Wyvern Forums

Review Wyvern Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Arcade
Go Back   Wyvern Forums > Archive > Wyvern Forums Archive > Wyvern Development
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chatbox Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Wyvern Development Here you can discuss anything and everything involving creating your own content for Wyvern. Have a problem with an arch file or a map? Want to show off something you've been working on? If so this is the place for you.

Old 07-31-2016, 02:14 PM
Player Mod

Jacksparow has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Default End Game Content

Quite often a lot of video games I have found fail to retain their end-game correctly and I would like to have a discussion on what I feel would make Wyvern have a very successful endgame in itself.

End Game in multiple games I've played is done very differently. I wont delve into Player vs. Player (PvP) as I don't feel PvP to be a true end game ideology because anyone can create an environment where PvP is acceptable at any level or stage in a game.

This is how a few games do their endgame and the flaws I see in them.

World of Warcraft
I'll start with the game I have been currently playing. World of Warcraft revolves it's endgame around increasingly difficult raid bosses. They release a new raid roughly every 4-6 months give or take. This is nice because it gives a stable new content release periodically to keep their player base interested. But the major flaw in this is that because the armor and weapon increase from the new bosses is so significant that any previous boss is made obsolete. This is even more significant when a new expansion is done. This make doing older content unnecessary aside from those who like how gear looks or wants a mount. I find this to be the largest flaw of WoW as the content creators for those older areas have their hard work essentially sidelined for people to not care about anymore.

Guild Wars
Guild Wars (this is the original not GW2) is a game I also played quite a bit. It was a game that had it's max level being 20 and no higher even with new expansions. Which I feel was the right way to go about a video game. However it had no increase in how gear was done, and getting the strongest stats and items could take a day or less worth of effort. This made it so there became no challenge in the game. But content from all expansions was worth doing because it revolved around getting more cosmetically appealing items from each expansion. The final area form each expansion had bosses/zones worth doing because the materials you collected from them were still seen as valuable.

Runescape
This is the game I feel does endgame correctly. Every boss in this game is worth killing because all the items from them are seen as valuable in their own sense. I wont delve into the skilling aspect of Runescape because that's where it does MMOs wrong in my opinion. I don't think you should have to play a game for 100+ hours to reach the end game content but I don't think you should be able to do it in 1 day as Guild Wars is. But I digress. Runescape has an excellent way of making it so that newer bosses buff up older items instead of replacing them. By doing this you essentially make it so that players of all skills are able to have a previous end-game that isn't obsolete.

How I would do an endgame for Wyvern.

My idea on how an endgame could be done.

Create an item that is wanted but not compeltely over-the-top powerful. An example I'll use is resistance rings because they are commonly used by everyone. My thought is that if an area was made challenging enough and into a miniquest requiring multiple aspects of work. I've suggested before a boss that needs both melee and magic users to kill. (I don't think creating a ranged (Archer type) required boss would work due to how resistances are done on monsters from my understanding). But making a boss need a ranged attack and melee attack to kill is doable. This would make a group miniquest area. The reward would be resistance rings that go up to 30% resistance. It's not groundbreaking different but enough to make the min/max players happy to have an upgrade. The Boss in area 1 would drop a random ring from fire/water/air/petri/acid/magic. This would make the bosses loot be randomly good because one of these rings would end up being more valuable then the others creating it a chance reward. Then further along the road there could be another boss area or a secondary boss for this area that requires you to go deeper in the cavern and do a more complex map. The reward here would be a single non randomized item that would upgrade your ring to 35%. This would be a more stable reward but unlike the previous boss which could have an item worth more but as a 1/6 chance of dropping.

There are many more ways an upgrade type system could work. But I feel this is the best way of retaining old content and keeping everything viable instead of having players see older content as something they can skip to get to new and better items.

Feel free to give your own insight on how endgame should be done and what it is you like about other games and don't like about them.
Old 07-31-2016, 04:25 PM

Unknown has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

I'm all in favor of upgrading equipment. I think this was the intention with enchantments, and we may be looking more on this now that AC is fixed. but improving rings and amulet could be a novel concept to the game.

R did mentioned about 8 different end game modes... to be honest I'm looking forward for other options that don't involve killing bosses. There gota to be a way for merchants to have fun, been equally rewarding and exiting as killing boss monsters.
2008-06-14 12:58:18 Deathwish – killed by a poisonous Xipe Totec corpse
Old 07-31-2016, 05:47 PM
Forum Admin

Arilou has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksparow View Post
I've suggested before a boss that needs both melee and magic users to kill.
So... you suggested Morgos?

Quote:
(I don't think creating a ranged (Archer type) required boss would work due to how resistances are done on monsters from my understanding). But making a boss need a ranged attack and melee attack to kill is doable. This would make a group miniquest area.
There was a spell that created a shield of teleport traps around a monster. That plus immunity to magic and clubs/swords makes it an archer only monster. Contrare and I also discussed coding something that make a monster uniquely vulnerable to missile attacks for our future archer oriented LQ boss plans.
Old 07-31-2016, 08:42 PM
Player Mod

Jacksparow has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arilou View Post
So... you suggested Morgos?
No I was referencing
Quote:
Leviathan
I was thinking to make the Leviathan harder to kill, and abyssal weapons more rare you can make the boss a 3 part fight.

Part one the Leviathan is on the ground, and can only be damaged by melee weapons. in this stage he has 1000% magic and range resistance, and does mixed recoil damage like that of a riagor

Part two the Leviathan flys into the air, and casts a "protective shield" spell to make it immune to magical attacks (you need to range it in order to be able to damage). In this stage he is able to cast spells from his spell list (Death Ray, Blizzard, Dragonbreath, firespray, fireball, wrath of god... typical high level monster spells)

part three his protective shield gets "destroyed by the arrows", and eh is able to be attacked by magic. He is still able to cast his spells.

With the Leviathan fight needing a well rounded team to be beaten his weapons will be even more rare which would allow for them to be as "overpowered" as they are.
But I do know a bit more about game-play balance or at least I think I do to understand that a lot of things suggested then wouldn't quite fly. Also to add, I never played when Morgos was an LQ but if he had a similar mechanic to this then yes I suppose I am suggesting that a Morgos like boss be added to the public maps.
Old 07-31-2016, 10:05 PM
Forum Admin

Arilou has disabled reputation

Morgos is comprised of four parts. An example lineup is as follows: The first is a [mental] projection that is vulnerable to magic but completely immune to cut, stab, and smash. The second is a projection that is vulnerable to cut and smash but immune to magic and stab. The third is a projection that is vulnerable to stab but immune to magic, cut, and smash. "Kill" each one and the next will spawn until finally, you've gotten to his true form which is vulnerable to all forms of attack.

As you may recall, Morgos came up in the thread where you suggested that and a shorted version of his mechanic was offered.