Wyvern Forums

Review Wyvern Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Arcade
Go Back   Wyvern Forums > Archive > Wyvern Forums Archive > General
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chatbox Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General For serious discussions about general Wyvern topics.

Old 04-10-2012, 09:51 PM

Exile has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

All of the people who want a stat wipe must not of put very much work into their characters to realize what they would have to do to get it back.
Old 04-10-2012, 11:33 PM

Morgus has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
All of the people who want a stat wipe must not of put very much work into their characters to realize what they would have to do to get it back.
I've logged a considerable amount of time on multiple characters since 2003, but I'm not that bummed out about the stat wipe. More than anything, I just wanna play the game again. My only regret is that I don't have old screenshots to have a *somewhat* tangible record of my fond memories.
Old 04-11-2012, 12:37 AM

Frosten has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
Okay, Mr. delete Exile as a level 28 halfling with over 500 qp...

And honestly, I would probably prefer a stat wipe. Sure, we have spent days upon days working on skillsets, doing quests, and acquiring currency, but look at how much that is doing for us now! It would be a truly fresh start.

Glacio (Frost Giant Axeman) (level 30)
Then (Human Mage) (level 28)
Shoot (Rakshasa Caveman) (level 26)
Magiz (Halfling Enchanter) (level 26)
Patron (Human Conjurer) (level 25)
Dboss (Halfling Rogue) (level 25)
Old 04-11-2012, 03:33 AM

Trayr is trapped in an Inn behind a dozen clones

A stat wipe would be nice to get rid of people on the score list with more Quest Points than it is possible to get anymore and ridiculous amounts of XP.
Old 04-11-2012, 05:06 AM

Steovanni has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

I wouldn't mind either way. However, I'd be more concerned about what it'd do to our already small player base...
Old 04-11-2012, 06:12 PM

jezrald has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbringer Of Good Stuff View Post
Regarding, the item loss idea. I think it would have to be implemented so that you lose gear that you have equipped. But you get the option to designate what you want to lose.
Two words for you, my friend: gem weapons.

Also, as someone alluded to earlier, this is ripe for cheating by its nature: you could equip nothing but no-transfer items and artifacts and therefore have no risk of permanent loss; alternatively, you could arrange with a friend to "trade" unique quest rewards, depending on how it was implemented.

I would personally be entirely unwilling to participate, and I also think it's a bad idea for game design.

Jezrald is a Level 27 Halfling Archer; my other alts are all below 20.
Old 04-12-2012, 12:56 AM

Harbringer Of Good Stuff is trapped in an Inn behind a dozen clones

Quote:
Originally Posted by jezrald View Post
Two words for you, my friend: gem weapons.

Also, as someone alluded to earlier, this is ripe for cheating by its nature: you could equip nothing but no-transfer items and artifacts and therefore have no risk of permanent loss; alternatively, you could arrange with a friend to "trade" unique quest rewards, depending on how it was implemented.

I would personally be entirely unwilling to participate, and I also think it's a bad idea for game design.
Honestly, it really depends on the way it is implemented. There are better ideas out there though. Someone just needs to realize it...

For example, we could make it so that quest rewards dont drop at all or are not allowed. Same goes for mini-quest items. The same idea can go for other items.

Really, there should be better incentives out there...

I look toward the day of being the best I can be.
Old 04-12-2012, 02:56 AM
Player Mod

Irlazy has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

This is a dungeon crawling game that focuses on adventure and exploration. PvP is a completely optional part of the game that is there to give players a break from the dungeon crawling and exploring. The incentive for PvP in this game is the break from the norm and the bragging rights that come from beating someone. Outside of that the PvP LQs offer rewards for those that stand out from the rest. Some games offer PvP where there are greater rewards for winning a battle. Though I have lost interest in Runescape they have done rather well in how they implemented their PvP and offer the risk and rewards you are talking about here. What you are asking for just isn't going to happen and the majority of the players here don't want that to happen. I could list off one hundred reasons why it just wouldn't work in this game and a hundred reasons why I like the way it is. So the point is this is the wrong game for what your asking for. If you played many years ago maybe you would understand better but for now you will just have to take what you have and live with it and who knows maybe R will decide to jump in the time machine go back in time and undo all the balancing corrections he has made or the wizards have made through the years and implement what you want.
Old 04-12-2012, 04:25 AM
Player Mod

Jacksparow has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

In my personal opinion. The only thing that would benefit PVP personally would be adding the pk guild rating to a new high score system. This would allow players bragging rights for their pvp skills outside of the game itself.
Old 04-12-2012, 01:06 PM
Player Mod

Dracco has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

I like the idea of a PK score list but current points may have to be wiped as I have 3740ish points on my hydra from the first week or so the hydra form was implemented and I'm positive some of those points are from overkilling the target.

The current PVP system is excellent. It's for fame, not fortune. Although there have even been PK live quests where the last being alive gets the prize which can be considered a monetary gain from PKing. I greatly enjoyed the side scroller PK-fest held in 2003 or 2004 even though I lost (fat hydras couldn't climb some ladders in there).
Old 04-21-2012, 05:25 PM

Penny has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Send a message via MSN to Penny

I decided if I come back I want to quest more.
Which is a decision I would constantly make and then give up because Wyvern quests were too hard for me. xD I'm just not good at that kind of tactical thinking and erm, well, logic...
Maybe I've gotten smarter. Probably not. Maybe I will get smarter by summer time. I'm sure I'll atleast learn how to break things when I do my runs with the fire department.
Old 04-27-2012, 01:24 AM

Hoxid has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Is Rhialto ever going to make it open source? I'd like to fiddle around with it.
Old 04-27-2012, 02:43 PM
Player Mod

Dracco has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoxid View Post
Is Rhialto ever going to make it open source? I'd like to fiddle around with it.
Old 04-27-2012, 07:59 PM

Frosten has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by dracco View Post
man oh man, you beat me to the punch D:

Glacio (Frost Giant Axeman) (level 30)
Then (Human Mage) (level 28)
Shoot (Rakshasa Caveman) (level 26)
Magiz (Halfling Enchanter) (level 26)
Patron (Human Conjurer) (level 25)
Dboss (Halfling Rogue) (level 25)
Old 04-27-2012, 11:24 PM

He should, it would make the game a million times better.

Old 04-28-2012, 01:50 AM
Player Mod

Clubbz has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Open source would not make the game any better at all. It would only invite a bunch of half-wits who think they know how to balance the game, only to create horribly lopsided worlds. Everyone thinks they know how to 'fix' things, until actually given the tools to do so.

Everyone knows that guy who claims he can fix anything on a car until you give him a wrench.
Or perhaps its the guy who knows everything about home renovations, until you ask for a hand.

It's exactly the same here, people who think they know how to 'fix' or improve the game, would only implement the ideas they want and create more problems on the flipside.

I'm sure most of the core group of fans of the game agree when I say, I'd rather this stay soley in the developing hands of the man who created it(well people if you include the wizards with the maps). Nothing is perfect, but then again, if we didn't enjoy it, we wouldn't be waiting for it.
Old 04-28-2012, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clubbz View Post
Open source would not make the game any better at all. It would only invite a bunch of half-wits who think they know how to balance the game, only to create horribly lopsided worlds. Everyone thinks they know how to 'fix' things, until actually given the tools to do so.

Everyone knows that guy who claims he can fix anything on a car until you give him a wrench.
Or perhaps its the guy who knows everything about home renovations, until you ask for a hand.

It's exactly the same here, people who think they know how to 'fix' or improve the game, would only implement the ideas they want and create more problems on the flipside.

I'm sure most of the core group of fans of the game agree when I say, I'd rather this stay soley in the developing hands of the man who created it(well people if you include the wizards with the maps). Nothing is perfect, but then again, if we didn't enjoy it, we wouldn't be waiting for it.
Now, now, the open source model has its benefits. Let's not get the wrong ideas about it

Open sourcing can mean anything, in my opinion. As long as it can attract developers to make their own patches or even new content, then I am all up for it. I would rather have the game developed, instead of it being dead for months.

Old 04-28-2012, 12:16 PM
Forum Admin

Arilou has disabled reputation

Quote:
Now, now, the open source model has its benefits. Let's not get the wrong ideas about it

Open sourcing can mean anything, in my opinion. As long as it can attract developers to make their own patches or even new content, then I am all up for it. I would rather have the game developed, instead of it being dead for months.
You seem to of this delusion that open sourcing a MMORPG is the same thing as open sourcing a solo game or one with a lobby system for limited multiplayer gaming. Those are the type of games that people make mods for because they have little reason to take the whole game for themselves and run a direct or modified copy of it. With a MMORPG, you will have multiple people who just want to host a copy of the game on their dinky server, you'll have multiple people who will want to run a modified version that fits their alternative visions, (there would be "good old day" servers that ignore updates, high xp/gold servers, etc.) and you will have people who will take the source code and use it as the basis their very own game (see Crossfire, which has had a number of games branch off from it - as an aside, their wikipedia article erroneously labels Wyvern as a "java clone" of it even though its the only game listed there that doesn't use a single line of their code).

All of those things divide a playerbase and, with that, the available talent. Therefore, the chances of the so called "main" game becoming stagnant would be high under normal conditions, but things become more complicated with Wyvern as the only way it would be open sourced is if Rhialto gave up on the idea of working on it himself [or turning control over to someone] and instead decided to throw it to the wolves so it could go on in some form or another. That means there would be no immediate leadership to try to build a team around or to hold things together. The code would just be out there for anyone to grab and do with it what they will.

The only benefit to open sourcing the game would be that there would likely always be some version of Wyvern to play no matter what. So if one person decided to take their server down (like Rhialto has done twice now) you could just hop over to another version. But the lifespan of those versions would be iffy, so you may have difficulty making any sustainable progress with your characters.

The part where you want people to be able to come in and work on developing the game under guidelines is how the game is set up right now - Anyone can come along and apply to work on the game so that they can develop new content. The system can be tweaked to be more or less open without giving up control and, in fact, there were longstanding plans to make it easier for people to help work on things.

You may not realize it, but the type of game that you really want is one where Rhialto makes those improvements as part of his return to actively working on Wyvern himself. That is what needs to happen for the game to truly grow again and remain stable. Of course, even though he remains resistant to giving up control of his game, it's been 8 years now of him saying he wants get back to working on it. Sooooo... take from what you will.
Old 04-28-2012, 12:18 PM
Player Mod

Irlazy has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Not gonna beat a dead horse here but yeah... The system we have is the one I like and also even if the game goes into a two year long developmental stasis and you still wouldn't be able to do everything there is to do in this game. I know I prefer an ever changing world around me just like everyone else but the amount of original content already in this game is just ridiculous and the community itself has a tendency of keeping things fresh. You could go training in the same RD for an entire week and never have even close to the same experience twice in that week. As a matter of fact rather then new content I would like to see the wizzies tweak the existing content already in the game as they were before the most recent batch of server issues. And I don't want some wannabe developer taking over one of the wizzies maps or skills or items and tweaking it his/her way. I want to see what the creator of the content achieve the end goal they envisioned when they thought about their creations. So once again I will say that I strongly oppose open sourcing this game. GOOD DAY TO YOU SIR! *chuckles*
Old 04-28-2012, 07:35 PM
Wizardess

Teshuvah has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:

And can we please stop turning multiple threads into the same discussion on open sourcing.
KTHX...