View Single Post
Old 04-17-2013, 11:17 AM

Crier has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower
Send a message via AIM to Crier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arilou View Post
Anyway, when I do return to fantasy I think I'll go with the "Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn" trilogy by Tad Williams. Anyone know this series/author? I selected the books while in Barnes and Noble because they were lengthy tombs that seemed interesting based on their back covers. But, I actually don't know anything about them and have been putting off reading them for the longest time because I'd be going in blind and usually I like to research fantasy books ahead of time. They've been overlooked too long though and need attention. I have some more non-fantasy books/stories to get to and then by June I'll be back my swords and sorcerers.
Tad Williams is an amazing author, I loved his Otherland series, but I am guessing it would be too Sci-Fi for you. His new book "Dirty Streets of Heaven" was ones of the books you just burst out laughing while reading it. It's set in a contemporary time to ours, and isn't really fantasy but kinda...and the whole thing is written like a Noir film, really entertaining.

However, I never read "Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn" from him but judging by his other works, I would say go ahead and try it out anyway.
"Big Brother in the form of an increasingly powerful government and in an increasingly powerful private sector will pile the records high with reasons why privacy should give way to national security, to law and order [...] and the like." - Justice William O. Douglas

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security would deserve neither and lose both." -Benjamin Franklin