, it would make quite a few things more possible for your average whipsman:

1.) With a Brown DSM/Mail: no longer need to invest in unicorn horns and FA potions, or if you were looking for a permanent solution, you no longer need to gather millions of gold to buy a collection of platinum gear (and to only solve your confusion problems at that).

Subnote: Getting hit by slow is still a problem, it's not like this a perfect solution. A whipsman just needs to come up with a clever way to deal with that, or avoid getting hit at all. It's the confusion resistance that's the most valuable here, because that's what makes my unicorn horns run out like crazy; the paralysis resist is just icing on the cake here.

Subnote 2: If someone tries to argue that that's what platinum gear is for, consider my equipment: I wear an Imperial Crown of Samhoc, a Girdle of Constitution, a Mail of Grael (or would be replaced by Brown/Green DSM-like armors), fancy white gloves, and a skull shield. That leaves me boots and bracers as platinum, but we need 4 pieces to get that full resist. I would have to sacrifice significant advantages, like my extra death magic or +20 HP, to get there, not to mention miraculously conjure up the 2M or so gold this would cost.

2.) With a Green DSM/Mail: pair it with a resistance ring and survive most poisonous attacks, which come all too often in some areas. This takes off a LOT of pressure on a stash of unicorn horns (only need to dispel confusion), but still requires those supremely expensive free action potions.

I see a lot of advantages in dealing with other melee guilds because, not only do they have the cloak space available (Wings of Fae are priceless there), but they're allowed to use some of Wyvern's most useful body armors, too. The mails don't bungle, but that's completely pointless when you don't care about bungling in a melee-based guild.

I considered posting this on the "Ranger's Guild - Serious Discussion Only" thread, but I'm not sure if it's live. After thinking about it, I also realized I wanted input from other players as a sort of self-vetting procedure.

Summary:

My overarching sentiment is that the restriction on body armor, specifically preventing Rangers from wearing a paralysis/confusion or poison resistant body armor, is too stringent and blocks any players who can't make money like machines from really thriving in this guild. I really do think that that would make a significant difference, and that determined players would find themselves capable of enjoying the Ranger's Guild.

I'll be happy to respond to questions of things I've tried/haven't tried, and I'll edit my main post accordingly. What you want to think about is: how can any Ranger obtain fear, confuse, paralysis, slow, and poison resist/immunity/dispelling at the same time? Then you'll run into the situation I've presented a solution for.
Old 12-27-2010, 09:48 AM
Wizardess

Teshuvah has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

I think the assumption that you should be able to easily get immunity to everything you listed is the flaw.
You aren't easily supposed to get immunity to everything at once.

Most use cure poison potions rather than Green Dsm.

Free action amulets cover free action immunity.

Fear can be covered with shield and potion

Wings of Fae give flying, you dont have to fly, thats a luxury, not a requirement.

Cure poison is only needed for a few monsters whose poison is strong enough to need it, you can avoid them or carry a few potions.

Of course all of these can be handled with spell if you choose to use the skill points for them. It's all about choices.

The body armor restriction has always been there and listed in the guild description. While it was bugged and let you wear things, didnt mean you were ever supposed to wear them.

Im sure players will have other input for you. But I think the problem is you are trying to play the way you used to and that's just not the way it's going to work for you. If you want to wear what you want and use whips you can do that in other guilds with slight negatives to outtrain.
Old 12-27-2010, 02:17 PM

Xerxes has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Most use cure poison potions rather than Green Dsm.
I don't think I've ever used those before, but I guess it'll be worth my time to try.

Quote:
Free action amulets cover free action immunity.
I really do need to wear a Death Protection Amulet to fight Demon Lords and Arch Dracoliches, so I can't really use that amulet. Naturally, a ring would be the best choice (I used to always use one), but I guess I need to work for that one now. Will think more about it.

Quote:
Fear can be covered with shield and potion
This is exactly how I usually do it, but the shield bungles! So I need to train extra meditation/incantation to provide for multiple casts - or not cast at all.

Quote:
I think the assumption that you should be able to easily get immunity to everything you listed is the flaw.
You aren't easily supposed to get immunity to everything at once.
I think you're right, I still haven't changed the way I think about fighting, but the game has changed significantly. I've been able to adjust to many things so far, but you're right: I shouldn't be able to get all those things at the same time unless I've worked for it (ie. lots of skills, quest rewards, LQ prizes). Thanks for your input, Tesh.