Wyvern Forums

Review Wyvern Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Arcade
Go Back   Wyvern Forums > Archive > Wyvern Forums Archive > Off Topic
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chatbox Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off Topic Discuss anything unrelated to Wyvern here, within reason.

View Poll Results: Which course sounds most interesting?
(Foundations of) Computer Graphics 3 30.00%
(Introduction to) Artificial Intelligence 3 30.00%
(Introduction to) Digital Integrated Circuits 1 10.00%
Efficient Algorithms and Intractable Problems 3 30.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-11-2012, 01:05 AM

Xerxes has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Post What class would YOU take first?

So, I have options next semester. Here are some classes I'm considering (out of requirement or interest). Select the one that you would want to take more than any of the others!

If you want course descriptions, look them up. I go to UC Berkeley.

EDIT: Decided to just post them for you.

Graphics:
Quote:
Techniques of modeling objects for the purpose of computer rendering: boundary representations, constructive solids geometry, hierarchical scene descriptions. Mathematical techniques for curve and surface representation. Basic elements of a computer graphics rendering pipeline; architecture of modern graphics display devices. Geometrical transformations such as rotation, scaling, translation, and their matrix representations. Homogeneous coordinates, projective and perspective transformations. Algorithms for clipping, hidden surface removal, rasterization, and anti-aliasing. Scan-line based and ray-based rendering algorithms. Lighting models for reflection, refraction, transparency.
AI:
Quote:
Basic ideas and techniques underlying the design of intelligent computer systems. Topics include heuristic search, problem solving, game playing, knowledge representation, logical inference, planning, reasoning under uncertainty, expert systems, learning, perception, language understanding.
IDC:
Quote:
CMOS devices and deep sub-micron manufacturing technology. CMOS inverters and complex gates. Modeling of interconnect wires. Optimization of designs with respect to a number of metrics: cost, reliability, performance, and power dissipation. Sequential circuits, timing considerations, and clocking approaches. Design of large system blocks, including arithmetic, interconnect, memories, and programmable logic arrays. Introduction to design methodologies, including hands-on experience.
Algorithms:
Quote:
Concept and basic techniques in the design and analysis of algorithms; models of computation; lower bounds; algorithms for optimum search trees, balanced trees and UNION-FIND algorithms; numerical and algebraic algorithms; combinatorial algorithms. Turing machines, how to count steps, deterministic and nondeterministic Turing machines, NP-completeness. Unsolvable and intractable problems.

"Strike the earth!" - Dwarf Fortress

Xerxes the Human Hall of Famer (Level 28)
Shatter the Dwarven Hall of Famer (Level 28)
Rumor the Rakshasa Hall of Famer (Level 25)

Last edited by Xerxes : 04-11-2012 at 01:14 AM.
Old 04-11-2012, 04:59 AM

Steovanni has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

I have a friend taking an artificial intelligence paper and he says it can be frustrating at times, especially dealing with programming languages like Prolog.

Although, everyone has different opinions so even if you pick the most voted course, you may end up hating it. Just pick what you personally feel is the most interesting.

Last edited by Steovanni : 04-11-2012 at 05:02 AM.
Old 04-12-2012, 04:54 AM

Machuno Besar has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steovanni View Post
Although, everyone has different opinions so even if you pick the most voted course, you may end up hating it. Just pick what you personally feel is the most interesting.
I was going to say "I voted AI out of personal interest, you should just pick what seems nice to you", but after reading what the algorithms class teaches I would recommend that one because the concepts from this class will help you in your whole comp sci career.
Basically, the algorithms class should be mandatory.
Old 04-13-2012, 03:39 AM

Xerxes has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Steovanni: The course is taught in Python. It's also the most popular CS class at Berkeley.

Machuno: The algorithms course -is- mandatory. I just have several semesters to take it. Nice guess, though!

"Strike the earth!" - Dwarf Fortress

Xerxes the Human Hall of Famer (Level 28)
Shatter the Dwarven Hall of Famer (Level 28)
Rumor the Rakshasa Hall of Famer (Level 25)
Old 04-13-2012, 01:35 PM
Player Mod

Dracco has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

I voted IDC since the poll is about which one I'd personally take and that course would help me the greatest in the automotive industry as my current knowledge of IC's is somewhat limited (I can, for the most part, diagnose them easily but could not even begin to design one). Although if I were to recommend which class for you to take, it'd be algorithms since it would benefit you the most.