View Single Post
Old 01-30-2012, 05:26 PM

Giuseppe has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

This might seem like an odd post from an unfamiliar name, but please bear with me as I explain myself.

I began playing Wyvern in the really early days...it would have been pre-2004 at least. I know that to be the case because I began playing this game when I was in middle school, and I started high school in 2004. I had played loads and loads of free online games before Wyvern, some well known (like the notorious Runescape), and some not so well known (did anyone ever play Vagabond's Quest of Race War Kingdoms?). Anyway, Wyvern put them all to shame. Its completely dynamic nature made it utterly unique, and I loved how it was constantly evolving thanks to a very lively community (if I remember correctly, there were as many as a hundred people on at peak hours). There were bugs, and some things were totally unbalanced, but overall I found it to be far and away better than anything else I had played. I logged many hours with my best friend at the time, and I look back on those years fondly (there certainly wasn't much more for me to be nostalgic about in those years: middle school sucked!).

As the years wore on, I started becoming more interested in girls than games (as is so wont to happen). Furthermore, I became a pretty fanatical gear head, which also took my focus away from Wyvern. Eventually, I stopped playing altogether. Fast forward to 2008, my first year of college. For whatever reason, I started thinking about Wyvern again. I started poking around, and I found that it was still up and running. For some reason, I stopped playing my old character (which I believe was named Ultrakitty) and made this one (Giuseppe, after the man who made my motorcycle!). (I doubt any of you remember Ultrakitty, I was more interested in dungeon crawling at the time than I was in discussing all the reasons Runescape sucked). Anyway, my return to Wyvern was more than a bit disappointing. Many things had been changed that made it feel more constrained than before, while the number of bugs seemed to have increased exponentially. The player base had sloughed off as well. All in all, Wyvern seemed like a great idea that was in its twilight years. The updates that had taken place were mostly for the worse.

And now it is January 2012, and I am in my final semester of college. Again, for reasons unknown, I decided to check on Wyvern again. I was not shocked at what I found, but that makes it no less sad. I am in full favor of a Wyvern renaissance, and I truly hope that the community finds its way. Though I cannot speak from the technical side of things, as a user I can tell that there are tons of things that need to be done in order to bring the game up to date and reclaim the lost user base. There seems to be a lot up in the air at the moment, so I will be interested to see how everything pans out.

I don't think there is much I can offer in the way of assistance, but I would be honored to sign any sort of petition that you all have drafted for Rhialto.

Rock on.