Wyvern Forums

Review Wyvern Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Arcade
Go Back   Wyvern Forums > Archive > Wyvern Forums Archive > General
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chatbox Today's Posts

General For serious discussions about general Wyvern topics.

Old 07-11-2007, 01:22 PM
Forum Admin

Arilou has disabled reputation

*chuckles* Rhialto doesn't work on areas. In fact, if he were to try to make a set of maps they wouldn't be up to today's standards. The whole reason he promoted us was so we could deal with content, freeing up more of his time to work on the hard stuff. Before then he had to pitch in to make some of the very early maps (which he did completely in text btw - there was no mapeditor) but those days are long over. Now if Rhialto has an idea for an area he can post it somewhere and a wizard may or may not come along and decide to make it (that's how Asgard was created). And the game is better for it as we're a team with vastly different strengths and weaknesses and so we all have our little nitch that compliments each other. You wouldn't want Rhialto to try to do my job anymore than you would want me doing his. *bangs a wrench against the server and scratches furry little head* err?
Old 07-11-2007, 01:57 PM

Moraath has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Default Hrm.

Hmmm, how much do you think it will change because of the simple fact it's been down so long? I'm fairly certain it will -feel- different, but, for example, there will probably be no new players (though certainly some new characters), and the feel of the community has definitely changed. In addition, the economy will probably be a little weirder for awhile, and most of the chat will probably be based upon the fact that it's back up, reminiscing, and perhaps a little celebration.

All in all, I'm probably about 92.3% sure that when the server is up again, it will have changed. Just not in the way that people have been thinking about.

Just A Thought...
Old 07-11-2007, 05:29 PM

Logwad has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Send a message via AIM to Logwad Send a message via MSN to Logwad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moraath View Post
All in all, I'm probably about 92.3% sure that when the server is up again, it will have changed. Just not in the way that people have been thinking about.
Only thing that's changing is us and everything relating to the amount of players on.
Old 07-11-2007, 11:09 PM

Linda has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

I say, the ressurrection of the server will be a wonderful event that will not only allow old players to talk about the game, but new players to join. Once the game is up, there's sure to be a lot of talk (players talking to their non-player friends, telling them about it, websites might make mention of it), which is bound to attract new players.

Reading some of the stuff that Arilou's said in this post, I'm quite hopeful for the future of Wyvern.

I'm currently posting because I was struck with a sudden urge to go and chat with folks, and it ocurred to me that the best place to do this was Wyvern. Of course, I checked, and of course, it's still down . . . but meh, patience is a virtue.

And now I must go, because I think my cat's sitting on my banjo, which can't be good.
Old 07-12-2007, 01:49 AM

Leeksoup has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Am I the only one who sorta hopes all the characters are deleted? You know, a fresh start? It honestly might help the game if everyone started at low levels again.
Old 07-12-2007, 11:59 AM

themadhobo has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

I dunno, that might be more of a pain than anything. Itll be easy to get back into the game if I can just check my aliases, then I might enjoy starting a new character. Remembering all the commands fresh from ****dom though might make it somewhat tiresome starting up again.
Old 07-12-2007, 05:28 PM

Logwad has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Send a message via AIM to Logwad Send a message via MSN to Logwad

Come to think of it, now would prolly be the easiest time to do a char reset.

Only people left are the diehards, and a reset wouldn't send us away. We are so abusable. D:
Old 07-12-2007, 07:22 PM

I think the only advantage of the reset is that those crazy people on the scoreboards would be eliminated (I mean the guys who hoffed in like 10 hours) then seemingly never played again. If there was a server reset it would be nice to get on my old characters to see their builds so I could choose whether or not Id like to replicate them.
Old 07-13-2007, 01:09 PM

Lanterra has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamel View Post
There arn't any bathrooms in wyvern silly. =P
So THAT'S why my characters all look like they are doing the potty dance XD

And on the subject of a server reset.... I doubt the wizards would do that to us, but honestly I don't think I'd mind that much.
Old 07-13-2007, 02:03 PM
Player Mod

Clubbz has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

You people need to read older posts before starting discussions like this, it has already been said that there is not going to be a stat wipe several times during the downage. The only way all the characters would be reset is if there was some freak accident that only stole the character data........
Old 07-13-2007, 02:33 PM
Forum Admin

Arilou has disabled reputation

*nods at Clubbz* It's pointless to do a stat wipe unless the game is first balanced. Balancing the game takes a lot of work in and of itself and is something that needs to be done while there is a playerbase as changes need to be tested, tweaked, tested again, etc., all over an extended period of time.
Old 07-13-2007, 03:57 PM

Bullfrogz has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Send a message via AIM to Bullfrogz Send a message via MSN to Bullfrogz

And I also belive its been stated that the score lists will not change.
Old 07-13-2007, 07:50 PM

halldor has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

The way that I understand it from countless wizard repetitions, is that the work being done is on basic things like the operating system and database software. Basic improvements that might help with lag (maybe), but not game-play bugs like, say, hurled weapons not working.
Old 07-14-2007, 06:46 PM

Hehe, based on the yearlong absence of the server I think the basic server upgrade turned into an extremely complex and difficult server upgrade. I bet by the end of that Rhialto will be qualfied for several more jobs though haha.
Old 07-15-2007, 12:03 AM

Tanm has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Does anyone else feel a bit comforted by the fact that the Wyvern server is being worked on by a person who codes for Google?

Because I do.
Old 07-16-2007, 03:02 AM
Player Mod

Clubbz has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

I feel comforted by the fact that the server is being worked on by its creator, rather than him having lackey's do the work for him.....Just be patient, wyvern will come back, and I will be here for it's return......the question is will you?
Old 07-16-2007, 07:15 PM

Rikkim has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

I'm really only waiting for the billion threads saying "It's back it's back!"

Afterwards I expect lots of kegs and parties in .. uhm.. Argh, I forgot the town's name ._.
Old 07-16-2007, 07:31 PM

there probably wont be more than one thread saying its back, we will all be too busy playing the game! Of course, that may be a long ways away.
Old 07-16-2007, 09:51 PM

Xae has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

im 110% sure that noone will notice any changes in anything.
Old 07-16-2007, 10:12 PM

King Kojack has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clubbz View Post
I feel comforted by the fact that the server is being worked on by its creator, rather than him having lackey's do the work for him.....Just be patient, wyvern will come back, and I will be here for it's return......the question is will you?
I think It would be better if he had all his lackey do all the work, because then it would get done much much faster, while Rhialto would only have to do a little tweaking and **voila** presto servero!

If Rhialto works on it by himself it would take months and months to get back up. It may be "perfect" but it won't have very many players left.

But having a all of the Arch wizards, (since most of them are real life close personal friends of Rhialto with programming experience and access to the server, by the way) who ALSO know the game and it's inner workings very well, if they were ALL at work on the server (along with Rhialto) to get it back up the game could be in final stages in weeks, maybe days? And then the Head Honcho Rhialto could just do a sweep over the system, fix the kinks (they're bound to make a few), and give his seal of approval, and the game would be back up and running! Sure it may have a few bugs, but it would be back up and bugs aren't really an issue for Wizards so once they got on all the bugs would be gone within a few days. I'm happy dealing with a few extra bugs, I just wanna play.
The Easier The Game, The Greater My Threat.
The Greater My Threat, The More Attention I Draw.
The More Attention I Draw, The Tighter They Play Me.
The Tighter They Play Me, The More I Train."