View Single Post
Old 11-25-2013, 10:25 AM

Bullfrogz has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Send a message via AIM to Bullfrogz Send a message via MSN to Bullfrogz

Status Update: Giving up on ruby JRuby on Rails
Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhialto
The only instructions online appear to be these: http://olabini.com/blog/2009/04/jrub...le-app-engine/[1]
I tried following them, but basically every single step was a huge effort, since it didn't work exactly as he'd written it.
I'm going to port to Django. https://developers.google.com/appeng.../django-nonrel[2]
Looks like it is actually supported by the Google App Engine team, so I will be able to bug them directly if I have any problems.
I already know Python pretty well (heck, a good 1/4 of Wyvern is written in Python), so it should be straightforward. I'll try to get in an hour a day this week.
I'm relieved as I write this. JRoR was really, really painful. Django will be better, I'm sure of it.
EDIT: we have liftoff -- http://wyvern-web.appspot.com[3]
It'll take some time to get everything migrated over. Plus I can't remember what the website looked like right before it went down. That background image looks unfamiliar. Anyone have an archived screenshot of the last known version of the website?
Status Update: Trying to get the website running - 04/04/2013
Link

Quote:
I spent 6 hours on the game last night. Kinda got nowhere, but I learned a lot.
My first goal was to get the website back up, on Google App Engine. The website is in Ruby on Rails. App Engine kinda semi sorta supports that with JRuby on Rails, but it's unofficial. And buggy. And slow. And all the documentation is pretty old. The App Engine team at Google told me that it's a bad idea, since it'll be slow.
The site is mostly static content. I was mostly using Rails as a simple way to have common header, footer and sidebars on each page. So it sort of doesn't matter that it's "slow" on App Engine, since it'll be fast enough. If I can get it loading at all, that is.
I'm going to try again each night and hopefully see progress by Sunday. If it just flat-out doesn't want to work, then I'll port the website to some other framework. Probably Python-based. Shouldn't really take that long, but I'd prefer to leave it in Rails for now.
I'll post again about the website on Sunday-ish. Wish me luck!

Greetings! - April 2013
Link

Quote:
I am actively working on getting Wyvern up and running on Google's cloud platform. I will post updates to this subreddit periodically.
I also hope we can have lots of fun on this subreddit, especially with ideas around how we can improve the cloud-based version of the game.
There is a lot of work to do before we're ready to launch. I don't expect it to be ready to open the doors again until Fall. But it's in active development now, and we should have at least the website up and running in maybe a month.
In the meantime, tell everyone you know about this subreddit -- I'll be spending a lot of time here!

Last edited by Bullfrogz : 11-25-2013 at 11:11 AM.