Wyvern Forums

Review Wyvern Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Arcade
Go Back   Wyvern Forums > Archive > Wyvern Forums Archive > Off Topic
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chatbox Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off Topic Discuss anything unrelated to Wyvern here, within reason.

Old 03-16-2011, 04:14 PM
Forum Admin

Arilou has disabled reputation
Default Winter is Coming

After recently reading a reference to "A Song of Ice and Fire" by George R.R. Martin, in Salkand's latest thread, it occurred to me that there might be a few fans, of this most excellent fantasy series, who are not aware of the news...

Quote:
Meanwhile... there is news. Big news. The end is in sight, at long long last, and we're close enough so that my editors and publishers at Bantam Spectra have set an actual publication date.
A DANCE WITH DRAGONS will be in your favorite bookstore on

TUESDAY, JULY 12, 2011

Yes, I know. You've all seen publication dates before: dates in 2007, 2008, 2009. None of those were ever hard dates, however. Most of them... well, call it wishful thinking, boundless optimism, cockeyed dreams, honest mistakes, whatever you like.
This date is different. This date is real.
Barring tsunamis, general strikes, world wars, or asteroid strikes, you will have the novel in your hands on July 12. I hope you like it.
(For what it's worth, the book's a monster. Think A STORM OF SWORDS.)
The dragons are coming. Prepare to dance.
And hey... thanks for waiting.
Source: http://georgerrmartin.com/news.html
Old 03-16-2011, 10:14 PM
Player Mod

Rarkvar has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

You should tell me more about this series that you're talking about.
I like dragons and mythology n what not (you couldnt tell could you!).
Old 03-16-2011, 11:36 PM

Zeofar has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arilou View Post
After recently reading a reference to "A Song of Ice and Fire" by George R.R. Martin, in Salkand's latest thread...
You're welcome. I was wondering when you were going to mention this, actually, and I'm a little surprised that it took you so long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rarkvar View Post
You should tell me more about this series that you're talking about.
I like dragons and mythology n what not (you couldnt tell could you!).
It's not really about Dragons and mythology, as far as I know. It's more like taking a period political epic and jazzing it up with fantasy elements. Lots. So, expect the a noble's illegitimate son to raise some dire wolves as purple-eyed dragon descendants plot revenge and an amoral knight in shining armor (that apparently could kill Cthulhu) goes gallivanting around. And there might actually be dragons involved. I'm a bit hazy on the details, so I'm not 100% sure.
Old 03-20-2011, 03:32 PM
Wizardess

Teshuvah has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Thoughts on the upcoming HBO series based on the books?
Apparently each season will be 1 book.
Old 03-20-2011, 06:42 PM
Forum Admin

Well, the author (who has a history in television, most notably producing and writing for the series, "Beauty and the Beast" with Linda Hamilton and Ron Perlman) has been involved in the development of the series and one of the episodes, this season, has been penned by him. Additionally, it's being made by HBO so they have a lot more freedom and a bigger budget than they would on most networks. It's been compared, on several occasions, to the HBO show, "Rome," which I absolutely loved and which George was a fan of himself. That was co-produced by HBO and BBC and, at one point, had an estimated budget of 100 million for one season, which the budget of "Game of Thrones" is supposed to rival. So, all good signs. At the moment, I'm quietly optimistic (if it's anything like "Rome" was, I would be quite pleased).

I have my doubts that it will last long though. The first four books follow the lives of quite a number of small children and takes place within the time span of two-ish years. Which will be especially difficult to portray (without re-casting) if they take long breaks between seasons like they did with "Rome" (it was a year and a half between the season 1 finale and the season 2 premiere) and like I always hear people complain they did with the "Sopranos." But even so, Arya, for example, is a little sprite of a thing and that plays a very important part in her story. The actress they have for her looks very much the part, but she's going to grow out of that rather quickly.

Then, there's a budget. They had a general idea of where they wanted "Rome" to go for seasons 3, 4, and 5. But, the massive budget led to it being canceled halfway through writing season 2, which forced them to condense everything by skipping ahead in time and whatnot. So, in short, it might make for a good adaptation of the first book, but I'd be surprised if we got much more out of it. Even if it's incredibly good, it's doubtful that it will develop enough of a mainstream audience to justify its cost (*mumbles about "Rome" and all the pea brains who didn't support it*).

Anyway, rambling aside... for anyone who cares the series premieres on April 17th. Here's a trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PxLi...feature=relmfu
Old 03-20-2011, 09:19 PM
Wizardess

Quote:
Well, the author (who has a history in television, most notably producing and writing for the series, "Beauty and the Beast" with Linda Hamilton and Ron Perlman) has been involved in the development of the series and one of the episodes, this season, has been penned by him. Additionally, it's being made by HBO so they have a lot more freedom and a bigger budget than they would on most networks. It's been compared, on several occasions, to the HBO show, "Rome," which I absolutely loved and which George was a fan of himself. That was co-produced by HBO and BBC and, at one point, had an estimated budget of 100 million for one season, which the budget of "Game of Thrones" is supposed to rival. So, all good signs. At the moment, I'm quietly optimistic (if it's anything like "Rome" was, I would be quite pleased).

I have my doubts that it will last long though. The first four books follow the lives of quite a number of small children and takes place within the time span of two-ish years. Which will be especially difficult to portray (without re-casting) if they take long breaks between seasons like they did with "Rome" (it was a year and a half between the season 1 finale and the season 2 premiere) and like I always hear people complain they did with the "Sopranos." But even so, Arya, for example, is a little sprite of a thing and that plays a very important part in her story. The actress they have for her looks very much the part, but she's going to grow out of that rather quickly.

Then, there's a budget. They had a general idea of where they wanted "Rome" to go for seasons 3, 4, and 5. But, the massive budget led to it being canceled halfway through writing season 2, which forced them to condense everything by skipping ahead in time and whatnot. So, in short, it might make for a good adaptation of the first book, but I'd be surprised if we got much more out of it. Even if it's incredibly good, it's doubtful that it will develop enough of a mainstream audience to justify its cost (*mumbles about "Rome" and all the pea brains who didn't support it*).

Anyway, rambling aside... for anyone who cares the series premieres on April 17th. Here's a trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PxLi...feature=relmfu
I am only about half way through the first book and when I saw the casting I was amazed at how well it was done.
So we shall see how it goes, all your concerns were pretty much what I was thinking about too.
They are comparing it to another HBO series (not rome) that I am not familiar with but that had quite a following..*Shrug*
Old 04-19-2011, 12:02 PM
Wizardess

Game of Thrones has officially been renewed for a second season on HBO after only one episode.

I enjoyed the first episode, while they kept the gore and other physical things in as it is needed for the story, they didn't overdue it just because they could, the way HBO is oft to do.
I watched with folks who had not read the book though which was an interesting thing, as I did not want to give away things they did not know yet lol
Comments like...
"But that's his twin sister"..
Followed by a long pause and then........."that prince was blonde".
I just smiled ROFL
Old 04-30-2011, 12:07 AM
Forum Admin

http://georgerrmartin.com/if-update.html

*does happy dance* Two more books and 15 more years to go! *maniac laughter*
Old 04-30-2011, 10:41 AM
Wizardess

Quote:
http://georgerrmartin.com/if-update.html

*does happy dance* Two more books and 15 more years to go! *maniac laughter*
Good, because after watching the second episode of the TV show I won't be watching anymore and will stick to the books
Old 04-30-2011, 10:56 AM
Forum Admin

Did it get bad? Although it sounded like it might be good, I just can't take watching things on a broadcasting schedule and so, more often than not, I force myself to wait until a series ends so I can view it all at once. It's less of a disappointment when it doesn't end properly and less of a time investment for something that ends up not being that good. Anyway, I was trying to figure out if I should do that with Game of Thrones or not - I almost broke down a few times, but if it got weird, I'll definitely wait.
Old 04-30-2011, 11:06 AM
Wizardess

Quote:
Did it get bad? Although it sounded like it might be good, I just can't take watching things on a broadcasting schedule and so more often than not I force myself to wait until a series ends so I can view it all at once. It's less of a disappointment when it doesn't end properly and less of a time investment for something that ends up not being that good. Anyway, I was trying to figure out if I should do that with Game of Thrones or not - I almost broke down a few times, but if it got weird, I'll definitely wait.
Yeah wait, if you bother at all. It got extremely cut. Won't go into details due to the inappropriate nature but lets just say the took what was integral for the story and turned it into taundry scenes with no story value unless you read the book to understand what was supposed to happen.
What is the point of doing a whole book per season if you have to cut out this much stuff? *shakes head* Shoulda just made a 2 hour movie that we all would have ignored.
So they kept in what would keep viewers titalated and cut out why that stuff was happening in the first place....
They added things, removed things etc. Making things appear much different than the book etc.
Aged characters....left out everything about Brans visions while unconsious.. I could go on and on..
The maestr's chains are wrong......
*Shakes head* and thats just the second episode.
Totally shocked me after the authors promises.
Old 04-30-2011, 12:23 PM
Wizard

Valkon has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Isn't that what happens to all good books, rarely seen a movie that was any good after reading the book.
Old 04-30-2011, 12:42 PM
Wizardess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkon View Post
Isn't that what happens to all good books, rarely seen a movie that was any good after reading the book.
Sadly yes, but the author promised us it wouldnt with this one since the books are 800+ pages lol
Old 04-30-2011, 08:00 PM

Salkand has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Send a message via AIM to Salkand

Didn't you know tesh, fantasy authors lie, it's part of their job. RJ promised us WOT fans that AMOL would be 1 book, even if he had to make it 10k pages. Well, with his passing, and me waiting for the 3rd and final book of the "last book" to come out . . . *shrugs* authors lie.
Old 04-30-2011, 08:10 PM
Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salkand View Post
Didn't you know tesh, fantasy authors lie, it's part of their job. RJ promised us WOT fans that AMOL would be 1 book, even if he had to make it 10k pages. Well, with his passing, and me waiting for the 3rd and final book of the "last book" to come out . . . *shrugs* authors lie.
I don't think "lie" means what you think it means.
Old 05-01-2011, 01:35 AM

Lie
–noun

a false statement made with deliberate intent to deceive; an intentional untruth; a falsehood.

Ok, maybe its not always deliberate, but I think the use of that word in the definition is debatable.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:44 AM
Wizardess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salkand View Post
Lie
–noun

a false statement made with deliberate intent to deceive; an intentional untruth; a falsehood.

Ok, maybe its not always deliberate, but I think the use of that word in the definition is debatable.
Yes, Arilou is correct. Your use of the word in your previous post doesnt fit this definition.
Old 05-01-2011, 09:05 AM
Forum Admin

Lie ≠ die. If you promise something, fully intending to follow through and then you die, unable to fulfill that promise, you did not lie. You expressed your honest intentions and then, due to uncontrollable circumstances, were unable to follow through. So you can't blame the author and label him a liar. You can, however, blame the estate/publishers for not honoring the author's wishes. But you did not do that. Instead you took what Teshuvah said to try and spotlight your own frustrations in a most Salkand-ish way (aka the wrong way).
Old 05-01-2011, 10:03 AM

-_-

. . . Arilou, take the humor for a chuckle and keep walking (goes back to ignoring Arilou).
Old 01-02-2016, 12:50 PM
Forum Admin

12-30-2011, 12:59 AM:

Now that "A Dance With Dragons" finally came out this past summer, we can begin the 5 year wait anew in beveled anticipation of... "The Winds of Winter." But for any of you new fans to the series who are not used to such anguish and just can't take waiting for your next foray into Westeros, author George RR Martin posted an excerpt from the next book on his website. I am abstaining from reading it, but I thought it might interest some of you.

Link: http://georgerrmartin.com/if-sample.html

Oh and btw, apparently 100 pages for the new book have been completed thus far so... only 10,000 more to go.

Nouveau: L'hiver est pas venir pour maintenant. http://grrm.livejournal.com/465247.html