View Single Post
Old 11-26-2013, 06:21 PM
Player Mod

Nodlove has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullfrogz View Post
If a group of friends want to host their own server, and say remove restrictions on money, levels, items, etc. and test out builds for fun, who are they hurting in doing so?
They would be hurting those without the time and/or means for doing such. Testing out builds means they gain a significant advantage on the "main" server. That advantage would be almost like cheating, all players should be subject to the rules of the game, especially if there are repercussions for a failing build. There should be ways to do things just "for fun" in the context of the game, in a fair fashion to those who can't afford server costs or don't have a friend with the means of doing so.
There could eventually be a necessity for multiple servers, sure, but I'd rather have all servers run in a similar way to the "main" server, that way there could even be the possibility of "switching" the server a character is on, if a person or group realizes, say, several of their real life friends are playing on a different server. But I feel like that sort of thing would be something to consider far in the future.
I also feel lost when a giant list of servers appears on a game I'm playing. I never know which one to click on, whether it's better to play on a server that's "Almost full" or one that's "Empty" or some other cryptic enumeration scheme. Sometimes I get frustrated and just uninstall the game and never play it again; not that those games are bad, but hitting that wall without a little guidance can be daunting, especially when they call a server a "PvP" server, since I usually have no prior knowledge of their PvP model, (team-based, free for all, situational, etc.), or have other, similar labels that make no sense to me. The worst is when I play a game for a few hours on a server after a friend suggests a game, only to find out that I'm not on the same server.

Also, am I the only one who noticed this?
"And I won't be able to use any of the existing Wyvern technology or Cabochon-owned content, which includes the music (which makes me very sad!)"
"...One bit of good news is that the wizards own their content, so 95% of the content from Wyvern (maps, items and so on) doesn't actually belong to Cabochon, and should be reusable in the new game (if I can make the technology work)"

I'm not saying anything against this, it's just that the contradiction made me laugh.