Wyvern Forums

Review Wyvern Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Arcade
Go Back   Wyvern Forums > Archive > Wyvern Forums Archive > General
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chatbox Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General For serious discussions about general Wyvern topics.

Old 06-22-2011, 04:51 AM
Player Mod

binsenkind has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Default Guess when the server will be back up!

will it take more or less than 41 pages in this new thread ?

i think 30.12.2011

have a nice time my fellow wyvern friends, it was an honor wyverning with u all (except gershore and goldslayer) :-)

miss u thrayn, oddul and kathy
Old 06-22-2011, 05:45 AM

Kathy has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Unhappy

*sings a song about gold*

I have no idea when the server went offline, I only noticed this weekend when I tried to log on. But from what I have read, this might take a long time, so lets say that if it isn't back before 21-12-2012 it isn't ever coming back.

*hugs Binsen, Thonks and Oddul (The NVA Crowd) And Hands Teshuvah a hot cup of coffee*
Old 06-22-2011, 04:17 PM

Frosten has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

October 30, 2011.

Glacio (Frost Giant Axeman) (level 30)
Then (Human Mage) (level 28)
Shoot (Rakshasa Caveman) (level 26)
Magiz (Halfling Enchanter) (level 26)
Patron (Human Conjurer) (level 25)
Dboss (Halfling Rogue) (level 25)
Old 06-22-2011, 07:45 PM

Selene has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Just wish there was a single player option or something without the server. At the moment I dont care if I play with other people, I just wanna play lol
Old 06-22-2011, 10:34 PM

peacemaster has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Send a message via MSN to peacemaster

7/5/2012

Take care till then guys :-)
Old 08-07-2011, 05:32 PM

Thonkhs has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Default when its time for it it will be up again

i bet its the fist of april next year.

*snickers and laughs*

Wait moment did i see right. wasnīt that Kathy? Oh i miss you very much.

Rding with Kathy Mugwump, Binse... what ever.

Long long time ago, there wa sa lill rd called khaytsi bank vault...... and there where some lill adventueres on the way to get into it, just to get to know what they will find at the last stairs..................
we found lots of loot and goodies. Xipes.... where in there too and stuff... evil stuff. monos and shoggies, beholder and mostly so much fun. Traps... and Graveyards filled up with the big fat ugly and evil......... but .... its all over... till that day it comes up again.

Until that we just have to wait. hugsn coffee
Old 08-15-2011, 06:04 PM

Gate has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

August 28, 2011

..It's my birthday so that's good luck right?
Old 08-20-2011, 10:33 AM
Player Mod

Jacksparow has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Aww I miss all of you guys too though I feel as though I've been forgotten.

my guess would be somewhere around December of 2012.
Old 08-26-2011, 08:59 PM

Vozka has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

I promise I'll stop writing game reviews. I finished my first article about Wyvern few days before the first Dark Ages (c) and it was released I think a day after it started. I was taking a break for a few days, so imagine my horror when I came back and noticed it's down. But hey, it's only gonna be a week or so . So yeah, since most people reading the website are young kids, and young kids have no idea what good gaming looks like, only 5 people and Peacy noticed that the game's down (with about 1k views at that time), so a year later I just released a news saying that the game is up again .

And why am I writing this? Because this spring I thougt I'll go back to reviewing and write a few articles, and after finishing a detailed one about Sauerbraten I thought - heck, Minecraft is being updated too fast, an article would be outdated soon, but Wyvern deserves publicity, let's write something huge and detailed and awesome called Wyvern x years later! And bam, that decision started the second Dark Ages (c).

So, sorry. But when/if it comes up, I'm gonna write the article anyway, because THE WORLD DESERVES TO KNOW!
Old 08-29-2011, 06:36 AM

tichondrius has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

The server will be up when the NBA lockout ends.
Old 09-12-2011, 02:14 AM

Pooki has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

I miss Wyvern I even got a custom made shirt with my hof pic image on it lol
Old 09-13-2011, 12:09 AM

igorith has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Ya know whats funny is how Wyvern just celebrated it's "10th anniversary", but with all the accumulated down time over that 10 years its more like 8 year anniversary.

- Fortune Cookie
Old 09-20-2011, 04:19 PM

Thonkhs has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

*sits on a bench at MAH uuuh i still miss you all.* world isnīt the same without u all.

Last edited by Thonkhs : 09-23-2011 at 01:00 PM.
Old 09-20-2011, 10:04 PM
Player Mod

Halloween has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Took over a year last time so I don't see why it won't this time.
Old 09-24-2011, 05:18 AM

siarsi has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

I'm sorry but half the reason this game was closed down is because it wasn't worth playing for people who were actually fighting monsters with spells. It became boring (recently) having to wait for someone to cast resists on you to fight a monster with fire breath. This game isn't a group game, it doesn't have the interface to support group combat. Its a great solo game with components to make friends for the occasional component that was confusing to a solo player. It was being driven into a group game which it was never built to be, and it never will be.

edit: and no matter how fast bandwidth becomes across the world, latency will still be an issue

Last edited by siarsi : 09-24-2011 at 05:20 AM.
Old 09-24-2011, 09:58 AM
Forum Admin

Arilou has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by siarsi View Post
I'm sorry but half the reason this game was closed down is because it wasn't worth playing for people who were actually fighting monsters with spells. It became boring (recently) having to wait for someone to cast resists on you to fight a monster with fire breath. This game isn't a group game, it doesn't have the interface to support group combat. Its a great solo game with components to make friends for the occasional component that was confusing to a solo player. It was being driven into a group game which it was never built to be, and it never will be.
Yeah... that had nothing to do with anything. Rhialto temporarily took down the server to change the static IP and broke something (shortly after bringing it back) that required he order a replacement. After already being down for so long, (while waiting for said replacement to come in the mail) he opted not to restore the game as it was just so the server could continue to slowly die.

The issue you are trying to crowbar in here was indeed in a state of flux and therefore caused some hardship on certain players. However, working through things like this is what Beta testing is for. The game could absolutely have transitioned into being more group friendly, (while also finding more ways to make solo play fun) it just needed these two main things to accomplish that...

1) More group areas. Most areas were designed for solo play and so, in the future, we needed to introduce a bunch of group dungeons that not only provided proper challenges for multiple people working together, but properly rewarded them for their efforts with a reasonable amount of xp (taking into account that xp awards are being divided between multiple people) and/or item rewards.
2) More players. While the player numbers were kept low because the game was in such a state of flux and while the server was unable to handle so few players, the ability to find people to group with was limited. Before the server went down, we had shifted from working non-stop on the intense balance issues and had been focusing more on trying to increase the number of peek hour players as much as possible under the limitations of the server. However, the server needed a lot of work (or needed to be completely replaced as Rhialto is now saying) before it could handle the number of players it used to without lagging. If we could ever have gotten Rhialto to work on this, (as we were hoping to be able to do) not only would the number of available players gone up, but the lag issues that make fast paced group action difficult, would have gone down.

Quote:
edit: and no matter how fast bandwidth becomes across the world, latency will still be an issue
And yet "somehow" other online games have managed to be extremely popular while utilizing a group combat style of play.
Old 09-24-2011, 05:00 PM

Lanterra has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arilou View Post
Yeah... that had nothing to do with anything. Rhialto temporarily took down the server to change the static IP and broke something (shortly after bringing it back) that required he order a replacement. After already being down for so long, (while waiting for said replacement to come in the mail) he opted not to restore the game as it was just so the server could continue to slowly die.

The issue you are trying to crowbar in here was indeed in a state of flux and therefore caused some hardship on certain players. However, working through things like this is what Beta is testing for. The game could absolutely have transitioned into being more group friendly, (while also finding more ways to make solo play fun) it just needed these two main things to accomplish that...

1) More group areas. Most areas were designed for solo play and so, in the future, we needed to introduce a bunch of group dungeons that not only provided proper challenges for multiple people working together, but properly rewarded them for their efforts with a reasonable amount of xp (taking into account that xp awards are being divided between multiple people) and/or item rewards.
2) More players. While the player numbers were kept low because the game was in such a state of flux and while the server was unable to handle so few players, the ability to find people to group with was limited. Before the server went down, we had shifted from working non-stop on the intense balance issues and had been focusing more on trying to increase the number of peek hour players as much as possible under the limitations of the server. However, the server needed a lot of work (or needed to be completely replaced as Rhialto is now saying) before it could handle the number of players it used to without lagging. If we could ever have gotten Rhialto to work on this, (as we were hoping to be able to do) not only would the number of available players gone up, but the lag issues that make fast paced group action difficult, would have gone down..
I always had the feeling that part of the low number of players was the relative lack of advertising, plus the fact that 2D is less popular for the other styles of MMORPGs [despite being just as fun, love wyvern.]
Old 09-24-2011, 06:30 PM
Forum Admin

Arilou has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanterra View Post
I always had the feeling that part of the low number of players was the relative lack of advertising, plus the fact that 2D is less popular for the other styles of MMORPGs [despite being just as fun, love wyvern.]
We opted not to advertise much while in the balance/bug fix stage and instead were saving up a lot of plans for one big promotional period after the game became stable and better able to handle larger number of players. However, server stability has been our chief issue [in regard to maintaining a healthy playerbase] since Rhialto stopped working on the server in 2003. Things went from Rhialto getting it to where it could handle 100 simultaneous players, with his eye on the 250 and 500 marks, to only being able to handle 80, then 60, then 40 players, etc.

So anyway, although retro style 2D games obviously will never be as popular as shiny 3D games, if we have a server capable of handling hundreds of players at once (which really should not be so difficult for this type of game - it's a cost/time issue on Rhialto's part) the game does have the potential to be able to fill up those slots. But, in order for Wyvern to do its absolute best we'd also need to put some work into such things as; shoring up the last of the major balance/bug issues, (as already mentioned) increasing our wizard ranks so that there are more people available to work on day-to-day content, and improving accessibility.

The problem is that not only do our server woes require Rhialto's involvement, but so do a lot of other things. For example, although part of the reason we don't have more wizards working for us is that there's less of a pool of people to recruit without a healthy playerbase, the old system of promoting everyone with a little bit of potential so they had the chance to test their work and learn as they did their work on the server, led to a huge turn-over of problem wizards just to get to a handful of good ones. As a result of this being majorly flawed, (and those handful of good ones doing some talented work right off the bat/early on in their wizard careers) our standards have become a lot higher. In order to best help people to reach those standards, what we need is for people to be able to test their work before becoming a wizard so that they can play around and craft their talent prior to submitting a proposal to us. That means either a test server or a new map editor that people can test their maps in.

Again, Rhialto is needed for that and same goes for improving accessibility. To put it simply; We need a new client... as our current one has aged, a lot more people have been unable to use it to play Wyvern. Contrare helped a bit with restoring the Webstart client and maybe if we made it the default client, it would make things even easier for newcomers. However, we really need to be able to keep up with the times and that means mobile and web based clients. Rhialto had put some work into making the latter feasible before restoring the game the last time, but it would require months of work, on his part, before it could actually become a reality.

In short, Wyvern has a lot of potential. But, its problem has always been that it suffers from a lack of support at the highest level. As a result, the server degraded, our technology has become out of date, and balance/bug issues built up/went unfixed. That last bit was something Teshuvah, Contrare, and myself had put a lot of work into improving and as a result of having to do a lot of it all at once (because it had built up) it turned some people off. But we were past the turbulent early period of that work and we weren't that far off from being able to move beyond it. It was our hope that, when we accomplished that, we could get Rhialto to get involved again to some degree or another... even if just to fix our server stability issues as, again, that is our chief issue and although the other things are important for Wyvern to reach for its maximum growth potential, I do believe that a balanced Wyvern and a stable server alone can attract a healthy playerbase.
Old 09-24-2011, 07:00 PM

Trayr is trapped in an Inn behind a dozen clones

Quote:
Originally Posted by siarsi View Post

This isn't true either. Fighting monsters with spells was a piece of cake. Maybe you just weren't cut out for it. I never had to depend on someone else resisting(although when I did have the chance it made it that much easier). And as far as grouping goes, when you have a good group you can do pretty much anything.
Old 09-25-2011, 12:14 AM

Kama has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trayr View Post
And as far as grouping goes, when you have a good group you can do pretty much anything.
Agreed. All it really took was good teamwork. Right before the server went down, I had an awesome group consisting of a two spellcasters, an archer, and me (a monk). We RDed almost every night and did fairly well. Not only that, but it was ton of fun to do.