Wyvern Forums

Review Wyvern Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Arcade
Go Back   Wyvern Forums > Archive > Wyvern Forums Archive > General
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chatbox Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General For serious discussions about general Wyvern topics.

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #41  
Old 03-11-2012, 05:57 PM
Arilou's Avatar
Arilou Arilou is offline
Forum Admin
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Arilou has disabled reputation
Default

Actually it's Arilou being Rhialto - I thought it was fitting that I use Rhialto's definition of soon, given the context of what I was talking about. So, like you were supposed to expect the game to come back "soon," expect the next blog post "soon."
  #42  
Old 03-12-2012, 07:15 AM
Jacksparow Jacksparow is offline
Player Mod
 

Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: United States
Jacksparow has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Default

Editor's Note: I totally did not write this post. My friend did. Hi-*her* name is Chaz...mina. So for all you dear people waiting on me for "stuff", whether it's Wyvern or js2-mode or Amazon War Stories or Talent42 or PVOTU or the Effective Emacs movie screenplay or whatever: you can rest easy, confident in the knowledge that I am working 24x7 on your personal needs. I would never DREAM of playing Borderlands all day long for months on end. So *please* stop stalking me. Thank you!




Q: Are you going to bring Wyvern back?

Patience. I'm working on it.


^from R's Blog
  #43  
Old 03-25-2012, 05:18 AM
Arilou's Avatar
Arilou Arilou is offline
Forum Admin
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Arilou has disabled reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard View Post
Editor's Note: I totally did not write this post. My friend did. Hi-*her* name is Chaz...mina. So for all you dear people waiting on me for "stuff", whether it's Wyvern or js2-mode or Amazon War Stories or Talent42 or PVOTU or the Effective Emacs movie screenplay or whatever: you can rest easy, confident in the knowledge that I am working 24x7 on your personal needs. I would never DREAM of playing Borderlands all day long for months on end. So *please* stop stalking me. Thank you!




Q: Are you going to bring Wyvern back?

Patience. I'm working on it.


^from R's Blog
He also changed his "My Sites" listing. The link to his defunct personal blog was taken out, the Wyvern link was changed to read "Wyvern (my extensible game)" instead of "Wyvern (my game)," and he added a couple of new links. Among them is an article he wrote on his personal section of the cabochon.com domain, which was removed around the time of the last downtime.

I wasn't going to say anything as it's possible to read too much into it and I figured that one of you would point it out on your own anyway. But nobody did and I stopped caring, so here you go... take it or don't take it to mean whatever.
  #44  
Old 03-25-2012, 07:19 AM
Jacksparow Jacksparow is offline
Player Mod
 

Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: United States
Jacksparow has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Default

I did notice the Wyvern my extensible game part, but I thought it minor and didn't think anyone would care. I did google the word as well, because it was past my vocabulary. But the fact that he kept wyvern among deleting the others is a good sign.

Last edited by Jacksparow : 03-25-2012 at 07:22 AM.
  #45  
Old 03-25-2012, 08:15 AM
Arilou's Avatar
Arilou Arilou is offline
Forum Admin
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Arilou has disabled reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard View Post
I did notice the Wyvern my extensible game part, but I thought it minor and didn't think anyone would care. I did google the word as well, because it was past my vocabulary. But the fact that he kept wyvern among deleting the others is a good sign.
Actually, the one of note is the last one - The "/~stevey" directory hasn't existed on the server for a long time. So linking to something having to do with that suggests that he either restored it locally and posted the link with the intention that people would be able to access it once he gets everything back online or he plans to restore it while working on bringing everything back online. It's essentially a "coming soon" sign, but you know how those go... either a wizard does get to it soon or it ends up being put off for a prolonged period of time. Hence why I said one shouldn't read too much into it.
  #46  
Old 03-25-2012, 09:34 AM
Jacksparow Jacksparow is offline
Player Mod
 

Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: United States
Jacksparow has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Default

Very true. We all know how Rhialto is with his "coming soons". The server was supposed to be down for a couple hours this downtime after all.
  #47  
Old 03-25-2012, 09:44 PM
Morwen's Avatar
Morwen Morwen is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Morwen has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard View Post
Very true. We all know how Rhialto is with his "coming soons". The server was supposed to be down for a couple hours this downtime after all.
In Rhialto-speak, hour = year.
  #48  
Old 04-14-2012, 01:11 AM
Harbringer Of Good Stuff's Avatar
Harbringer Of Good Stuff Harbringer Of Good Stuff is offline
 

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: In the closet
Harbringer Of Good Stuff is trapped in an Inn behind a dozen clones
Default

it would be all good if he just open-sourced Wyvern right now anyways

I really want to make my own Wyvern clone :/
__________________
The dark cries of the past and the future is inevitable, power is where everything is at.

I look toward the day of being the best I can be.
  #49  
Old 04-14-2012, 01:48 AM
Clubbz's Avatar
Clubbz Clubbz is offline
Player Mod
 

Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: The hood
Clubbz has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Default

You want you're own wyvern clone? Then look into creating your own crossfire server. Wyvern most likely will never be open source, nor do I think it should be.
__________________
There's no harm in you being wrong, but when I'm wrong hundreds of people may end up in trouble......
  #50  
Old 04-14-2012, 09:50 AM
Frosten's Avatar
Frosten Frosten is offline
 

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: United States
Frosten has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbringer Of Good Stuff View Post
it would be all good if he just open-sourced Wyvern right now anyways

I really want to make my own Wyvern clone :/
Where do your ideas come from? Open sourcing would obviously kill the value of the game...

Think a bit before you post nonsense like this.
__________________
"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine

Glacio (Frost Giant Axeman) (level 30)
Then (Human Mage) (level 28)
Shoot (Rakshasa Caveman) (level 26)
Magiz (Halfling Enchanter) (level 26)
Patron (Human Conjurer) (level 25)
Dboss (Halfling Rogue) (level 25)
  #51  
Old 04-14-2012, 04:57 PM
Harbringer Of Good Stuff's Avatar
Harbringer Of Good Stuff Harbringer Of Good Stuff is offline
 

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: In the closet
Harbringer Of Good Stuff is trapped in an Inn behind a dozen clones
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosten View Post
Where do your ideas come from? Open sourcing would obviously kill the value of the game...

Think a bit before you post nonsense like this.
I dont think it would kill the game. If anything, it would make our current game better. We would have more developers and people reviewing the game. Which would also help us get more "players" if thats what you want.

Open sourcing would not kill anything. There are games out there that benefit from the open source model.
__________________
The dark cries of the past and the future is inevitable, power is where everything is at.

I look toward the day of being the best I can be.
  #52  
Old 04-14-2012, 08:22 PM
Trayr's Avatar
Trayr Trayr is offline
 

Join Date: May 2009
Trayr is trapped in an Inn behind a dozen clones
Default

There would be dozens of people that don't know what they are doing, implementing (assuming they manage to figure out how) their dumb ideas.
__________________
Are your gift cards on sale?
  #53  
Old 04-15-2012, 12:22 AM
Crier's Avatar
Crier Crier is offline
 

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: I live in a nice and soft padded room.
Crier has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Send a message via AIM to Crier
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trayr View Post
There would be dozens of people that don't know what they are doing, implementing (assuming they manage to figure out how) their dumb ideas.
Which sadly sums up half of us Wyverneers...

We still talk about a game that doesn't exist >.>
__________________
"Big Brother in the form of an increasingly powerful government and in an increasingly powerful private sector will pile the records high with reasons why privacy should give way to national security, to law and order [...] and the like." - Justice William O. Douglas

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security would deserve neither and lose both." -Benjamin Franklin
  #54  
Old 04-15-2012, 01:26 AM
Irlazy's Avatar
Irlazy Irlazy is offline
Player Mod
 

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Texas
Irlazy has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Default

Seriously I'm starting to think Harbinger is just trolling us because he keeps offering these completely ridiculous ideas on just about every post out there right now. Open sourcing would not improve the game in any way shape or form. It would make it so morons would add things they think are funny but in reality would be crude. It would make it so immature kids who have a basic knowledge of this stuff would add everything they dreamed about. Also we aren't looking for a huge boom in players when our servers have had a hard enough time with what he already have.
  #55  
Old 04-15-2012, 06:33 PM
Jacksparow Jacksparow is offline
Player Mod
 

Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: United States
Jacksparow has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Default

To be honest with the "boom of players" if he does move the server to the amazon cloud server like he has supposedly mentioned (R is about hit or miss on what he promises) than the server should be capable of withstanding a boom of players. But I do agree that open sourcing Wyvern would be a terrible idea.

Now back to your little argument.
  #56  
Old 04-16-2012, 04:41 PM
Harbringer Of Good Stuff's Avatar
Harbringer Of Good Stuff Harbringer Of Good Stuff is offline
 

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: In the closet
Harbringer Of Good Stuff is trapped in an Inn behind a dozen clones
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irlazy View Post
Seriously I'm starting to think Harbinger is just trolling us because he keeps offering these completely ridiculous ideas on just about every post out there right now. Open sourcing would not improve the game in any way shape or form. It would make it so morons would add things they think are funny but in reality would be crude. It would make it so immature kids who have a basic knowledge of this stuff would add everything they dreamed about. Also we aren't looking for a huge boom in players when our servers have had a hard enough time with what he already have.
My ideas might be ridiculous, but don't you go and bashing the open source model.

You assume, that people are morons and that "immature kids" are the developers behind open source models. Which would be the case, if Wyvern went open source.

But the reality is that, there are some amazing developers out there, and I am sure they would devote their time to improving Wyvern. This would all be monitored by the devs and wizards currently in place, if they chose to.

R brought up the idea of open sourcing the game, just so you know. It can make the game better, if it is used properly.
__________________
The dark cries of the past and the future is inevitable, power is where everything is at.

I look toward the day of being the best I can be.

Last edited by Harbringer Of Good Stuff : 04-16-2012 at 04:44 PM.
  #57  
Old 04-16-2012, 05:36 PM
Dracco's Avatar
Dracco Dracco is offline
Player Mod
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Oregon
Dracco has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Default

I'm just afraid that if it goes open source the game will become a calculator-fest, instead of a take-time-to-test-and-see-what-works game. It's like those RTS games, I can play one with my brother and friends, which is fun, or I can go online and get slaughtered by a person who knows how to reach the final age and amass the biggest army in history in 10 minutes.
  #58  
Old 04-16-2012, 05:42 PM
Exile's Avatar
Exile Exile is offline
 

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: In the clutter of mess infront of my computer.
Exile has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dracco View Post
I'm just afraid that if it goes open source the game will become a calculator-fest, instead of a take-time-to-test-and-see-what-works game. It's like those RTS games, I can play one with my brother and friends, which is fun, or I can go online and get slaughtered by a person who knows how to reach the final age and amass the biggest army in history in 10 minutes.
I completely agree with this. Open-sourcing and giving out all the calculations involved takes away from the fun of a game because there's nothing else you really have to figure out. People would also try to make absurd changes to how things work which would ruin the games balance in one way or another.
__________________
Attempts to be good, but obviously fails.
  #59  
Old 04-17-2012, 02:55 AM
Harbringer Of Good Stuff's Avatar
Harbringer Of Good Stuff Harbringer Of Good Stuff is offline
 

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: In the closet
Harbringer Of Good Stuff is trapped in an Inn behind a dozen clones
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
I completely agree with this. Open-sourcing and giving out all the calculations involved takes away from the fun of a game because there's nothing else you really have to figure out. People would also try to make absurd changes to how things work which would ruin the games balance in one way or another.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dracco View Post
I'm just afraid that if it goes open source the game will become a calculator-fest, instead of a take-time-to-test-and-see-what-works game. It's like those RTS games, I can play one with my brother and friends, which is fun, or I can go online and get slaughtered by a person who knows how to reach the final age and amass the biggest army in history in 10 minutes.

I like how you guys brought up the calculations, or the theory-crafting aspect of Wyvern. It really brings up some of the important questions of a game going open source. Especially, how a player could potentially make one of the best build's in the game easily, and test it rapidly.

Exile, regarding your statement about people making absurd changes, that ruin the game/game balance. I believe, if the game does go open source, it would have to be really done in a way that wouldn't break the game. Whether that means developers sending patches to be approved off and merged, or some other system of development for our game.

I am sure the current wizards and R have an idea of what direction Wyvern should take. I can only hope that it goes in a direction that will benefit all of us, whether its open source or closed...
__________________
The dark cries of the past and the future is inevitable, power is where everything is at.

I look toward the day of being the best I can be.

Last edited by Harbringer Of Good Stuff : 04-17-2012 at 05:12 PM. Reason: typo
  #60  
Old 04-17-2012, 02:06 PM
Irlazy's Avatar
Irlazy Irlazy is offline
Player Mod
 

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Texas
Irlazy has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Default

Listen dude I don't mean to bash anyone or anyone's ideas but the truth of the matter is the question do R and the other wizards have the time to monitor all the changes that open sourcing the game would have. I don't doubt that there are wonderful devs out there that can improve on the game. However I have faith in the games system of testing those devs both in terms of dedication and loyalty to the game and being capable of developing from know how stand point and ability to make unique content. Anyway in the end I still think that open source won't work for this game. I will gladly except that I am wrong if it ever happens and turns out to be alright but for now I will continue to think its a bad idea and hope that it stays in the capable hands of the wizards personally approved by R. Anyway don't take it personal Harbinger but that is my strong opinion on open sourcing.
 


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Wyvern Forums
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:36 AM.

Forum: Contact Us - Archive - Top

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.