Wyvern Forums

Review Wyvern Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Arcade
Go Back   Wyvern Forums > Archive > Wyvern Forums Archive > Off Topic
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chatbox Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off Topic Discuss anything unrelated to Wyvern here, within reason.

Old 04-16-2013, 04:33 PM

Odolf has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Default So, what do you people read?

Hello everyone, Odolf/Kisho/Curare/who cares here. I was just wondering to myself what everyone here enjoys reading for fun?

Recently i've been re-reading a lot of my old favorites, lots of science fiction with fantasy on the horizon. Currently re-reading Genesis Quest by Donald Moffitt, and reading for the first time The Long Hunt, of the excellent Mageworlds series, by Debra Doyle and James D Macdonald. If you like space opera i'd highly recommend Mageworlds, and you can get them all on kindle. (Inevitable kindle lovers vs haters war begins)

I'm also a huge fan of Terry Pratchett's Discworld series, and if you don't know what that is and you're interested in starting it i'd suggest reading "Small Gods" first, as it's probably the best one to start with (i keep several paperbacks in real life just to give to people).

As far as my background in reading goes, it's probably about 60/40 with sci-fi and fantasy. I've tried to branch out into military fiction, thrillers, and other stuff, but they just don't keep me reading like those two do, which is not to say that i don't enjoy them. I was very surprised that i actually really enjoyed a Jack Reacher book my dad gave me, but again, not enough to buy more.

So! That's a whole lot of pointless blather about my reading tastes and i could probably write another ten pages on them, but i'd really like to know what you guys enjoy reading! Anyone?
Old 04-16-2013, 04:37 PM
Player Mod

Dracco has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

I don't read anything other than occasional news and science articles. My ability to comprehend fiction stories is null.
Old 04-16-2013, 04:50 PM
Forum Admin

Arilou has disabled reputation

I've been largely focused on historical reading lately. I recently said in the chatbox that I was re-reading the Alexiad which a 12th century account of the Byzantine emperor Alexios' reign by his daughter, Anna Komnene. Since then I also re-read "Digenis Arkritas: The Two-Blood Border Lord" which is a Byzantine epic poem along the lines of "Beowulf" and I bought some new historical texts on Byzantine history (oh Frankopan - how you do so love to push the idea that the Venetian trade concessions happened in 1092 instead of in 1082).

I also got some of my old college anthologies out and have been re-reading a few stories/poems as well as looking for interesting things that weren't covered in my classes. For example, I've gone over "Sir Gawain and the Green Knight" again as it also reminded me a bit of Digenis Arkritas and I wanted to read all of Chaucer's the Canterbury Tales since the class that assigned it only did portions of it and I'm in that medieval/crusader mindset of late. But I was quickly reminded of how annoying it is to read and didn't get very far. At the moment I'm taking a writing break, so I'm not reading anything just this second. But I'll probably be turning to the fantasy books in my to-read pile shortly.
Old 04-16-2013, 05:08 PM
Wizardess

Teshuvah has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

How does one follow that? Wow!

Most of what I read wouldnt be of interest to most of you, I read mostly mysteries. But I also read a lot of victorian and steampunk fiction.
I just started "Cold Magic" (The 1st book in The Spiritwalker Trilogy), a 600+ page book. It is slightly verbose at the moment because the first book is setting up a lot of politics and an alternate timeline for the 1800s. (Including roman/phoenician back story etc).. But the story line so far is fascinating and unusual.
Old 04-16-2013, 05:15 PM

Wow! Sheesh, Arilou, i had no idea you were such a history nut! I love history and i love learning about it, but the historical texts i've read are either too dry or too alien to hold my attention, admittedly though the last time i tried i was a teenager, so who knows now?

Tesh, that sounds really interesting, and as far as mysteries, do you like Agatha Christie? Or perhaps Dorothy Sayers? I love Agatha Christie's work, even though she tends towards the "Surprise, i never mentioned this before but it turns out to be a key part of the solution!" ending. I've had Nero Wolfe recommended to me many times, but my to-read pile is huge, any opinion on that?
Old 04-16-2013, 05:23 PM
Wizardess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odolf View Post
Tesh, that sounds really interesting, and as far as mysteries, do you like Agatha Christie? Or perhaps Dorothy Sayers? I love Agatha Christie's work, even though she tends towards the "Surprise, i never mentioned this before but it turns out to be a key part of the solution!" ending. I've had Nero Wolfe recommended to me many times, but my to-read pile is huge, any opinion on that?
Yes, I've read most of Dame Christie's work, she's a favorite, as well as Ms. Sayers! Many I've read more than once, they are old friends!

I haven't read Nero Wolfe but have had him recommended to me many, many times,also. But I have 40+ books on my kindle waiting for me to get through, (and several hundred others just waiting) so I'll get to him eventually! Maybe!

I am a fan of Cozy Mysteries in general, something relaxing to read at night before sleep. I read many more recent series in that genre. I love the Cat Who series, sadly the author of 30+ books in the series, Lilian Jackson Braun, passed away last year in her 90s.

I own every one of the "Murder She wrote" books (not the tv series lol)
I am a fan of long series with lots of character development so you get to know them.

Have you read "Wool"? That's a very unusual "series" of novellas that I enjoyed.. very unusual....

I hate Twilight, and the Harry Potter stuff, but I really enjoyed the Hunger Games even though I went into it not wanting to like it at all.
Old 04-16-2013, 05:31 PM

My mother (whose bookshelves i thoroughly pilfered as a teen) had all of the Cat Who series, and i've always thought i should read them. I suppose now i finally will next time i'm down there! I've never heard of the Wool series before, are they mysteries too?

As far as Hunger Games goes, i had much the same experience. My girlfriend absolutely adored them, especially the first one, and so i read them. The first one really did blow my expectations away, and i suppose i enjoyed the other two as well, even though the author seemed to go off her happy pills between books one and two.
Old 04-16-2013, 05:43 PM
Wizardess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odolf View Post
My mother (whose bookshelves i thoroughly pilfered as a teen) had all of the Cat Who series, and i've always thought i should read them. I suppose now i finally will next time i'm down there! I've never heard of the Wool series before, are they mysteries too?

As far as Hunger Games goes, i had much the same experience. My girlfriend absolutely adored them, especially the first one, and so i read them. The first one really did blow my expectations away, and i suppose i enjoyed the other two as well, even though the author seemed to go off her happy pills between books one and two.
Be sure to give the Cat Who series a few books chance The first 2 books were written some 15 years before the third lol So there is some needed time to adjust! I reread them regularly (The last book is trash and was obviously not written by her but I wont ruin it lol)

Yeah, the 2nd and 3rd felt very rushed in the Hunger Games series. "We've got a hit! HURRY MORE!!" kinda thing....but I did enjoy them, apparently more than most people.

Wool.. How to explain Wool..........It sorta is a mystery and sorta scifi and sorta apocalyptic.... lol The first one will blow your mind LOL
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wool_(series)

I read 1 or 2 books a week usually (Unless they are 600 pages!). We are voracious readers in this house and choose to read rather than have the babble box on at night. (thank goodness for DVR!).
Old 04-16-2013, 05:46 PM

I'll put them on my list, thanks!
Old 04-16-2013, 05:49 PM

Andron has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

I started reading Wool a while back. I still have it on my iPad, it's definitely a little unusual. I think I'll go back and restart it.
Old 04-16-2013, 05:50 PM
Wizardess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andron View Post
I started reading Wool a while back. I still have it on my iPad, it's definitely a little unusual. I think I'll go back and restart it.
*nodnodnod* You should!
Old 04-16-2013, 06:14 PM

I probably will this weekend. Once I start reading a book I don't usually stop until I finish. That and I prefer to finish things I've paid for.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:20 PM

Bullfrogz has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Send a message via AIM to Bullfrogz Send a message via MSN to Bullfrogz

I recommend A Song of Ice and Fire to any of those that have not read them yet.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:37 PM
Wizardess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andron View Post
I probably will this weekend. Once I start reading a book I don't usually stop until I finish. That and I prefer to finish things I've paid for.
Ah you paid for it? I got the first one free. Then bought the rest lol
Old 04-16-2013, 09:14 PM
Forum Admin

Arilou has disabled reputation

History was my bread and butter, pre-fantasy. I used to read a ton of children's books growing up like the "Choose Your Own Adventure" series. I literally tore through hundreds of them, (and yes, Teshuvah, I am such a pack rat that I still have them all boxed up in my basement) but I stopped after 6th grade as that was what the reading level on my latest series went up to and I thought it would be beneath me to keep reading them (this will sound familiar to those of you who have heard me rant about adults reading Harry Potter and watching cartoons). The problem is that I didn't have any transitional books as I wasn't ready for adult novels (I read a few here and there but it took me a week or so to get through them) and the books they assigned in school were horrible. So basically all I read through the rest of middle/high school were books about history/mythology and although I primarily read fiction now I still maintain a collection of those types of books in my to-read pile. So, yeah, I love history/mythology and it's why I like fantasy as it draws heavily from those two sources (I still maintain my dislike of Sci Fi and Sci Fi people though).

Anyway, when I do return to fantasy I think I'll go with the "Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn" trilogy by Tad Williams. Anyone know this series/author? I selected the books while in Barnes and Noble because they were lengthy tomes that seemed interesting based on their back covers. But, I actually don't know anything about them and have been putting off reading them for the longest time because I'd be going in blind and usually I like to research fantasy books ahead of time. They've been overlooked too long though and need attention. I have some more non-fantasy books/stories to get to and then by June I'll be back my swords and sorcerers.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:31 PM

If you want a truly amazing ( and looong!) sword and sorcery series, i'd highly recommend Raymond E Feist's Magician series. At least, the first 5 books. "Magician" is a really REALLY awesome book, i cannot stress that enough! It was split into 2 and mostly that's what you find these days, but it is totally worth a read. The Magician trilogy is Magician -> Silverthorn -> A Darkness at Sethanon and they are fantastic. Silverthorn is the low point and suffers from being the middle book, but it's still worth a read.

On top of that, Raymond Feist is kind of an amatuer as far as writing style is concerned (though he improves over the series) so that may bother you. He doesn't make any overt spelling or grammar mistakes or anything, it's just his language may be a little crude if you're used to reading the greats. That being said, the story is WELL worth any distaste you may have for the relative simplicity of the language. I recently loaned my copy to my mom (she's a Yale graduate and English teacher) and she went into it ready to hate it, but after finishing it she agrees with me.

Man, he should give me 5% of sales or something. Seriously though, it's an excellent and thoroughly enjoyable fantasy read. Also i'm a sucker for a story with good (read: powerful, arrogant, avaricious and lofty) dragons.
Old 04-16-2013, 10:53 PM
Player Mod

Clubbz has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

I enjoy anything from medieval fantasy, usually. The book I most recently purchased was the Cleric Quintet by R.A. Salvatore. I'm not too far into it yet, as it's all five books from the series bound together as one giant novel, but I'm enjoying what I've read so far. I was hoping to be further in it by now, but I don't get as much to read as I'd like.
Old 04-17-2013, 12:54 AM

The Shadow Dance Trilogy by David Dalglish is pretty good as well.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:32 AM

rilian has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Send a message via MSN to rilian

Other than Loius La'mour books(i've read about 50 of those) The Cleric Quintet is the only other books I have ever really got into. I greatly enjoyed them Clubbz. I highly recomend you finish them.
Old 04-17-2013, 11:17 AM

Crier has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Send a message via AIM to Crier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arilou View Post
Anyway, when I do return to fantasy I think I'll go with the "Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn" trilogy by Tad Williams. Anyone know this series/author? I selected the books while in Barnes and Noble because they were lengthy tombs that seemed interesting based on their back covers. But, I actually don't know anything about them and have been putting off reading them for the longest time because I'd be going in blind and usually I like to research fantasy books ahead of time. They've been overlooked too long though and need attention. I have some more non-fantasy books/stories to get to and then by June I'll be back my swords and sorcerers.
Tad Williams is an amazing author, I loved his Otherland series, but I am guessing it would be too Sci-Fi for you. His new book "Dirty Streets of Heaven" was ones of the books you just burst out laughing while reading it. It's set in a contemporary time to ours, and isn't really fantasy but kinda...and the whole thing is written like a Noir film, really entertaining.

However, I never read "Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn" from him but judging by his other works, I would say go ahead and try it out anyway.
"Big Brother in the form of an increasingly powerful government and in an increasingly powerful private sector will pile the records high with reasons why privacy should give way to national security, to law and order [...] and the like." - Justice William O. Douglas

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security would deserve neither and lose both." -Benjamin Franklin