Wyvern Forums

Review Wyvern Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Arcade
Go Back   Wyvern Forums > Archive > Wyvern Forums Archive > General
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chatbox Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General For serious discussions about general Wyvern topics.

Old 04-03-2013, 10:07 PM

pruflas has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

To piggy-back off of Bullfrogz....

I'm writing this in an attempt to start fresh. I understand you feel there is no hatchet to bury, but I am inclined to agree with Bullfrogz when I say that every time I come back to this forum to participate I feel like I'm being put on the defensive for actions that took place forever ago. I was around the age of 18 back then, fresh into college and just looking to have a good time and bend the rules a bit during times of boredom.

I'm 25 now, I have a good job, a house, long-term relationship, a funny kitty by the name of Yuna who plays fetch (it's legit lol)...we've all grown a bit and I'd like nothing more than for all of us who still have a passion to see the game resurrected to come together and focus our emotions, creativity, energy, and spirit towards the game itself rather than each other. I'm not a very religious person, but I still believe in forgiveness and treating people with respect even if I haven't really demonstrated it to you all online. I'd rather us act like a team than to keep fostering an "us and them" attitude between admins and players. I offer you my respect and forgiveness and I ask you for yours.

I'd like it very much if you subscribed over at the subreddit since R has made it very clear that he would very much like to make that his platform of choice for posting updates and keeping us involved. As wizards, I have no problem allowing you both as admins to design the site as you see fit. I merely wanted to get the thing up and running with some visual "pazazz", but ideally I'd like to leave it in someone's capable hands to really make it into something great. I didn't mean to "steal" your artwork, I just wanted to get something up there this morning before my 10am meeting.

If you don't like reddit you don't have to visit the other subreddits. That's the beauty of the site, you can pick and choose what you want to see.

I could keep rambling on and on because I love to type, but you get the picture.

TL;DR Let's just all be friends and one team and focus on the good times and not the bad. I apologize for how I chose to end my career on Wyvern, but I assure you I'm not a bad guy and just want the game back to it's former glory.

(ps. didn't proofread because it's too long and I don't want to re-read how sappy and lame it all sounded)

sincerely,
this guy
Old 04-03-2013, 10:11 PM

Brionac has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Group hug everybody!

Old 04-03-2013, 10:28 PM
Forum Admin

Arilou has disabled reputation

I don't know what this team nonsense is, but I'm going to say this for the last time: If you did not appreciate my poking fun at you guys all you had to do was tell me at any time and I would have stopped. There are players who think there's this us vs them mentality with game staff and I play that up for the sake of humor (hence the silliness about eating the "worthless little vermin") but I don't seriously mean it and I have assumed that most people were in on the joke.

As for the subreddit, registering there does nothing for me. I barely want to maintain this forum, so I'm not going to become partially responsible for a duplicate of this and potentially become fully responsible down the line. Way back when, Pineapple wanted to make me a mod on his forum under the premise that it was mostly just a way to identify me as a wizard and he said that I didn't have to do anything on it if I did not wish. I explicitly told him that I do not like forums and I have no interest in being responsible for moderating the craziness that happens on them, but under the banner of identifying wizards, I said okay. Next thing I know, I'm left not only heavily moderating that forum (which was real fun when he vanished prior to the flood of spam bots that I had to deal with, not by banishing them but by editing their login information because that's how he set it up) but having to make my own because nobody else was going to if I didn't. So there's no way I'm going to set myself up for even the possibility of that happening with your subreddit, especially since I'm retired and remain here largely as a courtesy.

As for Rhialto posting updates there - That's just silly. Most casual people come here, so you're going to have to re-post them anyway and we've tried to have different sources for chatting before and it doesn't work with such a small playerbase (like the player run forum that was made to contrast Pollux's forum which died after the novelty wore off). So I think it's a waste of time and I don't care about the updates, but if I wanted to have access to updates I wouldn't need to get from a public source. So I'll stop messing with you guys if it really upsets you, but don't bother me with this nonsense. As I told Bullfrogz, I don't care what you guys do on your own with this stuff, so feel free (just try not to get yourself in trouble with potential future wizards that aren't retired from administrative work). I'm simply bemused by it and I guess I'll keep that to myself moving forward.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:12 AM
Player Mod

Dracco has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Gold

I'm going to just pretend that I know what Reddit is.

Am I cool yet?
Old 04-04-2013, 12:55 AM

pruflas has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

@Arilou: If you don't want to be a moderator that's fine, I was only extending it as a courtesy. You don't have to do anything you don't want to.

Personally I'm a fan of Reddit over traditional forums, but hey, that's me. My expectation is that the subreddit will eventually be somewhat close to /r/projecteternity, another game in development where the dev's post weekly updates. Participate if you like, or not, whatever.
Old 04-04-2013, 01:02 AM
Forum Admin

When has Rhialto ever been inclined to provide regular updates? I'm sorry, I don't want to go back to being a downer, but I expect this to die once the novelty wears off (if it gets off the ground at all) and I don't expect that Rhialto will be all that interested to keep updating people there over the website (when/if it returns). I actually don't expect him to update you guys all that much regardless, but per my new, happy-go-lucky attitude, I'll say that maybe I'm wrong and then distract you from my negativity by doing a little dance. *dances*
Old 04-04-2013, 09:39 AM
Wizardess

Teshuvah has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullfrogz View Post
The only thing that bothers me is when players come to this forum looking to help bring the game back or gather passion to do so, and they are reminded about their past.
While I understand you guys think you should have free reign because "you apologized", it is amazing to us that you trashed the game and the wizards for years and years (even after the before-mentioned apologies) , destroying and damaging things for other good players and then expect nothing to be said even in jest.

ETA: (And my memory isn't even that good, Arilou's would blow your mind - and he keeps notes!)

But as Arilou said, I am happy to stop since it apparently hurt your feelings and is the only thing that bothers you.
Arilou explained everything else quite well, as he always does thankfully, so I won't repeat it all again.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:50 AM

Hmmm..... deja vu.

Old 04-04-2013, 10:01 AM
Wizardess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arilou View Post
*dances*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brionac View Post
Hmmm..... deja vu.

Oh sorry I forgot.. *dances*
Old 04-04-2013, 11:33 AM

Frosten has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teshuvah View Post
While I understand you guys think you should have free reign because "you apologized", it is amazing to us that you trashed the game and the wizards for years and years (even after the before-mentioned apologies) , destroying and damaging things for other good players and then expect nothing to be said even in jest.

ETA: (And my memory isn't even that good, Arilou's would blow your mind - and he keeps notes!)

But as Arilou said, I am happy to stop since it apparently hurt your feelings and is the only thing that bothers you.
Arilou explained everything else quite well, as he always does thankfully, so I won't repeat it all again.
I will never forget the day you (and I) found out...lawl. good times, good times. .....

Glacio (Frost Giant Axeman) (level 30)
Then (Human Mage) (level 28)
Shoot (Rakshasa Caveman) (level 26)
Magiz (Halfling Enchanter) (level 26)
Patron (Human Conjurer) (level 25)
Dboss (Halfling Rogue) (level 25)
Old 04-04-2013, 11:53 AM
Wizardess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosten View Post
I will never forget the day you (and I) found out...lawl. good times, good times. .....
*chuckle* And how we found out, that was the best part. *dances*
But alas, all that fun is done forever.

Coffee sounds good actually!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pruflas View Post

I have R's explicit approval to use these graphics and they belong to him. See below; thanks.

I just noticed this and wanted to address it quickly for general info as it was apparently missed by some.

Arilou has addressed this indepth in other posts about Wizard owned content that I am sure you can find. While I haven't looked close enough to notice what was used, just because R has it does not make it his (or anyone elses) to use as they please.
Just something to keep in mind as you go forward and as changes/updates are discussed. Don't assume the game that went down 2 years ago will be the game that will be available. But you can read more below:

ETA: Here is the one I found most recently discussing it:
http://www.wyvernrpg.com/forum/showp...2&postcount=77
Old 04-04-2013, 01:49 PM

It was the best of times it was the worst of times..

>.>
Old 04-04-2013, 01:52 PM
Forum Admin

It was the best of times for Arilou, it was the worst of time for his tasty little victims.
Old 04-04-2013, 01:57 PM
Wizardess

Quote:
It was the best of times for Arilou, it was the worst of time for his tasty little victims.
Dance.. Dance.. don't forget to dance.
Old 04-05-2013, 01:12 AM

Halfaxe has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Rhialto seems to be looking for quite a bit of feedback with the posts hes making on the subreddit, I think he would appreciate some of the ideas you all may have.
Old 04-05-2013, 01:53 AM
Forum Admin

Is it okay if I criticize/make fun of you guys for having poor eyes for design or is that something that you would also like me to refrain from? If the latter option is the case, let me know and this will be the last time I will do so.

In the meantime - Just as the banner looks incredibly stupid with all that empty green terrain to the right, the background is horrible. Not only is it silly just floating in the middle like that, but you don't use a background with text on it as mixes with the text above it and makes it annoying to read the content on those pages. If you were to use the world map as a background (you really want something that fills out the whole page) you'd want to use a non marked design. I understand that it takes time to custom make something and you guys don't necessarily have the resources to do it on your own (Bullfrogz said he was waiting on a friend to maybe put something together). But a simple, non-decorative design is better than a shoddy one. I know you're all excited that you have something to play around with, but if you actually want to build something there, you should get serious and stop fooling around.

That's my two cents - I expect it back with interest and I expect you to calculate it based on how time passes on Rhialto's home planet.

Edit: Back to my previous negative statements (I'm sorry, I really am but this is the last last time... until the next time). How long do you think Rhialto is going to put up with the kind nonsense that we would deal with on a regular basis? I just read Kohora's post and it so beyond mind numbing that I can't imagine he'll want to deal with this for long. Rhialto said that rather than punish people for exploiting unbalances he'll want to encourage them to report unbalances so they can be fixed. But, Kohora decides to use this as an opportunity to advocate for the return of unbalances and uses the first line, completely out of context mind you, to justify that.

Also, I believe I told you guys a million times that your post heal nerf problems stemmed from us not being done fixing other aspects of the game. How many times are you guys going to go back to this? Again, what you need right now is, for the most part, enchanting fixed. Once that is done, you will be better equipped to deal with monsters (guess what? enchanting even helps protect against death) and more at the level that players were intended to be at before the enchant bug and before the botched enchant bug fix made it so you guys couldn't survive without healing. I know you guys are impatient and stuck in your ways, but I promise you that you can do quite well under the new system if you adapt and stopped whining about returning things to the way they were because "things were too hard" before other planned bonuses were given to you.

I'm going to stop now or, well, probably not. I'm sure there will be something else that will irk me enough that I have to respond. So, do me a favor and try to keep the irking to a minimum or I'm going to have to stop coming here entirely... shoot I just told them the secret to vanquishing me. Why don't I just tell them that if they say my name backwa... err. *runs and hides*
Old 04-05-2013, 05:21 AM

Halfaxe has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Aside from escaping the endless jokes of yours truly, what is the point of having this when people already have the forum?
I think the biggest advantage to a subreddit is if the game comes back online, and the subreddit is active, it has the potential to reach the millions of users in the reddit community, many of which are notorious for their nerdy and nostalgic ways. Also, about your gripe with someone's immediate complaint/call back to healing, reddit also features a voting system to bury content you view as uninsightful nonsense.
Old 04-05-2013, 05:32 AM
Forum Admin

First of all, it's not going to reach anyone if there isn't anything there to attract people. Part of my promotional scheme (once we got that going) was to make accounts on twitter and facebook and whatnot (I even wanted to put together a group wizard blog). However, those things need an active push to get them going and to keep them running. Hence why game developers go out of their way to post special information on them and try to lure people over there with promises of rewards. Right now, the only thing that subreddit has to attract people is Rhialto and once gets tired of it, you're going to have a problem. So, my point is that I do not think he is going to be there for very long, especially if you remind him of how annoying you guys can be.

Second of all, the voting system doesn't do anything to stop the annoyance because what you guys think is annoying and what wizards think of as annoying are two different things. So you guys will be all to happy to vote up someone advocating for the return of unbalanced gameplay, but wizards aren't going to want to hear that and they definitely don't want to see you twisting their words around to advocate for such things.
Old 04-05-2013, 11:12 AM

Odolf has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Wow. I never realized how much better Wyvern was in the hands of the wizards, rather than the hands of its creator... I apologize for all the times i bad mouthed you guys, really.
Old 04-05-2013, 12:07 PM

Bullfrogz has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Send a message via AIM to Bullfrogz Send a message via MSN to Bullfrogz

Quote:
First of all, it's not going to reach anyone if there isn't anything there to attract people. Part of my promotional scheme (once we got that going) was to make accounts on twitter and facebook and whatnot (I even wanted to put together a group wizard blog). However, those things need an active push to get them going and to keep them running. Hence why game developers go out of their way to post special information on them and try to lure people over there with promises of rewards. Right now, the only thing that subreddit has to attract people is Rhialto and once gets tired of it, you're going to have a problem. So, my point is that I do not think he is going to be there for very long, especially if you remind him of how annoying you guys can be.
You make it sound like we have no plans to expand the subreddit or make it look nicer. I understand R is the selling point, and I understand his history with keeping users updated is shady, but right now he is giving updates, and we plan to keep providing a means for him to do so.

I also don't agree with a subreddit needing a developer to attract users... I don't know if you have ever used reddit before, but there are countless subreddits devoted to games that have no developers in them at all. Big games such as League of Legends, WoW, Starcraft II all have posts about discussions, funny videos, balance talk, etc. and they are doing just fine without the head CEO of Riot or Blizzard chiming in. There are also subreddits devoted to smaller indie games where players discuss and watch development. (Fez comes to mind as a big one). So I think your argument a community can't exist without developer input is very weak.

Quote:
Second of all, the voting system doesn't do anything to stop the annoyance because what you guys think is annoying and what wizards think of as annoying are two different things. So you guys will be all to happy to vote up someone advocating for the return of unbalanced gameplay, but wizards aren't going to want to hear that and they definitely don't want to see you twisting their words around to advocate for such things.
Have you even been there yet or are you just making assumptions? The kid advocating spam healing coming back got downvoted and everyone replied in opposition to it.