Wyvern Forums

Review Wyvern Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Arcade
Go Back   Wyvern Forums > Archive > Wyvern Forums Archive > Miscellaneous
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chatbox Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Miscellaneous For anything related to Wyvern that does not fit into the other forums (this is not a place to goof off and post whatever nonsense comes to mind).

Old 04-24-2007, 04:00 AM
Forum Admin

Arilou has disabled reputation
Eye Screenshots

In an effort to start the ball rolling as far as reviving some of the old topics goes, you may use this thread to post Wyvern screenshots of your own. In the meantime, below are a few (not all) of the screenshots that I will be displaying in a screenshot section of my website, when it is complete.

http://www.wyvernrpg.com/images/screenshots/Fighting in a Random Dungeon.jpg

http://www.wyvernrpg.com/images/scre...Giant Cave.jpg

http://www.wyvernrpg.com/images/screenshots/Bridge.jpg

http://www.wyvernrpg.com/images/scre...a - Tavern.jpg

http://www.wyvernrpg.com/images/screenshots/Amita.jpg

http://www.wyvernrpg.com/images/scre...lloon Ride.jpg
Old 04-24-2007, 04:35 AM

Jackolantir has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Send a message via AIM to Jackolantir Send a message via MSN to Jackolantir Send a message via Yahoo to Jackolantir Send a message via Skype™ to Jackolantir

http://img92.imageshack.us/img92/9756/spresentwl3.png
What Fredd is doing, I haven't the faintest idea.
Old 04-26-2007, 02:30 PM

quijote has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Man I wish dwarves still had stats like that.
Old 04-27-2007, 12:18 PM

Narhalles has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

heh, if they ever did. >>

would be nice though. (pretty nice screenies Arilou.)
Old 04-30-2007, 10:22 AM
Forum Admin

Eye

This is going to be a feature of the screenshot section of my website that I have been working on recently. Basically what it is, is a side by side comparison of old maps versus new maps and how the design and graphics we use in them have improved over the years. Below are two examples of the ones that will eventually end up on the site.

Click on each image for their larger views.
Old 04-30-2007, 02:58 PM

Salkand has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Send a message via AIM to Salkand

Maybe I am blind, but is there really a difference between those two maps?
Old 04-30-2007, 03:40 PM
Forum Admin

The website will offer a written analysis of things to look for, but yes you are blind. In a nutshell the first map has no scenery, one terrain was used, some flowers were dumped here and there to the point where it looks fake, (look at the flower placement in the second map) monsters that had no business being there and were dumped into the map, (in the new version the scorpion is gone, the demon is gone, the fox that any of the monsters would've eaten is gone - the Minotaur, Griffon, and Evil Trees are also gone, but they would've fit in regardless) and the tree terrain was put together (in the improved map) in a way that makes them look fuller and less fake. What you see in the first map is basically how I start the process of adding trees to a map now - I drag my mouse along and let it fall where it falls. Then I add some tree terrain here, remove some there, and what you see in the second one is how it turns out.

Things to note is that in the second evolution of the map I make use of empty terrain, where as I didn't in the first, but I took it a step further recently and made empty terrain have borders so it melds with the map. Also, you can see that Legolas' portal has replaced the old standard one and in fact has replaced the old one in all my maps as it is just so much better (note also I now use no monster objects on top of teleporters). On top of that the style of putting the darker colored clover terrain next to the trees and lighter colored terrain out in the open is something I originated for the redesign of that area (which I did from scratch by the way - I discarded the previous map and just made a fresh one as one really needs to do when redesigning awful work). I liked that style so much that when I went to redo Amita I imported that style to my new Amita maps and so there is a little bit of history as to where things originated for the very few of you who find that sort of thing interesting. The moral of the story is when you find something you like, you tend to bring it with you instead of leaving it in 4 maps that few people visit.

Anyway, one side by side map comparison will just be Legolas' interior ship view previous to Legolas improving water terrain in general and after. The point of doing something like that is just showing how no matter how well made part of your area is, an improvement on that one minor little aspect is something that one shouldn't overlook. There are certain images which are so badly in need of being redone that I absolutely will not use them under any situation and I think one of the mistakes that new mapmakers make is that they try to add a little bit of everything and don't always make that effort to filter the good from the bad.
Old 04-30-2007, 04:20 PM

Salkand has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Send a message via AIM to Salkand

Ah, now that you point some of it out I see what you mean.
Old 04-30-2007, 05:32 PM

Narhalles has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Arilou something that might make it look better would be to have the dark clover all along 2 sides of all the trees and not the other two. (thus giving a "light source" look.)
Old 04-30-2007, 06:16 PM

Bullfrogz has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Send a message via AIM to Bullfrogz Send a message via MSN to Bullfrogz

Hey Arilou, think Tesh will pitch in and show her updates to various areas. Like Blackrose, those need some mention.
Old 04-30-2007, 07:34 PM
Wizardess

Teshuvah has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

I did very little changing to blackrose as it is not my area. I merely brought it up to current map standards by moving monsters out of town, breaking up areas that made no sense of being together etc.
Those type of things are clearly in map standards now and were not at the time the original was made.

If you think of something specific feel free to mention it, as I said it is not my area.
Old 04-30-2007, 07:56 PM

Yea I know why you redid some of it, but hey, its still a nice improvement that took some time. Why not show the work you did.
Old 04-30-2007, 09:43 PM
Forum Admin

Yeah Blackrose is nothing. If Teshuvah wanted to really redo it she could've made it actually look great. The whole reason for the edit was simply to fix some problems, so really the maps pretty much stayed the same and she just added some forest maps.

Also, her maps were of a higher quality from the start where as mine have gone through a radical evolution as I learned the ropes, perfected my style, and endlessly tweaked things to the extreme. So, they haven't undergone such a visual change as mine have (if you haven't seen the old Forgotten Oak versus the new one it might shock you). Anyway, the final product will eventually include more than just my areas. As is that is the bulk of the screenshots that I have, but since I have to take more to show the improved versions I'll likely go around and take some new ones as well. But sure, if people want any of their screenshots added on I will go ahead and put them up. They won't all just be side by side comparisons (that is just a section within the screenshots section). Rather a lot will just be standalones that can always find their way into the comparison section down the road if things change enough.
Old 04-30-2007, 10:05 PM

Well your free to use anyones I take, but most of mine were just funny stuff that happen. The one of us falling down the crevice with the riagor is pretty good, but if you dont kow where that is, you'd just think its a regular fight between on solid ground.
Old 04-30-2007, 10:17 PM
Forum Admin

Well no this thread is just to display your screenshots, not to advertise them for me to copy over to my site. When I said people I was refering mostly to wizards, but if anyone wants to have their screenshots up there they need to make an effort to contact me and they have to do so after the page is online as I need to focus on just setting it up right now.
Old 04-30-2007, 10:40 PM

Tanm has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

This is slightly off topic, but I'm insanely curious.

I'm aware that wizards often have items in their inventory that aren't accessible by players, like Legolas' hippie stuff. I was wondering if that stuff is special in any way, or if it's just regular stuff with a new name. I know that often the items have special graphics, so time has been put into them. I don't expect to see the hippie clothes in game, but the sword and cloak in your dwarf's inventory seem to be in keeping with the RP sense of them game, though I can see they've been there for quite some time. The armor of fall also looks decent, graphics-wise. Are these items that are planned to be put in game ever, or just for your own entertainment?

Last edited by Tanm : 04-30-2007 at 10:42 PM.
Old 04-30-2007, 10:52 PM
Forum Admin

They're Knop's items. He made so many weapon graphics that it's just impossible to add them all to the game in any reasonable amount of time as we'd end up with a lot of different items that are pretty much clones of each other. Instead we just wait until we have an idea for something and then bring one in (i.e. The Morgos Amulet graphic is something he did which I nabbed for a specific purpose). The current names of things in my inv were just names Knop gave to things (he gives all his art work names which we tend to completely change later). In reality they are no more developed than the bulk of weapons graphics that you can find on his website. The reason I used them was because at the time Rhialto wanted to upgrade the screenshot section of the website and he said that if you're going to take screenshots they should show off a wide array of areas and inv items. So I made a point not just to switch my items around from screenshot to screenshot, but I picked the best looking ones that were around which were Knop's. Unfortunately, I also stupidly thought to show off my pear graphic which is oh so horrible, so my judgement at the time is not as developed as it is now.

But, anyway, every single item you see there was carefully placed and every screenshot was carefully planned. I posed for them all, waited for the right moment to get a wide array of monster spells flying at me, shot my own spells at key moments...I even picked the text you would see (when I found some that I thought was a good example of an ideal playing environment I turned autoscroll off and scrolled up to it).
Old 05-01-2007, 01:37 AM
Player Mod

Clubbz has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

wow.....arilou is a hard worker....I probably would've overlooked the inventory and text......
Old 05-01-2007, 10:35 AM

Nightswift has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Cool

Besides the actual pictures in the scrren shots I think the best part is the text. Wyvern is full of many strange people that say many strange things.