Wyvern Forums

Review Wyvern Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Arcade
Go Back   Wyvern Forums > Archive > Wyvern Forums Archive > General
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chatbox Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General For serious discussions about general Wyvern topics.

Old 03-01-2013, 06:58 PM
Player Mod

Dracco has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josiah View Post
...and make it so you still have all the normal stuff in Wyvern but you can also buy things.... One of the best ways is to be able to buy items if your to lazy to find them or you're just to low of a level and wanna make some gold or something......

P.S I know for sure some of these ideas are really popular in a bunch of games. And is Wyvern really coming back in a month?
"Item malls" or "pay-to-win" systems make a game terrible for obvious reasons. I'm fine with the "hats" system of video game profit though (ex. Team Fortress 2 and DotA 2).

As for Wyvern coming back, yes, Wyvern always comes back on 4/1/20XX.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:02 PM
Forum Admin

Arilou has disabled reputation

People don't hate you so much as they are amused by you.

Anyway, Rhialto used to have a donate link when the game was more popular, but it didn't carry over to the new website after the game came back up the first time. The service he used was through Amazon and if you used a direct link you'd see that the account was shut down (I would guess that had something to do with his no longer working there). So donations clearly didn't cover his operating costs otherwise he wouldn't have done away with it and, in fact, he regularly talked about losing a bunch of money on the game all throughout that period of time. Therefore, if it wasn't working when Wyvern had a large(r) playerbase, it's not going to work now.

You might get higher value donations with the promise of the game, but I suggested he do that the last time the game went down and he didn't acknowledge it. So, as I've told other people who brought this up, you're welcome to try suggesting that to him again (he doesn't read the forums so posting your ideas here does nothing). Just keep in mind that there are even less people around than we had during the last downtime and keep in mind that server costs are an ongoing problem. You can maybe raise enough money to buy a new server, but once the game comes back, there's a good chance people will become complacent with donations and that wouldn't do Rhialto much good when those monthly server bills come in.

Cash shops, meanwhile, are something Rhialto has always wanted to avoid. It creates an unfair unbalance between people who can't/won't pay and those who do. If he had to charge money for things, he always said that he rather stick to non-important items like the right to have a hof image. Again, if you want to try to change his mind, feel free. However, again, keep in mind that the playerbase is pretty low and a bunch of work would need to be done to increase it to the level where a cash shop would be effective. You not only need to be able to attract a certain number of people, but you need to attract the right people and most of the few still around played Wyvern because they wanted a free game, not a money sink. The bigger problem, though, is that money is only part of the issue - It really boils down to time and he's not going to give up his job at Google to update Wyvern so he can try charging people for it or things in it.

Oh and btw, look, here's a thread that actually had to do with your topic. Doesn't your post fit so much better here than being put in a thread that was just designated for a very specific [and different] topic to undo a derailing effort by a certain someone with poor spelling?
Old 03-02-2013, 12:16 AM

Rayz has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Hey guys,

I am no boffin in this field. I don't know how much the costs are, but I will pledge to pay $50 monthly with no additional prerogatives until R is able to utilize the Google server. It was a great game. This might be futile, but at least I attempted, lol.
Old 03-02-2013, 07:58 AM

Exile has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josiah View Post
I know a lot of you hate me(Which I really don't care lol)
But if you lose money from it make a Donate button(I know of a lot of people that would donate in return for being able to play some people actually pay like $40 a month or more) and make it so you still have all the normal stuff in Wyvern but you can also buy things.... One of the best ways is to be able to buy items if your to lazy to find them or you're just to low of a level and wanna make some gold or something...... Yup.... Thats my Suggestion and don't bother making complaints about my bad grammar or whatever im much better then a lot of idiot tht tlk lik tis....

P.S I know for sure some of these ideas are really popular in a bunch of games. And is Wyvern really coming back in a month?
If people could buy anything I would prefer that it be something that doesn't directly affect gameplay or lead to unbalancing. Costumes and other things that can change appearance without giving any advantages in battle is one thing I can think of and I know many people (myself included) would buy them. But there used to be a donate button but I think R took it down at some point, or I just never really looked at it.
Old 03-11-2013, 06:11 PM

Josiah has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

I know buying stuff that other people cant is dumb but if they made it so you can buy normal items instead of super powerful things you cant get without buying then that would be cool. and changing appearances is a good way too