View Single Post
Old 02-23-2013, 10:06 AM

thedib has just set foot in the Tutorial Tower

Sorry I havn't replied sooner its been a really busy couple of weeks at work. I'm not actually planning on making a game its pure theory crafting(I feel like I'm repeating myself alot on this point).

I wouldn't copy wyvern as it sits, it is impossible, what is possible is to take elements of it that helped make it amazing. The open class/race/spell/guild system as well as the player created content.

While looking around I did find a good open source version of minecraft, tbh it already includes many of the systems I'd need, Questing and the character development are the big things that would have to be added. And just fyi my goal would be to create the system for other people to create amazing maps/content and have it feel like a game itself to create them, that is the crux of the whole idea, you guys are getting hung up on minor features and other things that there are many valid open source examples of all over the internet. Your right in saying that it would take time, most of it is well documented old hat stuff, yet time consuming to integrate and test. But seeing as how I'm not planning to apply code to screen, the time factor is irrelevant.

What are your thoughts on a 3d map builder for an mmorpg with a similar class system to wyvern, and map creation that feels very similar to minecraft, with a bit more of an Im an amazing wizard of creation feel to it?

The exact reason you could never recreate wyvern, is the player driven content, Id like to hypothetically give something to the world thats a similar 3d platform for others creativity.

ps. If I was working on creating something, id be looking for feedback on the idea before I ever started, then recruit people to help with the project theres forums for game development all over the web. I'm not the kind of person the gets daunted easily by what most people see as impossible, Im also not dumb enough to try a project like this solo.

pps. I don't want to hear about how hard or how long it would take, those are obvious points, and omg so well documented on these forums. I also don't care about the current open sourcing bs, its a continual rant for brownie points half the time and not important. What im looking for and not getting is feedback about the actual idea, would you be interested in playing the game/creating maps in such a fashion? Playing a 3d version of wyverns rpg system in a world that looks like minecraft, with the map building itself feeling as close to a game as humanly possible? Having a player rated system for content that allows wizards to get maps onto pay servers to pay them for their creativity?

Last edited by thedib : 02-23-2013 at 10:44 AM.